Is sugar more evil than fat?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Vegetables offer way more vitamins than most fruits, and they're usually lower in calories, too.

No. They offer DIFFERENT vitamins and vegetables are not very high in fiber, whereas most fruits are. You need fiber for a healthy colon.

If I eat just a piece of fruit, I still feel hungry. But if I eat it with a little protein or fat, it keeps me full just fine.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Your body needs sugar and fat to function.

Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential.

Right, hypoglycemia isn't a real thing nor is it dangerous

Ahem...I am prone to hypoglycemia and went on Atkins, and it ELIMINATED the symptoms. I never felt better, as a matter of fact! Glucose, which IS essential for your body to function and can be made from fat and protein, in addition to being made from carbs, but it's not ONLY made from carbs.

And what is glucose?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So, I can only eat protein?

In accordance to the post, no! Protein will contain fat. So maybe veggies with no carbs???

Uh...???

What???

It's about balance, people. Table sugar isn't essential. Naturally occurring sugars found in non-processed foods are totally fine. Table sugar isn't evil, but it should be moderated. Too much of anything is bad for you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential.

Ahem...I am prone to hypoglycemia and went on Atkins, and it ELIMINATED the symptoms. I never felt better, as a matter of fact! Glucose, which IS essential for your body to function and can be made from fat and protein, in addition to being made from carbs, but it's not ONLY made from carbs.

And what is glucose?

You're purposely being argumentative, aren't you? I SPECIFICALLY stated that "Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential." Don't be pick on me, because you want to make yourself feel smart today.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you white rabbit it was getting to be a bit much. Some people just love to argue.
  • Acg67
    Options

And what is glucose?

You're purposely being argumentative, aren't you? I SPECIFICALLY stated that "Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential." Don't be pick on me, because you want to make yourself feel smart today.

"Your body needs sugar and fat to function."

"Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential."

So by saying the first statement wasn't true, now you're moving the goalposts?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thank you white rabbit it was getting to be a bit much. Some people just love to argue.
    If posting sane, scientifically backed facts is arguing ...
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

And what is glucose?

"Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential."

You're misappropriating your minimal critical thinking skills. I explained myself clearly. Go pick on someone else.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

^^Agreed. Getting back to work, now. I've already studied biology and nutrition. I don't need to spoon feed it to people.
  • Acg67
    Options

And what is glucose?

You're misappropriating your minimal critical thinking skills. I explained myself clearly. Go pick on someone else.

Clearly? Meaning contradicting yourself? I see, I guess we have different definitions of the word clearly
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    that's like asking what is better
    vodka or whisky

Vodka :drinker:

No way. Whiskey is clearly better.

You have obviously had too much sugar and it has clouded your judgement. But let's share a drink anyway :drinker:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Depending on the brand....they are the same.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    vodka or whisky

Whisky.
  • panda_butt
    panda_butt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my high fat diet. :D
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Some of you people desperately need to take a Biology class. Sugar and fat are essential to LIFE. They are not evil. YOUR irresponsible, excess consumption of them is what results in "evil" consequences. Cutting them completely out of your diet will only result in serious illness or death, and you would have nobody to blame but yourself. As with everything else, moderation is the key to safe and healthy living.

AGREE!!!! Ignorance runs wild on these threads!!! JS
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You know what's good? Fat with sugar in it...that's the bomb...

fat-3.jpg
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    vodka or whisky

Vodka ... DUH! ...
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I simply am not the type to enter a debate on a weight loss forum. Easy girls your both pretty :)

Now anything you take in excess is bad for you. Whether it be fat or sugar. Good Fat(peanuts for example) is however essential to the human body for your hormones and fuel but glucose/fructose is also essential because your body can use that for fuel as well. It is when both are taken to excess or eaten improperly that issues arise and I will leave it at that.

Hope that helps

Tof
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    So, I can only eat protein?

In accordance to the post, no! Protein will contain fat. So maybe veggies with no carbs???

Uh...???

What???

It's about balance, people. Table sugar isn't essential. Naturally occurring sugars found in non-processed foods are totally fine. Table sugar isn't evil, but it should be moderated. Too much of anything is bad for you.

What is the difference between table sugar and naturally occurring sugars? How does it affect/impact your body? I assume one has a bad impact and the other has a good impact?

From what I understand and what I've experienced with my own diet, naturally occurring, sugars are more well-received by the body. Sugar alone causes a spike in glucose and a quick drop/crash in glucose after it is used by the body. In non-processed forms, like fruit, for example, it doesn't convert to glucose as quickly and lessens the "crash," because the body processes it all slower.

However, in general, you have to do what is right for YOUR body.

Personally, I do well limiting processed foods, white bread, white rice, and sugars, or, at least, balancing those things with proteins and fats. When I just eat sugars, such as a donut for breakfast, I crash hard. I'm much better off eating a 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, because it keeps my blood sugars stable. I've noticed that cultures that eat high carb, low fat diets tend to eat more often, and I believe this is the reason for it. I eat 3x day and rarely snack, but I eat balanced meals (protein/fat, a veggie, or two, and maybe a fruit). I think the balance of the proteins and carbs maintains satiety and blood sugar levels in my body. Everyone's different, though, so you just have to monitor the effects of quantity, quality, and meal structure and decide what makes you feel the best.
This discussion has been closed.