WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning ladies - I had a decent nights sleep last night so I'm feeling quite chipper this morning. :happy:

:flowerforyou: Everyone seems to busy with thanksgiving and Christmas but most of you still find time to exercise - puts me to shame :embarassed: yet another thing I have to get consistent with.

:flowerforyou: Looking at my food diary for yesterday, it seems I should treat every day as if I had toothache, but just add a bit of fruit and veggies. :bigsmile: I'm still waiting for my "light bulb" moment, I know the theory, but don't walk the walk so to speak :grumble: I get so cross with myself - why is it so difficult for me to stick with it.

:flowerforyou: It's my long weekend off work, so tomorrow I will look for a few stocking fillers at the supermarket, I think they are having a toy sale so I'll be able to get my grandson a little something.

:flowerforyou: Barbie glad your back is healing and feeling better, just don't over do it on Friday, although I'm sure you will be fine, you listen to your body and are very sensible.

:flowerforyou: Renny Phew, you are very busy at the moment, but still getting the exercise planned in too.

:flowerforyou: Joyce enjoy your time with your family. Your daughter working in a cave, sounds fascinating. The place where we send our medical records to be archived is in a boring warehouse :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Michel enjoy your trip

Well best get to work, sorry not to include everyone, but I'm thinking of you all. :heart:

Viv UK
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I'm grateful for knowing you (and all the other wonderful women on this forum)

barbie - that's so wonderful about your back. Now don't do too much too fast!

Renny - It's good that you're getting your exercise in. Viv - that's one thing that works for me -- if I schedule it in, it has to be done. That really helps around this holiday season as it's so so easy to just says "oh, I'm not going to worry about it until I have time."

Michele in nc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    Barbie~Happy Hanukkah...
    well boy did i sleep lousy last night, dont know why,but I did im up having my lemon water and icing my heel as I do every morning,
    the rain has stopped but still windy and cold...the dogs have eaten and I had a banana,think once im awake I will racewalk today as yesterday I only got in a little over 8,000 steps
    I have alot to do today but not gonna stress over it,,
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,253 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Happy Thanksgiving, Hannukah etc!:flowerforyou: :heart: Also I am sparing a thought for all the peoples of the world who have been displaced, are homeless, suffering, in a war zone, don't have human rights etc. I give a little to charities who deal with these issues, especially at Christmas, but what a tiny drop in the ocean that is.:cry: That doesn't stop me enjoying my own good fortune and, yes Joyce, being thankful.:smile:

My back is still sore. I did my gymming this morning with extra on the bike as that supports my back. Then, probably stupidly, I did a tiny bit with weights and some stretching. Not a brilliant idea, but I hope it wears off. I am taking over the counter pain killers, which help. Time is a great healer, they say.
    Those of you who regularly ice, could you explain to me how you do it. Do you have a special method or equipment?

Wizzywig - I try to think of my healthy eating as an opportunity. Think of some food you love and find a way of cutting the calories and still having it. I am lucky in that I have time to cook and I know you work, but there sre easy things or things to freeze. Have you got the Hairy Dieters book? There are two now.. I find freezing stuff is a time saver. Also skinnytaste.com where I get a lot of ideas. If you have a sweet tooth there are some low cal recipes. I use half stevia and half sugar for recipes. As far as exercise goes, the secret is to find something you enjoy. Or just move more! Shopping is a good start! :laugh: It sounds as if you are a little low, so making the effort to get out more could be good. This time of year is hard.
    The fact that on MFP I can eat my exercise calories is enough motivation for me to get going! I love eating! :love: :laugh: I always eat food I really enjoy, so it doesn't feel like a DIET. :noway: :embarassed: :ohwell: Good food makes me happy!:bigsmile:

Lunch is pea and ham soup from the freezer and dinner is pumpkin ravioli with a leek sauce and a TINY bit of crispy pancetta crumbled over. I think I will get away with 450 cals on that.

One NSV for me this week is that I have been better on the evening alcohol. I have cut it down to one drink!:flowerforyou: That gives me enough calories for a small piece of cheese - my first love.:laugh:

Michelle - I know you are away, but I hope you can catch this - it was skinnytaste.com for the zucchini tots. She does cauliflower tots as well, which I haven't tried. I think the zucchini ones would be fab with a bit of mango chutney, chilli jam, cranberry sauce or, in my case, chilli sauce! :laugh:

Love to all. A busy day for most of you :flowerforyou:

Hesther in Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate here in the US!!!
    Happy Hanukkah to those that celebrate!!!

Cindy :smile: Nice to see you back here!!

Heather :smile: Hope your back gets better:flowerforyou: ! I order most of my Christmas presents, and I agree, the packaging on most of them is ridiculous, a box, in a box, in another box…:noway: :huh: :grumble:
    Your Christmas present sounds absolutely awesome!!! I think I saw a recipe on MFP for the zucchini tots too, they sound really good!

Laura :smile: Hope you enjoyed your day yesterday, and hope today won`t be too crazy for you!

Teral :smile: Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving you have planned!

Tina in MD :smile: My little Noel has decided she doesn`t like the wet or the wind:noway: . It was wet yesterday and windy and I put her coat on and open the front the door and she just stood there, I had to pick her up and take her out:laugh: , and she wasted no time doing her business and jumping back up on the porch! She likes me to dry her with the hair dyer after she gets towel dried:laugh: . Congrats on the size 10 pants fitting…and the skinny jeans, bet you look great!

Pat (Phoo) :smile: Hope you have a lovely visit with your family! I wrestled a king size mattress before too:frown: , it`s hard for just one person!

Joyce :smile: I love corn casserole:love: , haven`t had it in a long time…yummy! Enjoy your family!

Meg :smile: So glad you`re feeling better!!! Congrats on the 30 lbs…woo hoo:bigsmile: !!!! Time for a shopping trip!!! Hope your DH and DD#2 feel better soon:flowerforyou: !

Sylvia :smile: Glad you`re feeling better!!! Chicken soup and hot chocolate:love: sounds like the perfect medicine! Hope DH feels better soon:flowerforyou: !

Viv :smile: Ouch….glad you were able to get the tooth filled:flowerforyou: !!

Jane Martin :smile: Sounds like you had a good day visiting with your friends! Nice that you found a few things to wear.

Gail :smile: Nice to see your post! It`s funny how the time just gets away from us, when I have time off, I think I can get so much accomplished and it always turns out the time runs out before my list is done:huh: !

Katla :smile: Have you decided on a new fridge?

Michele :smile: Have a safe trip to VA!!! Snow was pretty coming down yesterday, I was out in the whole time, glad it didn`t stick!

Barbie :smile: Glad the chiropractor confirmed your back is getting better! Happy Hanukkah!

Renny :smile: Wow, what a busy week!

Grandmallie :smile: Do you have to ice your heel everyday? Maybe you can get a little nap in today:yawn: !

I know I missed a lot of people:sad: , I think of you all though:heart: !

I`m going to my daughters house this morning, I pick up the grandgirls and we go to Bo Jangles to pick up biscuits for breakfast, it`s a tradition, we sing Christmas carols in the car and have so much fun:love: . I`m thinking this afternoon will either be a nap, or I`ll start the wrapping of the presents, depends on how tired I am when I get home:tongue: !

Have a fabulous, wonderful, fun day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log those turkey dinners!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in COLD:grumble: but going to be sunny NC:glasses:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I cleaned out my refrigerator’s freezer today and threw out a bunch of stuff. It is now nicely organized and the garbage is outside in the trashcan waiting to be picked up tomorrow. We’re looking at refrigerators with dutch doors on top and the freezer in the bottom. Let me know if you have one and like it. I’ll want to know what kind it is. Ours is more than 15 years old and DH has had a premonition that it will have problems soon so he wants to replace it asap. I'm a tightwad and never want to spend money. :blushing: :ohwell:

Hello,just wanted to tell you ,we have a new fridge that has the double doors on top/freezer on bottom.We had one before,sold to a neighbor when we moved.Wa just less of the heavy stuff to move & get into this house.

I bought the same model,same brand.It has a few upgrades,but basically the same.It is white,same as the stove.Have a stainless sink & hate it.Never looks clean.
    If you want,send me a private message for a picture. Pat C
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

I have a day off so just relaxing and cuddling the min pin before heading out to the gym.

Katla - yes Chi is short for Chihuahua. He is all black and he is Carole's baby. Lucky is my baby and he is a Black and Tan Miniature Pincher.

Barbie - Yes, it is great to share in the healthy eating with my spouse. It makes it much easier when bad things are not in the house.

Michelle - I knew with the weight loss this time if I had a better attitude about all kinds of food I had a better chance of getting where I wanted to go. This week will be the first time in quite a while I let myself go in the red for a couple of days but I have decided I can do this and not derail myself. It is a feeling of knowing I can make good choices and that now and then I can go over my calorie goal with it being the end of what I am doing.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am going to rest up the next two days before facing the craziness that will be Thursday and Friday.

Laura

What a great wt loss! Congrats to you.I think you have it down as to being able to eat what you want without losing your focus. :flowerforyou:

Please share what has worked for you & your spouse in losing wt.

Hope work goes well. I'm one of the boring few staying home thru the crazy days.:bigsmile: Pat C
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options

Those of you who regularly ice, could you explain to me how you do it. Do you have a special method or equipment?

I have a flat rectangular ice pack that I bought at a drug store.....it has a gel substance that freezes sort of soft when you put it in the freezer. I cover it with a hand towel and lie down on it in bed for 20-30 minutes. I read and often fall asleep and wake up with the ice pack as warm as my back
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Pat C., I have an LG french door refrigerator with freezer drawer on the bottom. I do love it, but we do have some issues with fingerprints on the stainless steel. I thought it was supposed to be the kind that doesn't show fingerprints as much, but it sure does. I like the freezer on the bottom, but I wish it wasn't quite so big. The refrigerator:freezer ratio needs to be a little more refrigerator and a little less freezer, at least for us. Ours has the ice maker built into the door, which I really like. One bad thing is that the filters cost so darned much. About $75 I think it was, and the one that came with it only lasted about two months. Still, I like the way it looks in our newly remodeled kitchen. It's the centerpiece and sparkley like jewelry. It's so much prettier than our old off white one which now lives up at my studio.

It's 6:45 am, and I've been awake since 3:00. My mind was racing again and I couldn't sleep. Finally got out of bed at 5:00 intending to get busy in the kitchen, but here I sit with a sleeping puppy, snoring sweetly in my lap. Molly is asleep on the sofa right next to me. If I move it disturbs them, and we can't have that.

Yesterday I made three pies, a tray of deviled eggs, and a crock pot full of southern style green beans which are hubby's favorite. I got the ham out of the fridge and started to open the wrapper to get some for the green beans and instantly I had two dogs helping me. They were very intently focused on that ham. I turned my back for an instant and caught Molly positioning herself to jump up to grab it. And I thought she was the good dog! Well, each of them got a little taste and were heartbroken when I put it back in the fridge. Poor little moochers.

So today I have a lot to do before the kids get here. I'd better get to it.

Happy Hanukkah and Thanksgiving!

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    morning again..
    I avoided I think a major catastrophe this morning..my oven decides when it wants to work, and for about an hr it didnt want to work..
    was sending prayers up to my mom,grandparents and the good lord ,because I didnt want to haul all this stuff up to my dads..right now, until my dad gets here to help me the stove is pulled out about 8 inches from the wall,but I dont care just so long as it works.
    I havent gotten out to walk yet,now that I have the bird in the oven ,maybe I can do that..
    was having a mental meltdown for a bit. have laundry in the dryer and and will wait for that then take the dogs for a walk, then myself...
    Barbie, for my heel I am lazy I have a water bottle that I freeze, and take it out first thing in the am while I am online and sit with it under my heel while i have the warm lemon water , i move my foot around over it for about 1/2 seems to really help
    I am boiling up the turkey neck for the boys.. will cut that up for them to have through the rest of the week
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all....have a safe and happy day!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am behind again so will read and catch up today as I am working and it is slow. Good news is we got a car. I wanted a buick and found one and DH got a good deal. Now I just have to relax and drive. Then we got the check from the insurance company for the work done on the house. It is made out to us and Bank of American since they hold the loan. And because it is over $10,000 they have to send an ajustor out to check the work and see all the paper work. Then I have to have the company that did the work sign a paper that they will not put a lein on the house. After all that is done I have to drive to Hays Kansas and have them sign the check. That is the closest branch. Then I can pay the guy. I wish they would of put his name and the loan company and left me out of it. I will just be so glad when this is all done. Thanks for listening and have a great day.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all today.

Carole and I and the fur babies had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday. The pooches got their turkey and were very happy, although Lucky as always though he did not get enough!

I decided not to go to the gym today, going to workout on my treadmill this morning and then just relax until I have to go into work at 3. We will have leftovers for lunch and then I will have dinner at work. I will pre log the dinner so as not to over eat and complete my logging before I go to work so I don't forget and mess up my streak (at 420 days right now).

Tonight will be pretty crazy and intense as I will be in electronics the whole time and that is always a mad house but I have been doing it for years so I don't get easily ruffled and can usually find a solution to calm down even the most irate customer..

This past year I stepped down from a higher position at work as a result of things that were going on in the store I was in that I think we're unfair towards me but I felt I had nowhere to turn at that point and I did not want to loose my job. It is a struggle with less money but I am thankful I got through it without getting off track in my weight goal like I would of in the past and even with the money issue there is still less stress for me now so I have been able to really concentrate on my weight loss. I am lower then I ever have been as an adult and I can't see anything stopping me from getting to my goal weight.

Hope everyone has a great day with friends and family.

Laura
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am especially thankful to our furnace repair company. Yesterday, I noticed our furnace came on with big whoosh. I called in the morning and Greg who I have had look at our furnace was out by 1:30. Fixed by 4:00. Turns out the gas control was shot. When the furnace went on it popped because of this. It was dangerous and could have started a fire. The lesson I learned was not to ignore when something doesn't seem right. It also is important to build rapport before the emergency strikes.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    We also have the LG french door frig with the bottom freezer, but do not have any of the door front accessories. Just the ice maker in the freezer's top drawer. We like it just fine, but need to replace the two smaller drawer assembly in the frig as the pegs or whatever, that hold the drawers in the runners, seem to have broken. They don't stay in place and you have to wrestle them open/ closed from time to time. Apparently we overloaded them at some time.

Margaretturk - glad your furnace is fixed. We have an annual contract for maintenance so they check the heat at the beginning of fall and the AC in the spring. I know nothing about those systems except to change the air filter.

Happy Hanukkah to all those celebrating and Happy Thanksgiving to others celebrating!

Gail, metro ATL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    We have Greg annually check our furnace in September. This problem occurred after the annual check. We live in Minnesota so the heating season is just starting. I do think because because we have had Greg for over five years it really helped. I trust him and know he does a great job. After writing into MFP I wrote an e-mail to his company thanking him.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Are you calling yourself an enabler? If so, you have a lot of company, including me. I’ve cut back, though I can’t claim to have quit altogether. I realized it isn’t good for my adult children and isn’t good for me, either. Old habits are hard to break.:grumble:

Joyce: I’m grateful for all of our 50+ women, too. You each make my life richer and happier. :flowerforyou: I hope you enjoyed your show. Love the DVR record option so we don’t have to miss things.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I’m glad that you’re healing and your doctor confirmed what you already knew. Enjoy teaching your line dance class tomorrow.:flowerforyou:

Renny: You are turning into a fitness star with all of your classes. Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes. I’m thinking about celebrating twice next year, once with Canada and again with the US. We celebrated Thanksgiving with our kids in August this year because we knew our son would be deployed. It was a good idea and a lot of fun. Now we're celebrating with the rest of the country, but it is just the two of us. :flowerforyou:

Viv: Motivation is the key. You deserve to be healthy and happy. Keep that in mind and go for it. Each of us has a story. I found motivation when I gave myself bursitis during a horseback riding lesson. I’ve always been horse crazy and DH gave me the lessons as a birthday gift. I wanted to improve my own health so I could finish those lessons. I just didn’t know how. Luckily I found MFP and all of you. I also finished the lessons.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I use an ice bag or ice pack to chill and shrink swollen muscles. I sometimes alternate cold and heat. So Ice bag/heating pad/icebag…. It is probably not good health advice, but I sometimes have a bit of ibuprofen and alcohol to help control pain. I like that combination better than pain pills.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: We did pick out a new fridge. It is a Whirlpool with dutch door top and freezer drawer below, and it is made in Amana, Iowa USA. Yay! We’ll get it some time next week. (I am passionate about buying American made products so that I can support manufacturing jobs here. If I lived in another country, I’d be looking for products made there. Don’t get me started on what I think of our Congress selling out American jobs so big business could rake in more profits.:angry::grumble: ) Now I’m wrestling with what to do with our current fridge, which still works just fine. They’ll haul it off when they deliver the new one, but I’d like to donate it to someone in need. Suggestions about how to proceed are welcome.:flowerforyou:

Pat C: Some people are abstainers. They have to eliminate certain trigger foods. Our main weight loss strategy is portion control and counting every calorie. We bought a digital food scale from Amazon and dishers from a local restaurant supply store. Dishers look like ice-cream scoops. We measure everything. The food scale was less expensive than the dishers, but I was frustrated with using measuring cups to serve food. We always ate nutritious food; we just ate too much. After DH had a stroke early this year we eliminated as much salt from our cooking as possible. We also eliminated salted chips and crackers. (That took a lot of temptations right out the door.) Now I add salt at the table and he uses salt substitute. After a little adjustment time, we find that our food tastes great and we both feel better with less salt. We have taken pains to deal with certain trigger foods. In my case, it is ice cream. If I have it in my freezer, I eat it until it is gone. Now I buy an ice cream cone once in a while as a treat.:flowerforyou:

I just noticed it is daylight and my hummingbird feeder was in the kitchen so it wouldn’t freeze over night. There was a hummingbird waiting in plain sight. I took the feeder out and the bird was there in seconds. :blushing: :smile:

Happy Thanksgiving to all and Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Happy thanksgiving to all my friend! Take care Meg
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    So thankful for each and everyone of you.
    HUGS
    jane
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah
    Wishing you all safe travel and Family fun
    I too am thankful for all you lovely ladies enjoy your day:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Juanita in sudbury