WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options
1404142434446»

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends. I may be in trouble tonight. I could not sleep last night. I was exhausted but it was so important for me to talk to my girls together before Christmas so I stayed up and then was so tired I had a terrible headache and couldn't sleep. My FitBit sleep journal says I was restless 35 times last night. Did not rest well at all. had to get up at 8:30 to see the kids off. My husband immediatley went back to bed but my head hurt to much. So I had a small sandwich at 11, went to bed 1/2 hour later and I think I slept 4 hours. So tonight I may be in trouble after sleeping for so long. With my MS I usually sleep away all day long the day after everyone leaves or we come back. One day I slept for 72 hours straight except for getting up to the bathroom. I don't think I would ever be able to do that with my present cat because she opens my door and I hear the house noise.

Gail when we redid our very small pantry several years ago I knew that I wanted. There were 4 short shelves on one side, one shelf up high on the other side and nothing else. The back was bare. I was wanting shelves on sliders and deepr ones. I also wanted a shelf to connect the top shelf on one shelf to the lone shelf on the other. It would house all my kitchen electronics, George Foremen, small processer, etc. I also wanted it another color than the rest of the kitchen. So my now ex son in law, daughter and I went to Home Depot and bought it all. I love my top shelf, now underneath I have one of the broom organizers and bought some clear plastic, can't think of the word of the product of what it is, to comptletely put around where we out the trash can so the walls could easily be cleaned. I'm very happy with it. Just wish it were bigger and had a light. I also forgot that with shelves on sliders that items can fall off the back.

Joyce, Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :wink: I had put a few yoga DVD's on hold from the library, and tested two of them today: "Back Care Yoga for Beginners" by Rodney Yee, and "Yoga Weight-Loss Workout for Dummies" with Chris Freytag. I particularly liked the "Dummies" DVD, and will try out some more from the Dummies series. They give very clear and simple instructions, with more advanced poses along the side of the screen if you want. That is more my style. This means I got an hour of extra yoga workout in today. Woohoo.

:flowerforyou: DH is putting some Xmas lights on the bushes outside the front porch. Finally had to buy some new ones :bigsmile:

:tongue: Remember I was talking about getting a possible change in desks (i.e. one that moves up/down, so I can elect to stand to do my work, which my doctor recommended). Well, a staff member who has one is about to leave our branch, so her desk will become available. I have been offered first dibs, given my doctor's recommendation and all. Unfortunately, I have already been told I cannot have it, unless I move into her cubicle. Unfortunately, that may present a problem, because I have been very particular about being in the location I currently am, since it is the north side of the building and therefore no fluctuations in temperature (very important in a building that has temperature problems and me being a middle-aged woman, who is sick and tired over fighting whether the blinds should be up or down). Also, I really do not want to move location again (I've had to move many many times); in addition, the persons next to that other cubicle like to have extremely quiet co-workers. They would simply HATE having me next to them, because I simply do not have a soft voice, never had one, and never will have one, and yes I do have to have telephone conversations. They also each have a zero sense of humor, and I can be a clown. Furthermore, I tend to have people come to my desk for advice, since I am a bit of a resident expert on ...well...a whole bunch of things. Soooo....dilemma. If I "refuse" to move, I will likely never get the desk I want/need (government has no money, and I would never be approved again once I have "refused" an opportunity). On the other hand, if I move to the other location, those around me - and I, because they will be complaining to me and about me - will likely be miserable until I retire (July 1, 2016 - just say'n).

On the other hand, my current location is in a pod of 4 cubicles, one of which is inhabited by a moron (sorry, I'm not usually that judgmental, but he has taken to putting a coatrack between our two desks:tongue: ). However, his moronic behavior has recently been somewhat tempered by 2 new inhabitants, who are just delightful, entertaining, engaging, and lo and behold - one of them has a louder voice than I do!! :bigsmile: (in her spare time she is in theater). I feel my wickedness is getting the upper hand, and hoping that Mr. moron will be the successful winner of moving into the vacated cubicle?? :bigsmile: So, any guess what my choice will be? :bigsmile: :laugh:

I will simply find some empty boxes on which to prop up keyboard, mouse and monitor and stand so now and then. There is always a solution. Of course, I can also do some yoga poses in our tiny pod of cubicles.

Have a great evening, night, or morning, depending on where you are!

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: Renny, I've always found that writing about the pros and cons of a situation helps me make a better decision...you did a super job of figuring out what to do.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Joyce - your pantry sounds great! We had our laundry room renovated almost 2 years ago. (I worked for a fellow who couldn't pay me at one point in time and so I bartered my labor for his work on the reno.) We changed the doorway into the room and added Ikea cabinets with those terrific pull-out shelves. Love it! We now have upper and lower cabinets to the left of the stacking W/D, and pantry cabinets to the right as you go in. That is a huge improvement over the little one the builder put in the kitchen. We really appreciate it!

Did over 35,000 pounds at the Y and walked/jogged for 45 minutes. That sure felt good. I really have to get back in a routine again. I may go walk tomorrow as well, but do have to get that yard work done, plus pay bills.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Gail, metro ATL
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    [
    Hi Meg. I think I will. Time to rest.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I also need a new bra, Time to downgrade to a size 36 from a 38

ttyl
    Renny

This sounds like an upgrade not a downgrade to me. Congratulations!!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I made it to aquafit this morning, it was easier on my knee. I just modified it to minimize any stress on my knee.

Went out to dinner tonight with my DS & DD to celebrate my DD's birthday. It's on Wed but since DS works the afternoon shift it is easier to do it on the weekend. DS's gf wasn't well so she couldn't make it so it was just the three of us. It was really nice to have just us time, we don't get much of that any more. To sit back and listen as they chatted and laughed did my heart good. I took a couple bites of DD's desert and was still able to stay below calorie goal.

I will go again tomorrow to aquafit and see how my knees feels after that. I'm really hoping that it's not going to hinder my workouts this week.

I'm off to bed, have a great night everyone...wow it's December tomorrow. :noway:

:heart: Sandy from chilly ON
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    had a wonderful day with baby Leah and her dad and mom.Called Violet and her and her dad came over.
    Was a nice afternoon.
    Watching Christmas movies with daughter.
    Hi to the new ladies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hope everyone else is doing ok.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Popping in just to say that my darn scale is still not moving south !!! GRRR I am so fed up with this plateau . Losing weight was so much easier before hitting 50 ! At this rate I am gonna be fat till I hit 90 !!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Here is the link to the new thread for December.......I hope all of you will be posting there soon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1144987-women-ages-50-for-december-2013?page=1
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    She's BAAAACCCCKKKKK!

We drove up to Jessica's Thurs. She wanted to take us to this place called the Alamo Draft House (I understand this is a chain). Never been to one. You can order your dinner and watch a movie. We saw "Delivery Man". I had a veggie burger, I did try about 3 of their fries (I didn't think they were anything to write home about), just had water to drink. I did do Personal Training with Jackie Warner DVD before we left. Stopped at a Wendy's, Vince got chicken nuggets (yuk) but I brought in my food (as par the course) so had a turkey on whole wheat, an orange, carrots, soy milk.

Friday I was TRYING to be good, it didn't work. At the hotel I had brought cereal with me and had 1/2 an English muffin and 1/2 of a container of cream cheese with 1/2 a cup of milk and a banana and 2 egg whites for breakfast. Well...the day started out pretty good. I did work on the elliptical for an hour. Dinner was turkey, sweet potato casserole (that I made so I know there wasn't any marshmallows and stuff on it) and cut up veggies. Then I had some of the sweet potato tortilla chips that I'd brought (I thought they were something a little bit different) and some of the sweet potato muffins I'd brought. Then I had to try the desserts that I made. Had a piece of the apple pie (the crust was actually pretty good, only problem was that it was runny, so maybe next time I'll add tapioca before baking it. I'd made the pie, froze it <unbaked>

Today (Sat) I did pretty good. Had an apple (that I'd stolen from the hotel lobby, they had good apples), then worked on the elliptical for an hour, then had breakfast of my cereal, 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1/2 an English muffin, 1/2 container of cream cheese and 2 egg whites. I honestly was so full that I really didn't have any lunch. You can check out my menu as to what else I had today.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do an hour of balance games on the Wii.

Bad thing happened -- Denise bailed on Jessica. Jessica was REALLY hurt. We had a feeling that she would because when we talked to her Wednesday we said a few times "we'll see ya Friday" and there was no response at all. She gave this story about how her car was smoking blah blah blah. Jessica told her to rent a car, she would even pay for the rental, Enterprise would come to her and pick her up. But, of course, Denise never came. Now I'm really wondering if she's planning to come here for Christmas. One part of me says that she will...she's too materialistic to miss out on getting presents. Melanie (her cat) will most likely need her rabies shot. SUPPOSEDLY Denise is paying for her ticket herself. I'm betting that she'll pay for her own ticket but she doesn't plan to bring Melanie. Well, I guess I go thru this every year, worrying about will she come. Bryan isn't talking to us, what's up with Denise? Are we that horrible?

Looks like I have about 4 pages of posts to read. I apologize in advance because I won't be able to get to everyone.

Heather - thanks for telling me about where to get the recipe for the zucchini tots.

Jessica says she'll be down next weekend for Vince's birthday. To me, that's a lot for her, she was down here last weekend for the concert, we were up there this weekend, she'll be down next, then I'm going to meet her somewhere 1/2 between here and her place to take her cats while she goes to TN, then she'll be here on the 23rd.

On Friday stopped at the Y up there, Jessica wanted me to, I know this one lady there. I would NEVER in my life have guessed she was 70. They do have stairclimbers (like a set of moving steps) and a rower, things we don't have so I'll be going there maybe if I can work it into the schedule the next time I'm up there.

katla - I don't think I'm the enabler, I think Pete's mother is the enabler. Actually, his whole family is. When we were moving down here, she's the one who co-signed for a lease for an apartment. Then when they skipped out she'ds the one who owed a few thousand, then she cosigned for ANOTHER apartment. She's given them furniture. Yet, when their electricity was turned off, they didn't stay with her but they stayed with her sister. I think that her husband doesn't care for Pete. But what's going to happen when the time comes when she no longer can help them financially? A few years ago, it was her uncle who called us to get Denise "because it just isn't working out". Then Denise cried to him so even tho my feeling was that she needed to focus on getting a job, he sent her a plane ticket to PA. As much as I asked him not to, as much as he promised me he wouldn't, he still did. We made her work to pay for the repairs to her car.

I am ever so grateful for all you Vit. F's here. You have no idea. This is a great place where I can vent express my joy, whatever is going on in my life. It's so safe. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and Hanukkah

Had some lobster tails in the freezer that I want to use up, so I'll make them for dinner to have during the week.

When I got home I had to run my dishwasher, all the plates, serving utensils, etc really needed a cleaning. Again the turkey fell off the bone. Now I'll need to get to the laundry (tablecloths, etc )

DeeDee - hope you're having a great time with your cousin

When we went to leave Thurs we saw that the ice and rain had caused the arches to lean, so when we got back they were still leaning so we're trying to fix them. Should be nice weather this week so we'll hopefully finish the rest of the outside decorations.

I did bring home some of the sweet potato cassesrole and some turkey. Surprisingly, there really wasn't that much left over.

Sylvia - I'm convinced that doegs know little kids. When Jessica was a toddler, we had a 120lb sheepdog. One time she (literally) put her finger up his butt. I thought to myself "there goes Jessica". He just got up and walked away. Another time she poked him in the eye saying "look ma...eye". He walked away. Now if I brushed him the wrong way, I'd get growled at. But look what she could do and he just put up with it.

katla - one place even calles it "Black November". I'm with you, too much. Thanks for the quote

Amanda - glad to see you back. I'm so sorry you've had so much in your life

molly - my deepest sympathies on your loss

Sandy - OUCH!!!! I would think that was aerobics callses would be fine, there's no pressure on your knee joint in the water. It's just getting to the water that might pose a bit of a problem. You CAN get to your goal, I'm rooting for you

Heather - we always used to get a live tree, but we decided to get an artificial one because we were thinking that the cats might climb into the tree, get sap on their fur, and then rub up against a cabinet. Happy birthday to your son!

Alice - welcome to a wonderful place. I'm sorry you've been thru so much, but we'll be here for you every day all the time

I don't remember who suggested it, but it's really not a bad idea at all to celebrate Thanksgiving with the Canadians even tho we're in the US. How many people had to have two Thanksgiving dinners and then all those leftovers?

Marise - welcome. Come back soon

barbie - hope Jake gets well soon

Meg p- fantastic A1C

grandmalle - is your hubby a truckdriver. One of the things we noticed this trip was that years ago, when truckers went uphill they'd (naturally) have a tough time, but boy did they ever pick up speed going downhill! Now we actually saw truckers hit their brakes so they weren't going too fast. What has caused this change?

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Here is the link to the new thread for December.......I hope all of you will be posting there soon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1144987-women-ages-50-for-december-2013?page=1
    [/quote]
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 30th. Today on the last day of November as I finish up my gratitude notes what I want to talk about is that I am thankful for the life that my God has given me. He chose to give me parents that would nurture me, always shower me with love and provide me with the building blocks to always be successful in whatever I felt it was that God wanted me to be. I always felt loved, supported in everything I did, whether it was in participating in the annual 3rd grade skipping contest/race or going off to college. Even though my choice of a life partner was not what they would have chosen for me they still loved him just as much maybe even more because they knew that he needed more prayer than the man that would have been perfect for me. I had a wonderful career, just the way I had always imagined life as a nurse would be, not always easy but still just as satisfying. God provided me with 2 wonderful children. God knew in His own way that somehow I had started making my own plan and He moved me back to where I needed to be, back with my husband and family. Yes, Multiple Sclerosis had to be part of it, but somehow He knew that would be OK also. I have made some poor choices and wise choices in the life that God has given me because that's what we humans are known to do.He continues to protect me by surrounding me with the right things to do. I have stepped off His track so many times yet He just turns the lights back on when I dim them and take the wrong way. He lets me know that I am special, the fat me, the skinny me, the sick me, the one who may be discouraged or not needed anymore because I can't be a nurse. He lets me know that I am still needed in other places, people hurt and are sick in many places, not just in a hospital and still need to be shown compassion and care from the person He trained to be a nurse. He showed me that being a Mom continues throughout all the years of their lives and just keeps adding more family members to my family that I didn't think of. I am so thankful for where He has taken me, the people He has introduced me to, the taske He has put in front of me to be done knowing that I am not doing them all by myself. I do them with Him, by whom??? By the people He sent my way. These people are people on the internet, old nurses I used to work with and also have broken bodies,and many others that I don't even know about yet. Thank you God for the life you have given me.

Gail, I have so many things I want to do with my kitchen. This is a four bedroom home and a two bedroom kitchen. It has a tiny amount of counter space, one small bank of cabinets and a total of 4 drawers. No area to store pots and pans. I have a bare wall that is nothing but drywall and I clock. Below is a microwave cabinet that has a shelf I couldn't put anymore on. I want to put a hole in that wall and put a window to the backyard since there isn't one at all. I want to tear out the breakfast bar, move it over about a foot put in cabinets and underneath that window put a sink. Use the plumbing where the sink is to move the dishwasher over there. Take out the avocado green counter tops, sink and stove and put in something a little more modern. I would make the pantry larger with a door that actually opens and closes and has a separate area for the trash from the foods. Where the sliding glass door to the deck is I would put french doors and outside the french door. Oh, that's my dream room, I want a Florida room with so many windows with screens that can be opened for a breeze. Right now the glass on that sliding glass door is non tempered and the room gets so hot when we prepare our big meals. Oh, I guess I should have a bigger stove in my dream kitchen also, the present one has one large burner and 3 small. And an oven that can hold a turkey and something else at the same time. I want a floor that isn't buckeled underneath because of the sink or refrig leaking somewhere. A good thing for us is that when we had our house built we had the lower level left unfinished. So the room right below the kitchen is unfinished. All the plumbing is available to tap into. Somehow I will have to find a dream to make the small hallway bath and the teeny tiny master bath into a dream. It really needs to be a 3 bedroom home so one of the bedrooms can be sacrificed to make bigger bathroom. Larger master closet than the other closets would be taken to make the two bathrooms bigger and then the other bedroom be used in addition to the master bedroom to make it bigger. We made a large bedroom downstairs thinking we might have to have my mother in law move in with us one day. It has a bathroom next to it. That one is another task. When the builders installed the bathroom it wasn't tapped into the sewer as ideal as it should have. It met code at the time but code has improved. The commode one day overflowed with sewer water and we had 22 inches of raw sewage in our 1100 square foot lower level a couple of years after we moved in. So we clogged that commode up so it is not operational.

Well, I didn't mean to tell you all my home improvement dreams!!!! But there are many dreams for the all the square feet of that bathroom and adjoining storage room in my dreams. Anyone have any spare money?????

Tomorrow I must get back in my good diet and wise choices way of thinking. I must, I must, I must. I was within my calories and carbs today but they weren't godd nutrition calories and carbs. And I need to get my bowels back to their 'usual'. So tomorrow is my new restart. I just hope my long winters nap today will allow me to get a good nights rest so that I can do this.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]