WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Well I am all caught up. Congrates to all as we are the group that never gives up. I am so Thankful for all of you and the support you share. We are still pretty slow here at work. Have alot of patients going home and not many come in. I know from the past that this evening things will pickup. But I get off at 5pm so won't have to deal with it until morning. I work short shift tomorrow 6-2p Then have the weekend off and lots to get done. Then on Sunday afternoon our DGD has her Christmas dance show so can't miss that. Then Sunday evening our church has a soup supper and live Nativity at the fair grounds. I try and take as many of the DGC we can as I think it shows them what Christmas is really about.

Pat--:drinker: hope you are enjoying your new fridge. Missed you and glad you are back. Enjoy your mattress moving event. Can't believe they have no calorie count for that.LOL

Robin--:smile: HUGS!!

Molly-Welcome back

grandmallie--:flowerforyou: sounds like things are alittle better at work. Glad you got your hours back.

margauitturk--:smile: Glad they could fix your funace. Sounds like what ours was doing and because it was 29 years old they could not fix it. The new one we had put in is working fantasic and I am looking forward to see what the bill is.

Katla--I buy American as much as I can. As for the fridge is there a Habit house or maybe check with your church as they might know someone that could use one.

Vi--:sad: Sorry to hear about your tooth. I am so afraid of dentist that I am Thankful I have dentures and don't have to go back . I would rather have my pap test then go to the dentist.

Laura-Good Luck at work this afternoon. I understand job stressand less money. DH was having lots of problems at work, not getting breaks working 16 hours a day when others didn't show up. He started waking up in the night with chest pain. Went to the doctor and had all kinds of tests and was told he needed to cut back. So O'reillys had another store on the other side of town that they had fired the manager so they moved him down there. It was a cut in pay and hours, but he is doing so much better and smiles again. So in the long run it was worth it.

Heather--:flowerforyou: You do such neat things. Your trip next April sounds like so much fun. I want to take acouple weeks this next summer and take the trike and just travel around Nebraska and Iowa. This last summer DH bought a camper that the trike can pull.

Gail--:smile: I agree a massage can really relax you. I have had 2(my first time) since the accident as part of the treatment for my neck. I enjoy them until she gets to the part of my neck that is hurting and then I about cry. I do think it is getting better slowly.

Barbie--Glad you are feeling better and Jake is home. I know I do alot better when DH is home. I used to be so independent. Not anymore.

Jodios--:heart: Love the plan of family working out while the turkey is cooking.

Well hope you all enjoy the rest of your day. We are going over to DS and DDIL's for supper when I get off work. They are planning a supper meal since I and acouple DGD are working today.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,796 Member
    Options
    evening sweet friends,
    I am lying in bed,with a cup of Christmas tea and the boys all spread out on the bed..
    well at least my oven finally worked..
    everything went off without a hitch, my DFIL scoffed down 2 huge plates of food for a man who will be 86 in 3 weeks the man can put it away, so glad he enjoyed it...
    my Dad and son came too and it was nice, I got up in between and did the dishes,we dont use a dishwasher we hand wash, wanted it all done before I had to take my DFIL back to his house..got him in the house and settled and took there mini dacshound out for quick walk, then drove 45 minutes home and took mine out for a walk, think I am about ready to collapse,didn't get to 10,000 steps today but darn close, and I logged everything for the first Holiday in awhile I put what I thought I could eat on my plate, portioned it out, had a little bit of most of everything ,but just a taste.
    I WILL NOT be getting up at the crack of dawn to shop.. I dont care what kind of deals are out there.. most of the DGC will be getting gift certificates , the little one I will wrap a couple of things...
    I hope everyone here in the states was able to spend time with family and friends ..
    because other than your health,family and friends are what life is about:heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies,

Quick check in to say that I hope your Thanksgiving has been great for those who celebrate it. At the Y by 6am; race went well (3,000 plus runners!!!), dinner at Boston Market--remember I had the family one last Saturday--- then a movie: The Book Thief. A long busy day and I'm done in. Should run over to KMart yet but that is truly doubtful at this time.

Thankful for MFP and all of you,
    yanniejannie
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. I send you best wishes and happiness on Thanksgiving and Hannukah 2013.

I spent the day going through photos taken over the past year that would make for a nice Christmas photo card. It's been ages since DH and I did one of these, yet we love getting them. DH is not happy with how old he looks in pictures. :embarassed: I told him nobody was going to look at us because everyone will be drawn into the beautiful picture of our handsome cat, Mars. :laugh:
    Walgreens has a coupon on their website for 50% off photo cards, so it's done!

Let me add my voice to the chorus of gratitude for the almost one year of Vitamin F you've shared with me. Love you all.

-Rori
    from the sunny and mild Colorado Foothills
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just a wonderful wish for all the US vitamin F's here:

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a fantastic holiday today!

Cheers,

BJ, SWO, buried under snow for the first time in 9 years!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to all that are celebrating Thanksgiving and Hanukkah!
    You early shoppers have inspired me to get my Christmas shopping done. I booked tomorrow off work and am going to do what I can and then order the rest online. My plan is to be done this weekend with the exception of maybe some stocking stuffers. I do have to get my DD's birthday present tomorrow too. We have some Black Friday sales but not nearly as much as the US. I'm looking forward to spending the day any way I want. DD will be at work. I'm meeting a friend for coffee tomorrow afternoon.

I've been to the Y every evening after work and have had a great week with my food. Tues evening I did 10 miles in 50 min on the bike, tonight it wasn't quite as good but still did 9 miles in 50 min.

It's been very cold here and snowy here. I'm not a winter person so now the count down til spring :laugh:

I too will join in and say thanks to mfp and all my new vit F friends. Without both I doubt I would have come so far in the lifestyle change.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,977 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We went to dinner at the home of friends who just bought a house in our neighborhood. They have done a lot of remodeling and we were eager to see what they had done. There were15 people at dinner……the hostess had put a quote about gratitude at each plate…..mine said, “The key to happiness is wanting what you have.” I ate more than I usually eat, but skipped dessert. Tomorrow I’ll be back on track.

125348s4vbqulv93.gif 125347fa3fzrtcfh.gif

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We had such a wonderful time today. Due to some bad circumstances in the family 6 members weren't able to be here but the ones who were here had a great time. Great meal thanks to everyone helping. Great food as usual. My brother in law's brother didn't have anywhere to go so he came, my daughter has a coworker who is a room mate, he is a 5 foot American born Korean guy who is so funny. Anyway he came plus my sister and family and all my family. But the best time came after they all left. It was then just my sister and my family. When my two daughters are together they become like little children having the best time. My two grand daughter's are so close, they are 7 and 12 so even though they are close in age they sat in a recliner all four long lanky legs intertwined so you are not really sure who's are who's. We watched Harry and the Hendersons and had a great time. My sister's children are about 8 years apart and she always referred to them as her two 'only' children, inferring that they were both an only child. That's the way they grew up and that's the way they are now. They are civil when they are in the same house, that's once a year, but they really don't talk and relate to each other. So my sister really likes being with my grand kids and seeing normalcy. We all laugh, play, accept each others faults and don't cut each other down. We respect and love. When my girls were young the way our lives were I would have never foreseen that life would be this way now. God some how smiled on us and made it happen.

Did I make some bad choices as far as food eaten today, yes. Did I make good choices, yes. Did the bad outweigh the good, I hope so but only time will tell. But I know I will go to bed tonight with so many good memories. I haven't had time to read all of todays posts. It is almost 10 and the amount of times I went up and down my stairs and played with my girls, young and old, along with all the laughing I know it won't be hard to go to sleep.

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It occurred that in all my business today I forgot to do my gratitude post today. So today, Thanksgiving Dad 2013, I can finally say I am thankful for me. Someone might look at me and say that Joyce is some one who is lucky to have what she has. She is a lucky and very happy person. But as we were talking today at dinner, we got on the subject of why in my family we have the history of addiction, in whatever form. My daughter came up with this thought that as preachers kids we always had to put on a face, we had to be prepared for anything whether we were or not. We had to look happy, be happy, always be optimistic whether we were or not, act as son one we really weren't. We made good actors. I guess I've carried a lot of that into my married life. My husband was not the kind of guy my parents would have approved of although I'm sure they went to their graves in not knowing the things that can spew out of his mouth. Around him he knew the exact preachy type words to say. I was the right kind of wife. We carried on as if we were the perfect couple through over 40 years of marriage when I don't know how many times he said he was going to go file for divorce on his day off. It became a running joke with our girls that on Dad's day he would file for a divorce. Now as adults they are glad that he never did because they have met a different Dad after he retired. Yes, he still has a hot temper but it's never against us anymore. It's other drivers, politics, etc. But we were different people because we put that face on. We never learned who we really were at the time and accepted that we had to act that way instead of the false face. So is that part of what the addictive nature of my nephews, of my food, of my sisters pain medicine if she doesn't watch it.

Anyway, I am thankful for the me I have become now. The more honest with herself and the world me. The I can accept the me I am because I like me. That I what I am thankful for today.

You have to change filters in the new ice makers now?????? Is that only the icemaker in the door kind or does my old ice maker in my old fridge have a filter? Is that why I think it is manic depressive right now? It goes through periods, and it knows when to tease me, that it makes lots of ice for weeks and then I have to beg it to make enough to fill a glass. For one whole week leading up to this day today it has been making a full ice bin. It has been slowly making less and what does it do today, nothing. My sister knows just to always bring a bag of ice from her house because Joyce never has enough ice. Now two weeks later my ice maker will apologize and be back to it's manic phase again and make lots of ice.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say how much I appreciate you lovely women. :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :happy:

Joyce, your post really made me smile. I love your ice maker!

Sandy - you are doing so well. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK:heart:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Joyce-your ice maker sounds like my oven :laugh:
    It sounds like most of you had a wonderful day...it is a day to give thanks.and I am thankful for each and every one of you...
    except for Rita I haven't me anyone,but know you so well just from what we share..
    so nice to have girlfriends from everywhere!!!!
    I got a call from my DGD last night in tears because she wanted me, luckly we skyped..amazing what electronics can do.. she felt so much better. my DD says every once in awhile she wants grandma and starts crying.. :sad:
    She misses me and grandpa so much.. and we miss her bunches too.
    Alison/Grandmallie
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Pat C :smile: Doesn’t it feel good to have a clean fridge and freezer? I really need to do that, might try to tackle that sometime today! You have inspired me:bigsmile: !

Sylvia :smile: Your morning sounds so serene with a puppy on your lap snoring and another one right next to you:love: !

Grandmallie :smile: LOL at your oven working when it wants to:laugh: …glad it decided to be good and come on! I don`t shop on black Friday either:noway: , those deals are not worth me getting in all the crowds!

Peachstategal :smile: How nice to see you again:flowerforyou: !

Vicki :smile: Congrats on getting your car! Why the insurance companies make it so hard is beyond me:angry: …what an ordeal for you:flowerforyou: !

Laura :smile: I hope you survived all the craziness of yesterday!!!

Margaretturk :smile: Glad you were able to get your furnace repaired so quickly!

Gail :smile: Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Katla :smile: I love getting anything that`s made in America! I`m glad you got your new fridge!!! Have you thought about donating the old one to The Salvation Army? I think they would probably even come pick it up. How cute, your hummingbirds waiting for you to feed them:love: !

Meg :smile: Hi! Hope you had a fun day!!!

Jane Martin :smile: I, too, am thankful for you and everyone here:love: !

Juanita :smile: I love your profile pic, is that a Christmas cactus?

Yanniejannie :smile: Sounds like you had a great day!

Rori :smile: I do love getting Christmas cards with pics! Last year my Christmas cards had a pic of my little Noel:heart: in her red coat with her hood on, everyone loved it!

Bj :smile: Buried under snow…..brrrrr….stay warm!!!

Sandy in On :smile: Congrats on taking a day off!!! Hope you enjoy your day doing whatever you want!!! I don`t like winter either:noway: , I`m counting down to spring too:flowerforyou: !

Barbie :smile: What a nice thing to put a gratitude quote at each place setting, hmmmm…gives me an idea next time I have a dinner here, maybe at Christmas I`ll do that too!

Joyce :smile: LOL at your ice maker:laugh: , it must be related to Grandmallie`s oven! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Heather :smile: Every time I see your profile pic I smile, adorable grandchildren:love: !

I had a wonderful day yesterday, spending it with the people I love so much:love: ! My grandgirls reminded me how much fun it is to have fun. I laughed so hard at times I cried:laugh: ! My cousin called yesterday and is coming in today to stay with me until Tuesday morning, I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning up a bedroom for her, today I get to clean the rest of the house. I probably won`t be on here much until after Tues.

I am grateful for all of you beautiful ladies, for sharing your stories and your lives, the happiness and the sadness, this feels like one huge family to me! I love you all:heart: !

Have a fantastic Friday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny:glasses: but cold NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! It has been a long time since I have posted, but I read all of your posts daily. I haven't had time or clarity of thought to respond. Life is way too busy!!

I do think of all of you daily and you help me make wiser choices. I have not been doing well in either the food or exercise categories. I have done something to my back and have been unable to do anything but walk- sometimes very slowly. I have had sinus infections and the headaches that go with them. I have let all of this get me totally discouraged to the point of taking a "I give up break". I am over that now. I made a list of all of the reasons I need to get back on my journey to better health and a list of all of my excuses for not doing so. The healthy journey list wins so I am back!! So as of today, it is back to logging all food, taking long walks, stretching, and trying to do some lighter weights for my arms. I am going to pt for my back and it is getting better slowly. he has promised to help me strengthen my core to avoid future problems.

To all of you braving the shopping on Black Friday- hope you find great bargains and enjoy the rush of the crowd. I will be staying home with my fur babies and fixing a hot,home-cooked meal for my DH to come home to after working at LL Bean. I know he will need to relax. I will save calories for a glass of wine to go with the meal.

Meg- sorry to see you have been sick again. Hope you are feeling completely well again!

DeeDee- Hope you enjoyed your time with your GDs!

Joyce- I love your daily gratitude posts. It really makes me think of all the things in my life yhat I have to be grateful for.

Barbie- Glad your back is better! Sounds like you had a great dinner with friends.

Grandmallie- Thinking of you as I drink my hot lemon water!

Sandy- I am so impressed with your progress and dedication to getting healthy!! You are doing so well!

I know I have missed many of you , but you are all in my thoughts. thank you all for being here!

Deb A in snowy, cold, but beautiful CNY
  • grandmallie
    Options
    morning again,
    got back from race walking, picked up sticks in the yard, took my boys for a walk, got the recyclables together to take to the dump, and I have 2 non working shotguns and some ammo that if I can find a policeman want to drop off for them to destroy, neither of the guns are in good shape and the DH doesn't hunt anymore . so off they go.
    Now I am glad I dont eat like that every day.it feels like a piece of lead in my stomach.. hopefully that feeling will go away..
    going to eat very light today.. and after dropping stuff off where it needs to be,come home and relax...
    a girlfriend of mine that works in Boston just bought the house across the st from us, she owns a house 2 doors down from us,and stays there when she has time,She is the assistant vice president of Berklee College of Music and Boston and travels exstensively,but she grew up in this town so it is home to her.. her mom is staying in the house down the street and she would like to have her own place down here.
    So because she travels so much told her I would keep an eye on the house for her, maybe I can get a paying gig out of it, clean her house and her moms,and get groceries in for her when I know she will be home we shall see. but at least I can keep an eye on the new house for her anyway.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's nice and quiet here this morning. Yesterday when the kids were here it was full of sounds and laughter, which was wonderful but a little much for us old people. We aren't used to it. I was so happy they came though. I wound up with almost 1400 calories for the day, including one small piece of pumpkin pie and a small piece of cherry pie. That wasn't too bad. I didn't bother with low salt either. I even ate ham, and it was delicious! My DIL and her son went to her father's for Thanksgiving, and they got into an argument. She left and came home before dessert, so my son came back here to get some pie for her. I gladly sent the rest of both pies home with him so we didn't eat them. I sent a bunch of stuff home with him earlier, so the only leftovers we really have are ham and mashed potatoes. Hubby can help himself to those today and I can get back to my plan.

Bruno was so good with the kids yesterday. He's just about perfect for a kids dog. He's a sturdy little guy, and he's really gentle with them. He licked them but didn't try to nip them like he does us. I guess he can tell that they are little. Molly stayed in the crate most of the day, but Bill took her outside to play at one point and the kids were sitting at the picture window watching. They were amazed at how fast she runs. Whippets really are amazing to watch. But she's not good with kids, so she had to go back in the crate till they left.

Today the cleanup starts. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday too.

Sylvia
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nice to see positive posts. Will check in with you fine group of motivated MFP members. Have an awesome Friday :) Marise from the okanagan valley
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: Glad to hear you all had a nice Holiday

Dee Dee yes this is a picture of my Christmas cactus it is 12 years old and is in full bloom it also for some reason blooms in july
    So its like it wants to celebrate and show off its lovely blooms twice a year we just enjoy it....
    Joyce you are a jewel Im sure your family and friends are thankful for you also, we here sure love your daily visit with us

Love all you ladies, you keep me going everyday with all your different strenghts and insights in life, so proud to know you all

Juanita in sudbury it is -17 degrees celcius this morning translates to frigging cold in F. Degrees:noway:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Juanita........wow, a 12 yr. old Christmas cactus? I have been admiring it with great envy since you posted the pic, it's beautiful..........I've had them, but never had one last THAT long........truly impressive!!!

Cold here, in the 20's and car covered with frost this am, had to go to the grocery store, believe it or not. On the agenda today: dr. appt for DD to have planters wart burned off (she gets them on the bottom of her feet---not great for a runner!!!) and our flu shots (finally), lunch at one of her fav places, fortunately I can go low cal there, home with plans to make turkey mushroom brown rice soup and stroganoff.

have great days!
    yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Vicki: Thanks for the suggestions for the old fridge. I’ll look into it. Our friends who used to belong to the CMA are currently traveling in their 5th wheel. They spent Thanksgiving with people they met at a church in OK. They’re having a great time.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: You’re absolutely right. Health, family and friends are what it is all about. I add every one of you in this group to the list of friends I’m grateful for. I’m glad you had a nice day.:flowerforyou:

Rori: Photo Christmas cards are something I hadn’t thought about. I’ll talk it over with DH and see what he thinks. Our friends might not recognize us. :bigsmile: :wink:

BJ from SWO: It sounds like the snow is something you are happy about. I hope you enjoy it.:flowerforyou:

Sandy from ON: I haven’t been inspired to shop yet. I know what DD wants for each member of her family, and also what DDIL and DS want. DD will have some things shipped directly to her and likely some cash. DDIL and DS’s gifts will be gift certificates for now, translated into real things when he gets back home. DH and I are getting a refrigerator. :laugh: :laugh: I agree with you about MFP and this group of women. I had motivation, but not understanding when I started this journey. The MFP site gave me knowledge about what to do and this group has sustained my motivation and brought me a marvelous feeling of friendship and community.:heart::flowerforyou:

Barbie: You are so lucky that friends bought a house in your neighborhood. It is a blessing to have friends nearby. I skipped dessert yesterday, too, but will be having pumpkin pie for breakfast today.:devil:

Joyce: I’m happy that you had a good time with your family. Kids born 5 or more years apart are considered to be “Only” children. I am an only child and don’t recommend it. DGD may be one, too. DD has difficulty conceiving and they haven’t given up trying for another but accept the possibility that DGD may be an “only.” We put a filter into the water line that serves our refrigerator because the water here has too much calcium in it.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Thanks for suggesting the Salvation Army and Goodwill for the refrigerator. :flowerforyou: They are on our list. I’ll start making calls soon, so we can have a destination for our old one in mind when the new one arrives. That will be after Dec. 13. DH finally found the date of purchase on the old fridge-1994. It has been old enough to vote for a couple of years now, but is just shy of legal drinking age.:wink:

Deb A in CNY: Welcome back! There is no shame in dealing with your back problems and then returning to the fold. Sometimes we have to take a detour for a little while.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: You constantly amaze me with all the things you are able to accomplish. You seem like the Energizer Bunny.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Your family holiday sounds wonderful. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the day, the grandchildren, AND got to send leftovers home with your son to get the temptations out of the house.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Juanita and Yanniejannie: Our Christmas Cacti are also in full bloom now. I guess they’re really Thanksgiving Cacti. I think the bloom time is day length connected because they also bloom in the spring when the day length gets to be about what it is in November. I inherited the first one from my mom, who passed away in 1996, and she’d had it for years. It almost died a couple of years ago, but survived. The problem was over watering. The others came along after that and now I have too many.:ohwell:

It is Black Friday and no store will see me if I can help it, but I might shop online. We did our Black Friday shopping in advance. I resent the retail industry for turning this celebration of gratitude into a shopping orgy, but understand that the results include jobs for people who need them.
    I enjoy Barbie's gratitude quotations so much that I want to add one to the day:

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
    ― Marcel Proust

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon, who is grateful for all of you.

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies. Sure sounds like we all had a good Thanksgiving and made speical memories. I worked until 4:30 and then went to DS's for supper. My DDIL enjoys cooking and does such a good job. It was nice to go and be able to eat and enjoy the DGD and not worry about cooking or cleaning up the mess. I am so Blessed with you all as friends and support. Several of the older DGD were going out to the Black Friday sales. I didn't see anything I Couldn't live without. I did see Sam's club is having a good sale on photo Christmas cards and I thought about doing that. Since I have lost weight I would like to do that. See if I can get DS to take a picture of DH and I this evening. I am working until 2pm and then want to go home and get somethings done there so can put the tree up sometime this weekend.

Deb--:flowerforyou: HUGS!! Glad you are back on track.

Juanita--Beautiful cactus. I do not have much luck with in door plants. I remember years ago I had a air fern and it died. Two years ago DH got a plant when he had surgery and we put it in a big pot and it is in the spare room. It is grown and is doing well. I think it is because I forget about it most the time.

Hope you all are having a good day. Yesterday while I was working DH put some Christmas stuff up outside. I just feel it is coming so fast. This is my favorite time of year so trying to just relax and enjoy.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE