WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Renny: you need a day of rest!

Take care all, Meg

Hi Meg. I think I will. Time to rest.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I also need a new bra, Time to downgrade to a size 36 from a 38

ttyl
    Renny
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    Read through most of the last 15 pages. I needed to catch up and
    Find out how everyone is doing.
    I so miss being active on the blog.
    I am send hugs to all who are suffering or are in pain. Congrats to
    all the losers, weight or NSV!
    Thank you so much Barbie, for keeping the thread going.
    Thanks to all my bit F friends who provide encouraging words and comments.
    This is a " bump" so I can find the thread quicker next time!????
    LindaS in Sunny San Diego!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    morning morning ladies~
    my body clock is getting me up at 4:45 lately, so I get up and make the dogs food and give one his pill, get my warm lemon water and now just sitting in bed ,my little furbaby tucked in next to me.
    Molly- my sincerest sympathy on the loss of your furbaby,we have lost 3 over the last 17 yrs and it never gets easier,we miss each an every one dearly so sending you hugs xoxoxoxox

DH is in Virginia and driving he should be home by I say maybe early afternoon.he got a good nights sleep. what I didnt know is he takes a tylenol pm nightly.and he didnt have any with him so the first night he only got 2 hrs sleep.
    think today I am going to pick him up some melatonin ,that he can take nightly..
    got 15,000 steps in yesterday, and going to the gym this morning, they dont open until 7 so will go over then.
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Going to try and go to aquafit, hopefully being in the pool helps my knee.

6.7 lb lost this week...this means my goal to be under 300 lbs by Christmas/New Years is actually doable. I'm so excited.

Have a great day everyone.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: Sandy that is awsome , you had a great week and I am sure you will make your Christmas goal, I am excited for you

Juanita in sudbury
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I have been struggling with the Christmas Tree decision this year. I considered a fake, but went into the stores and touched them. Not going there this year. I actually have about 5 fakes, but they’re very little, under a foot tall each. One goes on the piano, another on the desk at the front door, another in the bathroom as a decoration, and so on. One is unlighted and is the centerpiece for the table. I bought these and decorated them between 15 & 20 years ago. When there will be kids home for Christmas we get a cut tree, usually 7 feet tall or so. There will not be kids home for Christmas this year. I’ve had rosemary bushes trained into Christmas tree shape during the off years, but my latest one didn’t survive the summer and I’m currently without one. There is a service in Portland that “rents” a living tree to you, you bring it back at the end of the holidays and they plant it in a park somewhere. I like the idea, but couldn’t get one in and out of the car or the house anymore. We lack the needed muscle power. There are tiny rosemary “trees” available at the super market, so it is an option but they are so small… I’ll figure it out.:ohwell:

Meg: Congratulations on the great hemoglobin A1C. 5.9% is amazing. It shows that you’ve been consistently taking care of yourself. WTG!:bigsmile:

Renny: Getting new, smaller bras is a wonderful NSV. Congratulations! :flowerforyou: I was really helped by the fitter whose suggestions were right on the mark. I thought I was in need of another new bra recently, too, but I tried using the middle hooks and it solved the problem for now. The cup size is still right and the middle setting is comfortable.

LindaS in San Diego: It is good to see you on the board. I hope you’ll make a habit of it.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Sandy from ON: 6.7 pounds lost in only 1 week? Congratulations! :bigsmile: Good luck meeting your goal and staying healthy.:flowerforyou:

Today we need to finish lighting our boat for the season. We need to replace a light string and weren’t willing to go to the store yesterday. :noway: Then we’ll start on the house lights. No ladders for us anyplace except at the front door and that isn’t a tall ladder.:wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Patceoh: well you didn’t ask me but I’ll butt right in. What has worked for me is making one tiny change at a time and sticking with it before trying to change something else. When I look at each change they are ridiculously small, but added together, I have a whole new lifestyle that I have kept up for over a year.

I'm all ears when it comes to diet advice/help.Thanks for yours. This is my 1st time sticking with it. Changes so far,cut back on amount of food eaten,eat breakfast (trying),drinking 6 glasses of water,often it's more.Tracking every day,joined a gym for water aerobic classes,weighing /measuring some food.

I'm so happy to have found this thread,it seems like my home port.A place where we've all been, trying to get there,or
    looking for friends & advice.

Things I need to work on,more exercise
    A snack only if hungry between meals,
    Being grateful for my small weight loss instead of worrying about my Slow losing.

All in good time & as the song goes
    "What will be will be"
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,256 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Sitting here watching the news about a helicopter crash on a pub in Glasgow. "In the midst of life . . . . . "

DH off at football. I will watch a French film. It's a thriller by someone I like as a director. We've had our wisteria trimmed back this morning as it had pulled the drainpipe off the wall. We needed a young lad to shin up a ladder!:laugh: Our next door neighbour supervised, which is very nice of him, but he obviously did not trust me to pay the guy as they didn't knock for payment. DH had given me cash to pay him, so I can only think that he thought a mere woman was not capable of sorting it out! ! ! :grumble: :noway: :angry:
    I will get DH to go round there tomorrow. :wink: :tongue:

Back a lot better, but I am still tender down below, so not counting my chickens yet. I did my gymming, managed 28 press ups and a few crunches. Also squats, but with a lighter weight. It's the weight training that I feel has made such a difference to my body shape, not just the losing weight, so I panic a bit when I can't do it.:blushing: I have never had such a good shape before in my whole life, tho the "girls" are a bit droopy. Then I am 64.:laugh: :laugh: :blushing:

This morning I cooked a carrot and swede puree for the Christmas dinner. One more thing out of the way! Labelled and in the freezer. Made yoghourt and cooked a lamb and swede curry. I will put some cauliflower florets in it when I heat it up tonight and cook it for another half an hour. It smells fab. Should be pretty low on calories without rice. Curry is just about my favourite thing.

My DS#1's birthday today. I got a text this morning to say he is in France and opened my present yesterday. He loved it! Said he had already put it up in the kitchen. It's a wood mounted poster of "Black Dog Beer ". His coaching website is blackdogcoach so I couldn't resist! He loves dogs and beer and his current girlfriend has a dog grooming business! :bigsmile: :love:

I have decided to buy a guinea fowl to put in the freezer in case there are any disasters over my Christmas supermarket delivery. Last time there was a light sprinkling of snow they rang to say they couldn't come because their loading bay was too slippery. I don't want to be left with no Christmas dinner! ! :noway: It's a bit belt and braces, but it stops me being neurotic!:laugh: We have visitors for the 2 days before Christmas so dashing out for last minute supplies is not really on.

Katla- we will see what this tree looks like. It is an expensive make and their flowers are fabulous, so I am hopeful. It's only a 4 ft one, but it goes on a side table so looks bigger!:bigsmile: :wink:

Love to all from sunny Hampshire UK
    Heather
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies
    Before I forget, Happy wishes on the festival of Hanukkah Barbie, to you and all your loved ones, and all others who celebrate this festival. Hope everyone had a great time at Thanksgiving and Black friday.:flowerforyou:
    Molly so sorry about your furbaby, have had them all my life, each one is special and so much a part of the family.
    Sandy sorry about the fall, but YAY for the weight loss:bigsmile: I'm sure u will reach your goal
    Glad to share the scale dipped 0.6 kg this week, dont know how much was the influence ofthe vegetables n fruits, but I'm clicking my heels.
    Glad to have so many ladies coming back and happy to see so many achievements.
    Great job Meg on your haemoglobin, no cavities???? Super:love:
    Heather you push our imaginations too with your out of the box celebrations and loving description of food. U have helped many of us look at food as a blessing and not our enemy:blushing: , thanks to your enthusiasm I no longer dread cooking our meals, its a pleasure :bigsmile:
    Am rushing to meet friends over dinner..... of course will stick to Tandoori chicken and loads of salad. Take care
    Joyce u write so beautifully...... thanks for showing us what all to be thankful for
    Katla love your Rosemary Christmas tree... u wrote an entire para on Christmas trees!!!! Wow
    Anamika
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies! Wow! So much has happened in the last few days!

Molly- I am so sorry that you lost your furbaby. Such sad news.

Sandy- How did the aquafit session go? I hope you enjoy that exercise because I really think it is fun and very effective. I just know that you will make your New Year's goal......I have great faith in you!

I am really enjoying being here w/ my SO and his furbabies. He has a "senior citizen" jack Russell terrier named TinkerBell (no, he didn't name her) and a purebred Siamese named Silkie-She Who Runs the World! Even they were happy to see me!

The only store I entered on Black Friday was the supermarket so I could get myself some yogurt, gluten free bread, and fruit. However, today it is a craft fair and a town full of small shops, so I might do some economic sharing of the wealth!

Food is going ok. I do not think I am losing, but I think I am maintaining. I hope that I can stay about the same until I can get back to Az and back to a routine.

Take care and be well, my Friends. I will try to check in again later to log my day's food.

Phoo
  • Chubby465
    Options
    I don't know if I introduced myself yet. I'm Alice. I'm 66 and trying hard to get some weight off. Unfortunately, I've had 8 surgeries in the last 8 years. Two in 2013. Each time I get started on an exercise and weight loss program something else happens that sidelines me. Right now I'm having some asthma problems, but I started back to Curves today going to Zumba class this morning, . I'm going to keep a food diary on-line also. Hopefully this will help. I also would like to be included in you support group. Thank you.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    morning Alice~ we are here for support,stop in anytime..
    Well I have found the new love of my life:bigsmile: fleece lined leggings. Oh they are just to die for as it was only 13 degrees when I got up and only 24 now.. I am actually thin enough that I dont look like a stuffed sausage and they are super super comfortable. so what did I do after I hit the gym? went and bought 3 more pair :laugh:
    let me tell you I will be wearing these all winger long...
    DH should be home around 3 pm so that is good. will let him get settled take a nice hot bath and make him some dinner.
    Ive been lonely without him here, it is ok to have my furbaby boys here,but they dont converse with you except to demand carrots,treats and walks:wink: hope everyone is enjoying there weekend
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies;

We had a nice Thanksgiving with our immediate family. I did the turkey and supervised my daughter and DIL making the sides. I'm passing on the baton to them and it is really nice. I did the washing up as we went along so after our lunch the clean up was much easier. My son did the potatoes and as I taught him to cook a long time ago he didn't need any help. He is probably the best cook of the bunch but the girls are coming a long.

I didn't log my calories but I know I didn't over eat because I didn't feel terrible afterwards. We actually had the pie and coffee for our dinner. I felt a little sorry for my son and DIL because they had to go to her brothers after they left here so I know they over ate that day. My son works at Lowe's Home Improvement so he had to work yesterday. I am NOT a black Friday shopper. Getting out in traffic that busy makes me crazy so I just don't do it. There is nothing in this world I want that much :laugh:

Today is my sister's birthday so I am going to call her in a little bit.

I hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Cindy
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Nice to see positive posts. Will check in with you fine group of motivated MFP members. Have an awesome Friday :) Marise from the okanagan valley

:flowerforyou: Welcome Marise! I hope you will post more often. You will indeed find motivation here.
    I don't know if I introduced myself yet. I'm Alice. I'm 66 and trying hard to get some weight off. Unfortunately, I've had 8 surgeries in the last 8 years. Two in 2013. Each time I get started on an exercise and weight loss program something else happens that sidelines me. Right now I'm having some asthma problems, but I started back to Curves today going to Zumba class this morning, . I'm going to keep a food diary on-line also. Hopefully this will help. I also would like to be included in you support group. Thank you.

:flowerforyou: Hi Alice - Welcome! I am sure the steps you are taking all help, despite all your setbacks. Feel free to post and keep us up to date. This is a great place for support.

I am off to Yoga, so will get back later.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Hello to say I'm still kicking. I'm cooking up a batch of cauliflower fried rice for my lunch and supper. I like the stuff almost as good or maybe better than fried rice.

Be back shortly.
    Linda in freezing Northern Ontario.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Caught up on the thread while I ate my turkey sandwich and pear for lunch. Thanks for joining me for lunch. :smile: Off to the Y in a bit while DH is at the golf course.

I spent some time in the laundry / pantry area today, re-organizing like items, culling a bit, etc. DH hovered nearby just in case there was a treasure I was inclined to pitch. (Silly guy, I only do that when he isn't home! :wink: ) I did manage to clear out enough space to store a crockpot and Foreman grill in the cabinets, vs. the countertop -- I'll count that as a win.

There is a bit of yard cleanup to do after the frosty nights, but I'll wait until tomorrow when it is supposed to be less windy. Hopefully a little warmer, too.

Linda and others we haven't seen in a while -- it was good to see your posts!

Need to get on my way, so BBL to find the new thread. (Thanks, Barbie!)

Gail, metro ATL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about your knee…..having just spent a month getting almost recovered from a fall, I know how frustrating it can be to be sidelined even if it’s only for a day…..aqua fit might be just the ticket to for your knee tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: Katla, I got the spinning dreidel icon from glittergraphics…..they have pictures for almost anything you can think of.

:flowerforyou: Meg, congrats on your A1C results…hope you get your energy back soon…..about statins, I was so upset when my doctor prescribed them until he told me that my cholesterol numbers had been bad even when I was in my 30’s and was eating healthy and my weight was down---can’t fight the family factors….now I take the meds gladly and am grateful to live at a time when they exist.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, solitude is great especially after being bombarded by family or friends for too long

:bigsmile: Linda S. I am so happy to see you posting with us again…..I see you on my home page, but this is better

:bigsmile: Renny, needing new underwear in a smaller size is an awesome NSV

:flowerforyou: Patceoh, what worked for me is just what you’re doing…..i started by logging my food even when it was too high calorie and not very healthy…..then I could make small changes…….making a huge change is often too hard to maintain……I have always liked to walk and I began to look for more opportunities to walk….now all my friends know that I will meet them for a walk, but not for a meal.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I understand what you’re saying about the weight training….except for squats I haven’t been able to do anything since my fall a month ago and I think I’ll wait at least another week.

:bigsmile: Anamika, I’m sure that the fruits and vegetables have had a great influence on your weight loss…..congratulations.

:flowerforyou: Phoo, having maintaining as a weight goal over the holidays is a great idea……I am happy to hear that you are doing well being with you SO and the fur babies.

:flowerforyou: Alice, now that you have posted, you are part of our friendly community of women……many of us have had surgeries, illnesses, or injuries and are finding ways to eat healthy and burn calories in spite of these bumps in the road……come back often and join in.

:bigsmile: Grandmallie, those fleece lined leggings sound like something that I would like….I enjoy my darling hubby being gone for about half a day and then I miss him terribly.

:bigsmile: Cindy, your Thanksgiving sounds as close to perfect as the day could be.

Linda C. is it already so cold and freezing that you can’t get out to take a walk?

:flowerforyou: Gail, reorganizing is such satisfying work

:brokenheart: Jake has some sort of flu or cold…..he went to bed early in the guest room last night and this morning after showering, dressing, and eating a small breakfast, he went back to bed so I have spent my morning walking dogs and puttering on the computer. When he feels like this, he doesn’t want meals prepared for him, so he has canned chicken noodle soup to heat up if he wants it, and I am free from cooking. I had planned to make latkes again today (very labor intensive) so I am glad to be free of that.

125348s4vbqulv93.gif 125347fa3fzrtcfh.gif 2580462w1svqu6w9j.gif 1853435iv8ava9ssr.gif

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    i watched a little t.v and fell asleep for about 1/2 hr, got up and fed the boys and now just waiting on the DH to get home, he will be exsausted... he is about 45 minutes away but stuck in traffic~ welcome back to Connecticut, took the boys for there jaunt around the block ,and made myself a turkey ,small amount of stuffing,1/2 tablespoon light mayo, and sugar free whole cranberry sauce in a rye wrap.. it was delish... might have small bowl of cereal for dinner later.. been trying to get my water intake up, so having 16 oz cups of herbal tea, and now having 24 oz of ice water. fighting a bit of a headache and just took some tylenol.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Molly............hugs again for your loss.

Joyce..........I think my computer has been talking to your ice maker

Dee Dee..........I am with you and Katla on buying US goods when I can; we have lost soooooooo many manufacturing jobs; I even try for locally owned eating places rather than chains, although I do realize they employ local people (love my Panera!!!)

LOVE the SNOW pics!!! Thanks to those posting them!!!

Katla........So you are another ones of those green thumbs!! Thanks for that Marcel Proust quote.........one of my favs

Linda in N. Ont.........always glad to see you.........knowing where you really are makes me feel guilty for c/o about my temps

Meg..........I'd be glad to send you some energy if I had any to spare :) Major congrats on that beautiful A1C.

Sandy..........posted another fabulous loss.........you are really kicking it!!!! I'm sure you'll meet your Christmas goal.

Barb..........enjoying your Hanukkah graphics very much...........I made a trip to a special bakery for my challah bread for French toast. Everyone: if you have never used challah bread for French toast, you don't know what you are missing---it is the absolute best!!!

Well, DD is working on getting caught up on reading and finishing up a paper; she's not had much of a "break" this week, will be heading back to college tomorrow, it's just flown by and I'm sad as always as these hours wind down. She wants a veggie dinner so planned asparagus, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato and cauliflower.

Gotta go..........football game ..........Va. vs.Va. Tech is calling!!!!

yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! Not much going on here today. Hubby is installed on the sofa coughing, blowing, and clicking between football games. This is very unusual for him, as he never really seemed interested in football before. Must be running a fever.

I'm waiting for bread dough to rise. I'm making low sodium french bread to have with leftover low sodium chili tonight. The chili is always better the second night.

I'm going to have to go shopping tomorrow. My grandson turns 5 on Dec. 3rd, so I need to get him a present. No idea what. Maybe my son can give me an idea. Hopefully the crazy shopping frenzy will be over by tomorrow and it won't be too bad.

Well, I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Sylvia