Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'll ask 1 more question.

If a majority of your sugar is coming from natural fruit and vegetables do you think it's okay to go over by 150g?

Does it take your carbs over your limit? Does it still allow you to get your other macros? Does it displace other nutrients?

If not, then yes it is (particularly as you would be getting a lot of nutrients). You may want to watch the fiber though.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options

If a majority of your sugar is coming from natural fruit and vegetables do you think it's okay to go over by 150g?

Yup. Totally fine. Unless you have some metabolic or hormonal issue which makes your body do bad things with sugar, or those extra 150g of sugar will put you over your calorie limit, should be fine.

Of course, I'd say that about going over by any amount of sugar, regardless of source. Just so you know my bias.

Edit because I hate double posting: I'm going to assume you actually didn't want to start an argument about the sugar. You just wanted some foods that worked well with a low-sugar diet. I don't doubt that. Unfortunately, your timing for asking this question was...let's say sub-optimal. I don't know if you noticed, but there are a rather large amount of anti-sugar (specifically anti-fructose, though sugars in general are getting dragged in) threads on this board at the moment. Which means that your innocuous question, which may have drawn maybe a few critics and more lists and been a much shorter thread on any other given week, instead got to be the latest ring for the boards current heavyweight title fight, which in turn lead to an undercard of "why pets get diabetes". Sorry bout that.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Question. How do you think animals get diabetes? No one in their right mind would feed their animals tons of sugar- cats don't even taste sugar so they wouldn't be inclined to eat it anyway. (and DO NOT tell me it is added into their pet food. I'm a vet assistant and know that to be untrue.)

Answer: Obesity and poor diet. So just to be clear not related to consuming sugar.

Holy hell, it is scary that you are a vet tech. What do you think the primary ingredient in most cat food is? CORN. A carb, AKA sugar, a carb. Cat's are supposed to be on high protein diets. Sure Cat's get fat because of POOR DIET, and INACTIVITY. But you can bet that a cat on a grain free diet is going to be FAR healthier than a cat eating whatever comes from the cheapest shelf in a walmart pet aisle. You are not going to see an "Obese" cat on a grain free diet, that is for sure.

Heres what most people feed their cats(Note "by-product", "corn, corn, rice, cellulose"):
    Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor), brewers dried yeast, gelatin, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

Heres what is in what I feed my cat:
    Chicken,Chicken Broth,Water,Turkey,Chicken Liver,Egg Whites,Potato Starch,Natural Flavor,Sodium Phosphate,Dried Egg,Potassium Chloride,Carrageenan,Taurine,Salt,Vitamin A Supplement,Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin(Vitamin B2),Niacin (Vitamin B3),d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
    Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),Biotin (Vitamin B7),Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),Vitamin B12 Supplement,Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement,Iron Amino Acid Chelate,Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,Copper Amino Acid Chelate,Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,Potassium Iodide,Choline Chloride,Calcium Carbonatetobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product

And proteins and fats are broken down into glucose through gluconeogenesis.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, but yes, that is exactly why animals (including humans) on low carb diets do not get hypoglycemic. Our body creates its own glucose. And we can also enter the state of ketosis, where it no longer uses glucose as a fuel, and instead burns fat and ketones for energy.

I was disagreeing with you.

Then why did you prove low carb diets as being valid? (I assume it's because you looked it up on wikipedia and thought you were being clever.)
  • sistess
    Options
    If you are not a diabetic and getting the majority of you sugar from fruits and vegetables while maintaining a healthy diet, don't worry about it.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Yup. Totally fine. Unless you have some metabolic or hormonal issue which makes your body do bad things with sugar, or those extra 150g of sugar will put you over your calorie limit, should be fine.

Of course, I'd say that about going over by any amount of sugar, regardless of source. Just so you know my bias.

Edit because I hate double posting: I'm going to assume you actually didn't want to start an argument about the sugar. You just wanted some foods that worked well with a low-sugar diet. I don't doubt that. Unfortunately, your timing for asking this question was...let's say sub-optimal. I don't know if you noticed, but there are a rather large amount of anti-sugar (specifically anti-fructose, though sugars in general are getting dragged in) threads on this board at the moment. Which means that your innocuous question, which may have drawn maybe a few critics and more lists and been a much shorter thread on any other given week, instead got to be the latest ring for the boards current heavyweight title fight, which in turn lead to an undercard of "why pets get diabetes". Sorry bout that.

I actually didn't know that. Thanks for that. Haha. :)
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Looks like this post has been beaten to a pulp. I track sugar. It's the only way I lose weight. Try hummus, Hormel nitrate free turkey deli meat, smoothies from Whole Foods (sugar but only in the fruit which you can eliminate or keep minimal), lean ground beef, kale, salmon with tamari soy sauce, lean steaks, salads, chicken breast, kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, protein shakes, protein bars. Good luck with your journey!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Why are you limiting your sugar, it doesnt really matter for weight loss, what matters is the type of sugar you consume...Apples are better than Chocolate
  • benefiting
    Options
    Looks like this post has been beaten to a pulp. I track sugar. It's the only way I lose weight. Try hummus, Hormel nitrate free turkey deli meat, smoothies from Whole Foods (sugar but only in the fruit which you can eliminate or keep minimal), lean ground beef, kale, salmon with tamari soy sauce, lean steaks, salads, chicken breast, kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, protein shakes, protein bars. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you. :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    People are so freaking mean on this site. You guys are all forgetting that eating foods high in sugar all day long can do a hell of a lot of **** to your teeth for a start. I've got a cavity right now because even though I brushed my teeth three times a day I ate lots of sugary foods IN BETWEEN brushing my teeth (fruit, cereal bars, jello, frozen yogurt, dried fruit, etc - not even stuff like chocolate and cookies!). You might not need to eat a low sugar diet to help lose weight but people might choose to do it for other reasons and it's their prerogative to do so. God almighty the amount of people on here berating you for your choices.. now I remember why I don't usually go on the forums.

Enjoy not using the forums?

Or perhaps people should just stop being antisocial lol. I know some people must have had a crappy childhoods where their parents were not there for them or abusive but its not people on here's fault :-) Its just sad that some have such a deep inferiority that you need to make other people other people feel crap to boost their self esteem for a minute or two. They are just very very sad people.
  • davenporter
    davenporter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is not bad. It's the milk chocolate you want to take out; dark chocolate is actually pretty good. Only 5g of sugar in this dark chocolate bar (and 5g of FIBER!):

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/ghirardelli/midnight-reverie-chocolate-86%-cacao
  • benefiting
    Options
    Chocolate is not bad. It's the milk chocolate you want to take out; dark chocolate is actually pretty good. Only 5g of sugar in this dark chocolate bar (and 5g of FIBER!):

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/ghirardelli/midnight-reverie-chocolate-86%-cacao

I actually thought about getting some chocolate again not the crap stuff.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Banana is about the highest sugar fruit at ~20% so that's 750 grams (1.7 lbs) of bananas on top of the sugar allowance, or double that of apples etc. Really ?

If you look at the nutrition data for fruit it isn't very impressive, 150 grams of broccoli (8g sugar ?) would be better for you and it wouldn't have anything like as many gratuitous calories of sugar.

The guideline daily allowance of total sugars in places that have such a thing (Aus / EU ? UK) is typically 90 grams a day. The wise people that came up with that hopefully have some logic or evidence behind it (?).
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm just sad that we've got to the point where we demonise fruit.
  • benefiting
    Options

I love fruit. However, I want to try something different and have as little sugar as possible even if that sugar is natural and fruit just happens to be high in it. That's all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Raw cauliflower. It's the newest fad here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yarwell
    Options

The people who like sugar are going through the same emotions.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just to put my two pence in here. I've read that sugar doesn't spike your insulin if you consume it alongside another macronutrient i.e. protein, fat or fiber. The tests on the glycaemic index were done on carbs in isolation, they are metabolised entirely differently when there is nothing to slow down their absorption. So this means that bananas and apples are fine because they have fiber but something like white bread (no fiber or protein) will affect you like pure sugar. I hope I explained that alright.
  • lannabelle
    lannabelle Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Foods that contain little to no sugar? Eggs, cheese, meat, nuts.....bacon. Can't forget bacon.

mmmmmm...bacon. Om nom nom :tongue:
  • yarwell
    Options
    Just to put my two pence in here. I've read that sugar doesn't spike your insulin if you consume it alongside another macronutrient i.e. protein, fat or fiber. The tests on the glycaemic index were done on carbs in isolation

GI tests are usually done in isolation, as they are trying to be accurate about a specific measurement. However the glycaemic index of a pizza or snickers bar inevitably involves other macronutrients and isn't zero - see http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm - so there is a glucose and insulin response to carbs in the presence of proteins, fats and fiber. It is affected by the other stuff, but by no means eliminated.

Below is the insulin response to 3 different carbs either alone in a drink or as part of a mixed meal :-

insulinresponse.png
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Raw cauliflower. It's the newest fad here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You know, I see people making fun of cauliflower all the time like it's some sort of crazy fad around here, and I almost NEVER see any serious threads about it, besides those making fun of it.