Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Looks like this post has been beaten to a pulp. I track sugar. It's the only way I lose weight. Try hummus, Hormel nitrate free turkey deli meat, smoothies from Whole Foods (sugar but only in the fruit which you can eliminate or keep minimal), lean ground beef, kale, salmon with tamari soy sauce, lean steaks, salads, chicken breast, kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, protein shakes, protein bars. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you. :)

Be sure to read the labels on the protein bars. A lot of them are filled with sugar. Although I did lose a lot of weight 6 years ago with the help of protein bars.

One of my FB friends is on a totally-no-sugar diet for 3 months. Something about Candida infections, and the sugar creates a healthy environment for Candida to flourish. I'll see if I can find the info for you.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There's a food list on this site. I'm not taking on stand on whether the Candida diet is good/bad, and I hope people can try to stay on track with the topic. I'm only sharing this because it has a list of sugar-free foods.

http://www.holistichelp.net/candida-diet.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

So carrots make you fat? Wow....good luck on your journey...it's going to be a tough one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm just sad that we've got to the point where we demonise fruit.

and vegetables...it's ridiculous.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fair play mate. Interesting stuff cheers
  • leahruth2012
    leahruth2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! I read some of these comments and a lot of you people are being really awful! Maybe losing weight isn't the only goal? Sometimes its about being healthy, taking care of your body, and feeding it what it needs. Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value, and actually does make you fat. When you have too much sugar your liver goes into hyper-drive trying to balance your blood sugar level, and stores that sugar as fat- that super hard to get rid of stubborn belly fat everyone hates. Sugar is addicting, having the same sort of affect as cocaine. Cancer cells feed on sugar. In fact, sugar is connected to a lot of health issues. But we live in a society where we are sold sugar in every shape, form, and name, and spreading the truth about it's affect on the human body is bad for business.
    Regardless, you should notice that the original poster did not ask for your opinions on how best to lose weight, but instead requested foods that are low in sugar. Why anyone would want to bash another person's attempt to limit sugar intake is beyond me, maybe you are just depressed you didn't have the willpower to control your own sugar habits. Maybe it isn't an issue for you.
    Either way, I look for high protein foods like meats, eggs, and cheese because protein will help to stop a sugar craving. I also try to eat something salty to introduce a different taste. It is important to eat enough calories that your body doesn't go into starvation mode, so I eat almonds or have a protein drink if I am falling short of that goal.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    eating sugar makes your glucose spike weather you are diabetic or not
    No, limiting your calories will help with weight loss. It's really insignificant where they come from.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow! I read some of these comments and a lot of you people are being really awful! Maybe losing weight isn't the only goal? Sometimes its about being healthy, taking care of your body, and feeding it what it needs. Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value, and actually does make you fat. When you have too much sugar your liver goes into hyper-drive trying to balance your blood sugar level, and stores that sugar as fat- that super hard to get rid of stubborn belly fat everyone hates. Sugar is addicting, having the same sort of affect as cocaine. Cancer cells feed on sugar. In fact, sugar is connected to a lot of health issues. But we live in a society where we are sold sugar in every shape, form, and name, and spreading the truth about it's affect on the human body is bad for business.
    Regardless, you should notice that the original poster did not ask for your opinions on how best to lose weight, but instead requested foods that are low in sugar. Why anyone would want to bash another person's attempt to limit sugar intake is beyond me, maybe you are just depressed you didn't have the willpower to control your own sugar habits. Maybe it isn't an issue for you.
    Either way, I look for high protein foods like meats, eggs, and cheese because protein will help to stop a sugar craving. I also try to eat something salty to introduce a different taste. It is important to eat enough calories that your body doesn't go into starvation mode, so I eat almonds or have a protein drink if I am falling short of that goal.

You say you read the comments...however.....

Question: how does sugar make you fat on a caloric deficit?.

Also, I would love to see the study(ies) you are referring to re cancer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    eating sugar makes your glucose spike weather you are diabetic or not
    No, limiting your calories will help with weight loss. It's really insignificant where they come from.

And what does that do?