cant poop! tried everything! pretty please help!

Options

Replies

• tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    On Wednesday, my son broke his hand falling at the skateboard park. Hmmm what to do? Well I sure didn't rush home and ask mfp what my next step should be. I used common sense and took him to the emergency room. No one here is a doctor, so why ask us. Some of us are bright and some...well...not so much. You must see a doctor immediately....no question about this. Even if you have no medical insurance, the local clinic in your area will charge around $100. This is about your health, so take it seriously. Don't ask strangers what to do....it is your health....thus it is your responsibility. Back away from the computer and go to the doctor.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    Those magnesium supplements that you take for vitamins make you go. I hate it, because they help my migraines and I don't want to have to run to the restroom :D But they sound good for you :) I was taking 400mg, which may be the RDA (not sure).

haha cool im gona have to try 400mg milk of magnesia cuz relying on orange dulcolax pills twice a week 4 the past year just sucks blah
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just pooped.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on the topic, however there is a healthy range, and it doesn't have to be every day. There are a lot of medications that can interfere with GI function, and stress can do it too. You need to see a doctor to rule out serious problems. Once those have been ruled out, your doctor may or may not be able to tell you what is causing it, and will have suggestions for alleviating it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I just pooped.

:drinker: :smokin:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be needing the top one soon!!

toity.jpg
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    What generally works for me:
    Coffee
    Booze (only need a tad)
    Eating more (you are eating too little for activity level; time for a refeed)
    Fiber must not be too high or too low (generally limit to 20g per 1000 calories; above 10g per 1000)
    My thyroid medications make a difference; check to see that you don't have low thyroid
    Water intake could factor in
    Stress (cortisol basically; goes back to dieting to hard as well)
    Sleep
    Micro nutrient intake

Look at all of these; before seeing the doctor; fix what needs to be fixed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just pooped.

:drinker: :smokin:

Thanks. :blushing:
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor NOW, do you know that you can develop a fecaloma ? and in very extreme cases you can start to vomit feces ? Going to the toilet 2 to 3 times a month is NOT normal.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Some types of laxatives actually PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the NERVE OF YOUR INTESTINES, so your intestines won't contract on it's own, nor move the poo down they system on it's own.
    Prolong use of laxatives can cause electrolyte imblances, damage to OTHER organs such as your heart & kidneys, & colitis.

Also, Miralex has polyethylene gloycol 3350, which is getting a bad rap.
    blood in your stools; or
    severe and worsening stomach pain
    cramping
    bloating.
    upset stomach;
    dizziness;...

See your Doc, stat . I can not stress this enough.

http://www.choosehelp.com/eating-disorders/laxative-abuse-it-can-kill-and-it-doesnt-work.html
    http://web.pdx.edu/~sujata/FruitEze/education/laxative/habit.html
    http://www.rxlist.com/miralax-drug.htm
    http://drkaayladaniel.com/the-poop-on-miralax/
  • CindyFeldman1230
    Options
    Lindsey... if you make it to my reply, try these options! A "smooth move" tea with the herb Senna. You can also buy straight Senna and add to any green/caffiene free tea, but you must be very careful as it will bring on nasty cramping and diarea! Take it easy and always drink before you go to bed. In the morning, you'll hopefully have a beautiful moring movement!!

However, I strongly suggest you look into potential allergy or food sensitivity. Trying an elimenation diet to rule out the big ones like: dairy, gluten, peanuts, soy, eggs. A great resource for me was the book "Clean" by Dr. Junger. I also now see a natural pathic medicine doctor who gave me a similar plan to "Clean" and she helped me stay "clean" for 3 weeks and then slowly re-introduced the possible food culprits! "Dairy is my sensitivity!" Since I've stopped all dairy... no more congestion, bloating and fatigue! Food sensitivities can really cause quite a few problems.

Good luck with whatever you try! You have a pretty healthy lifestyle. So, I sure hope you can get to the root of your poopin' troubles!!

Cindy
  • lithezebra
    Options
    What generally works for me:
    Coffee
    Booze (only need a tad)
    Eating more (you are eating too little for activity level; time for a refeed)
    Fiber must not be too high or too low (generally limit to 20g per 1000 calories; above 10g per 1000)
    My thyroid medications make a difference; check to see that you don't have low thyroid
    Water intake could factor in
    Stress (cortisol basically; goes back to dieting to hard as well)
    Sleep
    Micro nutrient intake

Look at all of these; before seeing the doctor; fix what needs to be fixed.

Respectfully, when it's already been weeks or months, it's important to see the doctor, in the relatively unlikely, but serious, event you've got something going on like inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, celiac disease, or hypothyroidism. Even if it's just your allergy medication or antidepressant, your doctor needs to know. If you've already tried self treatment, and haven't gotten back to normal, it's time for an appointment.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    with all the fr* fiber and laxatives, you have messed up your GI track.
    "No urge to poop" - yep, sounds like you damaged the nerves in your intestines.

Go. See. A. Doctor.
    You need professional medical advice, not advice from a bunch of us here on this forum.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    i eat around 1500 calories a day.... ....i lift 5x a week and do cardio 3x a week as well as a wii workout game 5x a week....

....i poop maybe 3x a MONTH and i havent lost any weight in 4 months because of it

Hi there,

Agree with others that you should get a gastro app't about the infrequent bowel movements.

But I have to say the weight loss aspect to your post doesn't add up, unless you're absolutely tiny, under 5ft tall. Not over a four-month period anyway. Are you using a food scale for your logging? Perhaps open your diary so people can have a little look?

All the best
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Seconding what some have already said, including seeing a doctor to ensure there's no blockage.

From my own experience (lifelong struggles despite good water/fiber/etc, now no longer an issue):

--magnesium helps.... a LOT. And not just for the short term. Most people don't get nearly enough, especially if you are taking calcium supplements which can be VERY binding and also lower the available magnesium. I take three forms of magnesium but the one that helps keep me regular is magnesium citrate *tablets* (not the vile liquid stuff they give you prior to medical procedures) taken in the evening. If your kidney function is normal, you can take quite a bit of magnesium safely without burdening your system. Same cannot be said for calcium--too much ca is a potentially serious problem. I personally take three mag citrate tablets after dinner every night (600mg total). Two (400mg) is the usual dose and is probably adequate for most people. Magnesium is calming and even soporific so it's best to take it at night.

--do dial back the fiber, particularly the dry forms. Too much makes it hard for your muscles to move the bulk. Fiber from vegetables and fruits are better.

--slippery elm bark is a very gentle, mucilage-forming fiber that lubricates and soothes the whole digestive tract and can really help ease things along, especially if your bowel muscles are weak or struggling. Doesn't take much to make a difference. Should be taken with warm liquid to help it gel up. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach works well for me. Drink a quarter teaspoon in boiling water (let it sit and steep for a few minutes) as a warm beverage, or you can take capsules if you tend to have hot coffee or tea in the morning. I take one or two capsules with a glass of water, then follow with my coffee. I do this a couple of times a week or as needed.

Good luck on this, it's a miserable feeling.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    i eat around 1500 calories a day.... ....i lift 5x a week and do cardio 3x a week as well as a wii workout game 5x a week....

....i poop maybe 3x a MONTH and i havent lost any weight in 4 months because of it

Hi there,

Agree with others that you should get a gastro app't about the infrequent bowel movements.

But I have to say the weight loss aspect to your post doesn't add up, unless you're absolutely tiny, under 5ft tall. Not over a four-month period anyway. Are you using a food scale for your logging? Perhaps open your diary so people can have a little look?

All the best

It adds up. One can easily retain a gallon of water in the gut, and that's 8 pounds right there. If you're trying to lose 1/2 pound a week, which is a totally reasonable goal, that's about 8 pounds in 4 months.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Providing over the counter advice to someone in this position is irresponsible. Granted, the OP is the one seeking help from an internet forum.

GO. TO. YOUR. DOCTOR.

I'm also with the other poster who thinks you might be underestimating/forgetting some bowel movements.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    O.O
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    It adds up. One can easily retain a gallon of water in the gut, and that's 8 pounds right there. If you're trying to lose 1/2 pound a week, which is a totally reasonable goal, that's about 8 pounds in 4 months.

I'm not sure about that. I think all the water in the bowel gets absorbed by the lining of the bowel walls and then excreted as urine or moisture in the breath?
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about that. I think all the water in the bowel gets absorbed by the lining of the bowel walls and then excreted as urine or moisture in the breath?

:sick: