Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Options
I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? T

I hope you're joking. Just because you can't control yourself means the whole office can't have treats?! Ummm no. We also have a treat counter at work - it's called real life and sometimes we have to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds like a really good way to be the popular one at the office! It isn't their fault you have no self control.
  • midnightmickey
    Options
    Wait.... When you say shove it in your face do you mean they actually serve you a plate and hand it to you or are you just referring to it being there?

If the former, you may want to start bringing a couple larger bottles of water to work with you if you can't resist the treats in the kitchen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people are nice and bring in food for their friends. What jerks.

Apparently they are force-feeding you, too? You're an adult. Make some adult choices.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

Our treat counter is also next to the water. It still doesn't mean I have to eat cake every time I walk by. This is YOUR issue not theirs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I hope you're joking. Just because you can't control yourself means the whole office can't have treats?! Ummm no. We also have a treat counter at work - it's called real life and sometimes we have to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

While my response wasn't gonna carry quite that harshness, I must admit I agree with this sentiment.

I have worked in many offices like that. I worked at a nonprofit that offered free frozen custard (concretes, sundaes, whatever you wanted) delivered to everyone on Friday afternoons. I worked in a psychiatry practice that had 3 dozen donuts every Tuesday and a constant stream of pharmaceutical rep gifts (cookies, candy, nuts, etc) available to staff 8 hrs per day...and one older doc who made creamy chai in a Crock Pot with fresh maple cookies from his wife...yeah...I didn't resist. But it was my fault, not anyone else's!!

For me the harder thing to avoid is people with their constant diet talk. I worked in a law firm where the women OBSESSED all day long over fad diets and weight loss programs. That was such a downer.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Grow up.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I agree..you just need better self control. As with anything, religion, weight loss Etc. you should push your beliefs and habbits on others.
  • SwtPzYaya
    SwtPzYaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

This is only a test... you have to show will power! When they start to shove it in your face, now thats the DEVIL trying to keep you in a unhealthly place. If it is that much of a problem going into the kitchen, make other arrangements to get your water and coffee for the day...
    Stay strong, don't give in to the little stuff..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'd imagine their boss(es) would frown upon that, as it would be difficult for them to do their work with a) the food in the way; and b) people constantly coming to their desks and interrupting them while they're working.

In short, grow up and deal with it.

Oh, and I bet you could get some water from the sink in the bathroom, if you tried.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I agree..you just need better self control. As with anything, religion, weight loss Etc. you should push your beliefs and habbits on others.

oops *shouldnt* lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    in for the funniness that will likely ensue.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Put a piece of tape over your mouth when you go in that room. Or chew gum. Or brush your teeth every hour.
    Might help you be less likely to sneak a bite~
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

Talk to your boss about this, OP. Maybe they'll lose their jobs!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

So they should be more accommodating to you? They are probably trying to be nice. I work in an office of 750 people, there's crap everywhere - kitchen, on people's desks, filing cabinets, break room. However, I realize that I am an adult in charge of my own decisions and use self control. It's not their problem, it's yours.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You need to work on your self control. You can't expect everyone around you to avoid eating treats just because you don't want them. Stuff like this is always going to happen. Either take a SMALL piece (if you absolutely can't say no to it) and log it, or get in and get out and don't take a second glance at it.
    Throwing away something that someone else brought in for EVERYONE is definitely rude. Yikes.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

And the award for the "self-centered-the world-must-revolve-around-me" post of the day goes to....
  • Beckaroo94
    Options
    The kitchen seems like the most sensible place to put it. It isn't their fault or their problem if you can't control yourself. Throwing it in the bin wouldn't be a nice thing to do at all, and would lead to problems. I hope you are joking
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    And why are you cying about this? We get crap from vendors all the time. I work at a Big Law firm so we always get pastries. SO what if they bring in food? Walk into the kitchen and laugh at all of the fatties eating that crap. If it fits your macros then have a taste.

I'm always laughing when my coworkers say "youre going to eat that?" I'm like "yes, I'll burn it off in no time"
This discussion has been closed.