Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Options

Replies

• mrsduke2924
    mrsduke2924 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's tough but I'm afraid it's down to your own willpower.

My colleague makes the BEST meringues and victoria sponge ever. Not every day or every week, but every couple of months she has a big baking session and brings the yumminess in.
    When this happens I'll treat myself to a slice and then work it off later and fit it into my macros for the day.

I figure I don't want to go the rest of my life ignoring things I enjoy and being miserable because of it - they have to be factored in as treats, the key is just not mauling the whole gateau into your face :)

Shoving it all in the bin isn't the answer. They'll bring more and just be cross with you. If that kitchen is your only source of water make sure you go fill your bottle when you're feeling full. Or take a carrot to sustain you on your trip :flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

How does leaving it in the shared kitchen equate to shoving it in your face. :huh:

Stop, just stop before you fully become that person. You're already dangerously close.
  • MrsH1987
    MrsH1987 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everytime I go in the staff room there are crisps/sweets/chocolates on the table. We only have one table so it is always right in front of me. I just don't eat it! If other people want to then fine but I don't want to
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

No one is stopping you from not eating the cake. Stop trying to pawn off your personal responsibility.
  • SpartanGrandma
    SpartanGrandma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse working the night shift. Nurses are notorious for eating junk 24/7. You have to bring in your own snacks to eat, bring in your own water and coffee if you need to, but avoid those snacks like they are the plague. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you eat them. I understand the temptation, it is there in my life too. But, I am a responsible adult able to make my own choices. After bringing in healthy snacks for months, some of the other nurses started to also! I'm not saying the cake went away, but there are other choices now.
  • wowgirl30
    wowgirl30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should try to have their actions empower you. Take the higher ground knowing it will bother them that you're ignoring their actions whether they are intentional or not. I will bet you that eventually ask you why you don't indulge in their "treats" and this will set you apart from the sheep. Good Luck!

Just to piggy back off of this idea, another way to do it:

1) Ignore the cake for several days in a row. Don't comment on it, just ignore it.
    2) Openly walk around with a bag of baby carrots and maybe some celery. Crunch on it really loudly and moan while you eat it. Say things like "Get inside my mouth you juicy carrot" while you're chewing on it. Make sure your coworkers take full notice of the power of vegetables and the euphoric feeling you get when that vegetabley goodness passes your lips. Brag about how clean your diet is, and how you can feel the toxins leaving your system.
    3) Next time you're in that hell-hole they call the cake room, don't do anything mean or rude to your coworkers but for example, as you walk by the cake, give it the finger and mouth the words "I ain't your b**ch you dirty piece of cake". This is going to empower you even more than those carrots, believe it or not.

Do this for a few weeks and I promise you, the next time they sit there eating their dirty, sugary, poisonous, toxic, (tasty chocolatey) cake they will be filled with hate. I mean, here you are enjoying seemingly INFINITE amounts of carrots and celery, impervious to the beckoning that is that dirty, dirty cake.

As the poster above mentions, this is really going to set you apart from those helpless, cake-eating sheep.

I'm starting to really want those carrots...

bXWwOHK.gif?1
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation with a few co-workers. They bring baked good, candies, etc and leave it on the table. When offered directly, I just tell them "no thanks" and keep it moving. Occasionally, I will have that little slice of cake for someone's bday or farewell. No big deal.

I think I've said no enough times that they don't even ask me anymore.

Willpower is a muscle, flex that bad boy!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

Just say no! It gets easier with practice... trust me:wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just give up. You will never lose weight.
  • musetle
    Options
    dude....self control. This is your weight loss journey, not anyone else's. It's not your co-workers responsibility to change their lives around so that you can meet your goals.
    If it's really bothering you, have a POLITE word with them, perhaps explain your goals and maybe they'll cut it down a bit. But throwing it away? Nope.
  • staplebug
    Options
    Whenever my husband and I bake and are left with the large amounts of tempting leftovers, I send them to work with him. So, I guess I am making you fat. And it doesn't bother me at all.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You should try to have their actions empower you. Take the higher ground knowing it will bother them that you're ignoring their actions whether they are intentional or not. I will bet you that eventually ask you why you don't indulge in their "treats" and this will set you apart from the sheep. Good Luck!

1) Ignore the cake for several days in a row. Don't comment on it, just ignore it.
    2) Openly walk around with a bag of baby carrots and maybe some celery. Crunch on it really loudly and moan while you eat it. Say things like "Get inside my mouth you juicy carrot" while you're chewing on it. Make sure your coworkers take full notice of the power of vegetables and the euphoric feeling you get when that vegetabley goodness passes your lips. Brag about how clean your diet is, and how you can feel the toxins leaving your system.
    3) Next time you're in that hell-hole they call the cake room, don't do anything mean or rude to your coworkers but for example, as you walk by the cake, give it the finger and mouth the words "I ain't your b**ch you dirty piece of cake". This is going to empower you even more than those carrots, believe it or not.

Do this for a few weeks and I promise you, the next time they sit there eating their dirty, sugary, poisonous, toxic, (tasty chocolatey) cake they will be filled with hate. I mean, here you are enjoying seemingly INFINITE amounts of carrots and celery, impervious to the beckoning that is that dirty, dirty cake.

As the poster above mentions, this is really going to set you apart from those helpless, cake-eating sheep.

Above is the winningestiest response! Close this thread! Everything else is moot; and frankly, doesn't need to be read!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    self control
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

"Get inside my mouth you juicy carrot." hahahaha.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You have to adapt to the world, not the other way around.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    to OP, like many others, it sounds like you have the issue, not your co-workers. unless they are actually shoving the cake and other things down your throat, literally.........you need to learn how to ignore that food, get your water, and walk away. throwing it away will make you the enemy of the office really quick. learn self control and that these temptations are a part of real life.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyday where I work, I just had a slice of pizza left over from a meeting.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bring a bigger bottle for water. Then you don't have to go into the kitchen as often. You are the one that is limiting yourself, not your coworkers. They aren't bringing the food just to sabotage your hard work. They are bringing it in to share with others. Deal with it and move on. If you can't control yourself, then you most likely have more food issues than you think.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

No one is stopping you from not eating the cake. Stop trying to pawn off your personal responsibility.

my experiences with food in the office are different. I recall the times I flat turned things down with a lot of peer pressure. I never minded the food being there but I did mind the peer pressure part.
This discussion has been closed.