I hate Deadlifts and Squats

Options

Replies

• markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Op. I believe you asked about balance and symmetry in your physique and if it was necessary to squat and deadlift to obtain this. In my opinion the short answer would be no. Given that you would have to due some type of progression weight training regimen to get hypertrophy, therefore you wouldn't have to do a traditional squat or deadlift but you would need to use different types of movements that recruit the same muscle groups. Volume and Intensity in your workout are both key when building. I use to train legs every six days I now train them every fourth with a little less intensity. This has helped me gain a lot more strength and my legs are able to take more. Its amazing how our bodies adapt to exercise and repetitiveness.

Keep doing those squats and maybe a little more often and you will find that you will be squatting with a lot more weight and reps. I would like to say it will be easier as well but that's not how it works if you want to build muscle.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to build a balanced physique and get stronger.

Then you don't need to do squats or deads. Do I think they are a very good idea though? Absolutely.

What underpins a decent programme - intensity, frequency, volume, good form and progressive overload. Exercise selection is largely secondary.

Pick some alternatives:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#anchor1945210
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html#anchor172012

And go with it.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is a bigger @$$ IRL than online? The MFP Community Guidelines (all hail) are a much stricter filter than what I personally use in real life. (I can even correct spelling and grammar there.)

I just don't understand the "keyboard warrior" comments that are thrown around here...(ironically, from keyboards).

I absolutely LOVE the avatar!!! So sad that "Bad" has finally "Broken"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glute bb raises
    reverse hammy curls/ghetto hammy curls
    walking lunges
    box jumps
    squat jumps
    burpees

All fabulous.

squats/deads are better- those to me are supporting exercises- but you can get a great deal accomplished with just those alone.

And yes- I would call someone a name to their face- I'm an *kitten* like that. I throw tantrums at my gym for people not putting weights away- and I'm seriously NOT the biggest roided out person in the world.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is a bigger @$$ IRL than online? The MFP Community Guidelines (all hail) are a much stricter filter than what I personally use in real life. (I can even correct spelling and grammar there.)

I just don't understand the "keyboard warrior" comments that are thrown around here...(ironically, from keyboards).
    I also have to wonder how many people are so sensitive in real life.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do whatever leg exercises your comfortable with. From a sheer stand-point of comparing exercises, there is no replacement exercise for the Squat or the Conventional (or even Sumo) Deadlift. You can always try to Front Squat but the Front Squat is just as challenging. The SLDL is not the same as a Conventional deadlift, more of an assistance exercise for improving your posterior chain.

Personally, I love deadlifting but I don't love squatting. I simply do squatting because I want to be stronger and better than I was yesterday and continue to get stronger. I love the fact that I can barely wear classic fit pants and that I have to buy dress slacks two sizes too big and have the waist tailored down just so my legs and butt fit.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I also have to wonder how many people are so sensitive in real life.

There is a difference between taking offense where offense is intended and being sensitive.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    If you want to take more time doing more isolated exercises to hit your legs, back, core, etc, you can. You'll spend a lot more time in the gym and it wont be the same as if you had done squats and deads. That being said, you can add plenty of size without ever squatting or deadlifting...

IMO, a big deadlift is more rewarding than a big bench. You'll probably agree when you pull big numbers.

My guess is you;ve tweaked your body and you know your lifting wrong. Check yo self son.. Fix your form and lift... Done be a sissy on account of your lack of will to finesse your technique. In the same vein, dont be hardheaded and ego lift numbers you cant handle.

When your legs can lift it but your core caves, thats too heavy... Every muscle involved needs to be able to stay rigid and maintain form or you're lifting too heavy. Maybe a couple reps arent great, but, overall your form should be stellar for at least 90% of your lifts.. That should be your aim. The guys who ego lift on squats plateau almost immediately and never get anywhere. I run circles around those kids.
  • JNick77
    Options
    If you want to take more time doing more isolated exercises to hit your legs, back, core, etc, you can. You'll spend a lot more time in the gym and it wont be the same as if you had done squats and deads. That being said, you can add plenty of size without ever squatting or deadlifting...

IMO, a big deadlift is more rewarding than a big bench. You'll probably agree when you pull big numbers.

My guess is you;ve tweaked your body and you know your lifting wrong. Check yo self son.. Fix your form and lift... Done be a sissy on account of your lack of will to finesse your technique.

I personally take pride on Squat and DL day when I'm working harder then all the other idiot guys in the gym doing stupid crap or half-assing it. Nothing like some fool walking up to you while you're doing your DL warm-up sets to work in with you and thinking he's being all bad-*kitten*, then finally get to your work sets and he goes, "oh, you're doing that; I'm out." LOL! PRICELESS! Some of stares you get while you're pulling big weight off the ground are great too.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate those lifts. I have a great degree of respect (almost a fear) for them because I know they are highly effective at making people strong. They're a challenge, but progress at them, and you'll be a monster.

At this point, I'm starting to get a little nervous when deadlift day comes. I'm going to be lifting something off the ground that weighs significantly more than I do for reps. It's going to wear me out. I'm probably going to make weird breathing noises, Arnold grunts, and possibly exhale like a horse after my last rep. Yes, I'm getting damn fearful of the deadlift as I've progressed in it. At what point does my spine just shoot out of my back, or when does my grip give, allowing the bar to fall on my legs somehow and break them in 6 places?

But as I look at the development I've had from challenging myself with the dreadlift, I can't help but love it to pieces.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    31338536.jpg
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate those lifts. I have a great degree of respect (almost a fear) for them because I know they are highly effective at making people strong. They're a challenge, but progress at them, and you'll be a monster.

At this point, I'm starting to get a little nervous when deadlift day comes. I'm going to be lifting something off the ground that weighs significantly more than I do for reps. It's going to wear me out. I'm probably going to make weird breathing noises, Arnold grunts, and possibly exhale like a horse after my last rep. Yes, I'm getting damn fearful of the deadlift as I've progressed in it. At what point does my spine just shoot out of my back, or when does my grip give, allowing the bar to fall on my legs somehow and break them in 6 places?

But as I look at the development I've had from challenging myself with the dreadlift, I can't help but love it to pieces.
    The old cliche is love what you fear. Just do it no what ifs or mindless worry. You know you could slip on a bar of soap in the shower too. I have two arthritic kness and a torn meniscus and I'm sure one day ill have a brand new set of titanium implants. So don't worry about something that my never happen. Good lifting form, lifting belt and a good mindset equals sucess.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm seriously NOT the biggest roided out person in the world.

So you're saying you are 'roided-out though? LOL! :wink: :love:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    May I suggest...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRsdE13y9oVNmkOzhl8HhFOKeQGSt7CU9C_pB4ijYBjq0XgOkn

Problem=Solved
  • JNick77
    Options
    The old cliche is love what you fear. Just do it no what ifs or mindless worry.

That is so true. I hurt my back really bad a few years ago and I still have to stand there and get my head on right before I do a heavy lift, definitely a large mental component.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options

The old cliche is love what you fear. Just do it no what ifs or mindless worry. You know you could slip on a bar of soap in the shower too. I have two arthritic kness and a torn meniscus and I'm sure one day ill have a brand new set of titanium implants. So don't worry about something that my never happen. Good lifting form, lifting belt and a good mindset equals sucess.

Well yeah, the spine explosion and leg breaking scenarios were a product of my worst imagination. I'm not really afraid of injury, I just respect the beast that is the deadlift.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options
    Don't do them.
    I absolutely hate deadlifts and never do them. They're the most overhyped lift possible.

And I think suggesting beginners to squat and deadlift without someone coaching them is horrible, they're going to snap the **** out of their back.

Look out for the bicep curls too. I've seen so many beginners get their arms or shoulders torn completely off. Sometimes I have nightmares about the sound it makes.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Don't do them.
    I absolutely hate deadlifts and never do them. They're the most overhyped lift possible.

And I think suggesting beginners to squat and deadlift without someone coaching them is horrible, they're going to snap the **** out of their back.

Look out for the bicep curls too. I've seen so many beginners get their arms or shoulders torn completely off. Sometimes I have nightmares about the sound it makes.

Ever seen a distal biceps tear from someone deadflifting without straight arms.... Now thats ugly. Whole bicep rolls up into a ball in your arm

long arms people, long arms
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options
    Don't do them.

Ever seen a distal biceps tear from someone deadflifting without straight arms.... Now thats ugly. Whole bicep rolls up into a ball in your arm

All joking aside...

I haven't. I sure hope I don't have to, because that sounds absolutely horrifyingly terrible. I will take the long arms tip to heart.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Don't do them.

Or double over hand or hook