I hate Deadlifts and Squats

Options
12346»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    (squats + deadlifts)>bench

I cannot see for the life of me how a bench PR can be more rewarding than the former 2 exercises. One day when you pick something up off the ground really heavy or get out of the hole from a deep squat that is trying to crush you you may change your mindset on that one.

I believe the question has been answered in that you don't HAVE to do them but if you want to replace them you will need to add a fair few exercises to hit all the same muscle groups.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I started weight training, I knew that the Big 3 compound lifts were important, and my trainer ensured that I did them. When I returned to the States and was not under the supervision of a trainer, I dropped deadlifts completely and moved from weighted squats to body weight squats. I justified this to myself by citing the potential for injury, but didn't really find suitable replacements.

I've since added them back into my routine (albeit for only the past week), but have not grown to love them any more than before. As weight lifting is about progression, I don't see these exercises getting any easier - and I'm going relatively light right now until I'm confident that I didn't lose my form.

Are there suitable alternatives? Will they get easier? Are they really that critical? I look forward to your input.

If it were easy then everyone would be doing it

I despise squats but I do them. You know why? Because I know I need to. A piece of iron isn't going to punk me out.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I cannot see for the life of me how a bench PR can be more rewarding than the former 2 exercises.

Say and believe what you will but a PR bench press is pretty gol-damn satisfying.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I cannot see for the life of me how a bench PR can be more rewarding than the former 2 exercises.

Say and believe what you will but a PR bench press is pretty gol-damn satisfying.

I prefer to move the biggest weights possible and that is done by my legs not my arms :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I love a PR bench (barely remember the last time though :laugh:) but it is comparatively much lighter.

I'm a powerlifter who hates the bench press. Weird I know.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    :wink: I was just givin ya a hassle...I totally understand. But right now I am kinda upside down in my SL program. I pushing new PR everytime I bench but my squats and deads have not gotten to that point yet. I know it cant continue much longer and I will have to deload and eventually move to 3x5 or even 1x5 on BP while I have LOTS of room to grow in both squats and deads.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    i think what you gotta remember is that one of the major "rewards" for lifting is you look good. then think about how you look at yourself. I mean, literally, how do you look at yourself? In the mirror. Basically, skipping leg day happens because leg day doesn't do much you can see from that angle. But isn't that selfish? everyone else has to see all the other angles of you. The ones improved by squats and deads.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    squats deadlifts bench military press- all compound movements that will get you the best results.

if you dont want to do squats and deadlifts, nobody is forcing you too.
    you can always do squats using a machine-- you wont be working the stabilizer muscles the same way- you wont be getting the benefits of a compound lift-- but you will be working quads/glutes.
    you could also do lunges.

personally, i cant imagine not doing squats and deadlifts. I dont like squats but i suck it up and do them. And deadlifts---- well, once you are done doing them, the feeling is AMAZING!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You won't hate them once you start seeing 400lb + on your DL or 300+ on your squat. This is a promise.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    you can always do squats using a machine-- you wont be working the stabilizer muscles the same way- you wont be getting the benefits of a compound lift-- but you will be working quads/glutes.
    Just an fyi...there is no such thing as stabilizer muscles.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I prefer to move the biggest weights possible and that is done by my legs not my arms :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I love a PR bench (barely remember the last time though :laugh:) but it is comparatively much lighter.

I'm a powerlifter who hates the bench press. Weird I know.

A good squat and dead will win you meets more than a good bench will. I get where you are coming from.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Squats and DLs take so much out of you that I understand why people don't like doing them. Still as others have said, it's not a coincidence that they are so tough; you're using you entire body in those lifts and that's why there's no substitute.

I dread squat days as much as anyone I'm sure, but the feeling you get after completing it is awesome.

Also, once you start adding real weight on there, you get a nice sense of pride in being able to lift all that weight.
    Not too many people at my gym do full squats and deadlifts, so you can see that people are watching when you've got a 400lb load on a bar and that to me is really motivating.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think it should be remembered that some people have terrible biomechanics for lever movements like squats. Yes, squats are tough and you have to persevere with them but if you are constantly fighting your body the likelihood is that you will end up stopping completely especially if are a beginner.

The only people who really need to do squats or deads are competitive power lifters. Everyone else can consider other options or even eventually transition into them after getting some confidence with similar movements under their belt.

Obviously if you are comfortable right off the bat doing them - top banana. Otherwise there is no shame in considering other avenues.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi...there is no such thing as stabilizer muscles.

technically speaking, no but im talking about the muscles whose function is to assist in stabilization. haha
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My knees are crap from being heavy (as in they click when i squat or walk up stairs) so I just do goblet squats. The squat rack is always busy anyways with guys taking 10 minutes between sets so it's a win win.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The only people who really need to do squats or deads are competitive power lifters.

And athletes actually. There is considerable relationship between improvement in the squat and improvement in things like vertical jump and speed.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    A proper squat also the exercise that will give you the most quality of life improvement.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The only people who really need to do squats or deads are competitive power lifters.

And athletes actually. There is considerable relationship between improvement in the squat and improvement in things like vertical jump and speed.

Fair point.