Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at every 'welcome to the internet' response. *****es, I grew up with the internet. Its changed, and has become an integral part of peoples lives now - as such, normal social guidelines need to start being acknowledged. This is the only board I frequent that still has members saying 'errr its the internet' as an excuse for being a jerk.

Maybe as a general rule of thumb... If you wouldn't say it irl, then its probably mean.

Go look for the "nice" on Twitter then where there are no rules, no language filters, no guidelines or moderators. I'm sure all those people are conforming to your normal social guidelines.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Supporting is not telling people what they want to here, but telling people what they need to hear...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oh, look, another "people are mean" thread.

Let's see.... a calorie deficit is required to lose weight. A deficit is negative. Thereby explaining all of the negativity.

38480341.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at every 'welcome to the internet' response. *****es, I grew up with the internet. Its changed, and has become an integral part of peoples lives now - as such, normal social guidelines need to start being acknowledged. This is the only board I frequent that still has members saying 'errr its the internet' as an excuse for being a jerk.

Maybe as a general rule of thumb... If you wouldn't say it irl, then its probably mean.

you missed the growing up part.

Pro tip - us "Old Folks" (some of us have actually been on the internet since the 80's - you know, before they added pictures for the kids) actually speak online EXACTLY the way we would in person. Some of us hold back online. You're welcome.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly, OP, threads like this seem much more negative and divisive than the average paleo/sugar/vegan/etc. thread. Like others have said, debate can be healthy. Blind support isn't really support at all. Some people respond better to tough love. And so on.

If you post a thread and you get 20 positive responses and 3 that you deem negative (I suspect our definitions of negative are very very different, but I digress), and you choose to focus on those "negative" posts, and then you go off to start a new thread to rant about all the negativity, then you are taking one small negative thing and magnifying it into a lot more negativity. Instead, why not focus on the responses that were helpful to you?

To me the gifs, snark, and sarcasm make things interesting and fun. I don't respond well to sugar-coating, and if that's all there was in this community I'd be very unhappy here. For you maybe the opposite is true. There's nothing wrong with that (except that my way is right. :wink: ) On the internet, just like in life, you have to take what helps you and ignore the rest.

TL;DR: don't be this chick:

addams_zpsb8f8af61.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

So what you're saying is that even though the people who have been on the internet since before the "normal" people have their own culture, methods of communicating, and understood rules/etiquette, they should change all of that because the new people coming in don't like it? That seems like the opposite of what should happen to me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support?

No
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The people that really reached inside themselves and learned how to get fit and healthy often write posts thanking the "mean" people that they encountered when they were new to the forums. These people had the ability to "look at the big picture", swallow some pride and read.

Then, they started to see more positive information, make friends, join groups (which are generally super positive), and "craft" their experience here. As this went on... the negative people were ignored, or in some cases were appreciated for their cutting edge, humor, and wit.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There will always be negativity, just like in RL. This place is no different than any other forum. I try to read posts without giving it a personality. They are just words. Take the advice you feel will help you and leave the rest behind. You can also put people on ignore and you won't have to see it all.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honestly, OP, threads like this seem much more negative and divisive than the average paleo/sugar/vegan/etc. thread. Like others have said, debate can be healthy. Blind support isn't really support at all. Some people respond better to tough love. And so on.

If you post a thread and you get 20 positive responses and 3 that you deem negative (I suspect our definitions of negative are very very different, but I digress), and you choose to focus on those "negative" posts, and then you go off to start a new thread to rant about all the negativity, then you are taking one small negative thing and magnifying it into a lot more negativity. Instead, why not focus on the responses that were helpful to you?

To me the gifs, snark, and sarcasm make things interesting and fun. I don't respond well to sugar-coating, and if that's all there was in this community I'd be very unhappy here. For you maybe the opposite is true. There's nothing wrong with that (except that my way is right. :wink: ) On the internet, just like in life, you have to take what helps you and ignore the rest.

TL;DR: don't be this chick:

addams_zpsb8f8af61.gif

:flowerforyou: :drinker: I may have to send you a friend request because of that...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    WE'RE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON!!!!!!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Fat and angry, duh.

And don't forget hungry
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

you missed the growing up part.

Pro tip - us "Old Folks" (some of us have actually been on the internet since the 80's - you know, before they added pictures for the kids) actually speak online EXACTLY the way we would in person. Some of us hold back online. You're welcome.

telixscreen.gif

1337 haxxors n ur bbs stealing all ur internetz.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Fat and angry, duh.

And don't forget hungry

And this isn't negative right?
  • autihill
    autihill Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    they HANGRY

^Can I get an AMEN? LOL :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Fat and angry, duh.

And don't forget hungry

And this isn't negative right?
    It's not the least bit nasty or insulting.
  • randomtai
    Options

FAIL...
    1306235605_men_in_black_putting_on_glasses_fail.gif
  • randomtai
    Options
    they HANGRY

^Can I get an AMEN? LOL :laugh:

And you bring such a ray of positivity to the thread... right? :flowerforyou:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Les MFPerables

There was a time when posters were kind
    When their tone was soft
    And their words encouraging
    There was a time when cardio was fine
    And MFP was a song
    And MFP friends were inviting
    Then it all…went…wrong

I dreamed a dream in bandwidth gone by