Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Am I the only who notices that the people who start these "everyone is so negative" threads have never spent any of their own time and effort providing people with helpful or useful information?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Am I the only who notices that the people who start these "everyone is so negative" threads have never spent any of their own time and effort providing people with helpful or useful information?

Cry_and_clap.gif
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and I've only been looking through these forums for the past week; however, I agree with SarahMakePretty to an extent. From my experience, there is more of a general "rude" undertone here than other weight-loss/health forums I have come across. Whilst I am not saying that everyone here is rude (in fact there are lots of people who are encouraging and helpful here), I feel that the snarkiness comes through much more in MFP than other forums (e.g., 3FC).

Whilst it is not helpful or right to commend someone on habits that are not necessarily healthy, such as eating below 1000 calories, there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and making flat out judgements based on a paragraph of text. For example, to call out on someone that they're an attention seeker when they're ranting that they've binged on 3 spoons of icecream is not being "honest" or "blunt" - it's rude. If they consider that to be a binge, don't demean them for it because their definition of binging is different from yours. (FYI, I don't consider that binging but I digress.)

A part of being a supportive community is not only to offer (sound) advice, but also to show empathy and tolerance. Certainly people are entitled to their own beliefs and to disagree with others, but again there's a fine line between having a reasonable discussion and dismissing someone's POV. Also, everyone here is at different stages in their weight-loss/health journey - in terms of motivation, determination, support, etc. - and it's worth being mindful of that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

SarahMakePretty, it may be worth being involved in other forums if you find MFP to be too negative. Ignoring helps too. :)

SOLID Second Post.

May I ask why you are here? Just to flame-throw, or ______________________________________(fill in blank, please)
  • Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Its honestly just because some people really just dont have anything better to do ... Lol .. Like why would they waste there time just to post something negative/stupid . Just to try to be funny lol becausethere bored with nothing to do
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, look, another "people are mean" thread.

Let's see.... a calorie deficit is required to lose weight. A deficit is negative. Thereby explaining all of the negativity.
  • hailbloodymary
    Options
    I'm new here and I've only been looking through these forums for the past week; however, I agree with SarahMakePretty to an extent. From my experience, there is more of a general "rude" undertone here than other weight-loss/health forums I have come across. Whilst I am not saying that everyone here is rude (in fact there are lots of people who are encouraging and helpful here), I feel that the snarkiness comes through much more in MFP than other forums (e.g., 3FC).

Whilst it is not helpful or right to commend someone on habits that are not necessarily healthy, such as eating below 1000 calories, there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and making flat out judgements based on a paragraph of text. For example, to call out on someone that they're an attention seeker when they're ranting that they've binged on 3 spoons of icecream is not being "honest" or "blunt" - it's rude. If they consider that to be a binge, don't demean them for it because their definition of binging is different from yours. (FYI, I don't consider that binging but I digress.)

A part of being a supportive community is not only to offer (sound) advice, but also to show empathy and tolerance. Certainly people are entitled to their own beliefs and to disagree with others, but again there's a fine line between having a reasonable discussion and dismissing someone's POV. Also, everyone here is at different stages in their weight-loss/health journey - in terms of motivation, determination, support, etc. - and it's worth being mindful of that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

SarahMakePretty, it may be worth being involved in other forums if you find MFP to be too negative. Ignoring helps too. :)

SOLID Second Post.

May I ask why you are here? Just to flame-throw, or ______________________________________(fill in blank, please)

Haha, I'm not here to cause trouble; as mentioned in my previous post, I'm just adding my two cents. :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It's often just a matter of perspective.
    There's a lot of good information here, and there are a lot of successful people to learn from. There's also a lot of really helpful advice on the forums, but it isn't always wrapped up with a pretty bow.

All in all, MFP is just like real life. There will always be the occasional a-hole, but most people are just doing their best. You'll get out of it what you want to get out of it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

None of them EVER do.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Define negativity.

To some, having something honestly explained to them, which differs from their own ideas, is negative.
    To some, if you don't agree 100% with their assessment, it's negative.
    To some, if you continue to post the same, "Why isn't this working?" posts, but don't want to hear actual useful advice, it's negative.
    To some, a thigh gap, is negative.
    To some, having a little fun and not taking this whole diet and exercise thing as serious as they make it out to be, is negative.
    To some, Christmas, is negative. (As are all holidays, social gatherings, family gatherings, co-workers bringing in cupcakes and brownies, being invited to a restaurant to lunch, buffets, fast food in general, and life in general.)

Basically, one person's definition of the word negative doesn't exactly define the word for everyone. That's just the way it is. It all boils down to perspective.

PS:

BBT+oh+frickity+frack+not+this+again.gif
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest hanging out in the forums for lets say the next couple years, offer advice in atleast 5-10 threads a day and come back afterward and lets see if your feelings have changed any... :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    Options

SOLID Second Post.

Haha, I'm not here to cause trouble; as mentioned in my previous post, I'm just adding my two cents. :)

Well, I hope you enjoy your stay, but I would suggest spending a little time in the forums before you make wide generalizations about people.

This is by FAR the tamest forum in which I've participated. Ignorance of basic fitness and weight loss is challenged often and diligently by a lot of really smart people.

Or, people get mad and hide out and refuse to accept help.

That always works well. (Not talking about you, just these threads in general.
  • wheird
    Options

Most of the people who are considered "rude" on here are regular members that are on here everyday. I fully admit that I am snarky and rude sometimes. But it is always in response to something asinine. Us "rude" people are also the ones that spend our time reading nutrition articles and research papers, then applying them by sharing them with less informed people on the forums. We are also the ones in the gym getting stronger and fitter.

So for those that think there is so much negativity around here, have you ever helped anyone on here? Have you taken the time to run TDEE calcs for another person and answer their nutrition questions in private? No? I bet most of the rude people have.
  • wheird
    Options
    Might I suggest hanging out in the forums for lets say the next couple years, offer advice in atleast 5-10 threads a day and come back afterward and lets see if your feelings have changed any... :flowerforyou:

*fist bump*
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Eh get use to it sadly this is the internet ignore those people. They just want attention. If you don't give it to them they will move along. The internet is full of *kitten* hats that want to put in their two cents in.

Russel+Brand+I+don't+care+gif.gif
  • hailbloodymary
    Options
    Well, I hope you enjoy your stay, but I would suggest spending a little time in the forums before you make wide generalizations about people.

This is by FAR the tamest forum in which I've participated. Ignorance of basic fitness and weight loss is challenged often and diligently by a lot of really smart people.

Or, people get mad and hide out and refuse to accept help.

That always works well. (Not talking about you, just these threads in general.

Thank you for the welcome, and I'm sorry that you feel that I was making wide generalisations about people on here; on the contrary, I was merely stating my impressions of what I have seen and witnessed and compared it with other forums that I've been involved with. Again, I'm not saying everyone here is rude and snarky, but from what I've seen so far there is more of a sense of negativity here than elsewhere. Again, this is my opinion. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that your experience with the MFP has been a positive one.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Eh get use to it sadly this is the internet ignore those people. They just want attention. If you don't give it to them they will move along. The internet is full of *kitten* hats that want to put in their two cents in.
    Wow, that's pretty negative. Carry on.:happy:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Define negativity.

To some, having something honestly explained to them, which differs from their own ideas, is negative.
    To some, if you don't agree 100% with their assessment, it's negative.
    To some, if you continue to post the same, "Why isn't this working?" posts, but don't want to hear actual useful advice, it's negative.
    To some, a thigh gap, is negative.
    To some, having a little fun and not taking this whole diet and exercise thing as serious as they make it out to be, is negative.
    To some, Christmas, is negative. (As are all holidays, social gatherings, family gatherings, co-workers bringing in cupcakes and brownies, being invited to a restaurant to lunch, buffets, fast food in general, and life in general.)

Basically, one person's definition of the word negative doesn't exactly define the word for everyone. That's just the way it is. It all boils down to perspective.

All is Perception, All Is Vanity

All_is_vanity_1.jpg
  • hailbloodymary
    Options

Most of the people who are considered "rude" on here are regular members that are on here everyday. I fully admit that I am snarky and rude sometimes. But it is always in response to something asinine. Us "rude" people are also the ones that spend our time reading nutrition articles and research papers, then applying them by sharing them with less informed people on the forums. We are also the ones in the gym getting stronger and fitter.

So for those that think there is so much negativity around here, have you ever helped anyone on here? Have you taken the time to run TDEE calcs for another person and answer their nutrition questions in private? No? I bet most of the rude people have.

To answer your question: I've only been here for less than a week, so no. I'm still at the very early stages of my journey, so I don't consider myself well-equipped to give others advice just yet.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

WHERE ARE MY POSITIVE PEOPLE AT?!

I agree
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    because they r horny and need some sex in their life. :)

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Which is it?

P.S. I am currently accepting friend requests :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.