Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and I've only been looking through these forums for the past week; however, I agree with SarahMakePretty to an extent. From my experience, there is more of a general "rude" undertone here than other weight-loss/health forums I have come across. Whilst I am not saying that everyone here is rude (in fact there are lots of people who are encouraging and helpful here), I feel that the snarkiness comes through much more in MFP than other forums (e.g., 3FC).

Whilst it is not helpful or right to commend someone on habits that are not necessarily healthy, such as eating below 1000 calories, there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and making flat out judgements based on a paragraph of text. For example, to call out on someone that they're an attention seeker when they're ranting that they've binged on 3 spoons of icecream is not being "honest" or "blunt" - it's rude. If they consider that to be a binge, don't demean them for it because their definition of binging is different from yours. (FYI, I don't consider that binging but I digress.)

A part of being a supportive community is not only to offer (sound) advice, but also to show empathy and tolerance. Certainly people are entitled to their own beliefs and to disagree with others, but again there's a fine line between having a reasonable discussion and dismissing someone's POV. Also, everyone here is at different stages in their weight-loss/health journey - in terms of motivation, determination, support, etc. - and it's worth being mindful of that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

SarahMakePretty, it may be worth being involved in other forums if you find MFP to be too negative. Ignoring helps too. :)

Most of the people who are considered "rude" on here are regular members that are on here everyday. I fully admit that I am snarky and rude sometimes. But it is always in response to something asinine. Us "rude" people are also the ones that spend our time reading nutrition articles and research papers, then applying them by sharing them with less informed people on the forums. We are also the ones in the gym getting stronger and fitter.

So for those that think there is so much negativity around here, have you ever helped anyone on here? Have you taken the time to run TDEE calcs for another person and answer their nutrition questions in private? No? I bet most of the rude people have.

To answer your question: I've only been here for less than a week, so no. I'm still at the very early stages of my journey, so I don't consider myself well-equipped to give others advice just yet.

You also stated that you have been a part of other health/fitness forums. Was that part incorrect?
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My experience on forums has been that when I see negativity in others, I am often mistaken and am merely reading my own feelings into someone else. SOmetimes, I have resisted answering, waited a day or two, and reread the post. Almost every single time, I see things differently. Then, I feel ready to answer.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think the problem stems from too much pseudoscience, and a lot of people trying to push said pseudoscience as fact onto others as well as people who seriously believe this stuff and dont take time to do some research and educate themselves.

And like anything on the internet, theres always an *kitten* or two waiting to post.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My experience on forums has been that when I see negativity in others, I am often mistaken and am merely reading my own feelings into someone else. SOmetimes, I have resisted answering, waited a day or two, and reread the post. Almost every single time, I see things differently. Then, I feel ready to answer.

thats true
  • meeper123
    Options
    Define negativity.

To some, having something honestly explained to them, which differs from their own ideas, is negative.
    To some, if you don't agree 100% with their assessment, it's negative.
    To some, if you continue to post the same, "Why isn't this working?" posts, but don't want to hear actual useful advice, it's negative.
    To some, a thigh gap, is negative.
    To some, having a little fun and not taking this whole diet and exercise thing as serious as they make it out to be, is negative.
    To some, Christmas, is negative. (As are all holidays, social gatherings, family gatherings, co-workers bringing in cupcakes and brownies, being invited to a restaurant to lunch, buffets, fast food in general, and life in general.)

Basically, one person's definition of the word negative doesn't exactly define the word for everyone. That's just the way it is. It all boils down to perspective.

All is Perception, All Is Vanity

All_is_vanity_1.jpg

okay that picture is awesome!
  • hailbloodymary
    Options
    I'm new here and I've only been looking through these forums for the past week; however, I agree with SarahMakePretty to an extent. From my experience, there is more of a general "rude" undertone here than other weight-loss/health forums I have come across. Whilst I am not saying that everyone here is rude (in fact there are lots of people who are encouraging and helpful here), I feel that the snarkiness comes through much more in MFP than other forums (e.g., 3FC).

Whilst it is not helpful or right to commend someone on habits that are not necessarily healthy, such as eating below 1000 calories, there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and making flat out judgements based on a paragraph of text. For example, to call out on someone that they're an attention seeker when they're ranting that they've binged on 3 spoons of icecream is not being "honest" or "blunt" - it's rude. If they consider that to be a binge, don't demean them for it because their definition of binging is different from yours. (FYI, I don't consider that binging but I digress.)

A part of being a supportive community is not only to offer (sound) advice, but also to show empathy and tolerance. Certainly people are entitled to their own beliefs and to disagree with others, but again there's a fine line between having a reasonable discussion and dismissing someone's POV. Also, everyone here is at different stages in their weight-loss/health journey - in terms of motivation, determination, support, etc. - and it's worth being mindful of that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

SarahMakePretty, it may be worth being involved in other forums if you find MFP to be too negative. Ignoring helps too. :)

Most of the people who are considered "rude" on here are regular members that are on here everyday. I fully admit that I am snarky and rude sometimes. But it is always in response to something asinine. Us "rude" people are also the ones that spend our time reading nutrition articles and research papers, then applying them by sharing them with less informed people on the forums. We are also the ones in the gym getting stronger and fitter.

So for those that think there is so much negativity around here, have you ever helped anyone on here? Have you taken the time to run TDEE calcs for another person and answer their nutrition questions in private? No? I bet most of the rude people have.

To answer your question: I've only been here for less than a week, so no. I'm still at the very early stages of my journey, so I don't consider myself well-equipped to give others advice just yet.

You also stated that you have been a part of other health/fitness forums. Was that part incorrect?

I understand and respect where you are coming from. No it's not incorrect; I did say that. However, the point is that I've only just started on my weight-loss journey, where this time differs from others in that I've not resorted to "fad diets" and the like. Currently I don't consider myself knowledgeable (nor is it wise) to offer people advice given my current state of health.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Am I the only who notices that the people who start these "everyone is so negative" threads have never spent any of their own time and effort providing people with helpful or useful information?

^this
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    because they r horny and need some sex in their life. :)

You know what this is the answer...right here hit the ol' nail on the head.

If I was getting the bajoinga all the time would I be on MFP all the time? H_LL to the Mother f'en No I'd be doing the vertical mambo.

You are truly wise.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

All_is_vanity_1.jpg

thats a deliciously fabulous picture
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I understand and respect where you are coming from. No it's not incorrect; I did say that. However, the point is that I've only just started on my weight-loss journey, where this time differs from others in that I've not resorted to "fad diets" and the like. Currently I don't consider myself knowledgeable (nor is it wise) to offer people advice given my current state of health.

Your state of health is largely irrelevent. To me, at least. You do not have to live a lifestyle in order to understand it or share information regarding it. Many of the people giving advice on here are in transition.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Les MFPerables

There was a time when posters were kind
    When their tone was soft
    And their words encouraging
    There was a time when cardio was fine
    And MFP was a song
    And MFP friends were inviting
    Then it all…went…wrong

I dreamed a dream in bandwidth gone by
    When motivation was high
    And logging on worth doing
    I dreamed the MFP site would never die
    I dreamed the Mods would be forgiving
    Then I was a noob and unafraid
    And strikes were made and used and wasted
    There was no reason to be made

No post untrolled
    No joke unwasted
    But the bullies come at night
    With their mean words soft as thunder
    As they tear your hope apart
    And turn your gurney to shame
    MFP filled my days with endless distraction
    It took my productivity in real life
    But it was gone when I deactivate
    And still I dream I’ll recreate
    That we’ll live our days online
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are threads we cannot weather
    I had a dream my MFP experience would be
    So different from this hell I’m logging
    So different now from what it seemed
    Now your thread has killed
    The dream I dreamed

Stop it, you brilliant *kitten*!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Person 1: "Waahhh... why do ppl have to be *kitten*?"

Person A: "GRRRR... if you had to deal with dumb, you'd be an *kitten* too"

Person 2: "suck it up buttercup"

Person b: "it's not mean, it's honest"

Meanwhile, every single one of these types is being a sensitive sally. :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You mean, not to "offer people advice on nutrition or weight loss", right? But you obviously have no qualms about giving advice on how people should interact in the forums, right?
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sometimes 'mean' is as nice as some of us can be when someone needs either solicited or unsolicited guidance. It's the internet...if I feel someone is doing or saying something idiotic I do not feel the same obligation to sugar coat it that I would in person. Grow a thicker skin or don't post. Simple.
  • hailbloodymary
    Options

Your state of health is largely irrelevent. To me, at least. You do not have to live a lifestyle in order to understand it or share information regarding it. Many of the people giving advice on here are in transition.

Well, I'm glad to hear that Reality_Is_Harsh; however, I'm not really one to offer advice over things I don't have a real grasp on just yet. Anyway, I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. Back to the topic, my original post was merely my impression of what I've observed. Of course this will differ to your experience and many other people's, and that's fine. Each to their own. :)
  • hailbloodymary
    Options

You mean, not to "offer people advice on nutrition or weight loss", right? But you obviously have no qualms about giving advice on how people should interact in the forums, right?

Yes, they're two different areas. I don't consider it advice, but rather options.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Les MFPerables

There was a time when posters were kind
    When their tone was soft
    And their words encouraging
    There was a time when cardio was fine
    And MFP was a song
    And MFP friends were inviting
    Then it all…went…wrong

I dreamed a dream in bandwidth gone by
    When motivation was high
    And logging on worth doing
    I dreamed the MFP site would never die
    I dreamed the Mods would be forgiving
    Then I was a noob and unafraid
    And strikes were made and used and wasted
    There was no reason to be made

No post untrolled
    No joke unwasted
    But the bullies come at night
    With their mean words soft as thunder
    As they tear your hope apart
    And turn your gurney to shame
    MFP filled my days with endless distraction
    It took my productivity in real life
    But it was gone when I deactivate
    And still I dream I’ll recreate
    That we’ll live our days online
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are threads we cannot weather
    I had a dream my MFP experience would be
    So different from this hell I’m logging
    So different now from what it seemed
    Now your thread has killed
    The dream I dreamed

Stop it, you brilliant *kitten*!

omg that is too funny!!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    negative post is negative.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

All_is_vanity_1.jpg

thats a deliciously fabulous picture

So Imma highjack this puppy.

I worked at TGI Fridays for a whole lotta years. Upstairs in the above-the-bar party area, this picture was on the wall near the Point of Sale machines. I must have looked at it eleventy seven million times. I always liked it. Was glad I found it online.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The last time we went to TGI Friday's was over 13 years ago. My wife's drink had broken glass in it. We brought it to the attention of our waitress and she was all "so, what? Do you want another one or something?"
    "Yes. Please."

When we got the bill they had charged us for the drink she sent back. The one with the broken glass in it. I took it up with the manager who was RUDE AND A BULLY (see, relevant to this thread). After some harsh words during which I stood up and told him he was ridiculous he finally removed the broken glass drink from our bill.

I did NOT tip that waitress. Because NEGATIVITY!!!!
This discussion has been closed.