Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Because people can be stupid, and sometimes they need to be told that they are being stupid. Are we done with this now?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Why is there so much negativity? Every one here is deprived of Sugar, Calories, or Sex. I think that pretty much explains it.

Speak for yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Well being new here, having foolishly dared to comment on another post and getting myself a new one ripped (learnt something though, that the NHS in the UK are teaching people incorrectly mainly) i'm going to dare to comment again. I'm happy with the most recent new one that was ripped though, no need to replace it just yet.

To the Op and all others saying that the nasty comments are unsupportive and people could at least sugarcoat things.

Sugarcoating is fattening. They are being nice by saving you those calories.

In to find out what the NHS is teaching us UK folks that is wrong.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Don't worry... in a month or two you will be face palming yourself just like I did for posting a thread like this. Some are rude and sarcasm is just the personality they have but I agree that a lot is taken out of context. Some are trying to give what they feel is good advice and just come off as rude when they are actually just being straight to the point and not sugar coating everything. Then some people just like a good debate or to see you get your feathers ruffled... these are trolls and my advice... dont feed the trolls! :drinker:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Why is there so much negativity? Every one here is deprived of Sugar, Calories, or Sex. I think that pretty much explains it.

you lie. you have lost 44 lbs its scientifically impossible for you to not be in a caloric deficit. Why cant you just be honest?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

you lie. you have lost 44 lbs its scientifically impossible for you to not be in a caloric deficit. Why cant you just be honest?

:laugh: I've been in maintenance for a year. But I'm still a big mean meanie.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

It's true, she is.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

WHERE ARE MY POSITIVE PEOPLE AT?!

Well, TBH TDEE IS for everyone. Assuming they're doing it properly. By the very essence of what TDEE actually IS.

The reason for the success of the MFP system in how it differs from TDEE is because of the essence of accountability it holds you to. However, generally speaking, only people first starting out NEED that sense of accountability to keep them going. Eventually it does become habit, at which point its differences as opposed to the TDEE based system erode away.

Anyway, the reason you see a lot of negativity on here (and you will see it's primarily site veterans who have met their goals being negative and ripping people apart) is because new users refuse to use the search feature or read the sticky posts that will answer 99% of their questions and get them started on the right path. Instead, they post the same questions we've seen a million times before, from people who are doomed to fail because they're following a system that's based on a myth that was debunked/perpetuated long ago. The people on this site are VERY anti-myth. If there was a legitimate scientific study done, at some point, that basically illustrates why what it is you want to do doesn't work, or why it's dangerous, and you still insist on doing it regardless of being enlightened about that, then guess what? You're on your own. And you're made to feel not welcome here. It sounds cruel, and it sounds wrong, but the fact is you're coming here for advice, and the people with the tickers that say they have 100+ lbs lost and profile pics showing six packs are the ones you came here for. You don't have to regard what they say as law, but when they talk, you should listen. And when you choose to fall back on some myth that's been debunked, or ask about some "magic pill," or take the word of someone who very clearly still has a LONG way to go over theirs, you're doing yourself a disservice and wasting the time of everybody here.

tl;dr: read the site stickiesforum FAQs, accept that they were written by people knowledgeable enough (through actual real world experience, backed by studies) to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing (90% of the time--there ARE always exceptions), have an open mind, and you won't come across in a way that invites negativity.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    This is the internet... filled with a bunch of cowardly *kitten* who have all the confidence to be rude to someone behind the comfort of a computer. Get them in person, though, and most of the time they'll keep quiet. Just ignore them.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Oh Good I like meanies!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is the internet... filled with a bunch of cowardly *kitten* who have all the confidence to be rude to someone behind the comfort of a computer. Get them in person, though, and most of the time they'll keep quiet. Just ignore them.
    I have a kettle I'd like to introduce you to.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Aww yes Richardo....100% agree.

Another interesting thing that happens on the internet...People go onto the internet...Call people out for being "mean" on the internet...Throw insults (e.g. Cowardly *kitten*) at said people on the internet that are worse than anything that was actually being said...Proceed on the internet to say people that do that on the internet would never do that in real life....And then fail to see the irony of it...in real life or on the internet
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't been in since page 2...don't think she's reading anymore, but hey, gifs.

777.gif
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132675-critique-my-food-diary?page=1#posts-17589666

Oh, and that right there is how you "help" someone without being a douche.

In your opinion, how did spookiefox do in refuting the bogus information posted in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1117560-too-much-sugar ? Was it appropriately kind or was it, to use your phrase, "being a douche"?

If you are referring to her responding to my comment about how the body does know the difference between a candy bar and an apple in terms of how it nourishes the body (I'll admit I did not include the 'nourishment' caveat) there was absolutely nothing wrong with their post. That is how dialogue should go. Now, further down in the thread, another MFPer refuted spookiefox's assertion.

I'll also grant that "douchebaggery" is highly subjective, but I think we all know a jerk when we see one! :smile:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132675-critique-my-food-diary?page=1#posts-17589666

Oh, and that right there is how you "help" someone without being a douche.

Personal attacks are against the CGs.

I wasn't attacking anyone personally. ETA: If you're offended by that, you might need to assess why that is?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'll also grant that "douchebaggery" is highly subjective, but I think we all know a jerk when we see one!

Considering how many people point to perfectly reasonable posts and call them douchey (or something similar), I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
  • valandario
    valandario Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well being new here, having foolishly dared to comment on another post and getting myself a new one ripped (learnt something though, that the NHS in the UK are teaching people incorrectly mainly) i'm going to dare to comment again. I'm happy with the most recent new one that was ripped though, no need to replace it just yet.

To the Op and all others saying that the nasty comments are unsupportive and people could at least sugarcoat things.

Sugarcoating is fattening. They are being nice by saving you those calories.

In to find out what the NHS is teaching us UK folks that is wrong.

Did a course with them on food and eating related stuff. To summarise, without the finer details, they teach to have 3 main meals with occasional snacks. The main meal (breakfast) to start the metabolism going, then a midmorning snack to keep it going until lunch, etc. They say that this helps to lose weight or maintain it (Obviously based on the calories of the snacks and so on). Had a new one ripped by foolishly believing those teachings and sharing it on another thread where I thought it might be helpful to the OP. Live and learn. lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'll also grant that "douchebaggery" is highly subjective, but I think we all know a jerk when we see one!

Considering how many people point to perfectly reasonable posts and call them douchey (or something similar), I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Reported.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with you to a certain point.

I think most of the time people have the best of intentions, like when they see someone is eating under 1000 calories a day that worries them, and the advice just comes out the wrong way. Some have intentions to be that way, but the majority of them do not. Please don't let negative things keep you away or discouraged by the site. For the majority of MFPers they really are just wanting to help!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I don't find myself that rude, just maybe more of a smartass. However, I can honestly say that I am exactly the same way online as I am in real life. True story.
This discussion has been closed.