what's with all the hate?

Options
I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Human nature. Take what you want from the forums and ignore the rest. You can't change it.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    The best you can do is report the topic / reply.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Is it hate or is it people posting information that isn't correct and then not liking being corrected? That's usually where it starts. Someone makes a claim, digs in and swears it's right, gets told it's BS and then it all breaks down from there.

People are here for different reasons. The majority are trying to manage weight loss but there are also folks who are here for fitness. There are lots of really knowledgeable voices that can guide newbies and will squash anyone promoting unhealthy diets or making wild claims. Tone is hard to read and a lot of times people are looking for someone to blow smoke up their *kitten* telling them what a great job their doing on their 800 calorie a day diet so it's taken as rude to point out that it most likely isn't going to turn out well.

These forums are actually very tame compared to other interest groups. Hit some of the tech or politic forums if you want to see hate mail fly. I wouldn't suggest reporting a post unless it's really offensive as in name calling, racial slurs, etc because the mods will let a lot go and generally it just means you get a reputation as a cry baby.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    because its the internet.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're not eating enough, which makes them cranky.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    ... aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys?...

In short, no. At the end of the day, this is still an internet forum. Try to ignore the negativity, and take what good, constructive things that you can from what is said. If you're really good, then you can set aside the delivery method and realize that even the snarky comments have some wisdom in them, sometimes.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I spend a fair amount of time browsing these boards, and I have yet to see any 'hate'.

I see people asking for advice and receiving blunt answers, that may not be what they want to hear, but are usually what they need to hear.

I see people posting asking others to join them on diet fads that are not at all good for them, and people bluntly (and yes, sometimes sarcastically and... er... snarkily [yeah! it's a word!]) trying to set their skewed approach to health straight.

I see people trying to explain why fasts will backfire, why lifting is GOOD, why sugar isn't the antichrist, why 1200 cal. isn't sustainable long term, why juice fasts are harmful, and why paleo isn't for everyone.

I see people who have already worked their way well past the 'omg, I am here to lose and am gung ho and will do this by cutting all carbs and eating below BMR'* folk and are trying to give them a shortcut past slogging their way through feeling lightheaded from lack of food to eating well and enough to lose in a healthy manner.

But hate? That's a very strong word. I've seen no hate round these parts. None.

* For the record, I was one of these folk not two months ago, I am not trying to demean any people just starting out with that statement.
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah I see the hate in some of these forums but I choose to ignore what they have to say. It doesn't ruin my day or change what my focus or my goal is. I read the forums for advice and of course some advice is not good advice. I do understand what you are saying but since it is a public forum it tends to get nasty at times and some people are out there to stir trouble. As someone said above it is really hard to read someone's tone, so I just read and comment as well but I do try and not point any fingers or call anyone out. To each is own in my opinion.
  • april1445
    Options
    Ya, some threads/posters need to be ignored. They're on here for different reasons than we are. There's a lot of safety in anonymity.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

Starting a thread that you *should* know will fan the flames of the argument seems to be a suboptimal way to address the issue.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds in this world...

Love em or leave em!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I LOVE..............................
    I HAVE SO MUCH LOVE.....................................
    BLISSFUL LOVE.............................
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Over the last several years, I've noticed that the word "hate" had become absurdly overused.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot like that around here. It comes in waves...

Jay
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Ya, some threads/posters need to be ignored. They're on here for different reasons than we are. There's a lot of safety in anonymity.

But the op said we're all here for the same reason.

This is the hardest thing about MFP: I can never remember if we're all different, and here for the same reason, of if we're all the same, and here for different reasons.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Starting a thread that you *should* know will fan the flames of the argument seems to be a suboptimal way to address the issue.

+1

I love these very ironic threads.

Oh and eta- :flowerforyou: cause I am nice and stuffs.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This is the hardest thing about MFP: I can never remember if we're all different, and here for the same reason, of if we're all the same, and here for different reasons.

We're all snowflakes hanging out inside the same snowball...
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Well from what I have read
    1. lack of sex
    2. lack of food, sugar, etc
    3. We are Single Desperate Fatties..... this one was my favorite lol

I'm blaming it on daylight savings time and the weather getting colder lol Im just nice like that:wink:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options

If you're fluent enough in doublethink, it can be both.