what's with all the hate?

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    This place is nothing. If you want to see people get REALLY mean, go visit a parenting forum. Nothing unleashes latent insecurity faster than hearing some parents do things "different".

^ I spent 9 months on a baby board posting GIFS. It was brutal. All the "Are hot cheetos bad for my baby?" posts.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ^ I spent 9 months on a baby board posting GIFS. It was brutal. All the "Are hot cheetos bad for my baby?" posts.

tyleroakley-canteven.gif
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMRuILFYfwYZWfswBo6LWZK72HLAragANxyXG9tvSwleqlMMUIDySeM2rz
  • ymlewicki1
    ymlewicki1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to Add Me, No Drama Here! *wink ;) I am down 22.2 today in 5 weeks with Medithin and would love to exchange ideas and recipes!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This place is nothing. If you want to see people get REALLY mean, go visit a parenting forum. Nothing unleashes latent insecurity faster than hearing some parents do things "different".

Bring up childhood vaccinations.. That'll perk everyone up.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to Add Me, No Drama Here! *wink ;) I am down 22.2 today in 5 weeks with Medithin and would love to exchange ideas and recipes!

Oh yeah, no drama gonna happen from this...fo' sho.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I read meth... *winky face*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Oh shoot, in my first week here I brought up Flu Shots and someone was kind enough to warn me how ugly things might get. He even told me how to delete the thread and has remained a good friend on my FL throughout.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess you never play on /b/?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Spongebob-butthurt_large.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Oh shoot, in my first week here I brought up Flu Shots and someone was kind enough to warn me how ugly things might get. He even told me how to delete the thread and has remained a good friend on my FL throughout.

It always amuses the hell out of me when someone posts a "makeup at the gym" thread, and a bunch of women lose their s**t and start tripping and assuming it is somehow a personal attack on them. Wtf? Funny stuff. :laugh:
  • vanillabeans001
    Options
    they are trolling. they want to stir the pot, upset people, make people angry or offended.. it's for their own amusement. best thing to do is ignore them, because any response you give will just feed into their MO. I've noticed that more and more people are doing this in the last few years. not only on this site, but on the internet in general. it's sad that so many more people find more joy in trying to hurt others than those who find joy in helping others. it's a disturbing trend. PS: you will never see me post a stupid gif, mocking people or belittling ANYONE on here. Bullying and/or exploiting people is super bad karma.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

That's a good friend. Thing fly fast and hard on the interwebz. I just try to avoid getting clobbered by them.

It always amuses the hell out of me when someone posts a "makeup at the gym" thread, and a bunch of women lose their s**t and start tripping and assuming it is somehow a personal attack on them. Wtf? Funny stuff. :laugh:

LOL. Awesomeness right there.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    it is nothing new it has always been that way. And not just on this website it is everywhere. People get bigger, badder, and smarter when dealing with other people in a way that is not face to face - maybe to make up for being a pushover in real life.

Has it ever occurred to you...and others who repeat this worn out statement...that some of us are like this IRL too? Honestly, I'm even more direct IRL because I'm not constrained by the suffocating Community Guidelines (all hail) and am not in fear of a three strike rule taking me out.

I know, I know, more words from a keyboard...but at least consider the possibility that this is true for at least some people.

This.

The only difference between my internet persona and my non pixelated persona, is that I don't carry around a pocketful of apropos gifs and pics.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

Everyone is in a different place. Many people have been in maintenance for years, and continue, and they know a few things about a few things, and they see the exact same stuff constantly, and find it odd that people don't just use search before asking if they will loose more phat if they detox for 7 daze, then go low carb for 3 months, and then turn to the left 3 times while clapping their hands.

yes...but why do these same people need to reply at all if they dont want to/feel irritated by the question or feel they have seen it all before....noone is forcing them to read the forums or answer any of the questions...so if they cant do so without showing their ire...why do they bother at all??

I think it's because there are always new people joining the site and getting started on their fitness goals, and a lot of the successful folks on this site answer the same tired questions over and over to try to save the newbies from wasting their time/money/energy on things that aren't healthy or just don't work. It's awesome they continue to do that even though some of their answers lead to threads such as this one.

People have different styles of communication and react differently, so it's going to be impossible for everyone to always be happy with each other on sites like this.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    they are trolling. they want to stir the pot, upset people, make people angry or offended.. it's for their own amusement. best thing to do is ignore them, because any response you give will just feed into their MO. I've noticed that more and more people are doing this in the last few years. not only on this site, but on the internet in general. it's sad that so many more people find more joy in trying to hurt others than those who find joy in helping others. it's a disturbing trend. PS: you will never see me post a stupid gif, mocking people or belittling ANYONE on here. Bullying and/or exploiting people is super bad karma.

Eyeroll.gif
  • wheird
    Options

He's an awesome guy.
  • vanillabeans001
    Options
    GFY
  • wheird
    Options
    GFY

The irony is so strong you can almost taste it.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

He's an awesome guy.

Hmmm... You seem to be personalizing here. Are you trying to suggest that you are said "awesome guy"? :flowerforyou: