stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do both and I'm never giving up my extensive cardio to solely lift weights. I run marathons and I enjoy being able to call myself an athlete and run distances that most people can't even comprehend. Plus, running changed my life so not a chance I'll ever give it up.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Lift all the heavy things. Run all the miles. Eat all the foods. Have all the fun. Be all the sexay.
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    Meh, women can do whatever the hell they want and don't need men to 'educate' them about their own bodies. I rarely formally lift, but running and using the arc trainer is certainly giving me an efficient cardiovascular exchange and some legs that could kill a horse. Other women enjoy lifting and the bodies they get from that, or a combination. Who cares?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Meh, women can do whatever the hell they want and don't need men to 'educate' them about their own bodies. I rarely formally lift, but running and using the arc trainer is certainly giving me an efficient cardiovascular exchange and some legs that could kill a horse. Other women enjoy lifting and the bodies they get from that, or a combination. Who cares?

You did read the many replies from women in the thread stating the health benefits.....right?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I actually do feel that weights have made me bulky in some areas, more so than when I was more focused on just cardio. Before I was just fat and now I have that look of a defensive football player, only on a miniature scale. However, I need to lose some bodyfat. Right now my calves and biceps have more muscle mass than I would like to see, and they don't have a lot of fat on them. I don't think I would trade that though for the gains I've seen in strength and power and the positive changes in my back and shoulders. I feel that I am an anomaly. I don't see anyone else in my gym who is female and looks like me.

I seem to bulk real easy especially the upper body! I still have body fat though ....its just weird! LOL!

Then there are a ton of people who want your secret.
    ::: raises hand :::
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think that a toned female body is just a beautiful thing. And for the most part ... the only way that I have seen that toned can really happen is by lifting some weights.

Myself .. I have noticed my body getting more toned since I have started weights. So it does seem to work well.

But I would have to say that from what I have seen here at MFP .. most women are looking to lose body fat, and lose weight. Getting toned is not necessarily the goal for many people .. thus this route is not as popular as it could be.

What do I know any ways ... just spilling out words here.

At first my goal was to solely lose weight.... and all I did was run for my exercise. I lost a lot of weight quickly, and when I started to be happy with the loss, I moved more to weights, etc. I didn't see the scale move much from then on, but I noticed the shape of my body change.

I think both are important, but I think they play different roles for different people at different times in their journeys... but it's good for them to know they are beneficial.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I always suggest lifting to anyone. I wouldn't want to lose a lot of weight only to have flabby skin. Let's tone up.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First, lifting weight is good for women. The fastest way to burn fat is to increase muscle mass. Why do you think it's generally easier for men to lose weight? It's because they have more muscle mass.

Secondly, women are more likely to develop osteoporosis, post menopause. The best way to stave off osteoporosis, is to have strong bones. The best way to get strong bones is to pick up heavy things.

The heart is also a muscle so, cardio is important too, but not as important as most people think it is.

My personal routine includes 2 days of cardio, 4 days of weightlifting, 1 day of rest.
  • no2thdk
    Options
    Lifting weights cause muscle, muscle burns fat. Hence the more you lift the more you lose. Simple as that.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    i understand cardio is important(depending on what kind you're doing), but where are women getting the idea that lifting weights will make them aminly and bulky from? for the ladies that do lift...can you PLEASE share with us how lifting weights have made a difference to your physique and health?

Define "overdoing cardio". If someone isn't doing any strength training that doesn't mean that cardio is to blame. Why are you specifically singling out women OP? Why can't men share how lifting has made a difference? Men do things too you know?
    Lift all the heavy things. Run all the miles. Eat all the foods. Have all the fun. Be all the sexay.

Yes, exactly this.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This thread. Le sigh.

Objectives and personal pleasure should dictate exercise type and there are more than your two choices "weights" vs "cardio".
    Why is it necessary to diss "cardio" to point out the benefits of progressive resistance training?

However, I will agree that a lot of misconceptions about what weight training does or does not do. For example, done properly - weight training of some sort will help in many types of back or joint pain.

For me, weight training is only part of a program that also includes other focuses for flexibility, various types of endurance, balance, agility, total performance that neither weight training alone nor cardio alone addresses optimally.

This.

I love lifting. It's made a huge difference in the way my body looks and it has helped my back and joint pain tremendously.

But I also just started running and I am enjoying that too. You don't have to put down one in order to build up the other.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an alternative to the topic line: Stop overdoing any type of exercise and balance your workouts.

Do cardio, resistance, balance and flexibility exercises. Don't overdo any of them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    lol
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Like many others here I believe both cardio and weight training are beneficial to me. I lift twice a week and I do cardio three times a week. I plan on increasing the weights more but right now I'm too sore to do more than two days. I'm enjoying getting stronger though and I'm seeing noticeable changes in stubborn areas of my body.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do whatever keeps you moving sheeeesh!!!! You like lifting? Good, keep it up! You like to run? Good keep it up!! Not everyone has or needs the same goals.....:noway:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    tumblr_miykonsly51r14zsjo1_500.jpg
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    tumblr_miykonsly51r14zsjo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Perfectly said. Lifting changed my life, but the endorphins I get from HIIT and hill sprints keep me sane. Everyone needs to find what works beat - and long term - for them. But, no, I don't look bulky at all. I look awesome. :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Yes, exactly this.

Absolutely. I refuse to choose, I want it all.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

1-3 is personal choice and there's nothing wrong with that. 4 is not accurate as it pertains to "when" to start weight training. A lot of people like to use the excuse that they haven't lost enough weight to lift. That's false.

And, yes, people should always do what they enjoy.