stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I love cardio, especially dancing, because that's my passion. If i had not started off with this cardio, i never would have lost any weight and definitely would not even try to lift weights or have the confidence to do so. Now that i have lost some weight doing what i love, i have started lifting weights/Pilates/resistance training and i love the combination.

If i had to choose, i would choose cardio, because thats something i know i love and can do forever. Lifting weights i cant say, because i have joint issues that flare up every time i do it and i am getting it checked out by the doctor. So while i wait for that to sort out, if not for cardio, i would still be fat, because I LOVE FOOD and cardio gives me the extra calories to eat. So i dance for fun, eat because delicious and still lose weight!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mad bulky yo

I hate this crap!!!

20130824_035002_zpsb6e0cf44.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

+1

I'm just not interested in weight lifting at this time. Some people, girls and guys seem to talk about how "skinny fat" is just wrong, or something about how we look bad naked? Idk I get confused. Anyways, I am perfectly happy with "skinny fat" and I find cardio easier and more accessible, I can walk, jog, use elliptical, bike etc. whereas the only weights I have are 5lb hand weights. No gym membership for me. Out of our price range. Cardio is just easier, I may do some weight stuff later when I hit goal, but honestly, probably not.
    Perfectly happy with skinny fat? So you're perfectly happy with having all the same health risks and problems as an overweight/obese person, but because you weigh less on the scale it's ok?

In for the answer to/discussion about this...
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do 60 mins on my recumbent bike everyday and do arm weights, i use 5-10 lb weights i do 35-45 mins and i love the way it feels,the burn is awesome and my arms are starting to show definition but not bulky..i will never stop weights. i workout at home and hope to be able to get a gym membership this xmas.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm HUGE.

20127619_8151.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm HUGE.

20127619_8151.jpg

HUAGE TRAACKKKKS OF LANNNNNNND

HUUUAUAAGGGEEEE

:D Giggle. giggle- you look fabulous!
  • wildchildzoom
    wildchildzoom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a lady, been lifting weights/resistance machines combined with 15 minutes cardio before and afterwards. Same exact weight, but my clothes fit baggy, my bra is on the smallest notch and its only been 2 months. Weight lifting has toned up my body in amazing ways so far and made me smaller & lose inches.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Bump

Checking out the body weight exercises as I also don't have access to gym weights and machines.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    BIG GIRLS LIFT TOO!!!

I like lifting … mainly because I have been doing it since I was 14. Playing sports in high school and college we did a lot of weight training.

Now, there are so reasons I don’t like lifting. I have 57 lbs to my goal probably another 73 pounds until I am in a healthy BMI. I have SO MUCH fat on top of the muscle that I never see the muscles! I have been working on my Gut to Butt ratio for a while … I can’t see the progress because it’s under LAYERS AND LAYERS OF FAT. So I like to do cardio! I work up a sweat, I am burning fat, and I like to work on my endurance.

The last time I was the workout queen I did only cardio I saw some results … I lost weight. I wasn’t calorie counting at the time. I didn’t feel comfortable working out with the meat heads in the gym. If they aren’t hitting on you they feel like the need to assist the damsel in distress (which ain’t no distress ‘round here!!) Now I have a home gym at my apartment complex. No one is ever there and I haven’t exceeded the weights that they have there; I also so HIIT workouts at home as well.

In addition, my Fitbit doesn’t count my lifting it only counts my steps so I can work out for an hour but I don’t see the calories reflected on MFP.

In conclusion, I think that people who want to see a certain result do not need to lift. I think lifting will be the best for them, but if they don’t want to they don’t want to (and I see their point).

I know that lifting works for me but sometimes I get a little tired of it … My goal is weight loss … it’s not performance or bulk. I know cardio can achieve that but I would have to admit I miss lifting and seeing how much more my body can do, you start to understand that you can push yourself.

50540473.png
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Bump

Checking out the body weight exercises as I also don't have access to gym weights and machines.

Many yoga positions use your body weight as strength-creating. Good old fashioned push up, squats and calisthenics also.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love the way some people say the best way to burn more calories is to add more muscle, by lifting weights. Then others say, women don't bulk -- that is, they really do not put on much muscle when they lift.
    Maybe a better way to burn more calories is to increase your brain activity. Seems the brain burns somewhere between 20 percent and 25 percent of our daily calories, and that using your brain, through greater concentration, increases its energy utilization.
    Why can't women just do what they want to do? If they want to run, fine. If they want to lift, fine.
    I happen to think it is pretty arrogant to create a thread admonishing women on how they should exercise. I've had complete strangers critique my form, and choice of exercise, in the gym and I hate unsolicited advice.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy lifting, when I do it consistently. I get stronger and feel better and toned. Problem is, I find it harder to lose lbs. I don't know why. It just true, for me.

Case in point...I was lifting consistently 2-3 times a week until about 6 or so weeks ago. I was at a plateau, weight wise. I was OK, though, because I felt good and my clothes were fitting well. Then I injured myself because I decided to add jogging to my walking regime without easing into it. So I had to back off of lifting.

I started back just easy walking 30 minutes to an hour again, daily, with my dog. Plus I added in more steps whenever possible with parking at the far end of lots when shopping. Carrying groceries to car instead of rolling them in cart, etc. No lifting formal lifting routine. No intense cardio (except weekend bike rides). My plateau broke and I am losing consistently. :tongue: The fact that I changed my macros up a bit with more protein might have also had something to do with it. Now I am not sure about starting the lifting again, though I enjoyed it.

That's just my personal experience. Every BODY is different.:laugh:
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying women should do what they "enjoy", as long as they're not complaining about not having that 6-pack or muscle tone showing. We all have different fitness goals and/or ideal body types. Imo, there's nothing wrong with someone who's skinny fat, does a lot of cardio (enjoys it) and feels good about themselves. Same with bodybuilding females who purposely "bulk", do less cardio, lift heavier. I'm still kind of new to lifting but I think I'm in the middle of the two (lift and do cardio, but on deficit right now).

Also, do not understand how lifting is "expensive". Before I got a gym membership, all I had was a 10lb. plate and two pairs of dumbells (5lb and 8lb). With no previous lifting/muscle memory, I got stronger with just those^. I didn't get ripped/jacked, but I looked slightly more toned. If you buy even the 10lb dumbells and a 25lb plate after the 5 and 8lb, there are ENDLESS exercises you can do with them. You don't need machines either, unless you're trying to bodybuild.

I payed maybe $150 max for my 5lb, 8lb, 12lb, 15lb, and the two plates + 2 balls + resistance bands + yoga mat. Craiglist deals help and buying the weight when they go on sale.

:)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_miykonsly51r14zsjo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

gawwwwd yessss.
    in a 'harry met sally' sort of way :laugh:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Some people like to do cardio and aren't really into lifting.

Some people like to lift and aren't into cardio.

Some people do both.

Some do neither.

It doesn't matter the reasons why someone does what they do. If it's working for them then power to 'em. If they're sticking to it, all the better. If they LIKE it, then it's a plus.

For them.

Not everyone likes to do the same things.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I hardly think if someone who hasn't lift weights is going to miraculous start lifting after this thread. Please soap box more.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I know I am late, but IN for skinny-fat girls who think that they can only lose fat with cardio.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Some people just truly love it. I tried lifting for a few months.. just didn't enjoy it like I did cardio. Went back to mostly cardio. As long as people are doing something... that's not sitting on the couch eating potato chips all day long! Why does it matter what anyone does, as long as they enjoy it!
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I like both... I've only been doing weights properly for a few weeks now, but it's improved my running immensely just for a start.

Running leaves me on a massive high, and lifting makes me feel like I could move a mountain. I LOVE the way my body is reshaping already.

^^^ THIS!

I took a few weeks off from running, but continued my weight lifting. When I came back to my running, I found that I had built up the muscle endurance to run faster for longer periods of time. I was starting my C25k app over and was able to easily run almost 2 mph faster during the run times than the month before. My legs and glutes felt more powerful!
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to find the things that you LOVE to DO, at least in the beginning of this weight loss journey. If someone does not enjoy lifting weights, they probably will not stick to it. If one would rather walk and run, let them begin there. They are active, they are burning calories, they are reaching their weightloss goals, they are getting healthy.

I take a body pump class at the Y. I absolutely HATE IT! But I also hate the places on my body that are in desperate need of toning, and thus I realize the value of lifting weights. When I began this journey, those places were not visible. They were covered by a layer of fat. The cardio helped me to get where I am, and the time for me to lift weights has come. But I hate it, and because I do, I know that if I had started there, I might not have gotten here.

So leave them alone. You are not walking in their shoes and it isn't your place to judge. Worry about yourself and go lift some more weights.