Replies

• gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yummy-bump!
  • umduh1
    umduh1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Soooo...what I got from this whole thread is that pretty much anything goes! I just threw 4 frozen chicken breasts, a can of corn, a can of red beans and a big can of tomato sauce in for dinner. Can't wait til later! THANKS!!!
  • eyoreblu
    Options
    Bump
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yum! Bump:)
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love love love the crockpot! I make stuffed peppers in it ALL THE TIME! Take some ground turkey, 1 egg, brown instant rice, worstchire sauce, and onion, mix that all together, stuff into peppers, put them in the pot, cover with a can of stewed tomatoes. I prefer the chili ready tomatoes. I will vary the recipe from time to time. Last time I added a jalapeno, zucchini, and mushrooms to meat mixture.

I make chili and soups all the time too. I love the crock because it's a one stop shop. I will make variations on other recipes and make them in the crock.

I can't wait to try some of the receipes on here!
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken 3 to 4 pcs.
    1 cup of Ketchup
    1 cup of soda pop (I chose dtiet for fewer calories, dt pepsi, dt 7up, dt coke any will do)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder ( I just shake it in)
    salt and pepper to taste

cook on low for about 4 or5 hrs

Serve with Basmati rice
    your choice of steamed veggies

Its WONDERFUL!
  • ina1975
    ina1975 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have an older style Crock Pot so my cooking times may be a bit long in comparison to some of the newer models.

Here are a few of our favorites:

CREAMY CHICKEN:

Place 4 chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add 2 cans cream soup (cream of chicken works the best, but any will do)
    Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. About 1/2 before finished, mix 1 tbsp cornmeal and 1 tbsp flour with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle ontop for a yummy cornmeal dumpling style crust.

BEEF STROGANOFF:

Place some stew meat at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add some chopped onions (usually half an onion for us, we like onions!) Add 1-2 cans (depending on how much meat) cream soup (mushroom works the best, but any will do). Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Serve over egg noodles.

APPLE PIE BREAKFAST:

Place 2 Cups Steel Cut Oats, 4 Cups Milk, 3 Cups Water, 2-4 Medium Apples, diced (sweet apples work best), Cinnamon & Nutmeg to taste in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours (until liquid is incorporated) stirring every so often. Top with real Maple Syrup (has to be real, I use 'grade b' from the health food store for this recipe), for drizzling ontop.

ROAST CHICKEN:

Throw a whole chicken (insides removed) in slow cooker. Add your favorite chopped veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions). Top with poultry seasoning, salt & pepper to taste. Cook on low 8 hours or high 5-6 hours. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID. The juices from the chicken will be enough. If you add water the fat will seperate and make your veggies look unappetizing. I save the leftover juices from the chicken and make gravy for my husband.

ROAST BEEF:

Cut half a dozen cloves of garlic lenghthwise into 3-4 strips. Cut slits in your roast beef and insert garlic. Throw it into the slow cooker. Add your favorite chopped veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions). Top with salt, pepper to taste. Cook on low 8 hours or high 5-6 hours. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID. The juices from the roast will be enough. If you add water the fat will seperate and make your veggies look unappetizing. I save leftover juices from the roast and make gravy for my husband.

bumping this
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bumping into my favourites. :happy:
  • kp106
    kp106 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got the "Fix it and Forget It-Christmas favorites" for Christmas and a crockpot to go with it! Making my first meal in it tomorrow. Pork chops with pineapple and teriyaki sauce! Should be good!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Not completely relative, but can you cook a couple pounds of frozen chicken in a slow cooker without having to worry about it too much? If so, how?
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    That ham one sounds really good. I'll have to make note of that!!

Our favorite one is probably a meatloaf recipe I have that I cook in the crockpot. Let me know if you're interested in it and I'll post it (don't have it memorized). I also have a slow cooker lasagna that's pretty good, and I love cooking beef stew and pot roast in the crock pot. I do the same with the pot roast, with the cream of mushroom soup, but also like to throw a couple of potatoes and some carrots in celery in there too!

I loooooove my slow cooker, especially in the winter when it's cold outside!

Can you please post your meatloaf recipe?
    Thank you
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I got a Crock Pot for Christmas (a beautiful stainless steel one that serves 8 and we are only 2) and just used it for the first time tonight.

Our meal came out delicious!! Don't believe the rumors that chicken breast gets dry in a slow cooker, it was more moist then when I grill it on my Cuisinart Griddler.

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

2 chicken breasts, thawed
    ½ can diced tomatoes
    1 jalapeño pepper, chopped fine
    ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup frozen corn, thawed
    1/8 cup fresh cilantro
    ½ cup water
    2 scallions, chopped
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp chili flakes
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper
    1 garlic clove
    4 dashes of salt
    Black pepper

Directions: Combine everything but salt and chicken in the crock pot . Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 9.5 hours or on high for 5.5 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred using 2 foks. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Serve over 2/3 cup cooked brown Minute Rice. Serves 4.

WW Points: 3 + rice = 6

** YES, I added this top the MFP recipe guide if you'd like to see exact nutritional content.

Picture331.jpg
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love love love the crockpot! I make stuffed peppers in it ALL THE TIME! Take some ground turkey, 1 egg, brown instant rice, worstchire sauce, and onion, mix that all together, stuff into peppers, put them in the pot, cover with a can of stewed tomatoes. I prefer the chili ready tomatoes. I will vary the recipe from time to time. Last time I added a jalapeno, zucchini, and mushrooms to meat mixture.

I used to LOVE stuffed peppers.. I will have to try this version! :)
  • maviolette
    maviolette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bump
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found Crock Pot buddies! Bump! I use mine more than anything to cook chicken. Buy the little roasters when they go on crazy sale, throw them in the freezer--after taking anything inside out--then pull one out, throw it in the crockpot, leave, and when I come home, I have cooked chicken I can dissect and eat, or save and use for another meal sometime.
  • tdpassley
    tdpassley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BBQ Pulled Pork

I just buy a bone-in Boston Butt pork roast, 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, and I also buy a slow cooker seasoning package from McCormick made for pulled pork (not sure if the seasoning is necessary however, but I always use).

Add pork to crock pot, mix in half of the BBQ sauce with the McCormick pulled pork package, and pour over pork. Cook on low for 8 hours. Pull apart with two forks to serve. Adding the rest of the BBQ sauce bottle when eating.

Everyone in my house and everyone who has tried this recipe loves this.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ** YES, I added this top the MFP recipe guide if you'd like to see exact nutritional content.

How do I get to the "MFP recipe guide"? I can't seem to find it.
  • sarah29may
    Options
    Me too! I was glad you asked :)