13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pure true sugar is two glucose molecules linked together. Thats GLUCOSE - not fructose. The fake sugars are made with one glucose and one fructose linked together, or two fructose molecules. Fructose is very bad for you. Glucose is not. Your cells need glucose to make ATP (energy). Pure sugar in your foods is not a bad thing - its far healthier for you than high fructose corn syrup or fake sugars made from fructose.

With that being said it is still bad to eat too much sugar, but I wanted to make the correction. The kind of sugar you find in fruit and pure sugar cane sugar is the SAME THING. They are both just as good for you and bad for you. The only differene is the other benefits you get from the food you eat with those sugars, like a candy bar vs. an apple. But molecularly those are the same sugars.

The post was about fructose - totally different from real sugar.

WTH did I just read

So anything but glucose is not pure sugar, fructose, sucrose, maltose etc, those are not pure sugars?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Great article but not worth wasting your time posting it here. Even faced with a mountain of evidence the majority MFPers are unable to make the connection that food MUST affect health, and that weight loss IS about health. A healthy body loses fat effortlessly. Calories in/calories out is an extreme over-simplification of a complex system that is our body. And IIFYM is bs. If I followed the macro settings as set by MFP, I would be a full blown diabetic right now, and still obese. But any personal experience that anyone shares in the general forums that challenges the "group think" is ridiculed relentlessly. Because there's no possible way that the government and the food/pharma industry would ever lie to us about what is "healthy". Yup, current dietary recommendations have nothing to do with maximizing corporate profits. (sarcasm)

I don't think you understand what IIFYM means. Or if you do, you're misrepresenting it here. I don't know any fellow IIFYMers who use the MFP default macros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Pure true sugar is two glucose molecules linked together. Thats GLUCOSE - not fructose. The fake sugars are made with one glucose and one fructose linked together, or two fructose molecules. Fructose is very bad for you. Glucose is not. Your cells need glucose to make ATP (energy). Pure sugar in your foods is not a bad thing - its far healthier for you than high fructose corn syrup or fake sugars made from fructose.

With that being said it is still bad to eat too much sugar, but I wanted to make the correction. The kind of sugar you find in fruit and pure sugar cane sugar is the SAME THING. They are both just as good for you and bad for you. The only differene is the other benefits you get from the food you eat with those sugars, like a candy bar vs. an apple. But molecularly those are the same sugars.

Ummm...what is honey?

And fruit is bad for you?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Erm...what?
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • justiceevers
    Options
    I kinda disagree with number 2. While unhealthy foods do impact your overall health and how you feel, when it comes down to body composition, a calorie is a calorie. If you have any significant self-control, you will be able to eat "unhealthy" foods every now and then and still stay on track.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, though not entirely true. No matter what they say, I will always like my eggs, meat, and wheat.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Ummm...what is honey?

And fruit is bad for you?
    Some people just want to watch the world burn
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    # 2 and # 10 are BS IMO
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gluten if you're not sensitive or don't have an allergy.

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have a link to the studies?

Don't you have Google?
    I'm not posting to debate and not taking de bait :wink:

don't believe everything you find on google...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    the information is 50% bs and 50% right on. Use common sense and eat reasonably you will be fine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

No, this is all so, so wrong. The bolded bit is the worst.

Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a simple monosaccharide found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose. It is one of the three naturally occurring dietary monosaccharides, along with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion. Fructose naturally is found in honey, tree and vine fruits, flowers, berries, and most root vegetables.

Fructose and high fructose corn syrup are two completely different things. High fructose corn syrup is the combination of glucose and fructose and does not occur in nature where many of the glucose molecules are chemically converted into fructose to make it sweeter to the human sense of taste.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't think you know how to count calories then, check your measurements

Well since i weigh everything, i'm pretty sure that's pretty accurate.

I also have a body bug, so I know what I burn every day.

I don't care that you can eat the sugar and be ok. I can't. period. that's all i said. I gained 10 pounds last weekend after 1 day of way to much sugar. I mean it was epic sugar consumption, but I really doubt I ate 35,000 calories in one day and I still have a headache from no sugar today and my stomach hurt all day yesterday from it.

All I can do is go by what *my body tells me is good or not good for it* added sugar is bad. It's not for you. great carry on.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't care that you can eat the sugar and be ok. I can't. period. that's all i said. I gained 10 pounds last weekend after 1 day of way to much sugar. I mean it was epic sugar consumption, but I really doubt I ate 35,000 calories in one day and I still have a headache from no sugar today and my stomach hurt all day yesterday from it.

All I can do is go by what *my body tells me is good or not good for it* added sugar is bad. It's not for you. great carry on.

if you did not eat 35000 calories then you did not gain 10 pounds...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    1. It's correct stating eggs aren't bad.

2. A calorie is a calorie. Whether you eat 100 calories of protein or 100 calories of carbs, the ENERGY value is the same.What they should say instead is value of macronutrients in calories differ.

3.While saturated fats are essential for optimal health, a balancing of polyunsaturated fats with it provides more benefit than just saturated fat alone.
    There's a fine line in saying this because lots of "unhealthy" foods contain saturated fats, so if the interpretation is to believe that saturated fats are fine to eat in excess, there may be a lot of weight gain.

4. Agree.

5. It's not for everyone, but like anything else, moderation of it is fine.

6. Coffee is fine. But when getting the "Designer" coffees there are usually filled with a ton of calories. And if one is an avid coffee drinker with all the excess calories, they'll get overweight just like anyone else who over consumes food.

7. Meat is just fine.

8. The healthiest diet is one that meets someone's daily macro/micro nutrients and fuels what ever output they do. An Olympic swimmer uses much more carb energy than someone that does yoga.

9. Correct about oils containing too much in Omega 6 and not enough in Omega 3's.

10. Low carb definitely works, but for about 90% of the people who diet on it, it's not sustainable.

11. Yep sodium is usually not a issue unless one has high BP issues.

12. Sugar is FINE in moderation. Demonizing it happens because too many people attribute it to the obesity epidemic. Truth is over consumption is the problem with obesity.

13. Fat can make you fat if you over consume it. Again, let's not look past actual calories in and out.

All in all there is some good take away from the article, but picking out information to support ones stance isn't any different than what the fitness industry states are the correct methods and diets. Peer reviewed studies should be looked and compared and the individual works out what they think will be best for them.

2. - the type of calories matter. Most people are unaware that a calorie is made up of different macro nutrients then other calories. Those numbers are just numbers on a label and a lot of people don't really know what they mean. So to go into that for the the general public is to loose them.
    The statement made was "a calorie isn't a calorie" which ISN'T true by standards of energy measurement. The type of macros do matter more based on how the body assimilates the calories, but by in large, weight loss still comes down to calories in and out. If we're talking about nutrition, then it's a different story.
    12- added sugar is evil. I have the sugar withdrawal headache right now. I think the problem with sugar is it's affects everyone differently. I did gain a lot of weight after eating too much added sugar over the weekend. Half of it is gone already, because it's fake weight gain, but it's gain nonetheless. The natural sugar does not do this to me.
    Too bad you're not me then. On Halloween, I ate a pound of M&M's peanut with no adverse affect and no weight gain. While I do believe that sugar does affect some people differently, as I stated earlier sugar is fine in moderation. The body processes all sugars the same way (with the exception of alcohol).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomsacct
    Options
    Autism and schizophrenia associated with gluten??? Really??? Smh

no joke there have been no studies linking gluten to anything like autism that is an old wives tale like vaccines cause autism. schizophrenia is highly genetic.

gluten is ok unless you are a celiac
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So we're replacing lies with different lies. Much better.

The martyrdom of those on the low-carb "lifestyle" is EXHAUSTING. Our understanding of nutrition changes as time goes on. As we know better, we do better. There's no conspiracy to keep you fat and unhealthy. In 10 years the idea that wheat makes you fat and sick is going to be looked at as laughably stupid as we see the anti-egg movement.
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat under 20g of carbohydrate a day.
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a 'martyr' at all. Eating a LCHF diet is simple, easy and satisfying. My CBC and Lipid panels are spectacular and I've never felt more healthy. Not everyone on LCHF is a 'martyr', they just act that way because they can't let go of the unhealthy carbohydrate laden **** they eat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

if you did not eat 35000 calories then you did not gain 10 pounds...

Tell that to my scale.

6 of them are gone already. because it's fake/water weight.

Too bad you're not me then. On Halloween, I ate a pound of M&M's peanut with no adverse affect and no weight gain. While I do believe that sugar does affect some people differently, as I stated earlier sugar is fine in moderation. The body processes all sugars the same way (with the exception of alcohol).

I would be so sick if i ate a pound of M&Ms. I'm not jealous.