Self Hate -- Weekend Rant

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    OP, just go for the hot girl instead of the guy. Easy solution.

I like where this is going...
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    To be honest the thin model girl making her weight comments probably has her own issues especially in her business of presenting and modeling, they face constant scrutiny and she probably wants to be viewed as relatable.

I find this guy's behavior just a little odd. He's obviously not interested in anything but friendship. But if I were the OTHER girl being invited and paid for, I'd be a little confused that he invited another cute female acquaintance (OP!) Unless this was some big platonic get together where as far as he's concerned, everyone is just friends, there's no dating in the mix and there's some social context I'm missing out on.

Either way.... forget about him. Maybe he's a perfectly nice dude, but it sounds like he just considers you a friend.

Work on yourself, keep working on not beating yourself down. CONFIDENCE is SEXY! A lot of men will go for a woman with a little more to love when she's the one who sparkles and has self confidence.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    He asked for the checks to be seperate ... he paid for hers and his and I paid for mine.

50540473.png

Well, imo, that's just rude. He invited you both out, so he should pay for both, or neither. Then again, I might be missing something in the equation?

Well, he did just invite her to watch football. It sounds like this was him meeting a friend to a watch a football game with his date.

OP might just have to let this one go, because he does not seem to be into you the way you are for him. And you might just keep setting yourself up for more hurt feelings.

Give your attention and time to a man that is interested in you.

That's true. I forgot it was a football gathering.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always been the same way. The homegirl type that gets along better with all the guys, relates to them better, turns to humor to fit in. I read this and completely understood your thought process.

But when we feel insecure about ourselves, we make a lot of assumptions, and it's usually those things that make us most unattractive.

First of all, you're gorgeous. Like, I'm jealous. You can't see that, but you have to realize that not everyone is going to be as focused on your weight as you are.

This girl, who called attention to her own weight and worked so hard to look cute? Did you ever think that maybe she was just as insecure? Everyone experiences unhappiness with their bodies for one reason or another. Maybe she wasn't trying to be the center of attention or point out that she was skinner than you. Maybe she was uncomfortable and jealous of you. Maybe she was thinking about how she was hungry and wished she could indulge but would feel too guilty or embarrassed because it doesn't fit with the image that's normally conveyed of her. Maybe she's worked just as hard to get to the weight that she has. One thing I've learned here, from friends, is that everyone has their own struggle. You don't know where they came from, what they've been through. There are people here who were 400 pounds that could fit in her size 2. You learn to give people the benefit of the doubt when you take things like that into account. Maybe she's struggled with weight and body issues her whole life. Maybe she feels unnecessarily fat because she looks in the mirror and doesn't see her ideal body.

Also, as far as paying for her, maybe she just couldn't pay her own way. Doesn't mean that he considered it a date with her and not with you. You said they were friends. Without knowing the nature of that relationship, you can't really look to the reasons why.

What you need to do: Realize that while you want to feel like the "girl" that guys think is beautiful or cute and worthy of all of that attention that the guy that is right for you won't be interested in whether or not you wore a cute dress and had your hair and nails done. He's going to like that you are a football fanatic and that you can relax and have fun with him. He's going to love you for YOURSELF. Which is the one thing you haven't learned to do yet. It's hard to break out of that instinct to feel competitive, to cut someone down when you feel threatened by them, especially considering that he kind of blindsided you by inviting her when you basically thought it was a date or the precedent to one. But you'll make a better impression if you just be yourself. Relax. Eat because you enjoy food. Watch the game and get just involved as you would be if no one was there. Realize that the only person scrutinizing your weight or how baggy your clothes are is you. Because your personality will be what wins people over. Your confidence in yourself, even if you don't love everything you see. Ummm....in a few months, same guy's going to see this absolutely beautiful girl who's worked damn hard to lose weight and looks gooooood. But you know what? As you get smaller and smaller, people aren't going to see the girl who used to be big and insecure. They won't care as much about your personality. They'll see the cute, skinny girl, and they probably won't see past that at first. They won't see your hard work or your sense of humor or the really beautiful girl inside. It's not an easy thing to learn or a habit that's easy to break, always caring what people think of your appearance, some people can never do it, but think about that next time. That the people who truly matter, who are worth it, are going to love what's inside, not out. Yes, it is very important to be healthy, to become a person that you can love, but you said it yourself in the very title. Right now, all you have is self hate. The things that you immediately downplayed about yourself are the things that most people love the most. Do you want the guy that's going to value you for looking cute or the guy that's going to watch football with you and have a beer?

Also, give yourself a break. When you get stressed/overwhelmed/anxious, try not to turn to food, but realize that if you do, it's not the end of the world. You didn't eat enough to even gain a pound, and even if it held back your progress for the week, it's something that you can make up for in a matter of days, hours, minutes.

Bottom line, try not to be so critical of yourself, or of others. Sounds like it wouldn't be such a bad idea to befriend this chick. You might even learn something from her or find that you have a lot in common when it comes to how you feel about yourself.

If the guy's worth it, he'll like that you weren't so self conscious that you couldn't eat what you wanted and have a few drinks. He'll like that you got so excited about the game. He'll like that you dressed how you felt comfortable. Maybe he'll go for the "cute" girl, but if he's only in for superficial attraction when he maybe has a better connection with you, he's not the one for you.

You may not feel good about yourself now, but how many people try to better themselves? How many people work hard to look and feel beautiful instead of accepting their displeasure with themselves? It seems daunting when you've only lost a little bit of weight, but from the sound of it, you've already lost a fair amount. Your clothes are getting looser! Soon, you'll be buying a new wardrobe and feeling more confident about your appearance. You might look in the mirror and see the fat girl that can poke fun at herself and make people laugh. But look instead for the strong, determined, beautiful woman who won't lay down without a fight. You'll be happier when you find her.
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Aw, honey, I completely understand. I've been there, and here's what I've learned: self confidence is sexy. Period.

I'm also reading this great book on Buddhism and the writer discusses being kind to ourselves and others, and not letting your bad emotions get the best of you. It's called "A Buddhist Walks into a Bar" and it's actually interesting (and many mindfulness/Buddhism/self-help books are boring as heck).
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Chalk it up to lesson learned and next time, don't do that! The difference between you and this woman, for him, may not have been size. It may have been confidence. I don't know what this other woman looks like (other than what you say), but judging from your profile picture, I think you are a beautiful woman. OWN IT!!!
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... I have been sick for days so i really couldnt reply.

J actually asked me out again and has been checking on me this entire time ive been sick ... IDK what that means but I am going to go with it.

D wrote me the other day and say hi ... it was all very weird but i have taken really good lessons on how to work on myself and that is what is most important.

I like ALL the comments ...
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    As long as you learn from your mistakes instead of beating yourself up over it. Hope your second hang out will go much better. We're all rooting for you :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

J actually asked me out again and has been checking on me this entire time ive been sick ... IDK what that means but I am going to go with it.

D wrote me the other day and say hi ... it was all very weird but i have taken really good lessons on how to work on myself and that is what is most important.

Re: J - It means he's your friend. From the other things you've described, that's it. Friends check up on friends when they're sick. And they like to hang out together.

He's likely oblivious to your feelings on the whole matter. Seeing as how the two of you are friends, tell him. If, as we suspect, he's not interested, it may be awkward for a while. But, if you're as good friends as it seems, time will likely heal any wounds.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ...the worst part was that I WAS THE ONE MAKING MYSELF FELL WORSE. I have always talked down about myself even as a child. I do it in the hopes that if I poke fun at myself other wont or it won’t hurt as much when they do. I was talking so badly about myself in front of J and D; it wasn’t a good look at all.

Old habits die hard...no matter how much weight you lose you will never be happy with YOU until you stop being your own worst enemy...don't sweat the meal, don't fret about being hard on yourself in the past...do resolve to make better choices starting right now...do resolve to like yourself right now...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

He thinks of you as a friend and her as something he wants to bonk otherwise why would he pay for her and not you? That is just wrong. It's fine if he pays for neither of you or both but why just one? Your heart is going to be broken.. you should keep him at arms length as a friend only.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Don't say things to yourself that you would never say to a friend. You are worth just as much as everyone. You are in no way inferior because you are at a different weight than someone else.

This is a really great piece of advice, thank you!! I have problems with feeling bad and putting myself down on occasion. I try not to, but when we are with my husband's friend's, I am the second largest significant other. The largest, just had a baby, so I don't really count her :p I need to get that out of my head because my husband chose me and has never once compared me to someone else, he always compares them to me!

We all just need to be nicer to ourselves!!
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When he asked to hang out again he said "just the two of us this time". He def knows how I feel ... last time we were out I told him that I was interested in dating him and he said that we were on the same page ... We both got really busy ... He said D is like his family and that he would never date her ... I told him to never put me in the friend/family box and he said I didnt have to worry about that ...

whether he likes me in that way or not ... I enjoy spending time with him and talking to him. I just need to not be so worried about what other people think and just be myself. When i first met him I thought he was married and he thought i was too ... we just hung out and had a good time. When we both found out we werent married thats when i started to see him a little differently.

Im out of my rage phase (being on my peroid really didnt help i am nutzo then) and back to normal ... Its not like there arent several people that are interested in me ... he just happens to be the only one i am currently interested in.

Either way ... this MFP is all about ME ... so that is what i am focusing on ... gotta love me before anyone else will
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    When he asked to hang out again he said "just the two of us this time". He def knows how I feel ... last time we were out I told him that I was interested in dating him and he said that we were on the same page ... We both got really busy ... He said D is like his family and that he would never date her ... I told him to never put me in the friend/family box and he said I didnt have to worry about that ...

whether he likes me in that way or not ... I enjoy spending time with him and talking to him. I just need to not be so worried about what other people think and just be myself. When i first met him I thought he was married and he thought i was too ... we just hung out and had a good time. When we both found out we werent married thats when i started to see him a little differently.

Im out of my rage phase (being on my peroid really didnt help i am nutzo then) and back to normal ... Its not like there arent several people that are interested in me ... he just happens to be the only one i am currently interested in.

Either way ... this MFP is all about ME ... so that is what i am focusing on ... gotta love me before anyone else will

He's sending you mixed signals, imo.
    But whatever, go out, have fun. Whatever happens, happens.
    As long as you're smart enough not to let him play you.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You should definitely let him know that you were only crazy because you were on your period. Always blame Tom. Guys don't know how to counter that.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Boys are Nuts!

Now it would depend on thier relationship if I thought the interaction bt them was weird. Are they good friends/Has she had a disorder or something where he knows she might be insecure? If so, his actions make sense.

Also mesage her ( she seems like she needs a friend) and honeslty if she is sweet and pretty and nice, those qualities are hard to come by in friends.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

This.

It's sounding more and more like he's keeping you on the back burner. A "in case of emergency" gal.

Don't let yourself be that girl.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This.

It's sounding more and more like he's keeping you on the back burner. A "in case of emergency" gal.

Don't listen to her. She's just making a play for your man.

Kyleekay, you'd better check yourself.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

This.

Don't listen to her. She's just making a play for your man.

Kyleekay, you'd better check yourself.

Jof! Don't ruin my plan! :angry:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Idk, he's sounding fishy. Go for the hot chick.