Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. It is different for each person, but in general I feel the more you clean up your diet, the better your body is going to function. I simply don't have the willpower to be 100% clean all the time...I like cheese too much. I am currently maintaining about a 80% clean diet...so that I can have those "treats" every once in a while. But in general...I have more energy, I feel fuller longer, I don't get crazy cravings anymore, and I sleep better. Plus some stomach issues I was having have all but disappeared.

But it is to each their own. However you are accomplishing losing weight/getting healthy/staying fit...as long as you aren't starving yourself (or doing illegal drugs) keep doing whatever works for you!

What the heck is dirty about cheese?

Yeah, I feel like cheese is pretty clean compared to twinkies. :wink:

cheese was meant for men to figure out how to make, but for baby cows to eat...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.

y'all are arguing with a professional here...I'd step away from this one.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't take the "clean eating bashing" personally.

It's primarily the ones who've had difficulties with their weight in the past. They've decided (or are unable) to not give up foods high in fat and sugar (i.e. "junk food"), and due to whatever limited success they've had, believe there is something wrong with those who desire to cut such things out of their diet.

They'll tell you how healthy they are, and talk about their great "blood work."

They'll also ask you to provide "peer reviewed studies" to support your claims that the food you eat can affect your long-term health, while attributing their views to universal truths.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. It is different for each person, but in general I feel the more you clean up your diet, the better your body is going to function. I simply don't have the willpower to be 100% clean all the time...I like cheese too much. I am currently maintaining about a 80% clean diet...so that I can have those "treats" every once in a while. But in general...I have more energy, I feel fuller longer, I don't get crazy cravings anymore, and I sleep better. Plus some stomach issues I was having have all but disappeared.

But it is to each their own. However you are accomplishing losing weight/getting healthy/staying fit...as long as you aren't starving yourself (or doing illegal drugs) keep doing whatever works for you!

What the heck is dirty about cheese?

Yeah, I feel like cheese is pretty clean compared to twinkies. :wink:

LOL...yep...

Definitely cleaner than twinkies...especially if you don't employ the 5 second rule when they get dropped.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That was absolutely beautifully stated OP! :flowerforyou:

You're main reason for "eating clean" is the same as mine:
    For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

I started eliminating as much pre-packaged, processed and overly-refined foods in the spring as a personal choice before I started losing weight, and in a way I think it's helped my weight loss only because I was already becoming more accustomed to having to make food from scratch rather than from a box. I had the same experiences as you - I had more energy, better temperament, better skin, less stomach or digestive related issues, and have only gotten sick once with a fairly mild cold (in comparison with getting terribly sick at least once when each of the seasons changed). It kind of makes me sad that so many people won't give "clean eating" a try (for reasons I don't understand - because it's "too hard?"), because it's really made me feel quite amazing!

I really don't understand why people so severely bash "clean eaters" on here. I see the assumption that they "demonize foods" but I have never met someone who considers themselves to be a clean eater that won't eat X Y and Z on occasion (unless for healthy-related, ethical or religious reasons) - it just makes me assume that if you are a "clean eater hater" that you think that all foods are wonderful and provide amazing nutrition, and all you eat is fast-food and other convenience foods.

Of course what I just tried to demonstrate there is that there are extremes in both cases - yes there are people who will tell you never to eat gluten, or dairy, or only organic, and there are people who are losing weight and/or getting into better physical shape that eat fast-food every single day, but in reality we all sit somewhere closer to the middle of the spectrum. I think that's something that's often forgotten and shouldn't be.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the well thought comment. As an advocate of clean eating, I appreciate it immensely. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    (sigh) Not this again?? :yawn:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

Why does eating twinkies mean you aren't fit?

NO ONE SAID THAT! This is exactly what I'm talking about.

It was implied that eating twinkes = not fit.

Still waiting on the three ways eating clean contributes more to fitness than eating "twinkies" or whatever else does.

It was not implied. You inferred it.

3 Reasons: Meeting your nutritional needs before you eat exclusively snacks is on its face better for you or nutritional guidelines would not exist at all. Twinkies take a great deal of processing and transporting of ingredients to accomplish, which contributes to water and air pollution, neither or which are good for you. Twinkies contain a lot of corn-based ingredients which contribute to the mono-cropping of American and threaten the sustainability of the food system.

Do your own freaking research on Twinkies. You are lazy for making me do it for you.

I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.

perfect example of a post that deserves a cat gif

post-27657-crazy-hat-with-bread-on-head-g-Tnb2.gif

ps - send that federal money you get back to me. I can use it for twinkies.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Wow did you just imply that people who eat fast food are poor and need obama care? Your pretty shallow. Glad i dont know you IRL.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    this place definitely ain't named "MyScienceBasedFactsPal" either

MSBFP.com

You could totally be rich, Bro. Do it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Have we gotten an agreed-upon definition for "Clean Eating" yet? The definition might influence a person's decision to "bash" clean eating.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

I eat a Twinkie almost every day. 14# gone so far...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters are smug. I dislike smug. :grumble:
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I eat a Twinkie almost every day. 14# gone so far...

You go girl...nothing wrong with that!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this so I dont have to haha. I totally agree. Before i started eating "clean" (the best that i can at least) i had so many stomach problems, ate fast food a lot, never went to the farmers market or bought fresh produce, everything was always frozen (not that theres anything wrong with that, but i do LOVE the farmers market, and i am actually spending LESS money than I was before) I am definitately a much happier person than I was at the beginning of the year. I try not to judge what other people eat and it really bothers me that people put down cleaning eating so much.

I feel the same way. Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone. I do eat "nonclean" foods as well occasionally. Had chili dogs this weekend.

Do I think it's necessary for weight loss. No.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what exactly clean eating is defined as specifically... but I feel like offering my two cents:

I am not trying to be one of those snotty people acting like they eat so much better than everyone else... but it really does matter where you get your calories from. My diet is not perfect (I love bread!), but I'm reading this book called Forks over Knives - which is also a documentary - and it's lead me to completely rethink what I eat everyday. I've started doing my own research and I'm experimenting on myself, too. I'm working on cutting out animal products, refined sugars, and overly processed foods and replacing them with plant based whole foods to see how I feel. So far I feel great! No cravings for meat or sugar. I feel very full on a 1,200 a day diet - and that's with running every day! Plus I've lost about 4 pounds since starting this about a week and a half ago.

I'm not trying to DIS anyone for anything they eat, all I'm saying is do some RESEARCH into the things you eat and the effect it could have on your health! Haven't you wondered what it is they stuff inside those Twinkies that make them have such a long shelf life? What could it hurt you to check into it?

Maybe check out some studies done by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. They are the doctors the Forks over Knives book and documentary focus on.

Again, all I'm saying is look into your diet. :)
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Why can't we all just be friends???!!!??? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Seriously, if you want to "eat clean" then by all means, have at it. If it's a sustainable approach for you, kudos. If you don't want to eat clean and are still able to/trying to get healthy, have at it. Kudos!!! You wanna support your local farmers? Awesome!!! You wanna support rich corporate companies? Awesome!!! Who cares?!?!!??!?! Everyone just get over it. Eat however is best for you!!! Stop acting like the way you(general) eat is the only way to eat if you want to be healthy and lose weight/sustain your weight.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters are smug. I dislike smug. :grumble:

I am not smug. LOL.

(still think 68 and getting her workout on is friggin awesone!)
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have we gotten an agreed-upon definition for "Clean Eating" yet? The definition might influence a person's decision to "bash" clean eating.

That's what annoys me the most about it - what even IS clean eating?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I would never bash clean eaters, as long as they do not go out promoting it as if thats the only thing that can cause weight loss. People should follow an approach that suits them and can maintain for a lifetime.
    I know i cannot and i am not willing to eat clean for my lifetime, i will easily go back to my old ways and gain all the weight back, so i allot my calories in such a way that i try to get in whatever i want/can!