Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect example of why people bash "clean eating"...pretty much 95% bro-science nonsense....
    [/quote]

How so?, please elaborate so I can take your comment seriously
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This is a perfect example of why people bash "clean eating"...pretty much 95% bro-science nonsense....

and nearly impossible today..I mean come on what is wrong with homemade pumpkin pie???? or Shredded wheat brown bread????
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    CLEAN EATING

There is no direct definition for "clean eating". Specifically, clean eating is NOT a diet - it is a lifestyle choice. Clean eating is not a new concept, as a matter of fact clean eating has been around for quite some time. Those involved with health, fitness or nutrition from competitors to personal trainers and health conscious individuals have been practicing "clean eating" for years.
    One with many benefits that include:
    Fat Loss
    Weight Loss
    Increased Energy
    Clearer Skin
    Shinier Hair
    Better Sleep
    Increased mental well -being

When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way.

Include meats, however; "whole" meats that you have chosen straight from the butcher or prepared yourself. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually in ground turkey.

Enjoy whole grains - these are grains that are still complete and haven't been broken down in any form. Examples include: brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains. You will have to get used to reading over food labels. Just because a product says its "whole grain" does not mean it is. It also does not mean they have not added a bunch of other ingredients as well.

Eat fewer ingredients - try not to purchase items with more than 4-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. Also, be sure you recognize every ingredient. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body.

Simple Guidelines for Success:
    Eating small frequent meals 5-6 times per day to level blood sugar and prevent hunger
    Include lean protein, complex carbohydrates and heart healthy fats in each meal choice
    Avoid ALL processed and/or refined foods (sugar, baked goods, candies, white flour, white rice, etc)
    Avoid saturated and trans fats
    Avoid sodas, high calorie juices and other drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of unnecessary (unwanted) calories
    Avoid high calorie, non nutritious foods (i.e. junk food)
    Drink at least 8 cups of water per day

How dare you denigrate bro-science by associating it with this nonsense
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What the heck is dirty about cheese?

I know why! Every time I eat cheese it causes my eyes to roll back in my head, my body to shiver, and my toes to curl. Cheese is bad oh so dirty.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this so I dont have to haha. I totally agree. Before i started eating "clean" (the best that i can at least) i had so many stomach problems, ate fast food a lot, never went to the farmers market or bought fresh produce, everything was always frozen (not that theres anything wrong with that, but i do LOVE the farmers market, and i am actually spending LESS money than I was before) I am definitately a much happier person than I was at the beginning of the year. I try not to judge what other people eat and it really bothers me that people put down cleaning eating so much.

I feel the same way. Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone. I do eat "nonclean" foods as well occasionally. Had chili dogs this weekend.

Do I think it's necessary for weight loss. No.
    I am confused. Do you eat chili dogs because they're on the list of foods you consider "clean" (you might make them in such a way that they qualify by the definition you understand), or is this "eating clean" like a person who says he's a vegan, around mouthfuls of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich? Or, do you not eat clean by the definition you understand, but simply felt you wanted to chime in to support those who do?

I do believe I said that I don't eat clean all the time. I just stated that I try to and I feel better when I do. The chili dogs were fun but not for all the time.

And eating clean means you eat things as close to their natural state as possible. I'm not always able to do that. But I do when I can. Why so snarky? Can I not answer the question of the OP? This is what works for me and has nothing to do with fitness.

I am not forcing my ideas on anyone or trying to change anyone.
    All of my questions were sincere; merely since the time I posted it I've seen more than one definition of what qualifies as "clean eating" in this very thread, so it appears that either your definition is merely 'your idea,' or you have a citation (yet to be provided) for your definition being strictly correct that will help clarify the issue for others who would like to understand the topic better.

If you're not trying to force ideas on anyone or change anyone, such as defining 'clean eating' without putting any 'in my opinion' qualifiers on the definition, why are you presenting your ideas on this particular topic, in this particular forum?

LOL. So you want specific scientific studies that prove to you that it makes ME feel good? LMFAO. I think you are reading more into it than is actually there. If I want to make a homemade Grassfed burger Wth do you care.

I do believe you need to read the OP again. I eat this way. I like it. Eat what you want. Who gas?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Include meats, however; "whole" meats that you have chosen straight from the butcher or prepared yourself. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually in ground turkey.

This was my favorite seriously....

I mean come on for me if I were to "define" clean eating it wouldn't be meat from anyone but something I had raised or the "religious" group that lives in town as they don't use hormones etc for their meat/chicken etc...

Try finding meat that doesn't have growth hormones, antibiotics etc in it...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    LOL There is a whole book dedicated to that topic called Twinkie Deconstructed. Read it if you're so inclined.
    Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated into What America Eats Paperback
    by Steve Ettlinger (Author)

Thank-you for this. I am always interested in learning more about our food sources, how they are processed, and what exactly is involved in shipping them thousands of miles. I have cycled between cleaner (not clean) and not so much clean eating. For me, it is about flavor and about not contributing to a system that has been intentionally silent and aggressive about silencing others regarding what is involved in our foods. Then the food industry places blame for increased incidences of illness on lifestyle choices. How do we make these choices, when we do not have enough information? This is a topic that is bottomless and I could go on forever. I suspect others could too.

My food choices are not about my weight loss journey, my portion sizes are. :flowerforyou:

Edited for grammar: I always need a spelling or grammar error in there!
  • hollyanne572
    Options

and nearly impossible today..I mean come on what is wrong with homemade pumpkin pie???? or Shredded wheat brown bread????

Why nearly impossible today?

I eat Organic meat, fruits, vegetables and include as many other organic foods as possible. It's pretty easy if you know where to find it... science nonsense? well I don't have to be a scientist to know that hormones, pesticides and whatever chemically induced engineered digit code number pumped into food is bad for you.

This is not to say that I did not have a magnum ego on the weekend and enjoy every finger licken part of it.

But i try to eat clean as much as possible, but not all the time - Cus life is for living.

SO YOU CAN EAT YOUR FRIKEN FILTHY *kitten* JELLY BEAN!! HAHA :D
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    There's chemicals in the air.........I guess we should stop breathing..........and look for only clean air
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

My food choices are not about my weight loss journey, my portion sizes are. :flowerforyou:

I agree 100% with this
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this so I dont have to haha. I totally agree. Before i started eating "clean" (the best that i can at least) i had so many stomach problems, ate fast food a lot, never went to the farmers market or bought fresh produce, everything was always frozen (not that theres anything wrong with that, but i do LOVE the farmers market, and i am actually spending LESS money than I was before) I am definitately a much happier person than I was at the beginning of the year. I try not to judge what other people eat and it really bothers me that people put down cleaning eating so much.

I feel the same way. Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone. I do eat "nonclean" foods as well occasionally. Had chili dogs this weekend.

I am confused. Do you eat chili dogs because they're on the list of foods you consider "clean" (you might make them in such a way that they qualify by the definition you understand), or is this "eating clean" like a person who says he's a vegan, around mouthfuls of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich? Or, do you not eat clean by the definition you understand, but simply felt you wanted to chime in to support those who do?

I do believe I said that I don't eat clean all the time. I just stated that I try to and I feel better when I do. The chili dogs were fun but not for all the time.

And eating clean means you eat things as close to their natural state as possible. I'm not always able to do that. But I do when I can. Why so snarky? Can I not answer the question of the OP? This is what works for me and has nothing to do with fitness.

All of my questions were sincere; merely since the time I posted it I've seen more than one definition of what qualifies as "clean eating" in this very thread, so it appears that either your definition is merely 'your idea,' or you have a citation (yet to be provided) for your definition being strictly correct that will help clarify the issue for others who would like to understand the topic better.

If you're not trying to force ideas on anyone or change anyone, such as defining 'clean eating' without putting any 'in my opinion' qualifiers on the definition, why are you presenting your ideas on this particular topic, in this particular forum?

LOL. So you want specific scientific studies that prove to you that it makes ME feel good? LMFAO. I think you are reading more into it than is actually there. If I want to make a homemade Grassfed burger Wth do you care.

I do believe you need to read the OP again. I eat this way. I like it. Eat what you want. Who gas?
    If the sentence I bolded is what you got out of my responses, then we have a serious communication issue, perhaps even a language barrier.
  • MstngSammy
    Options

As far as a clear cut definition of clean eating.....I don't think there is one. If there is it will probably change tomorrow. For me....it is what I said.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I eat Organic meat, fruits, vegetables and include as many other organic foods as possible. It's pretty easy if you know where to find it... science nonsense? well I don't have to be a scientist to know that hormones, pesticides and whatever chemically induced engineered digit code number pumped into food is bad for you.

This is not to say that I did not have a magnum ego on the weekend and enjoy every finger licken part of it.

But i try to eat clean as much as possible, but not all the time - Cus life is for living.

Why because unless they are using seeds from a century ago to grow these veggies the seeds are GMO....

"Evidence on substantial differences between organic food and conventional food is insufficient to make claims that organic food is safer or healthier than conventional food With respect to taste, the evidence is also insufficient to make scientific claims that organic food tastes better."

There is a group here that is certified organic and I know for a fact that they have chemists working on bug killers, fertilizers etc all the time...they call it compost tea...even organic you have no idea what is really going in it.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Who dropped the "pal" from the "myfitnesspal"? :smile:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I think people bash it because they can't hack it. It's too 'hard'.
  • hollyanne572
    Options

Why because unless they are using seeds from a century ago to grow these veggies the seeds are GMO....

"Evidence on substantial differences between organic food and conventional food is insufficient to make claims that organic food is safer or healthier than conventional food With respect to taste, the evidence is also insufficient to make scientific claims that organic food tastes better."

There is a group here that is certified organic and I know for a fact that they have chemists working on bug killers, fertilizers etc all the time...they call it compost tea...even organic you have no idea what is really going in it.

Seeds - So your saying that because the seeds and soil are already tainted, we may as well spray pesticide because we are screwed anyway. It's like your saying have a s*** sandwhich and another scoop of s*** on top beacuse your eating it anyway.

^ This is in reference to taste - we all know fatty processed foods taste good, my *kitten* knows this better than anyone.
    But there is substantial evidence which "States" organically farmed food is better for you than processed.

And your right, we have no idea what is really in our food and there sure are companies out there who will just slap an organic sticker on their product even when its not. But this isn't going to stop me from doing my best to try and eat cleaner.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you've seen the Bull****! episode by Penn Gillette on organics, it seems that anecdotally the GMO-food is better tasting than organic food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLAMRQk5I
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone.

How do you NOT get that this is opinion?
  • hollyanne572
    Options
    If you've seen the Bull****! episode by Penn Gillette on organics, it seems that anecdotally the GMO-food is better tasting than organic food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLAMRQk5I

Of course it is, it's not natural!!

We all know that things that are bad for you taste good, otherwise half of us wouldn't be here ha-ha
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Seeds - So your saying that because the seeds and soil are already tainted, we may as well spray pesticide because we are screwed anyway. It's like your saying have a s*** sandwhich and another scoop of s*** on top beacuse your eating it anyway.

^ This is in reference to taste - we all know fatty processed foods taste good, my *kitten* knows this better than anyone.
    But there is substantial evidence which "States" organically farmed food is better for you than processed.

And your right, we have no idea what is really in our food and there sure are companies out there who will just slap an organic sticker on their product even when its not. But this isn't going to stop me from doing my best to try and eat cleaner.
    [/quote]

No what I am saying is that even organic food has lots of processed items in it so that argument is null for it being "clean" per the loose definition given. If you do the research on the organic industry (and I could as my husband worked there) you find out that they tweak stuff all the time and refuse to give out the recipe. Yes their cows were grass fed but they still altered the milk and cheese etc. And the cows did require vet visits to prevent illness etc.

As for the other reference reread please it actually says that there is no evidence that organic is "healthier|
    " or "safer" or " tastes better"