Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why can't we all just be friends???!!!??? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Seriously, if you want to "eat clean" then by all means, have at it. If it's a sustainable approach for you, kudos. If you don't want to eat clean and are still able to/trying to get healthy, have at it. Kudos!!! You wanna support your local farmers? Awesome!!! You wanna support rich corporate companies? Awesome!!! Who cares?!?!!??!?! Everyone just get over it. Eat however is best for you!!! Stop acting like the way you(general) eat is the only way to eat if you want to be healthy and lose weight/sustain your weight.

ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY!!! :drinker:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this so I dont have to haha. I totally agree. Before i started eating "clean" (the best that i can at least) i had so many stomach problems, ate fast food a lot, never went to the farmers market or bought fresh produce, everything was always frozen (not that theres anything wrong with that, but i do LOVE the farmers market, and i am actually spending LESS money than I was before) I am definitately a much happier person than I was at the beginning of the year. I try not to judge what other people eat and it really bothers me that people put down cleaning eating so much.

I feel the same way. Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone. I do eat "nonclean" foods as well occasionally. Had chili dogs this weekend.

Do I think it's necessary for weight loss. No.
    I am confused. Do you eat chili dogs because they're on the list of foods you consider "clean" (you might make them in such a way that they qualify by the definition you understand), or is this "eating clean" like a person who says he's a vegan, around mouthfuls of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich? Or, do you not eat clean by the definition you understand, but simply felt you wanted to chime in to support those who do?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I take a shower every day. Now I eat clean. :bigsmile:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you're not washing your foods before you cook, then you eat dirty.

"Clean Eating" is BS. You have a liver and kidneys which "clean your system. The same goes for "Detoxing" your body. Bunch of crap. While they "work" they do more harm. Do your research.

If you want to "eat clean" then eat foods without the processed crap. Easy peasy.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I feel left out, we don't have Twinkies here! ;-(
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods because it means I can eat more food and feel full longer. I don't know if I would consider my diet "clean", because I feel like the definition of clean eating is ever changing... organic, paleo/primal, blah, blah, etc, etc.

For the sake of this post I'm going to refer to those who eat processed food and fast food "dirty" eaters" -- not because I feel that they are dirty, so don't jump down my throat.

The reason the "dirty" eaters and the "clean" eaters have so much animosity towards one another is because of the limitless condescension both sides display. The "my way is the only way" attitude is elementary and ridiculous.

I've seen many "dirty" eaters claiming that eating fried/processed/fast food that is calorically equivalent to whole foods is no different for your body and that there is no real health benefits to eating whole foods. Come on now... really? I mean, seriously?

What works best, is what works best FOR YOU. If you are able to stick to your calorie allotment and eat what you like, then YAY! Whatever you are able to maintain in the long run is always best.

I couldn't care less about how you or anyone else eats. I care about how I eat and how my son eats. I like eating what I consider healthy foods because it makes me feel good and I feel like I am teaching my son how to have a healthy relationship with food.

OP, I thought your post was well written and has inspired me to look into local farmers markets.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this so I dont have to haha. I totally agree. Before i started eating "clean" (the best that i can at least) i had so many stomach problems, ate fast food a lot, never went to the farmers market or bought fresh produce, everything was always frozen (not that theres anything wrong with that, but i do LOVE the farmers market, and i am actually spending LESS money than I was before) I am definitately a much happier person than I was at the beginning of the year. I try not to judge what other people eat and it really bothers me that people put down cleaning eating so much.

I feel the same way. Eating "cleaner" makes me feel better. It's not for everyone. I do eat "nonclean" foods as well occasionally. Had chili dogs this weekend.

I am confused. Do you eat chili dogs because they're on the list of foods you consider "clean" (you might make them in such a way that they qualify by the definition you understand), or is this "eating clean" like a person who says he's a vegan, around mouthfuls of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich? Or, do you not eat clean by the definition you understand, but simply felt you wanted to chime in to support those who do?

I do believe I said that I don't eat clean all the time. I just stated that I try to and I feel better when I do. The chili dogs were fun but not for all the time.

And eating clean means you eat things as close to their natural state as possible. I'm not always able to do that. But I do when I can. Why so snarky? Can I not answer the question of the OP? This is what works for me and has nothing to do with fitness.

I am not forcing my ideas on anyone or trying to change anyone.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    this place definitely ain't named "MyScienceBasedFactsPal" either

MSBFP.com

You could totally be rich, Bro. Do it.

Hmmmm..... It just so happens that I'm in the market for a new url right now.

*opens new tab and checks go daddy *
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.
    No it doesn't. And that's why people rip on clean eating.
  • MstngSammy
    Options

"Clean Eating" is BS. You have a liver and kidneys which "clean your system. The same goes for "Detoxing" your body. Bunch of crap. While they "work" they do more harm. Do your research.

If you want to "eat clean" then eat foods without the processed crap. Easy peasy.

That is what I mean by clean....non processed. I don't get where ppl are talking about cleanses and stuff. Lol. Is this the enema thread? Whoops my bad lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Define clean...I mean I eat about 4-6 servings of veg per day...a couple servings of fruit...lots of lean protein and healthy fats and cook primarily from scratch whole ingredients...but *gasp*

Rachel-gasp.gif

I eat a particular marinara sauce that I don't make homemade for convenience and a quick pasta dish...I drink low sodium, but highly processed v8 juice..i eat Coach's Oats rather than spending hours preparing steel cut...sometimes I have one of those salmon burgers that are in the freezer section at Costco when I'm short on time. Sometimes I make my own beans from scratch but other times I just eat canned beans. I don't make my own yogurt...I buy the processed stuff that comes in a little tub...same for all of my dairy...I mean, I don't own dairy cows or goats.

On top of all of that dirty *kitten* **** I like to have ice cream for desert on occasion...maybe some pie...I really like jelly beans too...and gummy bears...all frackin' filthy *kitten* ****.

So...again...how do we define "clean" vs "dirty?" Are my Coach's Oats filthy dirty food? Let's here it OP, where does one draw the line...I mean obviously it's not good enough to eat a well rounded balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods...you're a filthy animal if you pop a jelly bean.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

That is what I mean by clean....non processed. I don't get where ppl are talking about cleanses and stuff. Lol. Is this the enema thread? Whoops my bad lol

where do you draw the line at "processed"...how exactly are the black beans in a can so much filthier than if I spent all day making my own black beans? When it comes down to it, everything has some, at least, minimal processing just to get it to your store.
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have tried clean eating (Ashy Bines), and nutritionally speaking eating whole foods which have not been processed or pumped with other s*** is far more beneficial for you, but you can do this just as easily while on MFP. Reason being that when you eat, a signal is sent to your brain to say that your feeding the body. If you eat a highly processed food with very low "real" nutritional value, this signal is still sent to the brain... your body will start working to pull nutrients from and digest the food...but wait there is very little nutritional value in this food and it will take what it can, generally FAT. The body then sends another signal to the brain to say that there was very little nutrition in that food and the brain tells your stomach that you are hungry again.

When you get the rumbly belly or the hunger pans, this is your body saying your hungry...FOR NUTRITION - not for empty calories.

If you intake empty calories or highly processed foods, your likely to feel hungry more often than not because your body is craving nutrition.

Hope this all make sense :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Don't take the "clean eating bashing" personally.

It's primarily the ones who've had difficulties with their weight in the past. They've decided (or are unable) to not give up foods high in fat and sugar (i.e. "junk food"), and due to whatever limited success they've had, believe there is something wrong with those who desire to cut such things out of their diet.

They'll tell you how healthy they are, and talk about their great "blood work."

They'll also ask you to provide "peer reviewed studies" to support your claims that the food you eat can affect your long-term health, while attributing their views to universal truths.

Wow just wow

Where is the pop corn.

ETA: Clean eating means deprivation...deprivation leads to binging on whatever it is you "can't" have...which leads to failure...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I do believe I said that I don't eat clean all the time. I just stated that I try to and I feel better when I do. The chili dogs were fun but not for all the time.

And eating clean means you eat things as close to their natural state as possible. I'm not always able to do that. But I do when I can. Why so snarky? Can I not answer the question of the OP? This is what works for me and has nothing to do with fitness.

I am not forcing my ideas on anyone or trying to change anyone.
    All of my questions were sincere; merely since the time I posted it I've seen more than one definition of what qualifies as "clean eating" in this very thread, so it appears that either your definition is merely 'your idea,' or you have a citation (yet to be provided) for your definition being strictly correct that will help clarify the issue for others who would like to understand the topic better.

If you're not trying to force ideas on anyone or change anyone, such as defining 'clean eating' without putting any 'in my opinion' qualifiers on the definition, why are you presenting your ideas on this particular topic, in this particular forum?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just want someone to clearly define what eating clean means?

As far as I see it that means the absence of pathogenic microbes and/or feces.

All food is technically processed be it mechanical or chemical otherwise we'd be kind of not living, so I'm just unclear what do people mean.
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    CLEAN EATING

There is no direct definition for "clean eating". Specifically, clean eating is NOT a diet - it is a lifestyle choice. Clean eating is not a new concept, as a matter of fact clean eating has been around for quite some time. Those involved with health, fitness or nutrition from competitors to personal trainers and health conscious individuals have been practicing "clean eating" for years.
    One with many benefits that include:
    Fat Loss
    Weight Loss
    Increased Energy
    Clearer Skin
    Shinier Hair
    Better Sleep
    Increased mental well -being

When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way.

Include meats, however; "whole" meats that you have chosen straight from the butcher or prepared yourself. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually in ground turkey.

Enjoy whole grains - these are grains that are still complete and haven't been broken down in any form. Examples include: brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains. You will have to get used to reading over food labels. Just because a product says its "whole grain" does not mean it is. It also does not mean they have not added a bunch of other ingredients as well.

Eat fewer ingredients - try not to purchase items with more than 4-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. Also, be sure you recognize every ingredient. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body.

Simple Guidelines for Success:
    Eating small frequent meals 5-6 times per day to level blood sugar and prevent hunger
    Include lean protein, complex carbohydrates and heart healthy fats in each meal choice
    Avoid ALL processed and/or refined foods (sugar, baked goods, candies, white flour, white rice, etc)
    Avoid saturated and trans fats
    Avoid sodas, high calorie juices and other drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of unnecessary (unwanted) calories
    Avoid high calorie, non nutritious foods (i.e. junk food)
    Drink at least 8 cups of water per day
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I just want someone to clearly define what eating clean means?

As far as I see it that means the absence of pathogenic microbes and/or feces.

All food is technically processed be it mechanical or chemical otherwise we'd be kind of not living, so I'm just unclear what do people mean.

Chicken breast that is organic or not full of antibiotics -- clean
    Chicken nugget -- not

There is no exact definition of clean eating... the concept is constantly evolving. From whole foods, to organic foods, to paleo/primal. Blah, blah, blah.

Who really knows? :yawn:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.

Come on seriously OP did you type that....for shame.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    CLEAN EATING

There is no direct definition for "clean eating". Specifically, clean eating is NOT a diet - it is a lifestyle choice. Clean eating is not a new concept, as a matter of fact clean eating has been around for quite some time. Those involved with health, fitness or nutrition from competitors to personal trainers and health conscious individuals have been practicing "clean eating" for years.
    One with many benefits that include:
    Fat Loss
    Weight Loss
    Increased Energy
    Clearer Skin
    Shinier Hair
    Better Sleep
    Increased mental well -being

When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way.

Include meats, however; "whole" meats that you have chosen straight from the butcher or prepared yourself. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually in ground turkey.

Enjoy whole grains - these are grains that are still complete and haven't been broken down in any form. Examples include: brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains. You will have to get used to reading over food labels. Just because a product says its "whole grain" does not mean it is. It also does not mean they have not added a bunch of other ingredients as well.

Eat fewer ingredients - try not to purchase items with more than 4-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. Also, be sure you recognize every ingredient. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body.

Simple Guidelines for Success:
    Eating small frequent meals 5-6 times per day to level blood sugar and prevent hunger
    Include lean protein, complex carbohydrates and heart healthy fats in each meal choice
    Avoid ALL processed and/or refined foods (sugar, baked goods, candies, white flour, white rice, etc)
    Avoid saturated and trans fats
    Avoid sodas, high calorie juices and other drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of unnecessary (unwanted) calories
    Avoid high calorie, non nutritious foods (i.e. junk food)
    Drink at least 8 cups of water per day

This is a perfect example of why people bash "clean eating"...pretty much 95% bro-science nonsense....