are you counting calories on thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And logging every bite is not something that's feasible for the rest of your life.
    Why? Is brushing your teeth not feasible for the rest of your life? Or wiping your butt?

ChallengeAcceptedBlackTextSS.png
    The biggest difficulty is in getting someone to post "I told you so" on your behalf after you die.

I see a business idea here. Pay a small amount now (and/or a larger amount at a later time) to ensure certain communications are sent at certain milestones of your life (such as your death).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    And logging every bite is not something that's feasible for the rest of your life.
    Why? Is brushing your teeth not feasible for the rest of your life? Or wiping your butt?

The biggest difficulty is in getting someone to post "I told you so" on your behalf after you die.

Will you always have access to MFP? Will you always know every calorie of every bite in your body? And when somebody asks you to try something that you have no clue what it is, how do you log it?

And what does brushing my teeth or basic grooming and hygiene have to do with having access to a website? Seriously, if you NEED to log everything that ever goes into you for the rest of your days, you're not solving the problem. You're treating the symptom, not the problem. Using a system such as this to log is to get you into the habit of making overall healthier choices that you don't need to track. I've lost 135 lbs, and I've kept it off for nearly a year now while mostly not logging a single thing and just making habits of what I was using while I was logging. Seriously, what are you SOLVING by living your life by a food log? you're not. You're using a teaching tool to keep you in line for the rest of your life. You're not fixing what's really wrong.

Somebody brings something sweet and tasty into work one day as a treat for the office. No clue what it is, but it looks good. I ask them what it is, it's something I can't even pronounce from their home country or something. How do you log it? You just eat it, you don't stress, and you know that in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    are you counting calories on thanksgiving?

No. I rarely even count on weekends.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Will you always have access to MFP? Will you always know every calorie of every bite in your body? And when somebody asks you to try something that you have no clue what it is, how do you log it?

And what does brushing my teeth or basic grooming and hygiene have to do with having access to a website? Seriously, if you NEED to log everything that ever goes into you for the rest of your days, you're not solving the problem. You're treating the symptom, not the problem. Using a system such as this to log is to get you into the habit of making overall healthier choices that you don't need to track. I've lost 135 lbs, and I've kept it off for nearly a year now while mostly not logging a single thing and just making habits of what I was using while I was logging. Seriously, what are you SOLVING by living your life by a food log? you're not. You're using a teaching tool to keep you in line for the rest of your life. You're not fixing what's really wrong.

Somebody brings something sweet and tasty into work one day as a treat for the office. No clue what it is, but it looks good. I ask them what it is, it's something I can't even pronounce from their home country or something. How do you log it? You just eat it, you don't stress, and you know that in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter.
    I'm in no danger of trying unknown foods. Not interested in the least. Trust me, I don't even need to see it to tell you it doesn't look good.

Logging allows me to eat the amount that is right for me. My hunger/full signals are not reliable for that. Just like some people need corrective lenses to be able to read, and some people need crutches to be able to walk.

And I'm not talking about literally every single bite ever. (I don't even do that now.) I'm talking about continuing to count calories/macros every day for the rest of my life.

And I don't need a website to count, I was doing counting and addition for decades before I ever had internet access. It's really not that hard to count. My three year old can already count to two hundred, and the four year old can count to a quadrillion. I'm pretty sure I won't be eating more than a quadrillion calories in a day.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm doing Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. So Thanksgiving itself will be just another day.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm probably just going to count Thanksgiving as my weekly no count day.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Free Day
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sure, always
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow I am impressed with the people who are bringing scales to the table. I am going to my sister's place for the first time and if I brought a scale she would beat me up (hides from his sister as she is on MFP also). I will estimate to some reasonable degree as to what I eat and be glad it is close enough. My goal is to be close for the week not for the day. Besides I will need those extra calories to be able to push my way through the lines the next day ;).

Enjoy your holiday, try not to over stress it. Look at the big picture rather than 1 day. And 1 day off my plan has never caused me to do another soon after.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I'm in no danger of trying unknown foods. Not interested in the least. Trust me, I don't even need to see it to tell you it doesn't look good.

Logging allows me to eat the amount that is right for me. My hunger/full signals are not reliable for that. Just like some people need corrective lenses to be able to read, and some people need crutches to be able to walk.

And I'm not talking about literally every single bite ever. (I don't even do that now.) I'm talking about continuing to count calories/macros every day for the rest of my life.

And I don't need a website to count, I was doing counting and addition for decades before I ever had internet access. It's really not that hard to count. My three year old can already count to two hundred, and the four year old can count to a quadrillion. I'm pretty sure I won't be eating more than a quadrillion calories in a day.

Could I count? Sure, if I had any clue what was in what I just ate. Not always a possibility. Especially when going out to small family owned restaurants with their own unique recipes for things, or dessert dishes I've never heard of in my life, things like that.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't have a problem that needs solving...

...well, I mean, related to what I eat.

I track to ensure I am hitting my minimum protein and fat targets and to get a general idea of how much I'm eating...and when I want to reduce my weight, I know when to stop eating. If I go by feel, I'm all over the place...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not how I do things.

Besides, my consistent food and weight logs let me calculate an estimate of my TDEE and see how it moves over time. I find that fascinating.

But don't misinterpret how I do things as a prescription for how I think others should do it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I'm going to count them, and I'll laugh as I blow through all of my "limits" and eat whatever I want. One day won't kill me, or even appreciably slow down my efforts... Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

However, I plan to wear stretchy pants that day and enjoy some good food.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I will NOT track a thing. Since this is a lifestyle change, this 1 day a year will not break the lifetime of food choices.
    The problem for me is, Thanksgiving is "one day" and Christmas is "one day" and then there is my birthday, Independence Day, vacation.... you get the idea. All those "one days" add up. I gave up pigging out 365 days a year.
  • Twinkielingus
    Twinkielingus Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking and doing a ton of planning ahead of time for healthier alternatives. I know if I let this one day go, I will go on a bad cycle until New Year.....blah.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Aye. I've actually gotten into a habit of not overeating over the past year on MFP, so I'm not afraid of accidentally stuffing myself with 9000+ calories. So I'll eat it, log it, and work it off later.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm eating everything and anything on the table. when people aren't looking im gonna steal turkey and mashed potatoes from their plates. Im gonna drink the gravy straight from the gravy boat. I am going to have no regrets.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think I have no choice but to not bother logging. I will have little to no control over what dishes are being served and won't have a clue what all is really in them. My scale will be feet from the table but useless without knowing what is in what.

Plus some of my family already teases me about counting calories, weighing food, etc... and I don't really want to hear it that day when the whole family is there.

I predict a "Quick add calories" = 1500 and simply not completely stuffing myself.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think I have no choice but to not bother logging. I will have little to no control over what dishes are being served and won't have a clue what all is really in them. My scale will be feet from the table but useless without knowing what is in what.

Plus some of my family already teases me about counting calories, weighing food, etc... and I don't really want to hear it that day when the whole family is there.

I predict a "Quick add calories" = 1500 and simply not completely stuffing myself.

I would propose that's probably because you're a 6' adult male who currently weighs 158...

...but since I'm a 6' male who weighs 170 and diligently tracks his food too, it would probably seem hypocritical for me to propose that...

...so I won't.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I would. but since everything is homemade and I don't have the recipe... i fear it will be impossible.

I will just try to keep it in moderation.

Or maybe quick add "3000" to my log for the day!

*edited for typos ect