The thread where people give really bad running advice!

Options

Replies

• wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wool is the best material for running clothes.
    I actually do wear wool socks, gloves, hat, and cowl when I'm running in really cold weather.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When racing go out as fast as possible. Everyone knows positive splits are the way to go.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You don't need water on race day. You don't want to get over-hydrated do you?
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you run with a buddy, but both of you should wear earbuds, jack your music up, then talk about the other runners like no one can hear you. So awesome.

Yes, I ran past these people and yelled, "Everyone can hear you!" The look on their faces was priceless!
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    No matter how awesome they tell you Bodyglide is, don't buy into the hype. It's like a pyramid scheme... you only hear about the benefits but never actually see them. :wink:
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Alternate 1 minute of running with a slice of pizza. Repeat until sick. Cardio benefits, flavours and no calories digested...instant win.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you're young enough, you don't have to train for a race. You'll be fine because you're young and healthy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I actually do wear wool socks, gloves, hat, and cowl when I'm running in really cold weather.

Wool was the original technical wear because of its wicking properties. It's just so darn expensive.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    No matter how awesome they tell you Bodyglide is, don't buy into the hype. It's like a pyramid scheme... you only hear about the benefits but never actually see them. :wink:

LOL!

Bump to read all of these later
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Run backwards. It's faster. Or maybe that's just for me?!?
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't pace yourself, and if someone tries to pass you, block them with your elbows!

Also, be sure to flail your arms, as the increased motion will improve your inertia, making you faster!

But try not to lift your knees, the lower the better!! You don't want them to get too far away from the ground! You're running for SPEED!
    Upper body motion = good.
    Lower body motion = bad.

If you can, try and coat your muscles with oil before the race. Not only will this help you be more aerodynamic, your muscles will look like they are tanned and toned instantly!

Be sure to eat a big meal and drink a lot of water right before the race so you have proper nutrition and hydration. You won't want to carry those things in your hands while you're running, so why not carry them in your stomach? That way you don't have to bring extra!

If it's going to rain, wear as little as possible!! You don't want the extra weight to slow you down! Your muscles will warm themselves.

Remember, run as hard as you can right away to get ahead of the pack. Positive splits are GOOD, negative splits are BAD, obviously. Positive is good, negative is bad, remember this quick tip and you are sure to have a successful race.

If you can, get a group of friends near the finish line to yell your name and cheer for you as LOUD AS POSSIBLE. This will help you run faster (even though you'll already be at the front). Even better, be that guy who brings the cowbell and rings it constantly. It really sets the mood for everyone to be as enthusiastic as possible!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't a thin person, make sure you wear those really tight, ultra form fitting pants or shorts.
  • Kblackm
    Kblackm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    be sure to stop within the first 100m because you want to go out really too fast. (just plan on getting bumped or knocked over.)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    In really big races, where you are elbow to elbow in the beginning, don't be afraid to rough up your fellow runners with some elbows and trips to create some space around yourself.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lean back and run on your heels.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Wool was the original technical wear because of its wicking properties. It's just so darn expensive.
    I'm a knitter, so I make it all myself. A little cheaper, and that money counts towards my entertainment budget as well. :-)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Positive is good, negative is bad, remember this quick tip and you are sure to have a successful race.

:laugh:

:drinker:
  • EniBee
    EniBee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you're a girl, don't wear a sports bra. The bigger your chest size is, the better. Let them flap with the wind.

Lol!
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's all about the shoes. Take a look around at the fastest runner in your neighborhood and wear the same shoes they have on.

For instance, I live in the country and the fastest runner in my neighborhood is a four year old gelding at the neighbor's farm. The ferrier looked at me all crazy when I asked him to nail some horseshoes to my feet, but I just know once the bleeding and horrific pain stops, I'll be the fastest girl at the race!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    When you're just starting out running, make sure you up your distance as fast as possible. Why would you bother running 3kms when you are capable of running 10km out right.

Yes you definitely should run through that pain in your knees/shins, don't worry about seeking medical advice. It'll go away eventually if you stop being a pu$$y and just push through it