Women, why must it be so?

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    This was a joke, but as a woman, I too get frustrated with the stereotypes.

Women are catty
    Women are too emotional
    Women need to cook, clean, raise the kids,
    Women need to cater to their males.

blah blah...

I am not catty. I am probably not emotional enough. I'm not married, but I do have a bf and I do NOT clean up after him and I won't. He can do that s*** himself just like I clean up after myself.

I am educated and have my own career, and although nothing is wrong with being a stay at home mom, that will not be happening. We will split our duties equally. I will take care of my future husband as long as he takes care of me :) I think it is important that both sexes "do their part" when it comes to making a relationship work. Whatever that is should be left up to them to decide. I think the stay at home mom thing was more common when men were in the workforce more and women didn't have decent jobs. Now that more women are getting their educations and entering the workforce, things have changed.

That being said, I make dinner for him all the time, and do other nice things for him. But I ain't no damn maid lol.
    7MitvWz.jpg

Oh look, more stereotypes!! Yesssss
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Faulty math.

The LOVE of money = root of all evil (not money itself)

Carry on.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to date different women...

:noway:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I believe more women in western society are agiant feminism than for feminism because they can see how sexiest feminism actually is. :tongue:

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I see how sexist feminism is... just read HALF of what the troll posts!
    If feminism is done right it's not sexism. Not all people that call themselves feminists are the same. Obviously.

Times have changed. The issues that feminism deals with are not the same as they used to be. It's still important to have support in place where needed. And in many other parts of the world, women are not treated equally.

Yes, but I don't think this thread is referring to women in other parts of the world.
    Mind you, I only know a handful of feminists and everything that they talk about leads BACK to the early 1900s.
    With what issues (that feminists are "dealing with") are you referring?

I'm just speaking as someone that has been through sexual violence as a child and I work alongside women and men to continue helping with domestic and sexual violence, so in that context I see a lot of feminism and where it has helped and where it continues to help when these issues arise. But, I think we have made a ton of progress. And I also work along side people that do help in other countries for women's issues. I'm just not in any need to throw any allies away. But, we really do work as women and men for women and men. And for gaining support for other countries it is done through mobilizing girls in programs such as Because I am a Girl (as one of many examples).

what is "Because I am a Girl?"

I was involved in WISE (women in science and engineering) for awhile. That was such a wonderful experience working with little girls to improve their ability in science and math.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Current issues that WOMEN are dealing with:
    We still get paid, on average, less than men for doing the same job. $0.77 for every dollar a man gets.
    Women are more likely to be valued on appearance than men. How many girls would rather be "hot" (i.e. do-able by men) than smart or successful?
    Engineering and math fields are still only 15% women.
    Women are still referred to as "crazy" when emotional.
    The "women are catty and hate each other" jokes that pit woman against woman. Other women are not "competition" for men's attention which we might see if we were taught to care about things other than getting attention from men.

But like a previous poster pointed out, men also are held back by stereotypes and discrimination. Men are raised to be "tough" and shut out their emotions, to stay away from "girly" fields like teaching, nursing or art.

But like I said, it's something to be aware of and try to make changes within our own lives. Arguing about it over the internet doesn't accomplish anything.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I believe more women in western society are agiant feminism than for feminism because they can see how sexiest feminism actually is. :tongue:

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I see how sexist feminism is... just read HALF of what the troll posts!
    If feminism is done right it's not sexism. Not all people that call themselves feminists are the same. Obviously.

Times have changed. The issues that feminism deals with are not the same as they used to be. It's still important to have support in place where needed. And in many other parts of the world, women are not treated equally.

Yes, but I don't think this thread is referring to women in other parts of the world.
    Mind you, I only know a handful of feminists and everything that they talk about leads BACK to the early 1900s.

I'm just speaking as someone that has been through sexual violence as a child and I work alongside women and men to continue helping with domestic and sexual violence, so in that context I see a lot of feminism and where it has helped and where it continues to help when these issues arise. But, I think we have made a ton of progress. And I also work along side people that do help in other countries for women's issues. I'm just not in any need to throw any allies away. But, we really do work as women and men for women and men. And for gaining support for other countries it is done through mobilizing girls in programs such as Because I am a Girl (as one of many examples).

what is "Because I am a Girl?"

I was involved in WISE (women in science and engineering) for awhile. That was such a wonderful experience working with little girls to improve their ability in science and math.

That one is through Plan international. http://becauseiamagirl.ca/ (this is in Canada)

That wise program sounds great!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

We still get paid, on average, less than men for doing the same job. $0.77 for every dollar a man gets.
    Women are more likely to be valued on appearance than men. How many girls would rather be "hot" (i.e. do-able by men) than smart or successful?
    The "women are catty and hate each other" jokes that pit woman against woman. Other women are not "competition" for men's attention which we might see if we were taught to care about things other than getting attention from men.

But like a previous poster pointed out, men also are held back by stereotypes and discrimination. Men are raised to be "tough" and shut out their, emotions, to stay away from "girly" fields like teaching, nursing or art.

But like I said, it's something to be aware of and try to make changes within our own lives. Arguing about it over the internet doesn't accomplish anything.

Thanks for explaining this.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

But like a previous poster pointed out, men also are held back by stereotypes and discrimination. Men are raised to be "tough" and shut out their, emotions, to stay away from "girly" fields like teaching, nursing or art.

Yeah, awareness is what is key here. Not blatant hosility.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

But like a previous poster pointed out, men also are held back by stereotypes and discrimination. Men are raised to be "tough" and shut out their emotions, to stay away from "girly" fields like teaching, nursing or art.

Actually if you come to the table with a valid points like you have, it makes people think. Unlike Determined_erin's approach which was to call men "stupid" right of the bat and continue to belittle everyone's points, that doesn't accomplish anything. Makes me just want her to make me a sammich... :-)
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    funny-picture-dont-try-to-understand-women-women-understands-women-and-they-hate-each-other-600x460.jpg

so so so true:laugh:

I know this is supposed to be a silly thread, but this is one of my least favorite stereotypes so I want to counter it. I organize a women's policy conference and am part of many workgroups, volunteer organizations, and research teams that are made up of almost entirely women. The hallmarks of all of these groups: awesome problem solving, mutual support, and teamwork. IMHO, any woman who thinks women "hate eachother" should look at what she herself is putting out into the world.

I cant even comment on this....I love women-and I love my friends-but sweetie-if you think for once second a girl will say she loves you on second and then tell your other friend what a ***** you are-then I don't know-maybe you need to watch a little more Real Housewives?

I'm not quite clear on what you were trying to say with this sentence, but I think you're implying that I am naive. I'm sure that some women in my networks dislike me, just as I don't like every woman I know. I also don't gossip or call them names, because I don't think those are productive ways to handle disagreements or personality conflicts. It is actually very possible to surround yourself with people who can communicate honestly and respect each other. I'm not sure how old you are, but I hope as you gain more life experience your social life will not resemble reality television. That sounds terrible.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Actually if you come to the table with a valid points like you have, it makes people think. Unlike Determined_erin's approach which was to call men "stupid" right of the bat and continue to belittle everyone's points, that doesn't accomplish anything.

Yeah, I agree!!!
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    Options

rR8wozH.gif
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know this is supposed to be a silly thread, but this is one of my least favorite stereotypes so I want to counter it. I organize a women's policy conference and am part of many workgroups, volunteer organizations, and research teams that are made up of almost entirely women. The hallmarks of all of these groups: awesome problem solving, mutual support, and teamwork. IMHO, any woman who thinks women "hate eachother" should look at what she herself is putting out into the world.

Accurate.

The problem is that society plays with everyone's heads. Tells everyone that stereotyping is okay, and that it's not important for us to listen to problems (like the stereotypes in this thread) and listen to *each other*. Society tells men that it's okay to tell women to go make them a sandwich as a "joke." It's all ridiculous.

Innacurate.

I can joke about it without believing it. I can also take a joke without getting offended by it. Not everything is to be taken seriously.

Congratulations on not being offended by an offensive joke. The problem is that it reinforces that it's actually okay to treat women this way. Even if YOU wouldn't, others would and that makes those others think it's okay.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options

The issues that men face are also a result of the patriarchy. It works against everyone.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Yes women get paid less then men when you dont factor in hours worked, time off to raise children, and the fields women tend to go in pay less. In our society we have freedom, there is no one stoping anyone into going in fields like engineering except themselfs. So saying women get paid $0.77 to every doller a man makes is a half truth, a half truth is just as bad as a lie. To skew information in favor of your argument is very bias.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    We're much too complex for any man to understand. :wink:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

Yes women get paid less then men when you dont factor in hours worked, time off to raise children, and the fields women tend to go in pay less. In our society we have freedom, there is no one stoping anyone into going in fields like engineering except themselfs. So saying women get paid $0.77 to every doller a man makes is a half truth, a half truth is just as bad as a lie. To skew information in favor of your argument is very bias.

The whole getting paid .77 on the dollar is for doing the exact same job, not a lower paying career
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

See? And apparently some men would rather be "hot" than smart too.... :wink:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

The whole getting paid .77 on the dollar is for doing the exact same job, not a lower paying career

If that were true, then why would employers not just hire women if they can save over 20%? What you stated is not valid or correct.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

If that were true, then why would employers not just hire women if they can save over 20%? What you stated is not valid or correct.

LOL, OK
This discussion has been closed.