Does quality of food matter if you remain within calories?

Options

Replies

• nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    What is this, a spelling test, who cares ? there is plenty of science to back what Im telling u, but none to back what you are telling me, calorie counting DOESNT WORK.. Period. I'm talking long term not "biggest loser" short term crash yo-yo dieting. try to learn how ALL animal biology works, when food is scarce they GAIN FAT, when its abundant they LOSE fat. but you have to read something other than "bodybuilding.com" to learn.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you a definite answer. I am not an expert, I don't know anything actually, but I can give you my opinion. One day, won't impact long term goals. You may not see anything change this week, because you may have knocked out your deficit, but the long term will be fine.

My experience is that if its a long term thing, if you eat junk everyday, even if you are within goal, yes it will impact it. I honestly believe now that this is why I haven't met my goal of 20% body fat. I eat junk food pretty much every day. I think it has hindered me a lot.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What is this, a spelling test, who cares ? there is plenty of science to back what Im telling u, but none to back what you are telling me, calorie counting DOESNT WORK.. Period. I'm talking long term not "biggest loser" short term crash yo-yo dieting. try to learn how ALL animal biology works, when food is scarce they GAIN FAT, when its abundant they LOSE fat. but you have to read something other than "bodybuilding.com" to learn.
    It's not about the "spelling test". It's about you posting WALLS of unreadable text. But hey, go for it. A few folks will try to talk with you, briefly. You're not challenging anyone's "belief system", just their ability to read a foot long sentence.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    I ONLY logged on here to let you know how RIDICULOUS you all sound to someone who knows how the body works and maybe plant a seed to stop the "calorie brainwash" out there. call me what u will, just proves how "Juvenile" you are, you give nothing but personal attacks like a professional keyboard expert. its fine, stay in the dark and just think you know, imagine how dumb you will feel when 5-10 years from now they are telling EVERYONE in the media that calories DONT MATTER. mark my words.
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No offense or anything, but if counting calories doesn't work, then why are there so many members on here alone that have lost tons of weight and are maintaining it?
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    enjoy your "ignorance forum", obviously no one here is open minded.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Best of luck kiddo.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    o-O
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Best of luck kiddo.

Indeed. Graduating from high school is so hard
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    For health, yes.

For weight loss, depends. If you have an endocrine disorder like diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc., then the kind of food you eat is extremely important. Otherwise, no, junk food does not affect weight loss.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a biology major....animals don't count calories, but animals only eat when hungry not out of boredom or to socialize like people do. They also don't have access to junk food, which was the original question of this post, I believe.

Feed a dog or cat table scraps, limit their physical activity, they will absolutely get over weight. You don't gain fat when calories are scarce, I wish that were true, then when I was pregnant and vomiting 40 times a day I would have put on weight instead of having a feeding tube inserted to save myself and the baby from kidney failure. How's that for biology.

Should people starve themselves to lose weight? No. But not because a calorie deficit will make them gain, I think starvation mode is a joke, but because if they can't maintain it they'll just put it back on. Calories in must be less than calories out, you can't argue with that no matter how many times you use the word biology. Oh, "biology" I see quotations are big for you.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    they may "lose weight and maintain it" for a little while, maybe a few years, by continuing to eat like birds, keeping metabolism down and over time, creating various nutritional deficits, low energy, cold hands and feet, etc, then one day they will start slipping on their "diet", and they WILL regain ALL their weight plus more, this is already an easy fact to find anywhere, that 95% of all calorie based weight loss methods fail. its too bad most people on here are too worried about my grammar than what my words are saying, they could learn something. go to the local CF Box and ask the athletes how many calories they eat a day, you will get one of a couple answers, either " I don't count them", or it will be above 2,500 for even women, or more. the only people who count calories are the media and the "weight loss" Industry, the athletic community rarely counts them. also, you all think you can be accurate but what you don't know is that all food labels calorie counts are up to 25%+/- and none of the calorie counters that measure your "Burn" daily are even that accurate, so you all could be off by 500 or even 1,000 cal/day and never know it, thinking you are within 10 cal balance. sorry but the average body consumes one million calories per year, yet their weight changes very little, it can auto-regulate caloric intake and expenditure with about 99.5% accuracy BY ITSELF, much more accurate than any human can about manually.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    they may "lose weight and maintain it" for a little while, maybe a few years, by continuing to eat like birds, keeping metabolism down and over time, creating various nutritional deficits, low energy, cold hands and feet, etc, then one day they will start slipping on their "diet", and they WILL regain ALL their weight plus more, this is already an easy fact to find anywhere, that 95% of all calorie based weight loss methods fail. its too bad most people on here are too worried about my grammar than what my words are saying, they could learn something. go to the local CF Box and ask the athletes how many calories they eat a day, you will get one of a couple answers, either " I don't count them", or it will be above 2,500 for even women, or more. the only people who count calories are the media and the "weight loss" Industry, the athletic community rarely counts them. also, you all think you can be accurate but what you don't know is that all food labels calorie counts are up to 25%+/- and none of the calorie counters that measure your "Burn" daily are even that accurate, so you all could be off by 500 or even 1,000 cal/day and never know it, thinking you are within 10 cal balance. sorry but the average body consumes one million calories per year, yet their weight changes very little, it can auto-regulate caloric intake and expenditure with about 99.5% accuracy BY ITSELF, much more accurate than any human can about manually.
    Oh goody! Another wall of text to not read.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You will be fine! I eat cookies or ice cream or some other type of treat daily. It hasn't hindered my weight loss and my health is improving daily. Allowing for treats in your diet help to sustain this lifestyle, if I didn't I would have quit long ago. Don't worry about it, the big question was did you enjoy them :)

Well said!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No one cares about what you are saying because it is not true. Mostly everyone on this site has lost weight AND kept it off by counting calories.

Oh also, I have a friend who plays for the Giants and he counts calories so your little theory that athletes don't count calories is complete BS. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eating within your calories will cause you to lose weight. End of conversation on that note.

Regularly eating refined sugar, often accompanied by refined flour and fat, but not necessarily, will give you deficiencies in many nutrients. You'll get sick. There is truly no fiber, no potassium to speak of, all sorts of important nutrients missing in the foods you listed in the original post.

I treat myself here and there by eating sweet things (containing white flour, refined sugar). But overall, I eat quite healthily.

Are you saying that refined sugar (and flour and fat) as the main part of your diet will lead to deficiencies (and illness) or are you saying that even moderate amounts if eaten regularly will?