Does quality of food matter if you remain within calories?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    enjoy your "ignorance forum", obviously no one here is open minded.
    Adios

That awkward moment when someone flounces and shows back up
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    Im sorry "biology major" ( be such I know you will be close minded to this but its typical), YES , when calories drop in the fall , they actually become insulin resistant to conserve the little glucose they have for their brains and their Leptin also drops, increasing fat storage enzymes as well as shedding muscle protein to produce glucose as well. low leptin lowers thyroid output dropping metabolic rate up to 40%, causing the body to be able to actually STORE fat tissue/energy for when Winter comes and there is even LESS food, the body composition shifts to being a higher % body fat with lowered caloric intake. take simple survey, use women because they are the most likely to be on a reduced calorie "Diet", as obese and thin alike how many calories they eat, I've done this and what I have found is that the obese eat between 500 - 1500 calories and the thin/ fit eat well over 2200 and most don't even count yet report they "Eat like horses", sometimes "more than their male partner". sorry but normal college biology won't teach u this, u must read books and studies by doctors who have done their own post med school research and found the "truth", and if you think what they taught u in college biology is the "truth" you are yet naive, it works different in real bodies than in textbook "theory".
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Sam-and-Cat-awkward-GIF_zpsec091c62.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    they may "lose weight and maintain it" for a little while, maybe a few years, by continuing to eat like birds, keeping metabolism down and over time, creating various nutritional deficits, low energy, cold hands and feet, etc, then one day they will start slipping on their "diet", and they WILL regain ALL their weight plus more, this is already an easy fact to find anywhere, that 95% of all calorie based weight loss methods fail. its too bad most people on here are too worried about my grammar than what my words are saying, they could learn something. go to the local CF Box and ask the athletes how many calories they eat a day, you will get one of a couple answers, either " I don't count them", or it will be above 2,500 for even women, or more. the only people who count calories are the media and the "weight loss" Industry, the athletic community rarely counts them. also, you all think you can be accurate but what you don't know is that all food labels calorie counts are up to 25%+/- and none of the calorie counters that measure your "Burn" daily are even that accurate, so you all could be off by 500 or even 1,000 cal/day and never know it, thinking you are within 10 cal balance. sorry but the average body consumes one million calories per year, yet their weight changes very little, it can auto-regulate caloric intake and expenditure with about 99.5% accuracy BY ITSELF, much more accurate than any human can about manually.

lol

I absolutely do not eat like a bird, nor is my metabolism bad. In fact, I have maintained on 2,500 calories with no cardio or significant activity outside lifting.

You say that calorie counting does not work - what exactly are you saying works as I am finding your posts very very hard to read. Paragraphs and proper sentence structure are your friend when trying to get a point across. I do not really care about your spelling or grammar, other than the fact that your posts are very very hard to read - which is doing yourself a disservice if you are trying to make a point.

Basically, whether or not you count calories or not, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    I said MOST athletes, not ALL athletes, seems you need more reading comprehension. maybe calorie reduction can be "worked" for a long time, but its NOT the "right" or "healthy" way, its not a NORMAL thing to do. tell me genius…..do you think our Great great great grandparents even knew what a calorie was ?, no, they ate REAL food, in only THREE meals a day and sometimes TWO and they were active and stayed thin, and we are more active now because they generally didn't go to gyms and work out like people do now. oh and studies show that those in hard labor jobs and more poor they are were more fat than those in office jobs who made more money. quality of food matters more than quantity. you can tell me what I say is "Not true", but thats just an opinion, you have no idea what is true obviously, you only see the tip of this nutrition iceberg and thing you see it all, I'm trying to show you whats "under the water", but hey, keep a closed mind, I'm sure that will work out well for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Holy irony batman!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I said MOST athletes, not ALL athletes, seems you need more reading comprehension. maybe calorie reduction can be "worked" for a long time, but its NOT the "right" or "healthy" way, its not a NORMAL thing to do. tell me genius…..do you think our Great great great grandparents even knew what a calorie was ?, no, they ate REAL food, in only THREE meals a day and sometimes TWO and they were active and stayed thin, and we are more active now because they generally didn't go to gyms and work out like people do now. oh and studies show that those in hard labor jobs and more poor they are were more fat than those in office jobs who made more money. quality of food matters more than quantity. you can tell me what I say is "Not true", but thats just an opinion, you have no idea what is true obviously, you only see the tip of this nutrition iceberg and thing you see it all, I'm trying to show you whats "under the water", but hey, keep a closed mind, I'm sure that will work out well for you.

Who exactly are you talking to?
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    ok, I dare you to experiment, if you eat "real food", and balanced meals, eat only enough grams of carbs a day to replenish glycogen lost, INCREASE everything else besides carbs, eat as much as u can, do HIIT cardio and lift and I promise the more food you eat the leaner you will get. will you take this challenge ? prob not, fear will likely stop you from trusting me.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Im sorry "biology major" ( be such I know you will be close minded to this but its typical), YES , when calories drop in the fall , they actually become insulin resistant to conserve the little glucose they have for their brains and their Leptin also drops, increasing fat storage enzymes as well as shedding muscle protein to produce glucose as well. low leptin lowers thyroid output dropping metabolic rate up to 40%, causing the body to be able to actually STORE fat tissue/energy for when Winter comes and there is even LESS food, the body composition shifts to being a higher % body fat with lowered caloric intake. take simple survey, use women because they are the most likely to be on a reduced calorie "Diet", as obese and thin alike how many calories they eat, I've done this and what I have found is that the obese eat between 500 - 1500 calories and the thin/ fit eat well over 2200 and most don't even count yet report they "Eat like horses", sometimes "more than their male partner". sorry but normal college biology won't teach u this, u must read books and studies by doctors who have done their own post med school research and found the "truth", and if you think what they taught u in college biology is the "truth" you are yet naive, it works different in real bodies than in textbook "theory".

So I got overweight by not eating enough? I must be eating more now, because I'm losing weight. :huh:

I get through the first two lines before my eyes cross from run-on sentences, lack of capitalization, and bad grammar. Although doing all that still wouldn't make you right...
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    sorry but at that moment someone respectfully asked me a question, instead of just being ignorant like most of you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ok, I dare you to experiment, if you eat "real food", and balanced meals, eat only enough grams of carbs a day to replenish glycogen lost, INCREASE everything else besides carbs, eat as much as u can, do HIIT cardio and lift and I promise the more food you eat the leaner you will get. will you take this challenge ? prob not, fear will likely stop you from trusting me.

No, your lack of making a coherent point is stopping us from trusting you.

Also, how do you know how many carbs you need to replace lost glycogen>?

Can I drink a bottle of oil on this plan?
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    Only if you want to be healthy. Weight loss has nothing to do with how healthy you are. Quality of food does. It also affects performance (I got into triathlons after losing 100+ lbs).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Actually, you said "the athletic community rarely counts them." So no, you didn't say "MOST athletes." Therefore, I think you are the one who needs to brush up on your reading comprehension, sentence formation, paragraph formation, and grammar.

You clearly skipped one too many English courses. Too busy with science courses and becoming an expert on nutrition and insulin resistance, right?
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you are gonna call "BS" on REAL biology…..you should at least try to provide reason why Im wrong…..i doubt u can give me anything close to this but u can try. biology is not negotiable….animals don't count calories yet maintain healthy weight. The human body is an Auto-regulating system and for you to "think" you can control it manually shows your lack of knowledge on the subject and your human arrogance in believing you can control the uncontrollable.

Let's be serious here. If I am on a bulking diet by eating 5500 calories a day I gain weight. I've done it many times. If I calories restrict especially with carbs restriction, I get lean and defined. It's pretty well accepted in the scientific field that over eating calories will result in weight gain(at least with most people).

Second point. Animals in the wild work for EVERY calorie they get. When they cannot feed themselves they starve and lose weight. If they cannot get enough calories they do not have the energy to compete in the wild and they die. No disputing this. It's fact. Animals do not maintain healthy weights if you give them unlimited supply of foods. My last dog ate until he looked like a barrel with legs because he didn't have to compete for food. Lab rats grow big as well when given unlimited foods.

So I don't quite understand where you logic is coming from by looking at your statements.

If you are saying macros have a lot to do with body compostion then I agree with you. But pretty much every person that has ever lost weight does it on a calorie deficit.

I count every single calorie and carb. It's the only way I can keep looking lean for extended periods of time.

Food is a tool. You eat for a purpose. If you want to get strong you eat to get strong. If you want to be lean, you eat to be lean.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Holy irony batman!

z205099164.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I have a BMR of 1707 (determined through an oxygen consumption test) so no, of course I'm not going to take on your "challenge" and eat 2500+ calories because I know damn well I will gain weight- whether I eat whole foods or junk food.

By the way, I already eat strictly whole foods (Mediterranean diet, low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat) due to insulin resistance and hypoglycemia.

In other words, your theory has been debunked.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sorry but at that moment someone respectfully asked me a question, instead of just being ignorant like most of you.

:huh: Did he just put us on hold or something? :laugh:
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    haha, still the personal attack when you can't even respond with anything approaching intelligence, so focused on my grammar. your a big girl I'm sure you can figure out what I'm saying, even if I scrambled each words letters your brain could understand and make sense of it. but no, you may not have become fat by eating less initially, most likely it was from sugar and soda and processed food consumption, then you went on a diet, lost weight, lowered metabolism and then gained it all back then dieted again, its a result of chronic diet cycling and the rebound fat gain from lowering you metabolism. if you eat 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life, I guarantee that you would slowly lose muscle (LBM) and gain Adipose tissue even with no change in weight, you will keep a set point weight but your composition WILL change. you keep focusing on telling me I'm wrong instead of actually looking into it. hell try reading the books I mentioned, "The Calorie Myth", "The Fat Switch" etc, you say that "Starving isn't the answer" but you think that mild starving is ok, you make no sense. even the World Health Organization says that 1800 cal/day for women and 2200 cal/day for men are semi deprivation/mild starvation diets. thats the least even a 75 year old healthy woman should be eating, 1800 cal/day. anyway, I figured you would be closed minded based on your college "biology major", you are just like a Doctor who thinks they already know all and could NEVER be wrong, haha, I've met plenty like you , doctors SO smart they count unlock their office door, lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

ron-burgundy-big-deal_zpsb14d04e7.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    haha, still the personal attack when you can't even respond with anything approaching intelligence, so focused on my grammar. your a big girl I'm sure you can figure out what I'm saying, even if I scrambled each words letters your brain could understand and make sense of it. but no, you may not have become fat by eating less initially, most likely it was from sugar and soda and processed food consumption, then you went on a diet, lost weight, lowered metabolism and then gained it all back then dieted again, its a result of chronic diet cycling and the rebound fat gain from lowering you metabolism. if you eat 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life, I guarantee that you would slowly lose muscle (LBM) and gain Adipose tissue even with no change in weight, you will keep a set point weight but your composition WILL change. you keep focusing on telling me I'm wrong instead of actually looking into it. hell try reading the books I mentioned, "The Calorie Myth", "The Fat Switch" etc, you say that "Starving isn't the answer" but you think that mild starving is ok, you make no sense. even the World Health Organization says that 1800 cal/day for women and 2200 cal/day for men are semi deprivation/mild starvation diets. thats the least even a 75 year old healthy woman should be eating, 1800 cal/day. anyway, I figured you would be closed minded based on your college "biology major", you are just like a Doctor who thinks they already know all and could NEVER be wrong, haha, I've met plenty like you , doctors SO smart they count unlock their office door, lol

You need to learn how to reply to people's posts so that we know who you are talking to. Click the "quote" button on their post and voila.