Why Dieting is the Worst Way to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Rake leaves, mow the damn lawn, shovel snow, repair a fence, climb up on the roof and clean out the gutters... the list goes on and on.
    All great exercise.

Not exercises. Those are chores. Sure you may get a slight calorie burn doing them but let's not try to call them exercises.

To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. :huh:
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Ah, more gymrat/"nutrition" evangelism. Fail. :huh:

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:
    Looking amazing and being physically amazing are the same thing. While I don't doubt that you did it without exercise, don't think that doing it that way was a better way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

But here's the rub...
    One does not have to be "physically amazing" to be fit.
    If my goal was to be "physically amazing", then I would "train" like an athlete to reach a particular goal... "train" my muscles to lift a certain amount, etc.

And I realize that it's your bread and butter here, but it gets annoying, honestly, to have gym people always beating us over the head to "get in the gym and hit the weights" or you'll be "skinny fat"...
    that's absolute crap.

Rake leaves, mow the damn lawn, shovel snow, repair a fence, climb up on the roof and clean out the gutters... the list goes on and on.
    All great exercise.

Frankly, I'm tempted to tell people who want to tell me to "get in the gym" to "get out and do some manual labor"

My workout regimen is "take the stairs two at a time" and "park far away from the entrance". :bigsmile:

Holy *kitten*....all in one day? You're an animal.

I forgot "crack pecans with my thighs" and "make pralines with cracked pecans" :laugh:

Mmmmm, pecan pralines...:heart:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    All great exercise.

Not exercises. Those are chores. Sure you may get a slight calorie burn doing them but let's not try to call them exercises.
    Not "exercises" in terms of having to execute perfect form, but it's still physical activity that can be demanding. I know this full well from shoveling snow.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:
    Looking amazing and being physically amazing are the same thing. While I don't doubt that you did it without exercise, don't think that doing it that way was a better way.

IDEA Fitness member

But here's the rub...
    If my goal was to be "physically amazing", then I would "train" like an athlete to reach a particular goal... "train" my muscles to lift a certain amount, etc.

And I realize that it's your bread and butter here, but it gets annoying, honestly, to have gym people always beating us over the head to "get in the gym and hit the weights" or you'll be "skinny fat"...
    that's absolute crap.

All great exercise.

Frankly, I'm tempted to tell people who want to tell me to "get in the gym" to "get out and do some manual labor"

My workout regimen is "take the stairs two at a time" and "park far away from the entrance". :bigsmile:

Yep. Hear me roar. :bigsmile:

dinasour-roar.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    All great exercise.

Tell ya what; do those things... rake the leaves in an average sized lawn then follow up with push-mowing the lawn without the self-propelled feature.

see what you say then, k?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    All great exercise.

There are some physical laborers who do heavy "chores" all day and they look just as good as some professional athletes.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    All great exercise.

I wouldn't call it a "slight" calorie burn. When I used to wear my BMF, I'd get a TDEE of about 2200 while at work and 2900 when doing "chores" all day on the weekend. 700 isn't "slight". Lifting weights burns about 100 calories. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis is a very important part of health, fitness and weight loss and shouldn't be neglected. Also, I don't work out to "burn calories". I work out to increase strength, preserve muscle, and improve cardio endurance.
  • Siansonea
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But here's the rub...

that's absolute crap.

All great exercise.

Yep. Hear me roar. :bigsmile:

dinasour-roar.gif

I'm more velociraptor than T. Rex, but yeah, that's the basic idea. :bigsmile:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    All great exercise.

Not "exercises" in terms of having to execute perfect form, but it's still physical activity that can be demanding. I know this full well from shoveling snow.

IDEA Fitness member

sorry I unloaded on you.
    you're actually a good one.

And for someone not seeking "perfection", it's a damn good "chore" , huh?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So, an obese person walking to the other side of the room is considered to be exercising then? It's a physically demanding activity for some.

No, that's not exercise. "Physically demanding" does not correlate well with calories burned, especially at poor levels of fitness.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

By current north american standards, that already puts you in the 90th percentile.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    All great exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

So, an obese person walking to the other side of the room is considered to be exercising then? It's a physically demanding activity for some.
    Lol, put an extra 80lbs on your back and do the same and tell me that's not demanding. An obese person is toting around "resistance" that their body isn't meant to carry. That's why many are always tired, have joint issues, etc. Walking for them would DEFINITELY be exercise although it would have to be more than just walking across a room once in awhile.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Siansonea
    Options

By current north american standards, that already puts you in the 90th percentile.

What can I say? I'm an overachiever. :bigsmile:
  • Hornsby
    Options

29df78f1430ed195a09efd9cd6215e66f0a117b1140c8270d9e278cdb44278f4.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Again, exercise is a physical activity that is done in order to become stronger and/or healthier. Walking to the freezer to get another pint of ice cream or shoveling snow, while physically demanding for some, still not exercise. One is done done because ice cream is fantastic and the other is done because they can't afford to winter in a warmer climate.

So if one chooses to shovel snow specifically for the "exercise" aspect even though they can afford to winter in a warmer climate, then it's exercise?
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But here's the rub...

that's absolute crap.

All great exercise.

Ditto but only every other day for me, no need to over do things. The other days I have my minions carry me on a golden throne.

Look, sticking to a sensible calorie deficit, eating sufficient protein to maintain muscle and being reasonably active in everyday life is all thats required to lose fat and look great. Skinny fat and osteoporosis are not inevitabilities of doing this. There's absolutely no need to be lifting trucks and running marathons unless you want to. Implying otherwise is precisely what overwhelms some people from attempting to lose weight in the first place. It's how much you're eating that ultimately matters.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Again, exercise is a physical activity that is done in order to become stronger and/or healthier. Walking to the freezer to get another pint of ice cream or shoveling snow, while physically demanding for some, still not exercise. One is done done because ice cream is fantastic and the other is done because they can't afford to winter in a warmer climate.

nope.
    Exercise is body or mental exertion. The "in order to become stronger and/or healthier" is optional.

" the other is done because they can't afford to winter in a warmer climate."
    WOW. Wrong again.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

What if you choose to shovel your own driveway because you want the 'exercise'?

You absolutely become stronger doing some chores, and I'd say shoveling snow is one of them. Or trying to hang on to a horse's hoof between your knees while it is doing everything in its power to remove said hoof. Quite the core workout!

You seem to have a curiously narrow definition of exercise. :huh:

ETA: Spelling and grammar sucked!