Did losing the weight make you look older or younger?

Options

Replies

• michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I feel a couple decades younger..
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I look a lot younger now than I did ten years ago. I was mistaken for late 20s in my teens but could probably pass for early-to-mid-20s now.
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think I look older when I lose.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Younger - but I also have a tendency to be more happy and energetic...so it enhances the younger feeling/looking.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I look like I'm 15/16 (younger than I am) and my hands are like the ones of a 30 year old woman. I'm the kiddo with the witch hands, y'all watch out! *pseudo-magic-hand-wiggles*
    Losing the weight definitely made me look younger.
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, and I feel that my body looks younger, although saggier, no one can tell in clothes...however the lines in my face are appearing more than ever. I always felt that the extra fat kept my lines plumped out.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    People think I look younger, although I am noticing more wrinkles. I think we are critical of ourselves though. I'm 37 but have others guess my age to be late 20s, early 30s.
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic to me right now. I have lost 19 pounds since September, but in the past week [after years of consistently being called "ma'am"] I was called "miss" by 3 different strangers. I also had several high school/college friends comment on brand new facebook photos this week suggesting that they think I have not aged much in 25-30 years.

As others have said, it may be due to feeling so energetic and alive, that I feel decades younger and perhaps that projects outward. I also drink lots of water!!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think my figure looks younger definitely - I've lost nearly 3 stone, and look much less matronly now! And I feel a lot fitter, and more youthful. So my face probably looks younger because I have a bigger smile.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My mom had her dermatologist tell her, "waist or face, you can't have both", so he was clearly of the opinion that some extra fat helps plump out wrinkles. I also remember reading an article somewhere that said under a certain age fat made you look older but over a certain age it made you look younger. I don't know how much stock to put into that though, I have no idea where or when I read that so it could have been some rubbish magazine read while sitting in an airport. Personally, I've seen it go both ways.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A coworker who is in her 60's looks much older when she loses weight... she also does the stupid HCG diet and basically starves herself.

I look younger (I'm 48) when I lose weight but I don't get sickly skinny. I workout with weights and still make sure I eat.

When I'm done losing the last 40 lbs, I'll do a before and after photo.

I say, lose weight slowly and in a healthy way. Drink lots if water and be healthy, not skinny.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My wife says I look older but everybody else says younger.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    For me....looking back at my "fat" girl pics.....I look much younger now.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think it depends in your age, and how well your skin has aged. I think if you are older (over 60) you will (in general) look slightly older, but it depends where you lose weight from.

No generalities from the younger set please. Losing weight has made me look younger. A lot younger.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon the person. I know that most people who don't know me and didn't know me as I gained, and then lost, weight think I am about 10 years younger than my actual age. I know I feel better than I did 10 years ago and am certainly more athletically fit than10 years ago.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think many, many things go into the mix. I've always been told I look younger than I am, fat or thin. I HOPE it stays that way.
    I think how fast you lose can make a big difference too. I just saw a cousin for the 1st time since she dropped over 100lbs very rapidly (surgery). She's eight years younger than me and looks 10 years older! You just never know!
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    I think a lot of different factors come in to play here. My dad tells me I look a lot younger with my weight loss, and at 32 I was carded the other day. My friend who is the same age as me lost 40lbs and looked much older at first, but now that the skin on her face is tightening up so she looks closer to her age.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't usually make people look older until they get down to low, or very low, body fat. Anyway, if you've got 100 pounds to lose, your health comes first.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how many people remarked about how much younger I looked. Part of it has to do with age I think. At 45, I'm at an age where I reflect my lifestyle choices; no youth remains for me now. Friends that are a couple years younger than I am but aren't taking care of themselves now look much older than I do. Sobering and encourages me to keep focused and working hard
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Much younger in my case. I can pass for my 18 year old daughter's big brother at the moment. Good for me, bad for her.....lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!