Did losing the weight make you look older or younger?

Options

Replies

• janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm being told younger.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look older. Overall, from a distance, I'd say younger, but the weight loss in my face has made me look a little older.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My plan is to be one of those women who gets whistled at from the rear, and then scares the crap out of teenage boys by turning around and being old enough to be their grannies. I hope it doesn't happen for at least another 20 years. It sets a good example for taking care of the things that you can take of in life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Neither for me...I look like I'm pushing 40 and I am...the difference was that last year at this time I looked like a 38/39 year old who was fat and out of shape and not very healthy. Now I look like a 39/40 year old that is strong, confident, healthy, and fit.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask...so I like to just think that I look "BETTER!" :D
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i look older but feel younger.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I think if you're younger, you're more likely to look younger when you lose weight, maybe because being bigger can make some people look more mature. I felt more "matronly" when I was bigger.

I think that if you're older, you're more likely to look older when you lose weight, because you lose that youthful plumpness, particularly in the face.

That rule doesn't seem to work for everybody, though!

Personally, I think I look older after losing the weight :sad: . But then, I AM older, and I suppose looking older has to happen at some time!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Younger, I went from looking my age or older then my age to looking about 10-15 yrs younger. I was told by a complete stranger a few months ago when I went to buy some wine that I looked 12 yrs old. I wasn't wearing makeup, think that was it. Which is why I wear makeup more now then ever before, and I still look young but not as young as I do without it.

I'm 31 and everyone who asks me how old I am drops their jaw when I tell them, I've had people ask me for my ID. I have 16 year old and 17 year boys trying to pick me up lol, which just happened the other day and I laughed so hard.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40# and my face (I think) looks older now. The fat must have been pushing the wrinkles out :/
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I'm 31 and everyone who asks me how old I am drops their jaw when I tell them, I've had people ask me for my ID.

I've had that happen too, but I think they're just trying to get my address.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think if you're younger, you're more likely to look younger when you lose weight, maybe because being bigger can make some people look more mature. I felt more "matronly" when I was bigger.

I think that if you're older, you're more likely to look older when you lose weight, because you lose that youthful plumpness, particularly in the face.

That rule doesn't seem to work for everybody, though!

Personally, I think I look older after losing the weight :sad: . But then, I AM older, and I suppose looking older has to happen at some time!

well put. I think that having a matronly figure is a big part of my looking older. Hopefully losing that and gaining muscle will help. And feeling younger can't hurt. And if I do look older then so be it. At least I'll live to be as old as Iook.

Thanks all!
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and people tell me I look 10 years younger. I feel 20 years younger, though, so I guess that's what counts!! :happy:
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My plan is to be one of those women who gets whistled at from the rear, and then scares the crap out of teenage boys by turning around and being old enough to be their grannies.

this would be awesome! and hysterically funny!:laugh:
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and will be 61 in a few days and although I think I look older, my nail tech and hair dresser all freak out at how much younger I look. My colleagues also say this and they all put me at no older than 45. (Btw-the picture on here is from the beginning and I have not taken a new one yet.) Some of it is just good genes as my Dad is a **** Clark type and just does not seem to age! But I seriously think a lot of it is slow weight loss (it has taken 16 months to lose this much and I have about 12 more pounds to go) eating good food with good cardio exercise that gets super blood flow to the skin and drinking no less than 64 ounces of water a day. I have always worn an spf (as high as I could find) face cream since I burn when sun even streams in my widow!!! :blushing: Obviously, that also has helped, but everyone I know who has crash dieted to lose fast looks older. I suspect we can minimize the damage by losing slow, but some people have so much to lose that they may not be able to recover from all the skin stretching and loss of fat that filled out the wrinkles. :ohwell:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't usually make people look older until they get down to low, or very low, body fat. Anyway, if you've got 100 pounds to lose, your health comes first.

This.

It's important to lose weight that's over your normal weight range. But getting to very low body fat can age some women. Their faces look gaunt. It reminds me of something I read.."“At a certain stage in life, a woman has to choose between her face and her *kitten*. You can have a pretty face and a big *kitten*, or you can have a tight *kitten* and a face like Skeletor.”
  • JakesMina
    Options
    I will be 60 years old next week and achieved my goal of losing 60 lbs before turning 60. I still have about 20 more lbs to lose for my final goal. My face was the first to show my weight loss, but in all honestly, I think I look older now. My face looks like it is melting from all the loose skin puddling around my neck and jawline. I have a lot of loose skin everywhere, as you can imagine, and hope to get some plastic surgery to get rid of all the excess. I think if I had done this when I was even 10 years younger, it wouldn't have been a problem for my skin to recede with the weight loss. One of the earlier posts I saw said to lose weight when you are younger because of the elasticity factor and I am so with her. I am glad I am doing this for my health, but, ugg, I should have done it sooner.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think I look older... I usually think people look younger after they lose weight though. Regardless, people always look and feel better when they lose the extra weight and get fit :)
  • slimintraining
    slimintraining Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing about losing weight will be you will FEEL ten years younger! and not give a fig what you LOOK like 'cos you feel so great!

This!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight made me go from looking much older than my age to much younger than my age and I was recently getting hit on by High School football players and told them I have no desire to be a pedo.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Younger. Everyone thinks I'm the youngest sibling & I'm the oldest of 5! no matter if you end up looking older or younger, you will be healthier, which is most important! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!