Did losing the weight make you look older or younger?

Options

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think it makes me feel younger so I look younger.

I agree with this :) I think I look younger than I did - see profile pic... but the biggest comment I get is that I look happier, which to me is a way better complement!
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There is a balance. If you get too thin, some of the fat that sort of plumps up skin can make you look older. However, if you are significantly overweight, I think you will always look younger after weight loss.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight made me go from looking much older than my age to much younger than my age and I was recently getting hit on by High School football players and told them I have no desire to be a pedo.

You without a doubt look younger from your picture!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I am 58, and my round face has made folks gasp when I told them I have a daughter 34 years old.
    After losing 45 pounds or so, some parentheses are beginning to appear on my cheeks.
    I moisturize like crazy, ALL OVER, and hope that time will rearrange
    the smaller quantity of fat to make my face look at least 10 years younger than my age.
    I plan to tell folks that I'm 35 years old, but that I've had a hard life.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think it makes me look and feel:happy: younger, because, I feel weight loss takes years off me.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Younger. They've started asking me for ID again at the liquor store and I'm 33!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like to think I look younger.

<---- Only 3 months difference here
  • teacuplady
    teacuplady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say in my case it's making me look older but at my stage of life I have to look at my health rather than just looks (unfortunately). That doesn't mean I like it!!! :grumble:
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    errrr I never thought I looked younger or older after my weight loss, just brighter lol ^_^
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I think I notice lines on my face way more now but most people comment on how young I look. Are they just being nice? I have no idea. I went to see a plastic surgeon regarding skin removal and he told me that I do not have the face of a woman that used to weigh almost 400 pounds...so...I had to show him pictures. The rest of my body...well that's where all of the work needs to be done! I have to agree that it probably depends on the person!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Menopause turned me into a freak of nature. I menopaused at age 53. Within 3 years, my hourglass figure became distorted beyond recognition. I did not gain any weight. I have never been pregnant. Suddenly, I had a matronly body-- a flat butt and a fat waist and midriff. I looked deformed. My normal weight was 135 and my measurements 38-28-38 before menopause destroyed my figure. I wore size 8 jeans. When menopause demolished my figure, I went on a diet. I lost 27 pounds and measured 35-27-33 at 108. I wore size 4 jeans. It was a huge trade-off. My face looked the same; however, my upper arms were covered with deep corrugated wrinkles, my midriff and waist and stomach looked like seersucker, my butt hung in wrinkled folds just like wrinkled clothes. My body looked overall much older after the weight loss. My skin never snapped back. Now, I am 61 and intentionally gaining weight. I am back to the matronly blob, in the 120s (I am 5' 3 1/2") and now my arms are smooth again and my belly, midriff and waist, distended by fat, are smooth. I am going to see whether my butt will ever look human again if I gain a few more pounds. I truly feel enormous because my waist is only 5 inches less than my hips. I hope I do not have to return to the 130s to iron out these butt wrinkles. Even then, it might not work.:noway:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I look older. I've always looked younger than I am, and still do, but I think I look closer to my age now. Definitely not so much of a baby face having lost a lot of fat in my cheeks. Fine lines also showing a lot more (but that could be coincidence and they were going to show up now anyway!)
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Younger - I got carded the other night when I was walking into a bar.. At 33, I almost wanted to hug the door guy lol
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask...so I like to just think that I look "BETTER!" :D

That's what I'm going for...better!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I believe if you keep your body fat % at a healthy number, not on the super low end, and stay hydrated, you will look younger. If you have too little body fat or are not adequately hydrated, your appearance can suffer and you may look older than you really are.

For example, without enough body fat, your veins will be more pronounced in your arms, legs, and extremities, just as they tend to be in an elderly person. Without adequate hydration, your skin will likely be more saggy and not as elastic, so your weight loss may result in loose skin where it may not have if it was properly hydrated.
  • 0161colin
    0161colin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!
    I think the best thing about losing weight will be you will FEEL ten years younger! and not give a fig what you LOOK like 'cos you feel so great!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For example, without enough body fat, your veins will be more pronounced in your arms, legs, and extremities, just as they tend to be in an elderly person. Without adequate hydration, your skin will likely be more saggy and not as elastic, so your weight loss may result in loose skin where it may not have if it was properly hydrated.
    Regular exercise made my veins more pronounced, long before I approached any kind of leanness. :ohwell: And not having as much fat to prop it up made my skin more saggy and elastic despite plenty hydration. :sad: :drinker: But, yeah... fat levels definitely make a difference to how much older you look especially the older you actually are. I'd happily inject a little more fat back into my cheeks. :smile:
  • Flubbermum
    Options
    I think it depends on your age. Looking at your face, I don't think you look older than your years. However, I think that people sometimes associate weight issues with older people and subconscioulsy make assumptions about aged based on that. I've also noticed that younger people who are overweight don't (generally) dress their age as young fashion doesn't cater for larger sizes and isn't designed for fuller figures: younger people are therefore perceived as looking younger when they lose weight. When you reach my age (50), excess weight does tend to disguise the wrinkles so losng the weight generally makes our faces look their age: I'm hoping that when I lose weight I will have more clothes options so can dress a little younger to detract from the more wrinkly appearance I'm expecting!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been told I look like a teenager again :blushing:
    I've had teens eyeball me quite a bit too :noway: :noway:

I don't currently look like I do in my profile pic though, that was 30#'s ago :smokin:
    I'm due for an 'after' pic:smokin: for sure!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes, hydration is key at any age. If I do not consume enough sodium to hold water in my body, the tissues in my face and breasts shrink and I look 100 years old. I make a point of getting enough salt so that I retain water. My face ages by 50 years if I get dehydrated due to lack of salt- my eyelids bug out, nose looks sharp, my lips thin and whole face looks hollow, and breasts shrivel. :noway: Salt is my miracle drug! I also slather on petroleum jelly (my miracle potion!) all over to hydrate the surface of my skin. It appears to plump out some of the wrinkles. The only problem I ever had with veins was whenever I was enough overweight to make my breasts too heavy-- I developed dark blue veins like a road map, but the veins went away when I lost those few extra pounds.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!