WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Meg - I will miss your reports about the students. How do I get the baking done? I try to figure out what I'm going to need and make one (maybe two) things a day. Now that I think of it, what I should really have done was taken 1/2 of the brownie, 1/2 of the cake and 1/2 of the chocolate chip cookies that I took to Jessica's for Thanksgiving. At least we'd have something. Oh well...lesson learned for next year. That was such a wonderful thing you did for that latch-key kid. Congrats on being able to wear that skirt. You never know what you can find in your closet....lol

margaretturk - what a lovely goal to add a piece of straw, and what a great RAK you did

AnnCaroleOne - glad to hear you're better, that is horrible that you had to go back to the hospital.

Speaking of hospitals -- just to let you know, we still haven't been reimbursed from insurance for Vince's hospital stay in Switzerland. Maybe in a century or so we will

Joyce - so glad you're back! Vince has had to do that 24 hour urine colecting thing, too. They were checking his creatine level. Are they checking yours?

grandmalle - oh that is so terrible about the orthodontist. And so young, too! And on top of that, at this time of year!

Did an hour of a Jari Love Get Ripped Slim and Lean DVD today. Tomorrow I'll go to the deep water class. But first I'll take my aluminum to the Humane Society

Right now I'm roasting a spaghetti squash. I'm thinking that I'll have some with my dinners.

Was emptying the dishwasher this morning and broke a glass. That's what I get for emptying it in the dark!

Laura - how wonderful that you're fitting into those clothes!

yanniejannie - you certainly have a lot on your plate! My deepest sympathies. Sending you a virtual hug

anamika - have fun at the reunion!

Vicki - have fun at your christmas party. Newcomers is having their Christmas party this Sunday

Joyce - stay safe!

Worked on the Christmas decorations Seriously, does ANYONE know if you (and how to do it) can post a video? A still picture just won't do it. cheryl- did you see our Halloween decorations on Facebook? I know I posted videos there Had to go to Lowe's to get more wood for these blocks that we're putting the electrical connections on. Vince is a member of the planet Christmas forum, and there's always discussion about taping electrical connections or not. Seems to be about 50/50. So this year what we're going to have all the electrical connections up on blocks (so the wires aren't sitting in water should it rain). Right now he's making an extension cord for our manger scene. He already made one for Santa and his reindeer.

Took a pair of earrings that I had to a local jeweler. They're cheap earrings, but I think they're neat. They're Christmas lights that flash. Yes, it does take batteries, and one set I need to replace. But there is one part that's missing on one earring so hopefully, he can just make a small part. I don't have the right tools.

Came home and worked some more on the decorations. Made lobster for dinner and then some sugar cookies for the cookie exchange at mahjongg this Monday. I was secretly hoping to get away with not making any...but it didn't work out.

Jessica is supposed to be here this weekend. That means that tomorrow we'll probably do a little more work outside (I don't think there's too much that needs to be done yet) and then I'll really clean.

I couldn't help it. Im sorry, I just can't All this talk about DeeDee's freezer and what's lurking in the back got me to remembering when we lived in the Poconos. One winter one of the kid's hamsters died. Well, the ground was so frozen that we couldn't dig a grave. So.....I froze the hamster. Yup, in case anyone is wondering...they do freeze. In the spring when the ground thawed, we gave it a proper burial. Sorry.

Renny - think of the summertime and try to stay warm. Same for you Rori and Meg and anyone else whose in the cold

Meg - keep your cold, here in NC we'll take fog, that's ok....:) When we lived in the Poconos (in PA, harsh winters) Bryan would be at the busstop in shorts and a tee-shirt. The weird thing is...he never got sick.

katla - that's weird that you got nightmares from having a calzone. Oh my, a broken wrist. You take care

It's weird, my right arm is still hurting. I can't for the life of my figure out if it's a pulled muscle or what. It's almost the lateral bicep. I seem to feel it mainly when I have my arm outstretched like when I'm reaching for something.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    i really enjoyed the Sound of music. I know it wasn't Julie Andrews but I do enjoy Carrie Underwood. She sure ins't the actor Julie is though. I was a little shocked at the order of the show but when I looked it up on Wikipedia it's the same order as the original Sound of music Broadway production. I just enjoy heart warming stories like that.

When I came home form the Y I had another one of my Collections etc orders in. I ordered these on cyber Monday so was pleased to have them in today. Onr of them is this gift for the 'adopted adult man' that my brother and his family have adopted. He doesn't live with them. They try to help him live as independently as he can. He is still having such a hard time accepting my Moms death nearly 3 years ago and especially has a hard time being around us when we are happy without her. So Collections had this display of 'faith, hope and love that was listed as a holiday decoration but can be used all year long. I bought it for him to help him realize that that was what Mom lived by. He lives in a meager apartment and I hope this will brighten up his apartment. I thought of getting an ornament for him with Mom's picture in it but he already has several things of hers that he holds as a shrine to her. I am trying to help him get through that and understand that Mom is in heaven with her soul mate and God is taking care of us all, still loves all of us and asks that we demonstrate faith, hope and love.He has said he is coming this year. The first year after Mom died he couldn't make himself come. Last year none of them came due to family and financial problems. He doesn't do well in crowds and I have told him that he can have my bedroom during all the noise. I need to remove one of my rocking chairs from the family room to make room for the tree and all of our dinner tables and buffet table. So I will bring Mom's old rocking chair up into my room. The whole Christmas will be strange this year. This familys 17 year old son is in juvenile detention center, his brothers live in girlfriend and mother to their two children I think has a sex problem. To put it bluntly I think she is a sex addict and he has caught her her with several men in their apartment with their two girls. So I'm not sure about her. Then my other brother's son has been using again and so his probation will be revoked and he will be in jail for 2 years. He says since he is a small built man that the judge will be lenient on him since 'he is a liability to the state'. He is afraid he will be raped in jail. I am so grateful for my girls!

The storm hasn't arrived. It was supposed to arrive around 6 PM and still isn't here. Seems as if it is just staying in Illinois and not passing over the Wabash River.

Joyce, Indiana
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rori, the cat in the picture is our seal point Himalayan. Her name is Hushi (Japanese for Chopsticks) Believe it or not, but she is six years old!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Joyce - what a lot of troubles for one family. But I know you have enough strong members, including you, to see everyone through.:flowerforyou: How kind to look after the young man - you all have big hearts.:heart: My brother's third son used to be a marijuana addict and got his teeth knocked out in a pub fight by a drug gang. My DB thought he might have to send him to another town, to his mother's, to get him out of trouble, but the gang leader said he wanted to draw a line under the whole thing. Phew! The boy is now married and has just had his first child, a daughter. Seems to have pulled himself together.

Michelle - I love my flashing earrings! My last lot lasted through 2 Christmases and are still going, but this year I have bought new ones that change colour!:laugh: I will tell people that they can tell me to take them off when they have had enough flashing!:bigsmile: I also love my changing colour ice cubes! My mother used to say, "Little things please little minds." ! ! ! ! :laugh:

My lovely daughter-in-law has just written 4 books based on her CBT psychotherapy work. They are coming out on 2nd January and are available for preorder on Amazon UK. The first one is called, "This Book Will Make You Happy". The others are ........Calm, .....Confident and..... Sleep. I have ordered them and they looked great when I saw them yesterday. :love: We hope they take off. Her name is Jessamy Hibberd.

We had a lovely time yesterday. I got to have lots of cuddles with the baby. 10 weeks now and much more responsive. DGS is a delight and pleasure with a fabulous sense of humour and teasing. He is now into imaginative play so I got to eat lots of imaginary blueberry icecream and shiver with cold!:love::heart:

Katla - what a drag about your wrist. Something always seems to pop up. I have a small calf pull, but today was the first day I managed to do a full strength workout since Monday. And last week my back was bad for 3 days. Our tree has arrived, but it is still in its box. Also something to be signed for came yesterday, but we weren't here. I think we will try to redeliver today, but if they don't it is miles to go to pick it up from the carrier! :grumble:

Well, I need to go and make our morning coffee. Time flying - we were late up after our long day yesterday.

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK

PS Warm hugs to all those experiencing snow, storms and cold. Thinking of you. Stay WARM, :love: :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well I stayed up till 10:30 watching the Sound of Music,i couldnt make it until the end,it was pretty good though, I didnt wake up until almost 6:30 and having my lemon water...
    I am going to skip any formal exercise today,because I will be going into work early.. and I have to work tomorrow.. I will get up early and race walk tomorrow early am, I did lose a few oz which is fine with me...
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Katla so sorry to know u broke something :ohwell: And here I am telling u to put some balm and wrap it in crepe bandage when u have wristbraces...... I'm so behind times :blushing:
    Annecarolone hope u r doing better and stay out of hospitals
    Rori be mindful of the weather
    Meg u r so amazing
    I love all the nsvs
    Love n prayers for all in need :flowerforyou:
    Anamika
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Meg - I'm going to bake some cookies from Diabetic Living this year -- they sound really good. Here is the link: http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/holiday/diabetes-friendly-christmas-cookie-recipes?sssdmh=dm17.706332&esrc=nwdlo120313

Off to eat breakfast and get the day going.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Just a quick note this am. I am getting ready for work, have an 11-8 shift so I will not go to the gym today. I got some really good workouts the last three days and this morning it showed up on the scale with a 2 lb loss.

I had a great NSV yesterday. I was able to buy workouts pants in a ladies large and the matching jacket in a medium. Also I am now able to wear a coat I bought years ago from the Disney store that never fit. It's super great to be getting into these smaller sizes.

Katla - Sorry about your wrist. Hope it feels better soon.

I am not sure of my schedule this coming week for work since layaway ends on Friday so we are going to be slammed with pickups this week. Might be spotty catching up with everyone. Carole and I did have a nice day going shopping yesterday. Also I had 25% off a whole basket purchase that Walmart gave out to all the associates who worked on Thanksgiving. We were able to really stock up on things we needed and get some extras with a great savings.

Hope everyone stays safe where the weather is bad.

Laura in Maryland
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning,

Just jumping in for a sec. Haven't had time to get on the past couple of days.

NSV this morning. I'm wearing a pair of pants that I could barely get zipped the last time I tried them on. Today the are pretty comfy! :laugh:

BBL

Cindy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Heather I will watch out for those books. I:heart: to read.

My intentional act of Kindness (I decided to call it that rather than a random act because I want to do the things in my life with intention) is to substitute in a challenging class this afternoon. I have taught full time and had classes like this one, so I know it helps to know you have a sub you can count on when you need to be gone.

Still working on the sleep plan. That book Calm...Confident...Sleep sounds just what I need.:smile:
    Diet goals are going well.

We are off to a play tonight with friends, so I will have to catch up tomorrow.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Your family is amazing. I am so impressed with the notion of an adopted adult man. My dad had someone like that in his life for a time. Dad found a drunk outside his lodge hall and began doing nice things for him, supplying warm clothes or a meal. As time went on, the man started going to AA. Further along, he met a nice woman. They got an apartment, and were still friends with dad. I think they eventually married. The last we heard, Tom was staying off he bottle and employed. Sometimes random acts of kindness trigger amazing improvements for a person’s life. Other times, they simply bring a smile. Both are worthwhile outcomes.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Thanks for your sympathy regarding my wrist. I’m doing okay & slept well but I’m wondering how this can wait until Monday. I’m guessing the doctor is taking a few days off or has a very busy schedule. I’m backing away from strength training for now, but plan to continue cardio. I can ride my trike in the garage hands free.:bigsmile: What is CBT Psychotherapy? I don’t recognize the acronym.:flowerforyou:

Anamika: Thank you for your kind words. One of the wonderful surprises this board brings is the opportunity to know people from far away and learn a bit about their lives. I enjoy your posts very much. :flowerforyou:

Gail and Meg: Enjoy your cookies. They’re a trigger food for me, so I have to abstain or I’ll eat them all. :grumble: Mom used to make wonderful shortbread cookies this time of year, and she used cookie cutters to make holiday shapes like stars and bells. She also made yummy fudge. I have the recipes and the cookie cutters, but it f I made either treat, I’d eat every bite and lick the batter bowls.:ohwell:

Laura in MD: Congratulations on the loss.:bigsmile:

Cindy: Clothes fitting and smaller sizes are two of the very best NSV’s in my experience. Surprise on the faces of people I haven’t seen in a while is also on my list. My very best NSV is that I seem to have more energy than before—even with the temporary inconvenience of a “limp wrist.”:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Margaretturk: Substituting in a challenging class is a great gift for the teacher who must be away. It is a gift for the kids, too.:flowerforyou:

We have snow! This is not an everyday experience here, or even an every year experience. Snow before Christmas is particularly unusual. It is only a scattering but makes things beautiful. Local birds have been putting on a lovely show, too. The hummingbirds are squabbling over the feeder, which is very entertaining, and we’ve seen a beautiful Bald Eagle circling above the river, likely fishing.

Katla in white NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    Been away for a couple of days but finally caught up on the reading! Found out yesterday that the house I have for sale in TN did not have insurance on it since March! No notifications at all! The agent told me that the previous employee didn't keep all the information up to date. I had to find different insurance from here and spent the day on the phone yesterday taking care of that! Today, I get a call from Social Security saying they granted my disability and want to send me a big chunk of money! Weird because I have been working and making much to much to quality for this! I told them not to put it in my account and research it. I don't want to get that money then have to pay it back with interest! I hope no one is using my SS #! I am so sorry about all those who are having problems right now. I will keep you all in my prayers... death, illness, hospitals, broken bones, aches and pains! Just found out about a death of someone I know. 'Tis the season I guess.....

On a good note, I worked out 5 days in a row and stuck to the diet plan I was given all 5 days! Yay! I should see a difference in the scales come Monday. If not, that's ok because I am feeling better and my clothes are fitting better.

I am at work and really busy so have to go.

Rita in damp and dreary CT
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hello from Ohio. We've seen ice,rain & snow this morning.Heavier snow started an hr ago.Roads are salted,so isn't sticking yet,but trees & yards are white.TV says more snow,maybe 4-8".
    We are ok so long as the electric stays on.Never lit the gas fireplace,but there's a 1st time for everything.:grumble:
    Did lots of grocery shopping the last couple days,so that is done.Have a cookie exchange the 14th,needed lots of good things for that.At the end of the day,will have 6 different types of cookies.:sad: give some away,freeze the rest......DH can grab a few when ever He wants.
    Went to pool 3 times this wk,very early,before classes.Only 2-3 women there at 7am....lots of room for us to do exercises & I can baby my shoulder.
    Have no idea what the problem is,woke me in the night last wk,hurting like a toothache.Not achy now,but tender Seems to go from shoulder blade,up & over to sore collar bone.

Grandmallie ,what brand rice cakes? Sounds good

Laura,don't you love a good discount? I'm sure those who worked deserve it :flowerforyou:

You see what a short memory I have:ohwell: but do enjoy all the pics & posts. Happy Friday, PatinOh
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Ladies!

I am having trouble with food. I am slowly letting go of my good habits for the old habits that caused me to gain so much weight. The worst is the grazing, I just feel this craving to keep eating! Of course, that is compounded by my compulsion to also eat everything Christmas that is made with white flour! I did not bring along my OA list, so I can not call my sponsor, either. I wonder if my sick little brain left it home on purpose?

We went to the school for a basketball game last night (girls) and tonight we are going to a boy's game. It is nice to see old friends and fellow teachers.

Katiebug- Lake Vermlion is a beautiful area. However, the smart people are only there in the summer! Take care, it looks like cold weather is heading your way, too.

Katla- What happened to your wrist? Broken? How did you do that?

Sandy- I couldn't shut the comparison switch off in my brain, either, but she did a good job. I wasn't as impressed with the male actors/singers.

Renny- I think there should be excerise calorie points for "driving in bad weather & shivering". Be careful on the roads.

Meg- YUP! Snow, snow, and now below-zero cold. I will survive, though, because Bill has extra long underwear for me! HeeHeeHee!

For Today: No gluten; only meals and healthy snacks, no grazing!

Pat (Phoo)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather not everyone in our wonderful family like this man my brother adopted. He is very different. I don't know of any other way of saying but just to say it. He is very, very black. He is a little slow, has club feet and wears diapers. My siblings accept this guy into our family. None of the inlaws do. Just the kids of Don and Grace Peterson. We were brought up with that kind of love and if Mom said that he was a Peterson, that means he is. But the others very openly are distant to him. One of the reasons my brothers family adopted him was because of how their youngest son reacts to him. He normally will do anything to please this man. So he is really upset over his younger 'brother'. The first Christmas he came up here he tried to play some Christmas carols on his guitar and that didn't work out well and he was openly critisized about it. Weird thing about it that the one who was the most verbal is my sister's son who is in AA and a mentor to several guys. So he has been on the outside looking in as far as being accepted and in trouble.

I think I have a bladder infection and sinus infection all in one. Coughed so much last night that I can hardly talk this morning.

It took a long time for our snow to start last night, I have no idea how much ice is underneath what snow is on the ground. We could get up to 8 inches today. Take care guys.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll join in. I lost nearly 50 pounds, slacked off when a lot of stressful things at once hit me during the spring, and ... well, when I'm not intentional, I sabotage myself. I've gained about 20 of it back. And now it's Christmas season, SO ... My goals for December are to weigh less at the end of the month than the beginning, (even if it's only one pound), to use my new treadmill at least 15 minutes/day, and to drink at least 6 cups of water per day. For December, I think that's doable.

Diane from Spokane (it rhymes!)
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Diane from Spokane :flowerforyou: . I'm kinda new around here too, and I'm also guilty of sabotage :frown: . I tend to get frustrated with my lack of weightloss, then I ruin any little progress I do make. I think your goals are doable and realistic for December...I plan on doing the same!

As for today, here in beautiful WV it's gray and rainy. We're do for some winter weather to arrive on Sunday in the form of freezing rain and sleet. I can deal with snow since I can walk in it, but I can't walk on the ice!

I didn't make it to the gym this morning and I'm disappointed in myself. I woke up at 5am and heard the rain, rolled over and went back to sleep til 6:30! I hate driving in the rain and dark, but I also hate missing a workout :grumble:

Wising you all the best on this terrific Friday!

Barb from eastern WV
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Katla - CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy. It seems to be the therapy of the moment, DH has been having it, but it really is the same sort of thing that Barbie tells us. Ancient wisdom in a way, but it aims to change the way we think. Jess' s books are an accessible way of approaching it - very user friendly.

My new tree is out of its box and is great. I don't think you would know it wasn't real from 18" away!:bigsmile: We will get the decorations out of the attic this weekend.

Joyce- the story of the Good Samaritan comes to mind. It is easy to be kind to those who are attractive. The unattractive are a harder ask. And a test of love. I have rarely been up to that kind of test, but I admire hugely those that are.:heart:

Patceoh- bad luck on the shoulder. Luckily most of these things get better with time, but not all. Don't suffer for too long without a 2nnd opinion.

Pat phoo - I'm not suprised you're grazing in the cold and snow. If I didn't have DH to keep me on the straight and narrow and drag me into the gym every day I would stay under the covers and eat all day. And it's not even snowing here! Apparently in rural France the peasants used to more or less "hibernate" in the winter to save on fuel and food. They stayed in bed and slept most of the time. Nature's way I guess.

Bread sauce making this weekend.:laugh: Might get started on the Christmas cards. Just wish I could lose this half pound that's been hanging on for ages. I had gained water weight this morning, but hope that will be gone tomorrow. I am sticking to my plan, but it seems to be maintaining me now, not losing. I am so happy with my weight now, but a bit baffled as to why that tiny bit won't shift. It seems to like me!:bigsmile: :sad:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    PatceOh- Stew Leonards makes there own right in front of you it is pretty neat..
    I am not really hungry tonight and I only had about 750 calories today. so my dinner is a cup of pumpkin spice tea
    I am not going to eat,if Im not hungry..
    I will have a bagel in the morning with a cup of tea and some fruit, but that will be about it until dinner...
    I am pretty tired but have laundry in the washer so have to wait for that and put it in the dryer..
    we will be getting some of the yucky weather tonight, and a break in it for tomorrow during the day and then sunday night into monday freezing rain and ice:grumble: that is what scares me, I can handle snow..
    that is why I love florida:bigsmile: you dont have to shovel sunshine...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,welcome Diane:flowerforyou:
    Spent the afternoon with my knitting group,so glad they changed the day to Fri so I can go.
    Ordered most of my xmas gifts online.Was doing good until today.
    Ordered Violet these 2 dolls she wants,couldn`t find anywhere,got them ordered and today get 2 of the same doll and the doll she wanted wasn`t the one I got 2 of.Was disappointed.Can`t exchange,they refund the money.Now gotta go looking again.Oh,well
    Have a good night all
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane