WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!Got a couple more in of snow,not as cold or windy now.
    Prayers to those that need them and hugs to all.
    jane
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts! :flowerforyou: I managed to get home from work ok last night after the snow storm. I had decided to try a different route to avoid some hills, but ended up on a highway NOT to my house! :blushing: What was supposed to be a short drive turned into a much longer one through a town. Well, I got home to find that DH had NOT snow blowed or shoveled anything! :explode: I'll be d**med if I was going to do it after working all day! :noway: If he didn't want to do it, why didn't he just have the guy who did the neighbor's do ours? Men!!! :huh:

Almost fell in my driveway this morning on ice. Caught myself but think I may have strained my back. :sad: It won't show up until tomorrow morning as I went to Curves this morning and was able to stretch the muscles, so maybe I saved myself the pain. I sure hope so! Speaking of Curves, they started me on the 'Curves Smart' program where the computer tells you how hard you are working. I got a pretty good workout! PHEW! :yawn: I am going to have to get a bigger gym bag than the one Grandmallie gave me when we met. I seem to be juggling way too many bags! Losing things! :flowerforyou:

When my DH starts the emotional stuff, I tune him out by either playing on my phone, or computer, or walking away. Sometimes none of those things are available and I hurt. I know if I bark back it will only blow up more so try to avoid that whenever I can. I also know I make excuses for his behavior, which I know is wrong. I am just not strong enough to walk away again. It took a lot of counseling for me to get up the courage to leave the first time. This time I have excuses like, he is in pain, I will feel guilty if I leave him due to his disabilities, he has no one else, not even his kids contact or see him. :frown: Stuff like that. My DH has been this way as long as I've known him. No changes there. So Grandmallie, in your case, maybe he is dealing with a medical problem that has not been discovered yet, maybe you should call his doctor and tell him/her how your DH behavior changed and maybe get him in for a checkup?

As far as Christmas, I have the majority of gifts bought (nothing wrapped! :blushing: ) and last night the tree got put up but not decorated :smile: . Hope to work on that tonight if I don't have to shovel!!

Rita from cold (but beautiful snowy) CT
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, got all my cards written and in the post! PHEW! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    It meant I postponed watching my film, but it was worth it to have that out of the way. Between us we send about 70 cards. DH hasn't done his yet, but I know he will now he has seen I have done mine.:laugh:
    I love getting cards so I have to send them and I write a little update on most of them. I get really cross if people don't write an update on theirs.:grumble: :laugh:
    Love Heather UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's a NSV I never thought I'd have. I ran into a lady I know slightly who is married to another professor, and we talked for a little while, then she told me that there was a rumor going around that my husband had been seen with another woman - a thinner woman! Then she said, now I think if must have been you! Funny! I hadn't seen this lady for a long time, and at first she wasn't sure I was me. I have no doubt it was me. When he's not working we are always together. He has no time for another woman. And he's too cheap. :love:

The sun is shining but it's cold out there! I have to get out to do some shopping soon. I haven't bought a single gift except for Molly's. I got her an indoor "flying squirrel", those of you with dogs might know that's sort of a frisbee, and a kick ball for outside. Oh, and I bought hubby's present to me, so he doesn't need to shop. It's a Carrom game. I wanted something special to have here for when the kids come over. Anybody else a last minute shopper?

Have a great evening everybody!

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie, I send my hugs with all the rest of your Vit F sisters here. Honey , w are all here for you. I have gone through a lot emotional abuse also, he is getting much better since her retired. He is the kind that blows up and it is over though so he never holds anything over. His grand kids have also helped. Please don't let anything like finances stop you from getting a divorce if you think that is what is needed. Your mental and physical health and safety is very important.

I need a good alternative to my cough drops. They have 4 gms of natural sugar in them and I am taking up to 10 a day of them. That's 40 gm!!!!! Today my blood sugar was 103, the first time it was over 100 in months. Mommy don't like that. Weight was down a little from last week though, only .6 pounds but it's still a loss.

I slept poorly enough last night and felt bad this morning so I called my girlfriend and cancelled me going to the hospital Christmas dinner. I didn't know how I was going to work that into my meal plan for today anyway. I hope she went on with the other girl that was going with us. But if my husband had known ahead of time, he could have gone with his friend. It's his ticket after all.

Joyce, In
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    From the land of ten thousand frozen lakes,

Catching up

Anamika good luck in run on Sunday

Denise welcome:flowerforyou:

Vicki and Heather congrats on getting cards done. I am still writing mine.
    I like giving and receiving them too.

Jane Hugs back

Rita careful on ice. Both lose when someone is abusive.

Sylvia gave me a laugh:laugh: when I read too cheap. I married one of those too. I'm thankful for it because it has helped us weather the difficult financial times. Still gives me a chuckle.

Joyce you made the right decision to take care of you.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My bike is costing $80. I got a refund check form to much payment on my colonoscopy today, amount ....... $80. Love it.

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well I spoke with Tom(DH) and it was what I figured, telemarketers,then I call right after and he didnt hear me say hello.. he worked a 10 hr day leaving home at 4 am,then coming home and snowblowing for an hour,
    stress from getting ready for the trip, and where he works are firing people left and right.SO alot of stress..
    No excuse for screaming at me,but he didnt know it was me, so I jumped to conclusions.
    He still does have anger issues,but think he will relax a bit when we get to Florida..
    Soooo thanks for all the love sister's~ truly love you all .. I only grew up with one brother never had sister's now I got a bunch:bigsmile:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Today is my 1 year anniversary of logging my food and exercise daily here on mfp. 1 year and 77 lbs gone. I had hoped it would be 100 lbs but I'm happy with 77 lbs. I so proud of myself as I've never stuck with it for this long. This is a lifestyle change and all the changes I've made are ones that will be with me lifelong. I owe it all to MFP and the support for you ladies.

Grandmallie - I'm sorry that you are dealing with such stress. I totally understand how you feel about a 2nd divorce. It took me awhile to make the decision that my 2nd marriage was not a healthy one and I deserved more. You are an amazing woman with such a big heart. You deserve nothing but happiness. You are in my prayers and I hope you & DH can work things out.

Joyce - congrats on the excellent find of a bike and having that money come in the exact amount...wow!!

Meg - I wish you didn't feel the same way that I do about the Christmas but I get it. I can't wait for it to be over. Just breathe :wink:

Sylvia - congrats on the NSV YAY!!! :flowerforyou:

Well, I did make it to the Y tonight for a light workout as I woke up with yet another migraine. Rough day :ohwell:
    Last night I did 11 miles on the bike.

I know I've missed a lot of women, sorry. I can't seem to concentrate.

I hope everyone has a great night.

:heart: Sandy from a freakishly cold ON
  • javajudi77
    Options
    Hi ladies.

bump

JavaJudi. KS
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Bumping for morning! Going to go try to wrap some gifts! Still no tree though....

Rita from CT
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    JavaJudy, where are you from? I'm in Pittsburg, Kansas, down in the southeast corner.

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I feel more like myself every day but I’m still not ready to tackle any actual weight lifting. I’m doing a plank a day (two minutes today), yoga stretches and squats while walking the dogs, and lots of line dancing. This afternoon I came back from walking the dogs and crawled in bed to wake Jake from his nap so he could make a phone call and ended up falling asleep with Brandy, Sasha, and Bernie while he was on the phone.

:flowerforyou: Bernie’s visit to the vet on Tuesday went great except that the vet said that he needed to lose weight. He weighs 16.5 pounds and she said he should be a 13 pound cat. So starting today he is on rigid portion control.:sad:

:flowerforyou: We went to a holiday open house at the office of our financial planner…..he does this every year…..it started at 11 AM and since I knew they’d have good food, we made the event our lunch and enjoyed the goodies……I ate things I really like and had a small portion of each on a small plate….we didn’t stay long so we weren’t tempted to keep on eating.

:flowerforyou: Michele, the exercise bike hasn’t worked in a long time and I’ve left it to Jake to figure out what to do about it…..so far, he’s done nothing.

:bigsmile: Welcome to all the new members of our friendly community…..this a great place to find the support and encouragement you need…even those of us who have awesome husbands and good friends, still need the Vitamin F we get from our time together.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 18,000 steps today
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome back to healthy living. I went to a golf luncheon yesterday and was talking with a friend who said, "cards are sent, gifts bought and wrapped, cookies made and house decorated". I said, I have nothing! I did take the fall decorations down yesterday. My DH isn't feeling well but we did put the tree up and added the lights. That's it so far. I'm a firm believer in the theory that the job expands to meet the time allotted. We send pecan halves to relatives so it takes quite awhile to shell them and get them ready for mailing. Today we took 60 lbs to be cracked. I like to make my famous peanut brittle for special friends and neighbors so today I also bought the containers to pack it in once I get it made.
    Sounds like everyone is busy making preparations for Christmas. I hope it's a fun time and not too stressful for all of you.
    I feel so blessed to be as part of this community of women. Thank you for your love and support.
    Sue in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Joyce - thanks for the info about the virtual yard sales. I never knew about them

margaretturk - when you got your period a few years ago, did you get it multiple times? What was the final determination? In some ways, I hope my stomach troubles aren't behind me until after the holidays. Feeling "funny" makes me not want to have that much to eat, and I sure can use that this season.

Junaita - healing thoughts being sent to your brother (and you, too)

grandmalle - Pat gave me an idea. Is there an audiobook you can listen to with earphones? This way it doedsn't look like you're shutting dh out, but you don't have to listen to him

anamika - what wonderful NSV's you've had

Welcome everyone new

Vicki - what I did one year (well, actually a few years) was I sent my cards in January. For one thing, after the holidays someone can really sit down and enjoy the card. For another thing, I found people who would only send a card to me if I sent one to them, so my list got shortened

Vicki - I'm just so blessed in that even tho we haven't (and jprobably won't be for a long time to come) reimbursed from the insurance company, we aren't in the position where it's a hardship for us not to have that money. It sure would be nice to have it, but we are doing OK, thank goodness.

Oh goodness -- found out today at senior bowling that the manager is going to "allow" us to bring in snacks next week. Yuk, that means just one more thing I have to make. I think I'll make these chocolate cookies since I know that's something that Vince'll eat. He's already told me "make sure whatever you make, you make enough for your team and mine".

Just finished making these lemon poppyseed muffins for Friday. They really should be more "lemony". I didn't put the lemon curd in them and that's probably why.

Have to volunteer at the Green Room tomorrow. First I'll stop at the soup kitchen and make my final donation for this year. I'm also going to give them a printout of all I've donated over the year and they usually just give me a card to fill in the amount of the donation. Then I need to go to the post office to mail Christmas cards. Went to get the one for Bryan. It's been 5 months since I've spoken to him.

Heather - I usually write an update on my cards, but I didn't this year. What was I going to say? "Bryan got married but he would have preferred if we weren't there, and he hasn't talked to me since then?" or "oh, after Bryan's wedding Vince went into the hospital in Switzerland". I like to write up-beat things

Sylvia - oh how funny about that rumor. You should be proud. I do a lot of buying of presents for myself, give them to Vince to give me. At least I know I like it, that it fits.

Joyce - hope you feel better. Wonderful getting that refund check

Did 45 minutes of Jillian Michaels Burn Fat Boost Metabolism DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a Jari Love Get Ripped and Chiseled DVD. Then go to the soup kitchen, either to the post office before or after the Green Room. Vince is going to take one of his cars for inspection, there's also a problem with the remote, so they're going to look at that. If it's going to be a long wait, I'll go pick him up

Sandy - happy anniversary!

barbie - yea for you increasing your plank That's awesome

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    A few lakes may thaw tomorrow high 18,

Kalley Happy Anniversary:flowerforyou:

Barbiecat two minute plank WOW I have to modify mine or it hurts my knees. 18,000 steps :drinker:

Sue 60 pounds of pecans. My finger hurt. Childhood memories of my mom making pecans.

Michele I hadn't had one in a year. Then surprise. Dr. wanted to test to make sure everything was o.k. It came back fine. Best to see Dr. it have concerns.

I am subbing tomorrow and then choir so not much time tomorrow. My intentional act of Kindness for tomorrow is to be extra kind to the challenging students. I have been in this class before so I know who they are.

I am trying to get better sleep. I find if I take Magnesium it helps with leg cramps. Does anyone else find this effective.
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome to all the new faces...although I still have not posted any photos...I'm the silhouette>
    Kevrit- I play Candy Crush all the time and esp while I am on the treadmill!
    Grandmallie- I hope you are safe. It is not a happy place to be where one is not appreciated, especially where there is anger. I hope by now time has pacified the situation. I agree with others to seek some outside advice.
    Michelle- I like the titles of your DVDs....get Ripped and Toned...Abs of Steel...Belly Blast...lol
    Heather- is a Christmas cake the same as Plum pudding? I make Plum pudding at Christmas, but this year I am not going to make it nor am I sending out Christmas cards. Told the DH not this year as I didn't prepare a photo and I didn't have any cards printed up. I like sending a photo card, it's more personal I think.
    Too much going on...now Dad has a UTI and I am waiting to hear from his doc for a prescription. Not only that, but he went for an MRI in preparation for an epidural then the nurse/receptionist said he wouldn't be on the schedule til next month! I said I would find another doctor to do the procedure, then she said she could work a miracle and try to squeeze him in the schedule. He started this whole thing before Thanksgiving I told her...doing all the things they told him to do...now wait til next month?! Having Parkinsons, it is crucial for him to move. If he has pain, he won't move and it makes the Parkinsons creep in that much worse.
    Arghhh!!!
    Cold here...17 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Susan
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.....how did anyone survive temperatures of below 0 "F back before electricity?
    Isn't that amazing?
    Lots of wood and layers of clothing.
    Once read about Norwegian immigrants surviving on the Plains living in dugouts and making sure their cows slept in the dugout with them because the animals gave off a tremendous amount of body heat (and stink).
    Boy are we all fortune.
    Happy holidays!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Cold here,a day to stay in & stay warm.Since my shoulder/collarbone were sore,like to go to pool early.Can work out slowly & stop when I need to.Can't do it this wk. The parking lot has a lot of ice & sure don't need to chance that before daylight.
    Exercise is gonna be iffy thru Feb.
    Grandmallie,so glad you are feeling better about your Husband.Just think it thru as to what you can do next time.
    Shopping is done,thank heaven! Mostly gift cards,with a lot of family BDs during the season.Have cut back on cards,but do need to get them ready to send.
    We will have family here Christmas Eve,then just us on the day.The menu will be appetizers,soup & sandwiches,as most of them will have their fill of heavier food/ desserts at work.
    What do you all do with food gifts? Can freeze cookies,but candy & other sweets ? Could gain 50 pds if I let myself...NO NO ....cannot,will not let that happen.
    No real news here,have a thin day :bigsmile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Susan - the Christmas cake is a very rich fruit cake, which is made a month or two before and laced with brandy to mature. Then it is marzipanned and royal iced, with decorations of choice. I use ones my mother used to put on the cake when I was a child.:love: A little boy tobogganing and one sitting in the snow, having falllen off. Also a very chipped robin on a log. I have a new Father Christmas with a sack and a reindeer. The Happy Christmas sign is also my mum's. I love seeing all the old things on the cake and my own children remember them from their own childhood. Maybe I can build up some memories for my grandchildren.:love:
    We also make Christmas Pudding (plum pudding) to have as dessert on Christmas Day with brandy butter and cream. We will have lunch at 1.30 and the dessert in the early evening. Too full!:laugh:

Pat - yes, it doesn't bear thinking about, does it. I am so glad I live in the modern age with all its cresture comforts for those who are lucky enough to afford them. Of course there was a lot of hardship for people in the winter, but they kind of hibernated as much as possible I believe. The dangerous time historically was early spring, when all the food stores had been exhausted and the new season had not begun. Famine was very common. My DH writes novels about the period 870 AD in England (which are on Amazon Kindle) and I am very interested in prehistoric societies. Often we sit up in bed in the morning talking about how hard it was in 'the old days', even our own childhoods when the water by the side of my bed froze over night!:laugh: :noway: :ohwell:

Done my exercise today, but have avoided the plank as usual. What I must do is get down to it before my gymming. Also press ups. When I leave it til later I can't do so many. The last few days I have cut my calories to 1450, but that pesky 0.5 WILL NOT DROP.:grumble: :grumble: :tongue: It is SO CLOSE! Oh well, I can keep going for now and it will drop eventually. Grrrrr.¿¿¿¿¿
    Not sure my dinner will help as it's high in sodium. Pork in shrimp paste ( home made Chinese). With pak choi in oyster sauce. I'm trying to eat up stuff in the freezer to make a bit of room. I will have shiritaki noodles with mine. Must order some more as I do get through them - life savers!

Love to all who are struggling. Remember - YOU ARE WORTH IT! :heart: :drinker:

Sandy - congats on the anniversary. Brilliant job, 77 lbs!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK

Patceoh - I don't think anyone would dare bring me cookies or sweets as gifts. :noway: If they did I would give them away or get DH to eat them!:laugh: