WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, there are a lot of Michele LeGrand on face book. which one are you? I would love to send you a request. Maybe it would be easier to find me??? Joyce Kimmel, my picture is one of me when I was about 35.
    Joyce
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Barbie I finally realise what your motto at the end of your ticker means. I am finding that nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels :drinker: :drinker:

I'm still having to be careful now that I have my appetite back, but so far so good. I sometimes eat for the sake of it, but I am learning (again :embarassed: ) how to say 'no'

:flowerforyou: Katiebug thank goodness everyone is safe from the fire, sending love to your family:heart::heart:

:flowerforyou: Margaret the intentional act of kindness you do - is this a thing you do at Christmastime, or is it something you do all year long? It's a lovely idea.

:flowerforyou: Joyce 48lbs wooo hooo :drinker: I can only dream :ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Michele I'm praying Bryan gets in touch with you soon :heart:

:smile: Collected my new glasses on Saturday, just need to remember to put them on when going dog walking :bigsmile: The other pair I'll use at work. I only bought a few stocking fillers - mainly toys for my grandson, so need to get buying today, more or less my last chance :noway: :noway: I don't want to be going shopping on Christmas Eve it will be too late.

Well I need to get ready for my mammoth shopping trip :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Next year I'm shopping on Amazon for ALL presents!!

Happy Monday all :heart: :heart:

Viv
    (Wet York UK)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah! NSV for me! I've lost 0.5 inch off my waist! I haven't shifted my measurements since September so it was very welcome. I was having a problem with buying clothes online as my waist was out of proportion to my hips. This will make it more standard.

Michele - I don't find chopping herbs a problem, but I don't try to do a lot at once. If you had a lot of rosemary to chop you could do it in the small compartment of a food processor. Maybe one of those rotating herb choppers (Amazon). I just use a large sharp knife. I always have a pot of basil on the windowsill. It comes with me on British cottage holidays!:laugh: At the moment I also have mint, but it doesn't look very happy so I might buy a new one. I pinched some :blushing: that was growing through a fence down the road and froze it so I have some for now. I use it in yoghourt with cucumber and garlic and scallion as an accompaniment to curry or tandoori. Because the weather has been so mild we still have masses of parsley in the garden as well as the usual rosemary, sage and thyme. Also spinach is still growing. I will put some small leaves in the cauliflower cheese we are having tonight. I use a modified cheese sauce using cornflower to thicken instead of roux. Much less fattening.

I am greatly in awe of everyone's cookie baking. They all sound delicious. We don't have that tradition over here. Thank goodness, I think, as a home made, home iced biscuit is a glorious thing. Yannie jannie you are a wonder! I do have this vision though of evetyone passing on the ones they have received and nobody actually eating them!:laugh: All my friends and relations are trying to lose weight and wouldn't thank me. Last year though I gave home baked biscotti to my DSIL with a bottle of sweet vin santo. The tradition in Italy is that you dip the biscuit in the wine and eat it as a dessert. Yummy! She shared it with her boyfriend and daughter. But this year she has been really trying to diet. The only person I could bake cookies for now is DH! :laugh:

Katla - the game stew is great because game is low in calories.Fortunately the butcher does all the hard part, the preparation. I think there is venison, pheasant, pigeon, all cut up into pieces. Sometimes rabbit. I just make a normal winey stew, pancetta, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, herbs, wine and a drop of Marsala. And 0.5 of a stock cube. Pepper, no salt because the pancetta is salty. You could use smoked bacon. Easy peasy and soooooo tasty. I cook it for about 2 hours minimum, probably longer. A slow cooker would be great.

Love to all. Don't eat those cookies, but enjoy making them!

Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    morning~ having lemon water and icing my heel~ same old same old..
    will throw my hat into the ring. im on facebook too,cant find you Joyce or Michele.. but I am Alison G Wagner-connecticut
    slept pretty well, going to go for a racewalk in a few minutes....
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

LizPlus :smile: Nice to see your post:flowerforyou: ! Stay safe in the snowstorm!!

Jb :smile: Love the post! I always feel better after a nice walk! More songs please:bigsmile: !

Vicki :smile: Sounds like you had a beautiful weekend! Congrats on your NSV:bigsmile: !

Joyce :smile: Congrats on getting rid of that pound:bigsmile: ! Woo hoo!!!

Pat (Phoo) :smile: Glad you`re feeling like yourself again:flowerforyou: ! Hope you enjoyed the caroling!

Heather :smile: Yay, you get to see DS#1:happy: !!! Sounds like a good time coming with your lunches and guests, I`m sure you`ll be mindful of what you`re eating! Congrats on getting rid of .5 inch, fantastic news:bigsmile: !!!

Barbie :smile: I have this picture of a giant white pumpkin in your oven, I don`t believe I`ve ever seen a white pumpkin before! I love salmon patties made from fresh salmon:love: , my mom used to make them for us and they were so good, I`ve tried making them before but mine are not nearly as good as hers:noway: . A nap on a Sunday afternoon is so nice, I had a nap too:yawn: !

Grandmallie :smile: Glad you`re in warm and wonderful Florida:love: ! Enjoy your vacation!

Jane Martin :smile: Good fro you only having a bite of a cookie!

Katla :smile: Sounds like you`re having a nice visit with DDIL! Lost in a museum:noway: :laugh: …lol, sounds like something I would do!

Margaret :smile: Prizes for the teachers to give out, that is so very thoughtful:flowerforyou: !

Gail :smile: Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! All those cookies…what is mandelbrat:huh: ? Hope you get a great report from your cardiologist, and DH gets a good report from the eye dr.:flowerforyou: ! What a beautiful present from your sister!!! Would love to see pics!

Michele :smile: So Amazon said they couldn`t deliver, yet you already had them:huh: , I had a similar thing happen except they actually sent the item twice, so I had to send one back and then explain they did not need to credit me, they sent two by mistake, and only charged me for one! That was a an ordeal!:grumble:

Sylvia :smile: Do you think they cold might have played a part in your chest not feeling quite right:huh: ? Take care of yourself:flowerforyou: !!!

Viv :smile: Amazon is a great place to shop! I ordered most of my presents on line this year, takes a lot of stress off:bigsmile: !

Time to get off the behind and get it moving:tongue: ! Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny, chilly NC:glasses:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My scale says I'm down again this morning! Yippee! I've been sort of holding for a week or so, then bam!

DeeDee, no, it was warmer yesterday afternoon. I feel better this morning, though.

Sylvia
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey:

Just learned that my husbands 2nd cousin has passed away this morning. Her parents live in our neighborhood and I had no idea that she had gotten worse. The last time I talked to them she was doing some better. I feel so bad that I haven't talked to them. She had Crohn's disease and also had breast cancer. Leaves behind her husband, teenage daughter, her parents and brother and sister. It's so hard when a parent has to bury their child.

I had a loss this morning on the scale so I' still going in the right direction. It was .8 lbs but my ticker shows a total10 lb loss. I'm just happy that I'm still going in the right direction even in this holiday season. Now I am really going to have to get my mind right because I am a stress eater and having this death to deal with all I want to do is shove something in my mouth! I haven't made any holiday treats and that is just a little depressing for me. I love to cook but if I fix it and it's in the house I'm going to want to put it in my mouth!

I really need to get to my exercise and get some house straightening done

I hope everyone is hanging in there

Cindy
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss, Cindy.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele I found you but there isn't a box for a request. I left a message. Grandmallie, I found you and left a request. I'm not real chatty on facebook, I mainly post in a forum there and play a couple of games. I do occasionally post pics of my family or home.
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump.:embarassed:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - let us know what the story is with your chest, OK? Hope it is ok

Joyce - I have the same avatar on facebook as I do here, hope that helps. I searched for Joyce Kimmel on facebook. As with me, there were a few. Are you the Joyce Kimmel who has in parenthesis Joyce Leedom below her name? She's a person with wearing a red sweater/top/sweatshirt. She doesn't look 35, however. There is another one from Evansville, IL. She has glasses on and is wearing what looks like a red shirt (but you don't see much of the shirt). Or are you the Joyce Kimmel who lives in Dubois, IN? I'm not real chatty on facebook,, either. Just that that's someplace I know I'll post the video. It's such a shame you can't post a video here.

Viv - to be honest, I'm not holding out much hope for Bryan to get in touch with me soon (for that matter, ever). How did he get so selfish and self-centered? I guess in the past I've held out too much hope, now I'm more facing reality. I don't expect him to send us a christmas/birthday list (and none for Diana). For one thing, he wants to distance himself from us. For another thing, I'm thinking that the last time he was on Reunion Island he wasn't doing well financially. I'm thinking that he's feeling if he doesn't send us a list, we won't send him anything, therefore he won't have to send us anything thereby saving himself some money.

Heather - the ony time I ever buy clothing online is if I've tried it on in the store and they didn't have a certain color but I could get it online. I did make a bid for that dress for the mystery dinner, figuring that I would have to get it altered. Well, in the end I never did get any but bought one at the Salvation Army. It was cheaper, anyway. I searched on amazon for the rotating herb chopper. It's like the one I have for chopping vegetables. I tried putting the rosemary in it, but it didn't get it chopped small enough. Maybe I needed to do it longer, but I did chop it for quite a while before I even checked on it. Passing on cookies no one eats -- we had a cookie exchange at the mahjongg I go to on Monday nights. One lady made this cranberry biscotti. It has walnuts in it. I just said "thank you" but I know I won't like it with the walnuts in it and Vince won't eat the cranberries. I'm just going to give them to the guy at the bowling alley when we bowl Wednesday and not say anything to her. Another lady made these, what appears to me to be just blocks of butter that melted and hardened. I know no one is going to eat them so I put some of them in the container for the neighbor who gave us those cookies yesterday. Am I bad or what?

grandmalle - OK, I can't find you at all on facebook. As I recall, I think I tried once before and couldn't find you. I BELIEVE this is a link to my page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/michele.legrand.90?fref=ts Let me know if it works for you, ok?

Cindy - deepest condolences. Good for you on that loss

Did about 25 minutes of yoga this morning, held my plank for 2 min 30 sec and then took the extremepump class. After the class came home and Vince told me that friends of ours MIGHT be coming over tomorrow (he's going to call to confirm) to see the decorations so I made some of the zucchini bites. Heather - now I see why they say you really need SHARP cheddar cheese, all I had was the mild. Oh well. I had no idea how many it made, seems like one recipe makes about 12 so I doubled the recipe. I might very well make more for myself. I also have these cheese cracklins that I just need to bake. Basically, it's a cheese ball. I'll also make some pizza rollups (that's something that Vince'll eat most likely)

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a DVD on the rebounder.

Took the tin of cookies over to the neighbor (the one who left 2 cookies for us that her kids had decorated).

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele, the nurses at rehab thought it was a little angina, and thought I might have overdone it a little. They were very careful checking me out completely before and during my workout. If it happens again I will take a nitro and see if it goes away. I go see my cardiologist on the 24th, so I'll tell him about it. Today I feel great though, and did push myself a little bit more at rehab. My friend Linda was there, so having somebody to talk to made the time fly by.

I was on the outs with my son for over five years and didn't get to see him or the kids till a few months ago. We still have not discussed the falling out, just pretending it never happened, but I have to admit that I missed him as much as I missed the kids. He's my only child. So this should be a good Christmas for me. I hope things work out with your son quickly.

Sylvia
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cindy so sorry for your loss.

Michele have you ever heard the saying a son is a son till he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter all of her life.

My son too left his family behind for 5 years then after his divorce came back like nothing happened, men.........

Take care everyone, congrats on all the weight losses and nsv

Juanita in sudbury
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow! I have read up to here. Joyce and Michele, I will try to friend you both on Facebook! My email for Facebook, which doesn't work for anything else is kevrit@frontiernet.net. Everyone welcome! Just let me know you are from MFP!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. I have been in a mood alday. Can till it is a full moon and the crazys are out. Glad after today I have a day off. They dicided to redo the chapel which is across the hall from my desk. So they have been drilling and pounding the last 4 days. I was so surpried this morning when I weighed that I lost 2 pounds this last week as my eating the last week has been BAD!! I also had another round with the bank. It was 3 weeks ago today that they mailed me the papers to sign to release the check to pay for the work on the house. And I am not sure where they mailed it as never came to my house. So called again this morning and asked they fax them to me at work. So I stood by the machine while she faxed them. So now DH took the one that company that did the work has to fill out to them and said we would pick it up tomorrow and then I have the rest and will fax it back. Be interesting to see how long this is drug out. Then DH was in a mood this morning. So I am just in a mood and feel like I could eat a cow. Our dept Christmas party is this evening. Will be lots of food. I have voluteered to stay at the desk and answer phones. So see how that goes as one other girl will not go to anything and always stays at the desk. Thanks for listening.

jb--good info and something to think about. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce--Congrates on the weight loss.

Heather--sounds like your holidays are going to be packed. Please relax and enjoy. I just keep telling myself to watch what I eat and still have a good time. This only comes once and year. Atleast that is what I am telling myself.

Gail--The gift from your sister sounds priceless. That takes alot of work and love. My sister that passed was good at doing sewing crafts and I have several things she made. I use them and think of her. My grandma made patchwork quitls and she always told me I expect you to use these and not put them away to rot. So I remember that and try to do that. I do have the last one she made me and used it until it got really thin. Now I have it hanging in the spare room.

Sylvia--Please take it easy. Glad they checked you out at rehab. Congrates on the weight loss.

Cindy--Sorry for the loss of your family member. I agree it is hard to lose a child. Our son was 24 when he passed. I keep telling myself it is Gods plan and he did leave us two beautiful grand daughters. I also find it interesting as the oldest was about 22 months old and the youngest one born 3 days after he passed. The youngest one is so much like Gary and the some of the things she does is so like him. She also looks so much like him.

grandmallie--Thanks for letting us know you arrived safe. Hope you get lots of rest and enjoy your time down there.

Well ladies thanks for listening and hope you have a good evening. It is 54 degrees here today and sounds like it will be nice the next couple days. DH got the motorcycle out and rode to work.

Blessed Vicki GI NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Oh misery! The butcher didn't have any packs of mixed game left. We are going to ring him tomorrow to see if any more has come in. Otherwise I will have to have a rethink.:ohwell:

Tomorrow is yoga and then lunch. There will be 16 of us for the festive occasion. I have ordered wild boar pate and salmon. I will eat half the pate and scrape the sauce off the salmon and load up with veg. They always put big plates of veg on the table. I am going to take a spare red long sleeved t shirt to slip on after yoga and my celebration necklace I got for my one year MFP reward and my flashing, changing colour earrings!:blushing: I must remember to pick a few sprigs of conifer from the hall gardens to decorate my table centre wreath. My yoga friend is coming round on Wednesday to make them with me.:happy: I ordered some real church candles today as I don't think my LED ones are going to arrive before Christmas. If they do, the more the merrier!

My cheque from my ex still hasn't come. I texted him today - not at all happy. It was supposed to be in the post from the solicitor ages ago. I asked him to give me the number of his solicitor, but I doubt he will. It is the first instalment of some money his mother left me. She died over 8 years ago.:grumble: :explode:

Calories went well today. I'm a bit hungry near bedtime, but hope it won't keep me awake. The cauliflower cheese was fab for 350 cals.:bigsmile:

See you tomorrow folks.
    Heather UK
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is enjoying their Mon.More snow coming in.We have about 4 in.Violet likes climbing on the big mounds.
    Cindy,sorry for your loss.
    Hope to get dryer fixer,hope it doesn`t cost too much.
    hugs
    jane
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cindy - I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree no parent should ever have to bury a child and at this time of year makes it that much worse. I don't know how one deals with that.

Michelle - my heart goes out to you & Bryan. I worried daily when my DS was a teen that I would lose him so I can't even imagine how you deal with it. I do believe that he will be back in touch with you when he wakes up and realizes what he's missing. You are in my prayers.

Pat - glad you made it back home safely.

Grandmallie - congrats on making it to FL.... I'm jealous that you are in the warmth. It's down right frigid here.

I have not gone to the Y in 2 days. I woke yesterday with a horrible migraine and nothing helped. meds didn't work and it just progressively got worse. I was in bed before 8 pm. Not a good night, not much better this morning. I couldn't stay home because the boss was in town from Montreal to train me on some things and he was only in town for the day. So off to work I went. Got the training. I went to the post office after work to mail a package to my niece & her clan. I came home and was shaky and in tears. I'm exhausted and stress. I've had soda crackers & gingerale for dinner.

It's so cold here, woke up to -21 C. I really don't like the cold.

Counting down the days until Christmas only because I get a week off work and it will be over.

I'm off to bed.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Good evening to all

Cindy I am sorry for your family's loss. :flowerforyou: Our family lost some young adults to automobile accidents. ( Ac ousin's son and a cousin's daughter) It is painful no matter what the time of year.

Grandmallie so happy you made it to Fl safely. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine for me.:smile:

Viv I started this intentional act of kindness this year as one of my December goals. I am enjoying it so much I hope to make it a December tradition for myself. After December I plan to continue to try and to do kind acts when I can. I am already thinking of some goals for January that will help my mind, my body, and my spirit grow.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump