I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You know. There is a boatload of good advice, support and perspective in this thread for new people.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Wienerdogcrazy
    you ever just see someone's profile picture and immediately not like them? I'm sure people do it to me all the time :laugh:

Nope, but I do have an issue with your nick.... being partial to Labs, myself. :wink:
  • HollyBBC
    Options
    Everyone can succeed. They just need to find the right program for them!! I think the best way for new people to succeed is to find something you love to do, then do it. I HATE HATE HATE cardio and treadmills, jogging, or anything stationary. I get bored and won't finish. I like to keep changing constantly. When I started martial arts it works for me because it's learning a skill, but still working out. I also started Insanity about 5 weeks ago and I like it, because it is always changing. It's not the same boring thing over and over again. Plus, I think when someone stops after they started they feel overwhelmed or it just isn't time for them. But they will succeed! Just at their own pace! :D
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Everyone can succeed, but waiting until a specific date to start is lazy and shows the kind of attitude the person has about life.
  • health1971
    Options
    Don't leave for tomorrow what you can start today :happy: ... Today it's what you have for sure so do something about it :glasses: ...

Taking a step at a time to reach my goal always :flowerforyou: ...
  • librarysteg
    librarysteg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with people starting in the New Year, but I will say it's been sort of fun starting during this supposedly difficult time of year. I started getting serious November 17th. My husband even suggested maybe I should just wait until after the holidays, but that sounded silly to me. If I have the motivation now, why wait?
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    Can't agree more... I also resent the fact that my gym will be a zoo until like January 15th.

Basically ... My friend is a trainer ... He gets PAID to help people with their goals. He even said by March or April they will quit ... Jan/Feb is when he makes all his money

50540473.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    Can't agree more... I also resent the fact that my gym will be a zoo until like January 15th.

Basically ... My friend is a trainer ... He gets PAID to help people with their goals. He even said by March or April they will quit ... Jan/Feb is when he makes all his money

50540473.png

I dumped my trainer about that time, because I had used up the trainer package I had bought, and had gotten the confidence I needed to workout alone. I did not "quit", I just "broke up" with my trainer. See the difference?
  • tabatharose60
    Options
    I just don't even know what to say. I'm going to make it though. I have nothing to go by. I don't even know how many times I've started over in my life with my weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just don't even know what to say. I'm going to make it though. I have nothing to go by. I don't even know how many times I've started over in my life with my weight.

You already said it. Right there in bold. :flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The fact that this thread still exists and the vegan one doesn't makes me really sorry and curious about what I must have missed. :grumble: :sad:
  • LynneH2002
    LynneH2002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to give the "Rah-rah! You did it!" and the "Don't kick yourself, just pick up and dust yourself off and move forward" to anyone who needs it, whenever they need it.
    Peace, love and light...
    Lynne
  • 1_madeline_3
    1_madeline_3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

It's already starting for me! But I'll just wait for my turn. Who knows..maybe they will stick to it.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Actually, studies show that having a set start date and planning out when to reach a goal works better than going "today I feel like dieting" or "I'll start tomorrow". If you truly plan ahead with a mind set of this is the date to start and you don't decide this 12/31/2013, but make a commitment to it previously, it can be very effective for setting and reaching goals. I've reached my goals this way before. A few years ago, I did lose 85lbs starting my weight loss journey on 1/1. I had that date in mind starting November though and had start slowly making changes previously. It was a deadline date though for me going to the gym daily, and I did do that. I've also had a deadline like this for stopping drinking regular sodas, and several other goals.

So, yes planning ahead and having a start date can be good and can keep you to your goal. It's the people who decide 12/31 when asked about resolutions who go "Oh, I think I'll diet starting tomorrow" that may not have their whole heart in it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Actually, studies show that having a set start date and planning out when to reach a goal works better than going "today I feel like dieting" or "I'll start tomorrow". If you truly plan ahead with a mind set of this is the date to start and you don't decide this 12/31/2013, but make a commitment to it previously, it can be very effective for setting and reaching goals. I've reached my goals this way before. A few years ago, I did lose 85lbs starting my weight loss journey on 1/1. I had that date in mind starting November though and had start slowly making changes previously. It was a deadline date though for me going to the gym daily, and I did do that. I've also had a deadline like this for stopping drinking regular sodas, and several other goals.

So, yes planning ahead and having a start date can be good and can keep you to your goal. It's the people who decide 12/31 when asked about resolutions who go "Oh, I think I'll diet starting tomorrow" that may not have their whole heart in it.

And studies show that a majority of NY resolutioners will fail. It's not being a "hater", it's not putting anyone down, it's just a fact. Some will succeed, and that's awesome, but a majority of those that set a NY resolution for fitness, diet, etc.. will fail at it. It sucks, but it's the truth.