I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    read the first few replies...left me thinking..poor you people having to rely on a gym...have you never heard of the "great out doors", <sigh>

The great outdoors doesn't fit in with my strength goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!
    The reality is that 90% of ALL people (regardless of time of the year) fail when going on a diet. They may lose initially, get to goal, etc., but only 10% MAINTAIN the method they used to achieve it.
    Why do they fail? Wrong program, wrong approach and lack of specific planning overall. Many come in with just "good intentions" and not true commitment.
    And yes I see it EVERY YEAR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I started here on July 22nd. It just happens to be a Monday. Completely unplanned.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find planning is best. I never start anything unless it's a Monday or the first of the month. I will be restarting with a new account in the new year. I'm still going now. Still dieting, still losing, but definitely start fresh at new year. If they try and failed, at least they tried.

I've had many fails starting on a Monday or new month, or new year. When a person is READY to commit, ANY day/time is a good place to start.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I find planning is best. I never start anything unless it's a Monday or the first of the month. I will be restarting with a new account in the new year. I'm still going now. Still dieting, still losing, but definitely start fresh at new year. If they try and failed, at least they tried.
    It doesn't a whole day to write a specific plan on a sensible approach to lose weight. The lag time just means that you're not committed to really doing it unless it's "perfect". So many people restart on "day one" because not everything goes as planned.
    Intention isn't the same as commitment which is why many who "try" fail.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I came on here for my New Year's Resolution in January and am still here, so I encourage everyone who at least gives their resolution an honest try. It sure ain't easy to stick with anything! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That's not true. 2 years ago I was one of them...
    Then you're one of the 10% who succeed...........

IDEA Fitness member
  • MumToBrendon
    Options
    Jesus Christ...my eyes hurt after reading all that.

Loving all the personal digs, name calling and pure childishness. Then after doing all that telling me to grow up! Bloody Elle.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    Can't agree more... I also resent the fact that my gym will be a zoo until like January 15th.

Mine will be a zoo for at least the first couple of months and at the same time...there will be a time limit for cardio equipment! I've tried and failed at the new year's resolution this. A couple of years ago...I started in September in the middle of the week and have never looked back! Don't wait...just do it!

Me too! I woke up October 11, 2011, said I was tired of being fat, and never looked back! I think my husband had doubts that I would stick to it, but I think my picture speaks for itself. :-D

Well if you lost only 13 pounds I'm guessing you weren't "fat" to start off....so perhaps it's best not to judge other people, who may have a lot more to lose...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    read the first few replies...left me thinking..poor you people having to rely on a gym...have you never heard of the "great out doors", <sigh>

No, you. Find a log or large rock and lift it.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I came on here for my New Year's Resolution in January and am still here, so I encourage everyone who at least gives their resolution an honest try. It sure ain't easy to stick with anything! :smile:

Well done to you!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    Can't agree more... I also resent the fact that my gym will be a zoo until like January 15th.

I hate that. I won't be able to get a good full workout in unless I'm there waiting in line for equipment for hours...

This, I can't even go in the evenings now that the weather is cold because it's so crowded... Summer was great!

Mine just started getting crowded, but I think that is because of the holidays.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Why the hell do so many people care about what other people are doing? Shut the hell up, put you head down and worry about your own ****.

If people spent half as much time worrying about themselves as they do worrying about others, this country wouldn't have half the problems its got.

But, I care so much. I can't help it, I want to heal the world. :sad: I care so, so much about what everyone is doing. It's so sad, and I care so much. It's all I can think about day and night. I stay awake at night trying to solve this problem. I care so, so much.

I know you care about me. Don't even try to lie. :wink:

I do care that you're eating all the chocolate on your diet. If fact, it pisses me off. I've been secretly trying to buy it all up. But, they just keep making more, dammit.

Say what? You'll have to speak up...I can't hear you over all this chocolate. stockphotopro_30010612HDF_.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

No, you. Find a log or large rock and lift it.
    '
    Forget the rock, just find me and we'll just stand outside while you lift it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Mine will be a zoo for at least the first couple of months and at the same time...there will be a time limit for cardio equipment! I've tried and failed at the new year's resolution this. A couple of years ago...I started in September in the middle of the week and have never looked back! Don't wait...just do it!

Me too! I woke up October 11, 2011, said I was tired of being fat, and never looked back! I think my husband had doubts that I would stick to it, but I think my picture speaks for itself. :-D

Well if you lost only 13 pounds I'm guessing you weren't "fat" to start off....so perhaps it's best not to judge other people, who may have a lot more to lose...

If you looked at my profile, you'd know there was more to my story. But thanks for judging me based on my picture and ticker and telling me not to judge...

ETA: Oh, and because people with less weight to lose are so much less credible than those who have lost lots of weight. Yeah, okay...
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?

687prhH.gif
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I applaud the fact that the NY Resolutioners are trying to improve themselves - it’s the fact that they all decide to do it at the same time that is annoying. And it’s not just because it’s the gym, imagine if other places you liked to go (like bars and restaurants) suddenly had 50% more people just suddenly start showing up because it was January, it would be a pain in the a**.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How about choosing to eat differently (healthily).... wait for it..... for forever?

That *is* dieting.

No, I am not "dieting" but I have changed my "diet". Permanently. The word relies on context as you well know.

Yes, you are dieting, as are most of the rest of us here.

The fact it's a long-term diet doesn't change what it is - a diet.

It baffles me why so many people are terrified of this word...

Ok, I'll simplify. "Diet" is a noun and refers to what one eats in general. "Dieting" is a verb and is generally used to indicate that one is temporarily eating differently than normal for a specific effect. Most people "dieting" will go back to their original "diet". So no, I am NOT "dieting". When the word is used as a noun it is slightly different than when it is used as a verb. It's not about being "terrified" of the word, it's about correcting the fact that I am not "dieting" but have changed my "diet". Hard to follow, I know.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I applaud the fact that the NY Resolutioners are trying to improve themselves - it’s the fact that they all decide to do it at the same time that is annoying. And it’s not just because it’s the gym, imagine if other places you liked to go (like bars and restaurants) suddenly had 50% more people just suddenly start showing up because it was January, it would be a pain in the a**.

If only there were more than one New Years, or more than one calendar? Next time I start a resolution, I may choose to start it at the chinese new year, or the fiscal one, or the school new year, or the mayan calendar. Is that still around? Or did it die when we all thought the world was gonna end awhile back?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hey look, I started in January 2013 too!

Guess what, judgmental MFPers...most people who start diets fail, not only the ones who start on January 1. Be supportive or shut up. This place really is like middle school sometimes.
    Wow what an inspirational and supportive post that will help everyone achieve their goals. Way to lead by example.