I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, just whip them out and measure. Let's get it over with.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    I disagree. I think it makes total sense. No need to start your journey on December 1 - that would be a sabotage. When I stopped breastfeeding my baby it was December (when I cut calories at all breastfeeding it was NOT a good thing!) - I was not going to try to start my new life right before Christmas. It is a lot easier to get 10 months under your belt before you face the dangerous time between Halloween and New Years Day. I totally get it. And I am not done - but I would consider myself a success.

I started losing weight a few weeks before Thanksgiving last year, and on a Wednesday at that. By the time January 1st came by I was already down over 10lbs. We will be faced with years and years of holidays, birthdays, family get togethers etc etc. If you don't learn real quick how to deal with them, then you're going to be part of the 95% that fail at long term weight loss success. Starting now is not sabotage, it's a great idea because you'll be that much further by the new year.
  • stacysum
    Options
    3 hours later..... :yawn:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, just whip them out and measure. Let's get it over with.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think I'm done here, but it's been fun!
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Some people like to think that they're better than other people. It helps them get out of bed in the morning. I say we let them have it, OP.

Ironic post, considering your username.

Irony/Ironic has to be the most misused word in the English language

evidence here suggests that "loose" is in the running.

I don't even judge people for that one, it's so common.

you're right because that's often just a misspelling, but you reminded me of one word that is definitely misused more than irony...

...troll.

Story of my life
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread is hilarious.

OP and supporters are getting hypothetically butthurt about hypothetical slights aimed at hypothetical resolutioners, who by definition, are not even on this site yet.

:laugh:

go home hypothetical MFP, you're drunk.

:wink:

and don't forget about the hypothetical idiotic threads that said hypothetical users will post...like - "Is it bad that I just ate bread after 8pm..."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Yikes. I guess it's a good thing I started today and not next month!

The new year is what's prompting me to get myself together though and it's really daunting to see in black and white just how much I need to lose but I certainly won't be forgetting this thread. I'll be using it as motivation and a reminder to stick with my plan a month from now when the newness wears off and my enthusiasm wanes.

please check back in in two months and update us...
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am torn about this, because for me waiting until the next monday or the next month always ended up with me putting more weight between my goal. I also feel like when you tell yourself you will start next week or next month you overindulge between that time. On the other hand a lot of people can make a big weight loss in that initial push of new years resolutions and that nice big loss might be enough to keep them on track.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    How about choosing to eat differently (healthily).... wait for it..... for forever?

That *is* dieting.

No, I am not "dieting" but I have changed my "diet". Permanently. The word relies on context as you well know.

Yes, you are dieting, as are most of the rest of us here.

The fact it's a long-term diet doesn't change what it is - a diet.

It baffles me why so many people are terrified of this word...

probably because of all the fad diets out there...and most people that "diet" tend to do it for six months and then stop ...

Some people associate "diet" with short term, as opposed to long term ...it is more of a word association thing.

well, for the year that I was actively losing, I WAS ON A DIET! and I don't care to play word games and have others tell me what it is and what it isn't, FOR ME... for me, IT WAS A DIET, because I knew that I would not be eating at a deficit FOR LIFE... so, call it what you will, but I call it a DIET!

ummm you totally missed my point, but thanks for sharing..
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The only way to get healthy is to get scared. I did that. I found out I had hypothyroidism and it changed me. I saw my father get sick from colon cancer and it changed me. You have to want change, but fear can be a powerful motivational tool. New Year's aside, tell me when they want to change something before Jan 1.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, record pretty much everything I eat on MFP, and take 75 mg of Levothyroxine. I went from a 41" waist to a 32" in just over a year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

having been here for quite awhile, I can tell you that the vast majority of the resolutioners will be gone by March...

In another month, the community will be once again inundated with threads about raspberry keytones, cider vinegar, magical diet pills and other weight loss sorcery (like way more than usual). Personally I'm looking forward to there possibly being some new magical potion out there, but it all just seems to be the same stuff going in cycles...

Don't get me wrong...I think it's great that people want to get there **** together...and we all had to start somewhere..but ultimately they fail because they are simply doing this for the wrong reason and they have no concept of what it actually means to truly change your life around...it's not some decision you make on new years eve...it's a pretty well thought out process and those who succeed are very good at seeing the bigger picture...that this isn't about looking pretty by summer or whatever...to be successful means to understand that their is no finish line and most resolutioners really aren't there yet.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hey. Whatever works.

I started MFP this year the 2nd week of January. My goal last year was to get healthy enough to start exercising this year. 2 New Years resolutions accomplished for me.

I always used to hate it when gyms would be beyond crowded the first 2 months of the year. This year I'm looking forward to it because I recently became a personal trainer & it's been super dead lol
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    I disagree. I think it makes total sense. No need to start your journey on December 1 - that would be a sabotage. When I stopped breastfeeding my baby it was December (when I cut calories at all breastfeeding it was NOT a good thing!) - I was not going to try to start my new life right before Christmas. It is a lot easier to get 10 months under your belt before you face the dangerous time between Halloween and New Years Day. I totally get it. And I am not done - but I would consider myself a success.
    This is the exact mentality that leads to failure. Why is starting on December 1st a sabotage? I finished my bulk cycle and started my cut cycle the day after Thanksgiving. What's so bad about December 1 instead of January 1? Because of Christmas? If you think a feast on Christmas will undo the remaining 30 days of work in December, THAT'S WHY YOU WILL FAIL. Period. This is all about learning to live. Part of that is knowing that special occasions happen, feasts are normal, and should be celebrated, worked into your plan, and enjoyed, not viewed as "sabotage."

End thread/

:drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I started last January 1st and this January 1st will be my anniversary/MFP birthday, etc. My year has entailed a 25 lbs weight loss in the first few months as I learned what my body can do physically and what I can handle eating or giving up. (Turns out nothing...lol) That loss was followed by a maintenance of that loss that lasted several months. Then I got caulky and a little rebellious. I was fully aware when I was putting the weight back on and why, that was in the fall when some pretty big and stressful changes rather than fix my life put us in a bigger whirlwind than I expected and my attitude towards this suffered greatly. I am still aware of why I regained and how, just unsure how to stay focused and back to losing again. I hope the answer will come to me and I stayed logged on that whole time and January 1st this year when my update says I have logged on for 365 days that will be to me a victory in itself. Staying here has enabled me to notice my regain faster, and correct it quicker as well as gaining the new knowledge which I've garnered from some of the supposedly "mean"-est members on MFP, the knowledge of how to reassess my cal goals during this opportunity after experiencing some higher cal no logging days. I was logging from cell phones, other people's computers, etc. during a hectic move that had unexpected consequences not the least of which was unable to log foods even when logged on due to phone incompatibilty, but I stayed the course.

Keeping with it is not entirely correlated positively with losing the weight steadily or reaching one's goals. New goals emerge as new information is presented and synthesized. A person who shows up wanting to lose 50 LBS BY SUMMMER VACATION OR BUST!!!!!!!!! might easily be convinced that upon reflection their real goal is strength, or stamina, or general better eating, or less binge-ing, or recognition of some unhealthy food relationship. There are as many ways to succeed on this site as there are people and that in no way implies that there are unique special snowflakes who's bodies are so different, except for those with medical issues whether known or not. It only implies that people's goals can become fluid as they learn and play off one another and even though I have not achieved my original GET SKINNY AND FASSSSSTTTTT Goal, I have achieved a much more important and never foreseen personal one of living an entire year never in one moment of denial or delusion about my weight or eating or activity levels. This is so valuable to me as I said time is a commodity and as you get older even more so and it matters not one iota to me that I started on a certain day and some people believe that might have predicted what might appear to them to be a "failure" on my part. That's as ridiculous as the idea that a magical start date will make the change for you. It has no magic either way. It's just an easy day to remember and count on and mark the time.

It matters to me that my life has changed in ways I can't really describe but I can definitely feel and there is no turning back. Now I know my body, self, eating habits, and what sincerely works, even though I had dieted successfully in the past. But previously a regain like I experienced would have been noticed much later, been much larger and taken much longer to recover from. That is what my year has given me. Time. Shortened get back on the wagon time. One glitch in the autumn that undid some of my weight loss cannot undo that.

(Because I could easily give up. I could easily read some of the upthread posts and consider myself a failure. I could easily agree that it was that pesky Jan.1 start date, or my mentality in choosing that... But why? Why let anyone on the internet, friend or stranger, informed or not, compadre or frenemy or straight out enemy decide my life for me?)

I'm going to wish everyone good luck in their journey but not be judgmental of those who have been here way longer and way more than me and have seen it all to the point of eye rolling. I'm just going to do my part to make people feel welcome and eager to learn and if they take it or leave it when the people who know more inform them, that's their personal place in life and mentality and may the chips fall where they may. It's not my job to MAKE them listen any more than it's my job to MAKE someone else use a certain tone when informing. Every man for himself. The info is there, if you want it bad enough. It's yours for the taking. Whenever you're ready.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Hey. Whatever works.

I started MFP this year the 2nd week of January. My goal last year was to get healthy enough to start exercising this year. 2 New Years resolutions accomplished for me.

I always used to hate it when gyms would be beyond crowded the first 2 months of the year. This year I'm looking forward to it because I recently became a personal trainer & it's been super dead lol

Was there a reason you couldn't exercise before??
  • tarac98
    tarac98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started January of 2013, and I still going strong!!! :bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Some people like to think that they're better than other people. It helps them get out of bed in the morning. I say we let them have it, OP.

Ironic post, considering your username.

Irony/Ironic has to be the most misused word in the English language

I was hinting that I thought your statement was immature. It means the opposite of your username, so I think it fits. But I agree that it is usually misused. I think the word "literally" is the most often misused word, but that's for another thread.

If this is an argument over the most often misused word on MFP...it's bacon. It should be chocolate getting all that attention.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    How about choosing to eat differently (healthily).... wait for it..... for forever?

That *is* dieting.

No, I am not "dieting" but I have changed my "diet". Permanently. The word relies on context as you well know.

Yes, you are dieting, as are most of the rest of us here.

The fact it's a long-term diet doesn't change what it is - a diet.

It baffles me why so many people are terrified of this word...

probably because of all the fad diets out there...and most people that "diet" tend to do it for six months and then stop ...

Some people associate "diet" with short term, as opposed to long term ...it is more of a word association thing.

well, for the year that I was actively losing, I WAS ON A DIET! and I don't care to play word games and have others tell me what it is and what it isn't, FOR ME... for me, IT WAS A DIET, because I knew that I would not be eating at a deficit FOR LIFE... so, call it what you will, but I call it a DIET!

ummm you totally missed my point, but thanks for sharing..

no, Im sorry, I was actually responding to the original post correcting the word diet and replacing it with life change. my point was, maybe its a life change for her, but to others, it might very well be a diet. I should have "quoted" better I guess... I got your point, you were acknowledging the simple word association to different people!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I started January of 2013, and I still going strong!!! :bigsmile:
    ditto
    fist-bump-o.gif
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Don't wait...just do it!

did_it_ever_happen_to_you_when_part_18_03.gif

Just needed something to bump this thread with.