Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    but being lied to about Santa was just one factor of many that made for a ****ty childhood though.

and you can't assume that the people who raised you are representative of all religious people. I know a lot of religious people who do a LOT to make the world a better place.

I agree, I have known, and am friends with, many very nice christians.

My point was that a lot of people were saying that they didn't experience anything negative from it, but some people do. I did, in a rather dramatic way, and I have friends who did, but in a "why did you lie to me, I'm never going to trust you again" way.

The issue I have with this is telling children it is true, even when people know it is false. I just don't get it, I don't understand lying about something like that. I don't see how it makes anything more fun. My kids love the holiday, and look forward to it, and get excited by the gifts and mass quantities of cookies... but they know that santa is not real.
    I am going to take a stab at this, but I am assuming there was a LOT more to being upset about finding out Santa wasn't real than just finding out Santa wasn't real.

If your life and relationships are damaged or destroyed over that, you have much bigger issues going on.

There was more to it; it was in that post you didn't read.
    I read it. I get it.

My point is you keep acting like the only issue here is kids "being lied to about Santa." That isn't the thing that made you upset about finding out he wasn't real. And it probably isn't the thing that made your friends so upset, either.

So letting your children believe in Santa on its own is NOT going to cause that kind of heartache unless they are incredibly sheltered and more sensitive than any other child who ever lived.

Actually, it WAS the thing that made my friends upset. They specifically said that they were crushed because their parents lied to them, and everyone perpetuated the lie, and let them believe it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    let them have magic. or hide away in a cave somewhere and don't let your kid out until he is like 11 when the other kids are over Santa. BTW- my 10.5 yo still believes- his position on it is - he could care less if other kids don't believe. As long as the big man keeps delivering the goods- he is onboard!

I wish magic was real. That would be cool.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Is there really a book called The Farting Dog?! I need to find that!

I read one called "Walter the farting dog". He farts in balloons and saves the town or something. I have the walter the farting dog stuffed animal. When you squeeze him...you guessed it...he farts....

D'oh, just saw someone else has the farting plushy too!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    but being lied to about Santa was just one factor of many that made for a ****ty childhood though.

and you can't assume that the people who raised you are representative of all religious people. I know a lot of religious people who do a LOT to make the world a better place.

My point was that a lot of people were saying that they didn't experience anything negative from it, but some people do. I did, in a rather dramatic way, and I have friends who did, but in a "why did you lie to me, I'm never going to trust you again" way.

The issue I have with this is telling children it is true, even when people know it is false. I just don't get it, I don't understand lying about something like that. I don't see how it makes anything more fun. My kids love the holiday, and look forward to it, and get excited by the gifts and mass quantities of cookies... but they know that santa is not real.
    I am going to take a stab at this, but I am assuming there was a LOT more to being upset about finding out Santa wasn't real than just finding out Santa wasn't real.

If your life and relationships are damaged or destroyed over that, you have much bigger issues going on.

I read it. I get it.

My point is you keep acting like the only issue here is kids "being lied to about Santa." That isn't the thing that made you upset about finding out he wasn't real. And it probably isn't the thing that made your friends so upset, either.

So letting your children believe in Santa on its own is NOT going to cause that kind of heartache unless they are incredibly sheltered and more sensitive than any other child who ever lived.

Actually, it WAS the thing that made my friends upset. They specifically said that they were crushed because their parents lied to them, and everyone perpetuated the lie, and let them believe it.
    Then your friends need to experience the world a little bit more. If that's enough to make them THAT upset, they have serious issues.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I can deal with Santa being bogus but just don't tell me that Walter the Farting Dog is fake!!! :huh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Is there really a book called The Farting Dog?! I need to find that!

I actually have it. It's Walter the Farting Dog. I also have the "Walter" stuffed dog that farts when you squeeze it. My wife bought it for me....:bigsmile:

I need this!!!! I already have two "real" farting dogs, but a toy would be awesome. :bigsmile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes. The innocence of youth is gone earlier and earlier every year. Why steal the magic from them any earlier than necessary?
    Believing in Santa =/= innocence. Where did you get that?
    Not in itself. But it is symbolic of the innocence of youth. It's part of it in a lot of ways.

Also, the people calling it a "lie" don't really know what a lie is.
    Okay, tell us what a lie is.
  • emirror
    Options

I read it. I get it.

Then your friends need to experience the world a little bit more. If that's enough to make them THAT upset, they have serious issues.

*sighs* Of course they needed to experience the world more; THEY WERE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIGURED IT OUT. Children get upset over being lied to, sometimes it makes them feel foolish to have believed it. SMH
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    mad-cat_o_978094.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options
    *sighs* Of course they needed to experience the world more; THEY WERE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIGURED IT OUT. Children get upset over being lied to, sometimes it makes them feel foolish to have believed it. SMH

I have lived in four different cities in three different states. I have made friends from literally all over the world. I have never, ever met a single person (until this thread) who was upset about finding out Santa wasn't real or felt that he or she had been "lied to."

If someone's psyche is that fragile, there is more going on.

It's a game of pretend. It's make believe. It's silly and fun. It isn't a lie.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    let them have magic. or hide away in a cave somewhere and don't let your kid out until he is like 11 when the other kids are over Santa. BTW- my 10.5 yo still believes- his position on it is - he could care less if other kids don't believe. As long as the big man keeps delivering the goods- he is onboard!
    "let them have magic. or hide away in a cave somewhere and don't let your kid out until he is like 11 when the other kids are over Santa"
    Why do you suggest such an extreme remedy? If I don't do it your way, this is my other option?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I read it. I get it.

Wow. What was wrong with your friends that they were CRUSHED to find out Santa wasn't real? They must have a very hard time dealing with politics, relationships and every other major aspect of life.

Lying about some mythical gift giver did not destroy you or your friends. Just stop.

DoctorWhoGifMeme6_zpse456d1dc.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    [uote]*sighs* Of course they needed to experience the world more; THEY WERE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIGURED IT OUT. Children get upset over being lied to, sometimes it makes them feel foolish to have believed it. SMH

I have lived in four different cities in three different states. I have made friends from literally all over the world. I have never, ever met a single person (until this thread) who was upset about finding out Santa wasn't real or felt that he or she had been "lied to."

[/quote]

Why you're just being sensible! Wait....I've never met anyone that was upset about the Santa story either. :laugh:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I read it. I get it.

You need to under stand

If a child is innocent enough to feel hurt because those closest to them deceived them they need to grow up.

If they believe but are not hurt when they find the truth than they are innocent and so should not have to grow up.

We just need a time machine and all will be fine.

Where a dr who when you need him?

Wizard there he is^^^
  • One_Fur_luck
    Options
    HO HO HO
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    24wvitt.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Hmm... I have only lived in one state, and I've known several folks who were upset when they found out. Me, I just turned into a detective and confronted my parents. It didn't permanently scar any of them, but kids can get upset pretty easily.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You need to under stand

If a child is innocent enough to feel hurt because those closest to them deceived them they need to grow up.

If they believe but are not hurt when they find the truth than they are innocent and so should not have to grow up.

We just need a time machine and all will be fine.

Where a dr who when you need him?

Wizard there he is^^^

Did you start drinking since you last posted?
  • emirror
    Options

It's only pretend and make believe if every knows it is pretend and make believe. This is told to children as truth. Not as a "let's play pretend" setup.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

I wish magic was real. That would be cool.

29oiohe.jpg