Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options
So my oldest is 3 and asked me about Santa and Christmas. I told him the basic crap that everyone spews and I hate myself for it! Wh does he need to believe in Santa just to have it crushed later in life? Why set them up for disappointment later in life. Am I a bad mom because I don't want to perpetuate this myth?

Thoughts please.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Then don't.. tell him its all a lie and you just buy him gifts and write santa on them.. or let him enjoy the holidays..

Next tell him Easter isn't about a bunny but rather a guy that got betrayed by his friend, then nailed to a cross and bled to death for hours, but he came back.. that gets em every time.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ^^^This!
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it. I like seeing my 4 year old get excited about the magic of Christmas. She's got the rest of her life to grow up and realize how much life can suck. I like letting my kid be a kid.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wasn't crushed when I realized Santa wasn't real. And as an adult, I still have an active and wonderful imagination.

It isn't a lie any more than playing house as children is a lie. It's pretend and it's fun.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Why set them up for disappointment later in life.

Because that's life.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Kids enjoy believing in Santa. Why take that away?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    The wonder and innocents of childhood does not last long, let them enjoy it while they can, reality is a cruel b!tch.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wait...myth? What do you mean? What are you saying?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Would you prefer they be ridiculed at school for not believing? Why deprive them of a 'normal' childhood (at least in my country/area)?

If you're worried about explaining it when he's older, check out this post:
    http://moms.popsugar.com/Telling-Kids-Truth-About-Santa-27332439?fullsite=1
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    hF4E0BBF3
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Kids enjoy believing in Santa. Why take that away?

This. I was also never crushed when I found out Santa wasn't real, even though I was really young. Kids are pretty resilient & its fun to believe while you can.
  • italiangirlinva
    italiangirlinva Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just tell him the truth. If I was a parent, I probably wouldn't do the whole Santa thing. I would tell them it's a story. Everyone has their own choice.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Then don't.. tell him its all a lie and you just buy him gifts and write santa on them.. or let him enjoy the holidays..

Next tell him Easter isn't about a bunny but rather a guy that got betrayed by his friend, then nailed to a cross and bled to death for hours, but he came back.. that gets em every time.
    Easter is actuality pagan celibration of spring that was twisted by the church to help convert pagans. The same goes for Christmas it was a celibration of the days becoming longer again signaling winter wouldn't last for ever.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My parents told my brother and I at a very young age. They told us not to ruin it for our friends and classmates, but explained the real meaning of Christmas. I don't feel like I missed out on anything. We still celebrated and had traditions. I still had a fantastic imagination. I don't think there is harm in either way.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I wasn't crushed when I realized Santa wasn't real. And as an adult, I still have an active and wonderful imagination.

It isn't a lie any more than playing house as children is a lie. It's pretend and it's fun.

This! So true. I would never take that away from my child.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    hF4E0BBF3

lol we think alike!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Jeez, SPOILER ALERT.
  • letsstealahouse
    letsstealahouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tell him the truth. My mom did, and I learned to appreciate Christmas for the family time and spirit of generosity. I'm going to do the same for mine.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Santa's not real?

Seriously...santa helps teach children about unconditional giving, and that's a good life lesson.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    I didn't want to do Santa with my first, but did after awhile everyone convinced me I should. I am very glad I did. She loved Christmas and the magic of Santa, and when she was older we explained everything to her. She started questioning Santa at 6 and at 8 we told her the story of St. Nick. She was not crushed to learn the truth and now helps be Santa for her little brother.