Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options

Replies

• em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    but being lied to about Santa was just one factor of many that made for a ****ty childhood though.

and you can't assume that the people who raised you are representative of all religious people. I know a lot of religious people who do a LOT to make the world a better place.

I agree, I have known, and am friends with, many very nice christians.

My point was that a lot of people were saying that they didn't experience anything negative from it, but some people do. I did, in a rather dramatic way, and I have friends who did, but in a "why did you lie to me, I'm never going to trust you again" way.

The issue I have with this is telling children it is true, even when people know it is false. I just don't get it, I don't understand lying about something like that. I don't see how it makes anything more fun. My kids love the holiday, and look forward to it, and get excited by the gifts and mass quantities of cookies... but they know that santa is not real.

Seriously? I don't mean to sound like I'm belittling people's feelings but this sounds like there were issues that ran much deeper in your friends' relationships with their parents.
    No one likes being lied to but on the list of things that would make me feel betrayed, Santa is so very far down...

I never had the Santa experience though but it sure looked like a lot of fun for my friends who didn't yet know he wasn't real. I'd definitely do it for my kids or something even cooler like Dinovember (https://medium.com/thoughts-on-creativity/6f4cb1886d41) because why the hell not! :)
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    You need to under stand

If a child is innocent enough to feel hurt because those closest to them deceived them they need to grow up.

If they believe but are not hurt when they find the truth than they are innocent and so should not have to grow up.

We just need a time machine and all will be fine.

Where a dr who when you need him?

Wizard there he is^^^

Did you start drinking since you last posted?

The thread rolled nothing has to make sense anymore.:drinker: let's just have some fun now.:happy:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    *sighs* Of course they needed to experience the world more; THEY WERE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIGURED IT OUT. Children get upset over being lied to, sometimes it makes them feel foolish to have believed it. SMH

I have lived in four different cities in three different states. I have made friends from literally all over the world. I have never, ever met a single person (until this thread) who was upset about finding out Santa wasn't real or felt that he or she had been "lied to."

If someone's psyche is that fragile, there is more going on.

It's a game of pretend. It's make believe. It's silly and fun. It isn't a lie.

It's only pretend and make believe if every knows it is pretend and make believe. This is told to children as truth. Not as a "let's play pretend" setup.

i bet you're lots of fun at parties. :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    *sighs* Of course they needed to experience the world more; THEY WERE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIGURED IT OUT. Children get upset over being lied to, sometimes it makes them feel foolish to have believed it. SMH

I have lived in four different cities in three different states. I have made friends from literally all over the world. I have never, ever met a single person (until this thread) who was upset about finding out Santa wasn't real or felt that he or she had been "lied to."

It's only pretend and make believe if every knows it is pretend and make believe. This is told to children as truth. Not as a "let's play pretend" setup.
    *shrug*

Maybe it's "only fun" for you under those circumstances. The fun is IN the believing -- believing in something incomprehensible and magical. What fun is it knowing it isn't real?
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    but being lied to about Santa was just one factor of many that made for a ****ty childhood though.

and you can't assume that the people who raised you are representative of all religious people. I know a lot of religious people who do a LOT to make the world a better place.

My point was that a lot of people were saying that they didn't experience anything negative from it, but some people do. I did, in a rather dramatic way, and I have friends who did, but in a "why did you lie to me, I'm never going to trust you again" way.

The issue I have with this is telling children it is true, even when people know it is false. I just don't get it, I don't understand lying about something like that. I don't see how it makes anything more fun. My kids love the holiday, and look forward to it, and get excited by the gifts and mass quantities of cookies... but they know that santa is not real.
    I am going to take a stab at this, but I am assuming there was a LOT more to being upset about finding out Santa wasn't real than just finding out Santa wasn't real.

If your life and relationships are damaged or destroyed over that, you have much bigger issues going on.

There was more to it; it was in that post you didn't read.
    I read it. I get it.

My point is you keep acting like the only issue here is kids "being lied to about Santa." That isn't the thing that made you upset about finding out he wasn't real. And it probably isn't the thing that made your friends so upset, either.

So letting your children believe in Santa on its own is NOT going to cause that kind of heartache unless they are incredibly sheltered and more sensitive than any other child who ever lived.

Actually, it WAS the thing that made my friends upset. They specifically said that they were crushed because their parents lied to them, and everyone perpetuated the lie, and let them believe it.

Wow. What was wrong with your friends that they were CRUSHED to find out Santa wasn't real? They must have a very hard time dealing with politics, relationships and every other major aspect of life.

Lying about some mythical gift giver did not destroy you or your friends. Just stop.

DoctorWhoGifMeme6_zpse456d1dc.gif

They were children, that is what was "wrong" with them. I was a child, and that is what was "wrong" with me. A lot of people have moments of realizing the world is something that they thought it wasn't, and that happened to be the point for me and some few others. Don't tell me what I experienced is invalid just because you didn't experience the same thing.
  • emirror
    Options

I am going to take a stab at this, but I am assuming there was a LOT more to being upset about finding out Santa wasn't real than just finding out Santa wasn't real.

If your life and relationships are damaged or destroyed over that, you have much bigger issues going on.

There was more to it; it was in that post you didn't read.
    I read it. I get it.

My point is you keep acting like the only issue here is kids "being lied to about Santa." That isn't the thing that made you upset about finding out he wasn't real. And it probably isn't the thing that made your friends so upset, either.

So letting your children believe in Santa on its own is NOT going to cause that kind of heartache unless they are incredibly sheltered and more sensitive than any other child who ever lived.

Actually, it WAS the thing that made my friends upset. They specifically said that they were crushed because their parents lied to them, and everyone perpetuated the lie, and let them believe it.
    Then your friends need to experience the world a little bit more. If that's enough to make them THAT upset, they have serious issues.

You need to under stand

If a child is innocent enough to feel hurt because those closest to them deceived them they need to grow up.

If they believe but are not hurt when they find the truth than they are innocent and so should not have to grow up.

We just need a time machine and all will be fine.

Where a dr who when you need him?

Wizard there he is^^^

LOL! Right?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So when your kids play pretend, do you shout at them, "STOP LYING YOU LITTLE LIARS!"
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Maybe it's "only fun" for you under those circumstances. The fun is IN the believing -- believing in something incomprehensible and magical. What fun is it knowing it isn't real?
    My children have fun all day everyday pretending. They know it's pretend.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

*shrug*

My children have fun all day everyday pretending. They know it's pretend.
    Do they? I bet they believe in a lot of the things you think they "know" are pretend.

I think the real issue here is how many people grow up and forget what it was like to be children.
  • emirror
    Options

I am, actually. We have bonfires, and I spin poi, everyone gets sloshed, and no one talks about Santa. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

*shrug*

It was fun to play with Barbies and pretend she was dating Ken and going to college, etc. I never thought there was a *real* Barbie though. People would have thought me insane and in need of counseling if I did. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So when your kids play pretend, do you shout at them, "STOP LYING YOU LITTLE LIARS!"

Dafuq? :laugh:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    There is a difference, one is a make believe they know is not real, the other is a make believe they ate told is truth. It is in telling them that this make believe is truth that creates the lie, not the make believe its self.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

I am, actually. We have bonfires, and I spin poi, everyone gets sloshed, and no one talks about Santa. :laugh:

what about when your kids blow out the candles on their birthday cakes? do you tell them, "try to blow out all of your candles in one breath, but nothing will happen."?
  • emirror
    Options
    I think the real problem here is that no one wants to be told that they are lying to their children.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

stealing...

...in case i ever have kids and they are cursed with good imaginations.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    I think the real problem here is that no one wants to be told that they are lying to their children.

It's not a lie if the intentions are good.
  • emirror
    Options

what about when your kids blow out the candles on their birthday cakes? do you tell them, "try to blow out all of your candles in one breath, but nothing will happen."?

Blowing out candles is a game (as in, see if you can get them in one breath!!! Yay, you did it!). We don't really talk about making wishes, because they can't conceptualize how a wish could be made true. We talk about things we want, or want to do, and we talk about making plans to make those things happen... but we don't sit around and wish for things.
  • emirror
    Options

It's not a lie if the intentions are good.

*snicker*
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat pizza all day and not get fat again!!!! :huh: