Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options

Replies

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    No magic...If you're interested and want to take the time there are lots of good websites on low carb. I find Mark's Daily Apple (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2nB2xfKH7) is a good starting point. I think the bottom line is that we all have to make an individual choice to eat good, clean food for long-term health and fitness. GIGO
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Steve

You need to change your username to TL_DR
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here:
    a chit chat thread called "Ask Steve"

Steve, what do you think?

Oh, I LOVE that idea!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here:

Oh, I LOVE that idea!

You'd have to answer something random not related to the question. And Guyton's!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    lol maybe I'm dating myself, but reading these posts this is what I keep thinking about:

Otto West: Apes don’t read philosophy.
    Wanda: Yes they do, Otto. They just don’t understand it.

–A Fish Called Wanda

dtwn7.jpg

edit: agh forget it I was trying to respond with a funny high five gif but apparently I'm not as technologically savvy as I thought lol
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    What is your background- do you have a college degree? If so, in what?

Yes I have a college degree. A BS in biology. In addition, I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry doing research for over 20 years. If you were to search for my name in MedLine, you would find that I have co-authored 8 papers that were peer reviewed and published in prestigious journals.

I don't rely on textbooks for my knowledge, now that I am out of college. They are nice to review for the basics, but if I want to engage in a discussion about something scientific, I will always go straight to the source of the most current research available: MedLine. Have you heard of it? I have suggested it for you before.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Just a thought here:

Oh, I LOVE that idea!

You'd have to answer something random not related to the question. And Guyton's!

Somehow I don't think that would be a problem for him.
  • DSTMT
    Options

Your ignorance is amusing. And....somehow endearing.

What is your background- do you have a college degree? If so, in what?

Your condescension is amusing, particularly considering the fact that you're quite obviously talking directly out of your *kitten*. I notice you still haven't provided YOUR credentials, beyond two books that you read and clearly really enjoyed to the exclusion of all others. Anyone can read a textbook and think they know what they're talking about, it doesn't make them right. The people you're arguing with are people who have actually gone to school to learn these things, and they're providing you with multiple scientific articles that prove you're wrong. And yet, you're still being patronizing and repeating the same nonsense that doesn't make any sense. Are you a troll?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Other people have explained the science.

Where?

LOLBroScience, on the first page of this thread.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    So...what's your educational background again? You seem to keep missing that question. One textbook, and a half-assed "study"?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But I will continue to post if I see errors in basic physiology and/or metabolics.

That's a bit self-fulfilling, considering you're the one making the errors. :tongue:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    But I will continue to post if I see errors in basic physiology and/or metabolics.

That's a bit self-fulfilling, considering you're the one making the errors. :tongue:

:laugh:
  • saffron981
    saffron981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Google "low carb" and "metabolic advantage."
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Yup. This.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    So...what's your educational background again? You seem to keep missing that question. One textbook, and a half-assed "study"?

My guess? High school at best. He won't say, because it's not impressive. He hopes that by throwing out more well spaced insults and lies that no one will notice his omission.
  • DSTMT
    Options

My guess? High school at best. He won't say, because it's not impressive. He hopes that by throwing out more well spaced insults and lies that no one will notice his omission.

Yeah I'm sure you're right.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight. My friend is doing it but is unable to explain how it work lol

Thank you

Hi - I've been low-carbing for a few months. I got some non-science type easy to understand info on healthy eating from web sites of zoe harcombe and jonathan bailor

para-phrasing from zoe harcombe for you (not plagiarism because I'm not claiming this stuff as my own!)

“…. exercise and BMR require quite different calories. Exercise is arguably best fuelled by carbohydrate (it provides glucose quickly for the body to use). BMR activities need fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Carbohydrates can be useful for the vitamins and minerals they provide, but the macro nutrient, the carbohydrate itself, can only be used for energy – not cell repair and fighting infection …. it can’t be used for body maintenance – you need to burn if off down the gym or you will gain weight.
    …. The body will always use carbohydrate for fuel first. Hence, if our average person has any glucose in the blood stream or any glycogen (stored glucose) in the body – this will be used to cover any gap in food eaten or activity done. The body can only burn fat when there is no glucose/glycogen available.”

"That’s a significant advantage for dieters and helps to explain the effectiveness of low carbohydrate diets."

See: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/eating-less-will-not-make-us-weigh-less/
    and http://thebailorgroup.com/

Both authors provide scientific references

I don't think of what I'm doing as low carb. It's more a nutrient dense diet. I'm swapping the starchy carbs and crappy fats for calories with non-starchy carbs - lots and lots and HEAPS of vegetables. and healthy fats. It's so much more food! I'm happy pigging out on low carb - and losing weight.
    There are many things wrong with that statement. Mr. Knight mentioned one of them. Another one is the fact that carbs are not just used for energy. They are also used to regulate various hormones in the body, like growth hormone (more carbohydrates actually stimulate growth hormone release, higher fat actually inhibits growth hormone release.)

To say carbs are only for energy shows a complete lack of understanding on biology.

Well I did say I was non-sciency;) and ya know - I really thought id worked it out. Back to the drawing.board.
    I thought - after lots of reading (again - im not science-y inclined)! - I'd have more success with losing weight long term.focusing more on hormone balance. I read the reverse for HGH - that avoiding too many carbs will keep insulin levels low so that it cannot inhibit growth hormone from doing its work. Plus I thought glucose was an insulin antagonist. so then Off I.go.on my low carb keto adventures! ill stick to it. I actually like eating the way I am - which is a nice.change!
    Glucose causes insulin to rise. Insulin is instrumental in shifting the body into anabolic mode. Low insulin actually prevents growth hormone and igf-1 from doing what they do, as they work with insulin and perform similar functions. When insulin drops, glucagon rises, and the body shifts from anabolic back to catabolic, and growth factor and igf-1 are further reduced.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    So what school was that again? "Science Guy University"?
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight. My friend is doing it but is unable to explain how it work lol

Thank you

Hi - I've been low-carbing for a few months. I got some non-science type easy to understand info on healthy eating from web sites of zoe harcombe and jonathan bailor

para-phrasing from zoe harcombe for you (not plagiarism because I'm not claiming this stuff as my own!)

“…. exercise and BMR require quite different calories. Exercise is arguably best fuelled by carbohydrate (it provides glucose quickly for the body to use). BMR activities need fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Carbohydrates can be useful for the vitamins and minerals they provide, but the macro nutrient, the carbohydrate itself, can only be used for energy – not cell repair and fighting infection …. it can’t be used for body maintenance – you need to burn if off down the gym or you will gain weight.
    …. The body will always use carbohydrate for fuel first. Hence, if our average person has any glucose in the blood stream or any glycogen (stored glucose) in the body – this will be used to cover any gap in food eaten or activity done. The body can only burn fat when there is no glucose/glycogen available.”

"That’s a significant advantage for dieters and helps to explain the effectiveness of low carbohydrate diets."

See: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/eating-less-will-not-make-us-weigh-less/
    and http://thebailorgroup.com/

Both authors provide scientific references

I don't think of what I'm doing as low carb. It's more a nutrient dense diet. I'm swapping the starchy carbs and crappy fats for calories with non-starchy carbs - lots and lots and HEAPS of vegetables. and healthy fats. It's so much more food! I'm happy pigging out on low carb - and losing weight.
    There are many things wrong with that statement. Mr. Knight mentioned one of them. Another one is the fact that carbs are not just used for energy. They are also used to regulate various hormones in the body, like growth hormone (more carbohydrates actually stimulate growth hormone release, higher fat actually inhibits growth hormone release.)

To say carbs are only for energy shows a complete lack of understanding on biology.

Well I did say I was non-sciency;) and ya know - I really thought id worked it out. Back to the drawing.board.
    I thought - after lots of reading (again - im not science-y inclined)! - I'd have more success with losing weight long term.focusing more on hormone balance. I read the reverse for HGH - that avoiding too many carbs will keep insulin levels low so that it cannot inhibit growth hormone from doing its work. Plus I thought glucose was an insulin antagonist. so then Off I.go.on my low carb keto adventures! ill stick to it. I actually like eating the way I am - which is a nice.change!
    Glucose causes insulin to rise. Insulin is instrumental in shifting the body into anabolic mode. Low insulin actually prevents growth hormone and igf-1 from doing what they do, as they work with insulin and perform similar functions. When insulin drops, glucagon rises, and the body shifts from anabolic back to catabolic, and growth factor and igf-1 are further reduced.

That's absolutely.......RIGHT!

Tigersword, what the heck are you doing on this board, anyway? :)

So - So an ideal GH enhancing diet would include some carbs, but not an excessive amount. And the focus would be on non starchy and low glycemic carbs?

I this week put my carbs up to 20% for the Christmas silly season management - might stick to that for longer than planned and see what happens - thank you!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    So what school was that again? "Science Guy University"?

I :heart: Bill Nye!!
This discussion has been closed.