Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That said, you CAN gain weight on Low Carb, simply by consuming enough calories. however, its' very hard to gain FAT weight because the hormone that stores fat (i.e. adipose tissue) is absent. I've been on low carb for some time and while losing fat have been gaining muscle. but I do exercise.

Those who insist a calorie is just a calorie are simply incorrect but I don't want to argue with them. i'm just going to keep doing it and getting the results I get as does everyone I know who actually stops arguing about it and tries it.

Keep doing it, that's fine. Whatever works for you. But know that there are plenty of people who gain fat weight eating low carb.

Really? I find that hard to believe if they were sticking to their macros. Got any sources for that?

I wasn't talking about people who are doing IIFYM (which has net calories as a large component for weight loss, btw.), I was talking about ones who eat low carb & high calorie, expecting to lose weight but instead gain it.
    I could give photos and phone numbers as my sources. They'll swear on a stack of bibles that low carb is the way to go, won't eat a bite of white bread or pasta, meanwhile they're over 200 lbs and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

Btw... Not muscle weight.

None of the lower carb /low carb people I know overeat calories (most of them track calories as well). They may go crazy with meat and fat for the first week or two but then it tapers off to approximately TDEE-20%. That's one of the main benefits of lower carb eating--it controls appetite.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    That said, you CAN gain weight on Low Carb, simply by consuming enough calories. however, its' very hard to gain FAT weight because the hormone that stores fat (i.e. adipose tissue) is absent. I've been on low carb for some time and while losing fat have been gaining muscle. but I do exercise.

Those who insist a calorie is just a calorie are simply incorrect but I don't want to argue with them. i'm just going to keep doing it and getting the results I get as does everyone I know who actually stops arguing about it and tries it.

Keep doing it, that's fine. Whatever works for you. But know that there are plenty of people who gain fat weight eating low carb.

Really? I find that hard to believe if they were sticking to their macros. Got any sources for that?

I wasn't talking about people who are doing IIFYM (which has net calories as a large component for weight loss, btw.), I was talking about ones who eat low carb & high calorie, expecting to lose weight but instead gain it.
    I could give photos and phone numbers as my sources. They'll swear on a stack of bibles that low carb is the way to go, won't eat a bite of white bread or pasta, meanwhile they're over 200 lbs and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

None of the lower carb /low carb people I know overeat calories (most of them track calories as well). They may go crazy with meat and fat for the first week or two but then it tapers off to approximately TDEE-20%. That's one of the main benefits of lower carb eating--it controls appetite.

Guess who doesn't know the people I do?

Lower carb ain't helping them at all.

They are living sedimentary lifestyles, not concerned with calories because they are under the weird-azz impression that demon carbs have made them fat, so as long as they don't eat carbs, the fitness gods will shrink them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Guess who doesn't know the people I do?

Lower carb ain't helping them at all.

They are living sedimentary lifestyles, not concerned with calories because they are under the weird-azz impression that demon carbs have made them fat, so as long as they don't eat carbs, the fitness gods will shrink them.
    Sedimentary? :smile: It works.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's one of the main benefits of lower carb eating--it controls appetite.

I did low carb for a year, with several friends. It did not "control appetite" in any of us.

What it did do was produce insanely strong cravings for the long list of verboten items.
  • ramseyjoseph83
    ramseyjoseph83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your body enters ketosis after several days of limiting carbs. Ketosis is a state which forces the body to burn stored proteins for energy instead of carbs. Proteins are stored in fat, so the body is forced to burn fat to get to the stored proteins that are stored in fat. This is just the basic, but low carb diets such as Atkins can really jump start weight loss. I have been on the Atkins diet since Feb 2013 and am nearing 100 lbs lost. I limit my carbs to around 30 per day and do not count calories, fat, proteins, etc. Hope this helps.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The body releases insulin when the sugars released from carbohydrates are in the bloodstream. Insulin is the hormone in the body that 'stores fat', i.e. converts sugars to stored fat. Insulin is the only hormone in the body that stores fat. all other hormones digest stored fat for energy. so essentially a low carb diet reduces the insulin floating around your body and reduces the opportunity to 'store fat' and allows the other hormones that release fat to do their job. in effect, a low carb diet is a low insulin diet and allows 'fat digesting' hormones to burn through your fat.

Ketones are released when the body digests fat. healthy cells in the body can digest BOTH FATS and SUGARS. If there are no Sugars available they will digest FATS. So a diet that is low in sugar/starch/carbs will cause them to switch to consuming FATS.

Curiously, Cancer Cells do not digest FAT, only Sugars. so a low carb diet is also being explored as a supplemental therapy for cancer patients.

That's the simplest explanation I can offer.

Insulin does NOT store fat. It's not any part of its job. That's a myth perpetuated by the low carb pushers. Insulin drives nutrients into muscle tissue. As for the body not being able to store fat without insulin? That's also 100% wrong. Dietary fat is actually very easy to store as fat, it can be stored in adipose tissue pretty much as is. Protein can be converted and stored as fat as well.

And of course, this ignores the other fact that eating protein spikes insulin just as much as eating carbs does. So even if you believe that insulin drives fat storage, eating protein spikes insulin anyway, no carbs required.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your body enters ketosis after several days of limiting carbs. Ketosis is a state which forces the body to burn stored proteins for energy instead of carbs. Proteins are stored in fat, so the body is forced to burn fat to get to the stored proteins that are stored in fat. This is just the basic, but low carb diets such as Atkins can really jump start weight loss. I have been on the Atkins diet since Feb 2013 and am nearing 100 lbs lost. I limit my carbs to around 30 per day and do not count calories, fat, proteins, etc. Hope this helps.

sigh ..there is no 'jumpstarting' weight loss…just eat less than you consume and you will lose weight.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I'm willing to bet that you have been in caloric deficit whether you counted calories or not. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Carbs is the first fuel your body uses to lose weight. After 15 minutes of exersize your body uses fat after the carbs. So you take out the carbs and eat only good carbs your body will burn fat first. Reason why you crave carbs is because your body isn;t getting what it needs thus making you get bigger. If you give your body what it needs which is high protein and fat low sugar and low carbs you dont be grazing and youll lose weihgt effortlessly......
    You see the food pyramid corelection and obeseity its carbs! I have been on low carbs and I dont feel like deprived. Theres more to my story if you wanna see my blog ill give you my youtube

Derp. Pure, essential DERP.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

No, proteins are not stored in fat. Fat is stored in fat.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Is that you educational resume Steve? We've been waiting for your answer, since you asked me, and I obliged.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

You'd think one look at a slab of meat would make that obvious...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Is that you educational resume Steve? We've been waiting for your answer, since you asked me, and I obliged.

If that was his education, he wouldn't have written those sentences in such an indirect manner.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If that was his education, he wouldn't have written those sentences in such an indirect manner.

That response is right up there with "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is."
  • QuietBloom
    Options

That response is right up there with "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

True that. He obviously feels he is excluded from following his very own principals regarding the right to speak with authority on physiology. Isn't there a name for that particular type of disorder?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Some just find it easier to maintain a caloric deficit on low carb and lose weight. Usually because they cannot personally moderate their intake of foods that are high in carbs and fat. I did initially feel the same thing on low carb but it caused me to binge as would miss the carbs.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, this is the education one has to have before they can speak with any authority on human physiology, and truly understand a book like Guyton's.

One year (two semesters) of physiology, which requires one year of biochemistry, which requires one year of organic chemistry, which requires one year of general chemistry.

So four years. And in that four years you should throw in two years of biology, one year of which should be cellular biology.

That is what I mean when I comment on erroneous assertions people post, and say "people don't know what they don't know."

When someone claims to be an authority on physiology and metabolics, they should have the above as a starting resume.

Steve, if that was the education needed to speak with any authority, you should be kneeling before me.

First off Guyton's is a good physiology text book and yes, it is commonly used as a third year physiology book (with biochem, organic, chem, bio and cell bio background in place)
    Hell, I also have physical chemistry, physical bio chemistry, cell transport, comp. physiology, neurobiology, and genetics classes in my past.

It doesn't make me an expert or an authority given the complexity of the subject. There are some very passionate laymen that do not have that background and are authorities in the area. It really depends on the depth of study beyond Guyton's.

Guyton's remains just a good textbook. If you don't complement it with other sources it's solid but basic.

I want to thank you, I finally talked to my daughter and got my old copy back. I can confirm that at least up to the 7th edition there is no mention of total triglyceride turnover being 3 weeks or less or 3 months or whatever number you want to pull out of a hat. So again, what edition and what page?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I think that some get a little info and confuse things. Perhaps this is what the "proteins stored in fat" poster did.

<Steve> Many amino acids can be converted to acetyl-CoA and then converted into fatty acids and then into triglycerides which are in turn stored in fat. Look in Guyton's. <\Steve>
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's right, your body does not lose more fat when you don't eat carbs but you lose it faster. Reason for this is quite complicated so I'll try to explain this very simple without any complicated terms or mechanisms.

The most of your bodyfat is burned by night or when you work out. In both cases your body will first burn the carbs that are still in your blood from what you consumed overday and didn't use. So when you ate a big pasta dinner that calories will be burned first. This is because burning fat causes your body a lot of energy and a body is always determined to use as little energy as possible to save for harder times (bad for us). So, when you eat less carbs at night or during the day your body will start to burn fat earlier.
    There is also a second part of the story: when you don't consume any carbs from wheat-based meals or refined sugar (and little natural sugar) your body gets a carb deficit. What it does then is change it's metabolism so that it can make carbs from protein. This also costs the body a lot of energy so you are burning of more during the proces. Anyway this should be taken into serious consideration since it means you can also eat a limited amount of fruit and veggies that also contain carbs. Therefore you have to upgrade your protein and fat intake (sounds weird to eat fat while you want to lose it, but it works that way).
    I have this information because I had a lot of contacts in the bodybuilder scene, I wasn't one myself but I knew some of the tricks they used. From my personal experience I can tell you that I looked and felt the best when I didn't eat carbs after lunch. But I never cut out the fruit! And I think you shouldn't do it as a lifestyle, for 6 weeks is fine but going without carbs for years can't be good for you.

Anyways, be careful and treat your body right, that's most important :) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.