Don't call me.....

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I also say yes/no ma'am to all women regardless of age.

It is kind of fun watching the mid-to-late 30s crowd flinch a little from it. :laugh:

I am 37 and I don't mind ma'am at all. I didn't even mind it in my 20s.

I have noticed a lot of service people only use ma'am with women who present themselves nicely. I don't mean dressed up or necessarily professional but "proper" in a way. Women even at my age who are really slovenly, trashy, etc, just don't get ma'am as much in my observation - so to me it's not an insult.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Baby.

I cannot stand being called 'baby'. It drives me up the wall when I hear other relationship people call each other 'baby'.

What soppy names could you do without when you're in a relationship? Sweetie? Love?

Do you hate it when people you don't know call you lovvie or sweetie?

Note: Keep it clean people, this thread is about the soppy names, not the rude and crude.

Hey Baby
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    By my name if you are my husband....this usually means he is upset about something, normally from him it is baby, hun, honey. From strangers, baby irritates the crap out of me. Plus I hate Mam, I am only 36 years old.

ETA: agree with the above on the Daddy and Mommy thing...yuck

At 36 you are firmly in "ma'am" territory.

Doesn't mean we like it.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

It is kind of fun watching the mid-to-late 30s crowd flinch a little from it. :laugh:

I have noticed a lot of service people only use ma'am with women who present themselves nicely. I don't mean dressed up or necessarily professional but "proper" in a way. Women even at my age who are really slovenly, trashy, etc, just don't get ma'am as much in my observation - so to me it's not an insult.

This helped me with my view of it, never thought of it that way.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed some women like to hear their first and middle name like, "Judy Marie commeeer"
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

It is just a matter of habit with me, an automatic response. All guys get "sir" as well during a casual encounter. It is just a matter of politeness.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love pet names...Babe, baby, sweetheart, luv. I don't like hun unless you're one of my girls and i'm venting to u lol. I tend to call my friends hun in texts, but luv most of the other time!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    At 63 it is very condescending when some very young person calls me sweetie or honey. Especially in the service world. I HATE being called Ma'am. I can totally remember the first time I was called Ma'am. It was at Taco Bell. I had just stepped in the door and the young girls behind the counter says "I can take your order Ma'am." I said "well Ma'am I have yet to decide what I want." I swear she turned green.

My name is Shirley and I love being called by my birth name.

Shirley in cold Oregon.

What did you want the young girl at Taco Bell to call you? It seems to me she was very polite.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I say baby to anything female. We wouldn't get along OP.

I also say Chief to all my buddies. Is that annoying?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I usually don't mind being called pet names if they are reasonable.

I take it all on a case by case basis.

I just don't want to perceive that I'm being insulted.

Basic decency.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I say baby to anything female. We wouldn't get along OP.

I also say Chief to all my buddies. Is that annoying?

It could be a little demeaning if you said wassup Chief to me and then Tom walks in and you call him chief. What? I thought I was your Chief? =)
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't mind pet names in a relationship, but I dislike when strangers call me honey or baby - especially when they're young enough to be my child.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Yes! I call all of my staff either Sir or Maam.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    My hubby and I use "baby" more than our real names and I love it!!! I don't really like anyone other than him calling me baby though.

I don't really like being called ma'am but I appreciate the respect aspect of it.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Don't call me her name....
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Yes! I call all of my staff either Sir or Maam.

Just how big is your "staff"? :bigsmile:
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I die a little every time someone calls me ma'am. Every. Single. Time.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    To be honest I kinda dig pet names in the context of a relationship:) My problem is when they're used in a work environment.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Baby.

I cannot stand being called 'baby'. It drives me up the wall when I hear other relationship people call each other 'baby'.

What soppy names could you do without when you're in a relationship? Sweetie? Love?

Do you hate it when people you don't know call you lovvie or sweetie?

Note: Keep it clean people, this thread is about the soppy names, not the rude and crude.

beats when my husband calls me 'dude' or 'man'

I broke him of that though that BOTHERED me
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I have never been called anything other than my name so I have a fascination with pet names and terms of endearment. I melt a little every time someone calls me one.