I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options
Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Number of calories and "good for you" are meaningless.

this!

i had subway yesterday 6 inch subway club with light mayo, just over 400 cals, fit my macros nicely....
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Subway Is only healthy if you make the right choices. Pastrami is not the healthiest meat on their menu. I always order either turkey, chicken or veggie with no cheese and low cal dressing. If you had a foot long then that will set you back min 600 cals for most subs. Subway can be a healthier option but sodium will be high in most items. It's like anything else, you have to try and stick to the healthier choices.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Advertising,
    You're looking at it wrong!

Just because the adverts say subway is good for you doesn't mean it's true... what does good for you even mean?

There are a lot of different subs in that shop and some are lower calories than others and some will have more protein/fat than others... either stay clear or just choose a sub that works for you
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Do the 6 inch turkey on wheat, no cheese. Add lots of veggies, and a light topping.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    A six inch turkey and black forest ham with nos chesse is 290 calories. (with the lite mayo) Thats what I usually have.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body
    2) micro- and macro-nutrient delivery systems

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I get a footlong ham or turkey on wheat with lettuce, jalepenos, red onion and tomato with no sauce and its only around 560 cals :)
  • barbi_jean
    barbi_jean Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always get turkey or ham on 9-grain honey oat bread with lots of veggies.. Instead of a calories full condiment like mayo, I get lots of vinegar!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the pastrami? I don't know how many calories that has in it, but I usually get a 6 inch ham and pepperjack cheese sandwich with some veggies and spicy mustard and vinegar. Even when I got it on the Italian herbs and cheese bread the other day, it was only 390 calories altogether. The only semi-bad part was it was a bit high in sodium, so I just made sure to drink lots of water, as usual. You can go to any food place and either have it fit in your calories, or not fit. Just depends on what you get and how many calories you can eat in a day.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.

This has helped me massively in my weight loss and subsequent maintenance. Good advice.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Subways are just full of salt aswell
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

If you're thinking that Subway is supposed to have healthy, dietetic options, based on Jared's success, you should know that he ate a 6 inch sub for lunch and for dinner almost daily to lose weight. What kind of sub is the key point. You should know that he ate only veggie subs, no dressings or oils, no cheese, and no veggie patty! Basically, he ate a dry salad on a sub bun.

I'm sure anyone could lose weight that way, BUT who would want to, and how healthy is that really?

Not to mention, the notion that it's "fresh" isn't true, either. The bread comes in frozen dough sticks that are thawed, proofed, then baked. The deli meats are pre-sliced and packaged (like typical lunch meat), and the veggies come from sealed packs and cans. The only fresh items are: lettuce (if you call pre-shredded lettuce "fresh"... it passes, I think), tomatoes, and onions. ..probably the avocado, too.

How do I know this? I managed a Subway when I was 21. I did NOT lose weight eating there daily, either. (I ate salads drenched in dressing and 6 inch meatball subs, melts, tunas, and cold cut trios, though.)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

that's what happens when you eat POVERTY MACROS
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Really it just comes down to making better choices.

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

1) fuel for your body

+1
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, I'm totally okay with the calories in it, but I always have the veggie delite with olive oil.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Uum, all I can add is I like Jimmy Johns better. As mentioned no good or bad foods. Make Em fit into your daily macros and calories. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

1) fuel for your body

This ^^^
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Delicious, fatty meats aren't going to be low in calories.