I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

It did? That's worrying. I just checked the subway website and a 6 inch pastrami is only 580 cals.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Uum, all I can add is I like Jimmy Johns better. As mentioned no good or bad foods. Make Em fit into your daily macros and calories. :)

Jimmy Johns are the bomb. We have another one in the area called Erberts and Gerberts, same kinda quirky subs!

As far as SCUMWAY - I will say that i use to eat that a ton.... I work a half mile down the road from one....and its on my noon walking path. I use to eat the spicy italian with spicy mustard pepper jack and lots of banana peppers, or the seafood with peperjack and southwest sauce (i got looks all the time, but its hella good) and again banana peppers and all with tons of onions. I always went with the Honey Oat bread too. I know the sodium killed me, and since i always piled in a footlong (no chips or drink tho) i know the calories were rediculous on those.

Now when I go (if i crave a lunch other than my usual salad) I will always get a 6 inch only (or for b-fast ill get a 3 inch) flatbread, usually chicken breast, with no cheese, with onion spinach, green pepper, tomato(occaisionally) and a little salt and pepper. All are approx 400 calories.

-CK
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that alot of places now all have their nutrition info on a website somewhere. I'm probably behind on this discovery but there are probably alot of folks who don't know. I think it is awesome so when you decide to go out you can preplan somewhat what to order or at least bring a cheat sheet and deide when you get there. I did that when we went to P.F> Changs a few weeks ago. It cuts down on stress when put on the spot by the server. :bigsmile:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Delicious, fatty meats aren't going to be low in calories.

or sodium.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Einsteins bagels has some good healthier sandwich choices too!!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

It did? That's worrying. I just checked the subway website and a 6 inch pastrami is only 580 cals.

Add in Mayo, and the special sauces, and it won't take long to reach the limit if she's a 1200er.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    and the special sauces

Giggity. :laugh:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I prefer the buffalo chicken with lots of veggies and no (additional) sauces, personally. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is medically advised to limit sodium, though.

There are a couple of good calorie calculators for Subway and other fast food restaurants on Teh Interwebz, if you're interested.
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would just stay away from Subway all together, cant remember the last time i went there and ive never though of it as healthy. :) x
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway, but I'm very careful as to what I order. If I'm going to indulge in a sandwich, I get the roasted chicken on 9-grain bread with lots of veggies and mustard. This selection is low in fat AND doesn't have all of the sodium of the processed meats. The bread is definitely the calorie culprit. I've discovered that I actually prefer their chopped salad made with the roasted chicken and eaten with their fat-free Italian dressing. Altogether, the salad is around 150 calories and, for me, very filling.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My subway double chicken salad is 600 calories, but I eat it all for lunch and I enjoy every last bite!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Subway is pretty much the only fast food place I can go and get a decent size salad with chicken, custom made for me with a variety of veggies that I can choose, without having to pick out the cheese or nuts or croutons or other high calorie add ons that most fast food places add to their pre-made salads. That makes it healthy and fit into my day.

Just like I can go into the health food store near me that has a hot buffet table...and end up completely blowing my calories in one meal.

It's all about making better choices, no matter where you are.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I see pretty much the exact stuff I was gonna say. It can be a good choice, but is generally very high in sodium etc.

What puzzles me is all of the people who claim to lose so much weight on the "Jared diet" of Subway. That's a lot of sodium if you eat 1-2 Subway subs every single day! I can only assume those people were previously eating a pretty terrible diet for that to work so "well".
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Add in Mayo, and the special sauces, and it won't take long to reach the limit if she's a 1200er.

I was just thinking the same thing but she has her diary closed.

OP...did you get the info from th MFP database or the Subway website?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    "Good for you" is highly debatable, but I eat at Subway fairly often because it's the only fast food that actually fills me up. As others said, ham, turkey and no sauces is best. I splurge on a footlong spicy italian sometimes if I had a small breakfast.

Word to the wise, only order the tuna in places where you've been before and which you know have good sanitary measures. I've gotten food poisoning from that once.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    All meats are "processed". Butchering an animal for human consumption is a process.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Did you walk to the store and back?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat deli turkey and deli roast beef regularly, and while I do try to get low-sodium versions if it's available, even eating the regular kind has never thrown me off or felt "bad" or ruined me in any way. Obviously, I'm doing ok *points to ticker below*, and the high blood pressure I had at 300 pounds is gone, even with "processed" meats in my diet.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body
    2) micro- and macro-nutrient delivery systems

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.

why?