I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I recommend Firehouse Subs - Hook & Ladder - medium on wheat, no cheese, no mayo. I think its 390 calories and it will definitely fill you up!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    In honor of all of you who think Subway is unhealthy and will inhibit your weightloss I will eat there for lunch today - foot long turkey sandwich with all the trimmings. You're welcome.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    A few others pointed this out, but I will reiterate.

"Good for you" is an entirely subjective term that requires context. If you are aware of the nutrient breakdown of the Subway sandwiches, you can easily fit them into your day.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    If I eat at work, I normally get a 3 inch turkey sandwich on flat bread, no cheese. I don't eat there a whole lot, I either eat before work or bring my lunch with me.

3"? wha?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If I eat at work, I normally get a 3 inch turkey sandwich on flat bread, no cheese. I don't eat there a whole lot, I either eat before work or bring my lunch with me.

3"? wha?

what-she-said-lg.gif
  • wheird
    Options

3"? wha?

A 3"er would be hard pressed to satisfy anyone.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    the sandwiches can be healthy if you choose wisely. I.E. if you don't add extra cheese or put cheese at all, don't have the high caloric/fat dressings, don't add bacon. My PT has told me not to eat it at all just because their breads are not whole grain and is loaded with hidden sugar. However, I am trying to lose a ton of weight and I need to get rid of the processed sugars . This may be okay for you. Typically what I used to get was: Veggie sub (oh I'm also cheap so I go for the cheapest thing, also the meats add on more calories/fat/protein/carbs), multi-grain bread, load on the veggies, yellow mustard only. That's it. The bread makes up 75% of the calories.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Cold Cuts on the norm are not really that good for you since they contain a lot of sodium. Low sodium options are available for certain things. I wouldn't even mess with Subways, they don't even use Boars Head meats!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body
    2) micro- and macro-nutrient delivery systems

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.

This x100!!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

580 calories is "dam near" your daily intake?

you need to eat more.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

3"? wha?

I'm used to it
  • wheird
    Options

3"? wha?

I'm used to it

Awesome, impossible for me to disappoint then!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

3"? wha?

I'm used to it
    You poor, poor girl :sad:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the mindset people have that equate the # of calories (or lack thereof) and food. Just because something may be higher in calories does not automatically mean it isn't "good for you".
  • PikaKnight
    Options

580 calories is "dam near" your daily intake?

you need to eat more.

Whoa. Did someone just out themselves?
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?

:eye roll:

I'm vegan, so the answer would be no :-)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?

So you'd rather starve to death? Wow. That's conviction right there.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you need to use common sense in things like this.
    i go for a turkey and ham with all the salad and seet onion sauce on wheat bread, its like 350 cals MAX
  • wheird
    Options

Your conviction is strong. I would likely eat a human to survive.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Yeah-ok.gif